Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 10:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Safari GX 4x4 Mineral Red - Booked and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting...

The deed is done - booked a GX 4x4 on 4th July!

The decision cycle:

Driving an Alto for the last couple of years has its own pro's and con's.

Pro's being:
Very peppy vehicle to drive
Best one to move around in heavy traffic situations
Very good fuel efficiency
Low maintenance
Saving me from couple of tight spots! (Love you for that!)

Con's being:
No one notices you on the highway!
No one gives way even in city traffic!
Family grows large, car grows small (perception!)

So, it that time in life when you decide what the next steed is going to be.

Having been used to given step-motherly treatment on the highway, in traffic and in any other place where "big is might" situations, I had decided that the next one is to be a big vehicle. "Big" as in a non-sedan. Wanted to feel the happiness when buses & trucks jump back to their lane to give way to you; wanted to know how it feels when all those pesky cycles and auto's think twice and not jump across the vehicle.

So for all this the only solution was to get one of the big guys.

Of the Scorpio, Innova and Safari, based on the features, VFM and the comfort, it was going to be the Safari.

First thought - too long! Second thought - TATA!!!

But then, looked at the options available for the amount paid - nothing else came close.

Did couple of TD's and the family felt comfortable in the middle row and gave their vote for this guy. The space inside also helped since, based on their current experience with the Alto, this one is a playground!!!

Also, when buying a SUV what fun if not a 4x4 - option checked!

I had decided that the vehicle needed at least ABS and the timing of GX could not have been better. Lucky me! (Oh yeah!)

And with no one else either in the family or known circle having a Safari, this was one decision made purely out of the user experiences posted here and what I feel / felt about the whole thing. I am sure there will be some niggles / issues / pains, but I hope the user experience and the returns will be worth it.

So there you have it - zeroed in on the Safari GX 4x4.

The color choice moved from Pearl White to dual tone Black and then finally to dual tone Red.

The dealer experience:
Prerana Motors: The sales staff at Perana are a great set! They were the ones who came down multiple times to my place and also helped in arranging for the bank loan!

I would give full marks to the team. Wonderful job guys!

Concord Motors: Went to Mysore road showroom and they say TD vehicle not available. Give my card and ask them to send the vehicle the next day for a TD.

One week later they call and say that they are coming for TD. I told them who asked, they mention my previous weeks request!!! Told them I do TD at my convenience and not theirs!!!

Few rounds of negotiation (not that I am good at it) I went for booking at Concord. I had told the sales person that it all boiled down to who can give me the best offer and this is what tilted in Concords favor.

Went with my daughter and paid the booking amount.

The loan process:
Went for SBI. Not that my previous loan experience with ICICI was bad; it was good, very good infact. Never faced any issues either with payment or with the NOC. But their interest rates were a killer! And with SBI's 8% new scheme, I am happier!

Documents given to agent and all done and cleared. Approval got within 10 working days. Yet to go and get the draft done.

UPDATE (as of yesterday evening): Got the loan process work also done. Appointment at 2pm and as usual the person was not there at his desk. He came 10 minutes later to say that he has pending files and it will take another 1.5 hrs to get to mine. Another person of 1pm appointment goes, and he tells him the same story (!!!). That guy throws a tantrum! This gets the attention of the Chief Manager in the next bay and he offers to do both of ours (thanks a ton buddy for throwing a tantrum!)

Silky smooth! All documents explained and emi, options, all set out well! Signed all document, gave PDI's and out in 1.5 hrs (this included a visit to the Bangalore main branch to pay the charges, since I do not have a SBI account).

What I noticed in that 1.5hrs is that this person is over worked! He has to do so many things at the same time! And people, his sub-ordinates, walk up to him every 5 minutes with a doubt or an issue with the customer tagging along! Told the manager that I thought government jobs where a honey-moon compared to IT jobs and that got him laughing! (which also got him helping me out with all the remaining inter-departmental work, aka, check validation; he got the office boy to do it for me! <grin>).

The draft has not been made out since the vehicle is not delivered. He told me to let the dealer come and collect it quoting my file number once delivery is done.

The waiting starts:
Booked on 4th July. Some time during last week was told that the vehicle is waiting for dispatch. I tell Concord that I need to do a PDI on their stock yard before registration and also that I need the VIN number as soon the vehicle is dispatched. All promised that it will be done.

Got a call sometime during mid of last week that the vehicle is yet to be dispatched and also that they did not have a 4x4 in stock. The previous mentioned vehicle was a 4x2. So now, vehicle under production!

And got an update today (Saturday 18th July) that the vehicle is all waiting for dispatch and will be done in a day or two. Not going to believe them unless they confirm and arrival date and give the VIN number.

So there you go, the circus starts.

Update, as of last evening: Seems like the vehicle is not yet dispatched. These guys are pushing their luck. More than 2 weeks and still no sigh of the vehicle. Patience is running very thin here! (Sign of things to come??? )

Experience with Concord is getting very frustrating. This, combined with the experiences posted here earlier, I am getting very very bad feeling of the whole thing!

And on a closing note:

I am sure many of you might be thinking that another one bites the bullet and that some people never learn till then burn their finger themselves, blah blah and few more blah's!

Am not sure if this might be a decision that I might regret (especially with so many big L's involved, I hope not), but then, I know that things will not be smooth all the way and am prepared for that. I just hope that it does not become too much to handle.

Regardless of all that, I am sure (definitely sure) that the Safari will put smiles (read "grin") on my face more number of times than a frown. And with a 4x4, need I say more!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 21st July 2009 at 10:26.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Now I can "officially" Congratulate you - Way to go

Frustrating having to wait for the vehicle & even more frustrating to deal with lack of accurate information. But then, as you know already, the wait is going to be worth it!
Old 21st July 2009, 10:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

3 weeks is a bare minimum for a 4x4, I suggest you hold your horses till 4th August.
And Congratulations.
Look at the bright side too. Delay means that concorde does not have the vehicle, and you are actually getting a vehicle manufactured recently.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Now I can "officially" Congratulate you - Way to go

But then, as you know already, the wait is going to be worth it!
Thanks Suman! And yes, worth the wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
3 weeks is a bare minimum for a 4x4, I suggest you hold your horses till 4th August.
And Congratulations.
Look at the bright side too...you are actually getting a vehicle manufactured recently.
Thanks TSK!

Understood about the 3 weeks delay, but as it stands now, the vehicle is not even dispatched. Add 5~7 days travel and ~3 days registration, it will go to a month.

But (BUT), I am happy since I AM definite that I am getting a new vehicle, as you said!

I guess insisting on getting the VIN number as soon as they have the vehicle dispatch intimation from the factor was the best thing I did when I booked!
Old 21st July 2009, 10:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Choice & Congrats HappyWheels

Give or take .. max 4 weeks is what it might take.. every plant loads batch of colors of vehicle in a lot. So when the mineral red turn comes, you veh will be loaded.

Check with your dealer to call up stock yard of Pune and find out if 4x4 is avail there.. Cajole them to finding out..
There might be 1 or 2 from June Batch..I waited 1 month for my color green originally and then changed to black as it was available from the latest stock.
Also take the details of when they booked the order no. etc etc from them, if at all they have loaded their order to TML.

All the best..
Old 21st July 2009, 10:53   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Rahul,

Ah, they do painting also in batches... mmm... now that might be doing me in!

Last saturday I forced the guy to check with the plant about the status of the vehicle. I think I might just wait for another week and then see about the available stock and ask them to pick that up.

But then, I am not in a big hurry, hence I am willing to wait; but even that has it limits.
Old 21st July 2009, 11:08   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
And Congratulations.
Look at the bright side too. Delay means that concorde does not have the vehicle, and you are actually getting a vehicle manufactured recently.
True! I hope that no one gets into a problem the way that I have got into. Mods, I know that this is off topic here, but I just needed to know if anyone is interested in talking to newspapers regarding the concorde dealership/service. I am planning to do that even if I do get a replacement (they have promised to get back to me at this today).

@HappyWheels: Congrats!!! PM me for the PDI. Now I I am going to be busy during the Aug 1st weekend as I am shifting houses, maybe we can get some time before that on a weekday. It's better to wait for a new car!
Old 21st July 2009, 11:15   #8
BANNED

Finally...

Finally the secret is out....

Good color selection I must say, and yes looks like you will get a freshly baked piece from TML Pune....All the best....what was the cost on road and the break up??
Old 21st July 2009, 11:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Tejaswi & Dev!

Will PM you guys when the tonner lands!

Not to worry Tejas, I am pretty sure that the vehicle will not be around during that weekend!

The price break down:
Ex-SR: 10,72,169 (Now where was that post saying Honda is not passing the budget benefit? Look at TATA! El cheapo!!!)

Insurance: 38,139 (Showroom offer; getting almost 13k less from external agents for a vehicle value of 10.80laks!)

Road Tax: 1,88,705 (@16%, this is day light robbery for the road and quality of new roads we have here!) (EDIT: 16% tax and 10% cess on that!!! I am loving it! )

Handling charges: 5,000

Extended warranty: 6,500

Total On road: 13,10,512

Discounts :
Current TATA discount: 20,000

Corporate discount: 6,000

Last edited by HappyWheels : 21st July 2009 at 12:01.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:00   #10
BHPian

Woah HappyWheels, this is the second best gadget You would own after the HD

So...
You get the HD, I get the TD2
You get the Safari 4wd, I should atleast get the Scorpio 2wd

Congrats buddy.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:02   #11
Team-BHP Support

From an Alto to a Safari?!! :O
Man, that sure is some transition!

Congrats on the decision. I did notice you were prowling around the Safari threads, but didnt imagine you'd get one for yourself so soon.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rocky & Ben!

And what was that, me prowling around the Safari thread? Naaa... that was my evil twin!

Yes, I was trying to gather as much info as I can. No better ambassador than the end user! Was put off till now due to the negative issues.

Guess now I will also join the statistics.

As the dialogue in an advt. : "When will my number come?"!
Old 21st July 2009, 12:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

One more into the club of The King's - Tata Safari

Congrats Suresh, after pestering you a lot you came up with your thread - ha ha ha ha ha
Old 21st July 2009, 12:45   #14
Senior - BHPian

congrats, very good decision to opt for 4X4.
Old 21st July 2009, 13:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Atlast! Congrats !
Envy all who have 4x4
If you intend to do lot of highway, do upsize. Stock tyres last 45-50k and hence if you want to upsize later you have to wait and wait.

WOW!
Quote:
Road Tax: 1,88,705 (@16%, this is day light robbery for the road and quality of new roads we have here!) (EDIT: 16% tax and 10% cess on that!!! I am loving it! )
I paid just 51k!

Edit:
Funny; I am getting another Alto this week !

Last edited by jkdas : 21st July 2009 at 13:09.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed