Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2009, 18:05   #1
BHPian

Honda Jazz – Initial Ownership Report

I was thinking of writing an Initial Ownership report about Honda Jazz for quite a long time. But being lazy to the core means I always found an excuse to do it later. But today I ran out of all the excuses, so here I am writing this.

Disclaimer – I am not a writer so my English can occasionally sound weird, but I will try to use all my language skills to the best of my abilities.

Reason for Buying Premium Hatchback
  1. Small car for city runabouts – Currently we own a Civic and Laura L&K and since our office is in congested Karol Bagh Market it is hard for us to drive & park our existing cars there. So decision was made to buy a small car that can be taken to the office if chauffeur is on leave but have features of higher segment car.
  2. [FONT=&quot]Car for Wife - My wife wanted a small car that is easy to drive in city traffic, has a good A/C, a lot of space for shopping, looks cool and has good features.
Honda Jazz and its Competition
The competition was among Honda Jazz, Fiat Grand Punto, Hyundai i20 1.4 A/T & CRDI and Maruti Swift DDiS.
  • Hyundai is better loaded than Honda Jazz but it’s steering is too light almost feels like a Playstation wheel. Also we wanted immediate delivery and Hyundai asked for at least a month.
  • No offence to any Grand Punto owner but I didn’t like the interior and exterior of the car. Secondly, I was skeptical about Fiat’s A.S.S since they have a bad track record.
  • Maruti Swift DDiS has excellent engine, awesome reliability, good A.S.S but it is low on features (safety and comfort). VDi with ABS would have taken 3 months and we were not ready to wait that long.
Things that I like about Honda Jazz
  1. It’s a Honda; you just can’t go wrong with it.
  2. Excellent use of interior space (all those glove boxes, Magic seats, bottle holders, 385Lts of boot space).
  3. Parking is easy with Honda’s speed sensitive Steering. It is a delight to drive that car in city.
  4. Cool Interiors. My wife and I loved the interiors. Not to mention that the build quality is excellent.
  5. Good Ride quality. Maybe its because the car is riding on Michelin Energy XM1 or suspension setup but overall ride quality is good.
  6. Safety features. Got EBD, ABS and airbags. NCAP 5star rating.
Living with Honda
My previous experience with Honda was excellent. We have been using a Honda Civic for past 2 years and other than the regular service there has been no expense till date. This is the most important reason why I opted for Honda Jazz inspite of its high price.

It looks like a small MPV and it has a space like a small MPV. Overall proportions are nice. Honda has liberated a lot of cabin space with their cab forward design.

I have driven only 250Km in last 2 weeks but initial impression is very good. Engine is 1.2L inline four giving 89bhp. At idling engine is silent and there is very little engine noise in cabin when engine is not idling. I am not revving it hard till I put 1000km on the odo, therefore I shift up between 2500 - 3000RPM. Gear shift is precise. Acceleration is slow especially second gear it takes quite a while to reach 40Kmph.I am currently getting mileage of 12.3Kmpl in 90% City & 10% Highway driving with 100% A/C.

The ride is good at moderate & high speed, but at low speed ride is tad harsh. Front seats provide excellent thigh support and are very comfortable but they should have provided height adjustment with it. Rear seat are also comfortable but are little hard. Overall seat comfort is good.

A/C is excellent and inspite of having large glass area it cools the cabin faster than other cars that we own. Due to large glass area outside visibility is excellent.

Storage space is beyond anything that I have seen in any car. It feels like you can transport all your furniture in the car and still you will left with some space.

Quality of interiors is top notch. The knobs and dashboard feels good and solid.

Driving dynamic are good but you cant compare it with sedans. Steering is on the lighter side but still it provides enough feedback and is great for city driving. It is a city car and at high speed there is bit of a body roll.

Good Stuff
  • Good fuel economy
  • Excellent A/C
  • Audio Control on Steering
  • Storage Space
  • Engine is Smooth and very silent
  • Quality of interiors
  • Huge Boot space
  • Excellent Braking
  • Multifunctional display
Bad Bits
  • No Climate Control
  • Omission of Drive seat height adjustment
  • Engine could have been bigger 1.4L unit.
  • [FONT=&quot]Bit of body roll above 70Kmph.
I hope this is of some help. Please let me know if I have left anything or if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Jazz – Initial Ownership Report-2.jpg  

Honda Jazz – Initial Ownership Report-3.jpg  

Honda Jazz – Initial Ownership Report-1.jpg  

Honda Jazz – Initial Ownership Report-10.jpg  

Honda Jazz – Initial Ownership Report-5.jpg  

Honda Jazz – Initial Ownership Report-7.jpg  

Honda Jazz – Initial Ownership Report-8.jpg  

Honda Jazz – Initial Ownership Report-4.jpg  

Honda Jazz – Initial Ownership Report-9.jpg  

Last edited by manu7781 : 26th July 2009 at 18:12.
Old 26th July 2009, 18:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Great Man, Congratulations on your Jazz.
Is this your 2nd/3rd car ?
Old 26th July 2009, 18:14   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Great Man, Congratulations on your Jazz.
Is this your 2nd/3rd car ?
Thanks Man.. Its our 3rd car.
Old 26th July 2009, 18:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu7781 View Post
Thanks Man.. Its our 3rd car.
Manu, you are making the predictions true. There have been predictions in the Honda Jazz test drive thread that Jazz would be bought mostly by 2nd/3rd car owners and/or female owners

White Jazz looks great. It is every easy to drive in cities.
and (hopefully) extreemly realiable. this is important for female owners who self drive the car.

You are right, you can not go wrong with a Honda.
Hope Honda keeps it that way.

once again congratulations.
Old 26th July 2009, 21:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Manu, you are making the predictions true. There have been predictions in the Honda Jazz test drive thread that Jazz would be bought mostly by 2nd/3rd car owners and/or female owners
Its very logical to assume that Jazz will be 2nd/3rd car in a family. Some who is buying his first car or changing his only car will not like to buy a hatchback for 7.5 lacs. Instead he/she will go for a car with a proper boot (in India the concept of lambi gadi is still there).
As I see it, This car will be bought by people who want reliability, style and may have bought Honda earlier. These are the people who want car for their wife kids etc.

In my opinion this would have sold in higher number if they would have also given the option of A/T transmission.
Old 26th July 2009, 21:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations manu. The Jazz looks great in white. It is a bit expensive for sure but then thats always the case with a Honda. What you get for the price is bulletproof reliability and even though you may find that engine a tad underpowered at times, it is super refined. I only wish there was climate control and among other things an AT option right from the beginning.

Do update your ownership experience regulary
Old 26th July 2009, 22:05   #7
BHPian

Hey Manu, congratulations!! Great review and yes, there is very good and reliable car.
Old 26th July 2009, 22:30   #8
BANNED

congrats on your new purchase man..Hope the suspension is good and better that that of swifts
Old 27th July 2009, 01:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

amazingly nice car.

just saw something nice in pics - the airbag is inside the upper glovebox? normally that area isnt available if airbags are present!
Old 27th July 2009, 01:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on buying the Jazz.White is a majestic colour and well chosen.
Do post your experiances and important facts like drivability,handling,fuel efficieny.
Old 27th July 2009, 02:01   #11
BHPian

Congrats on buying a beautiful car manu. It looks stunning in white. You have penned almost all thoughts well. IMO - for the city the Jazz does it the best. And yes I have heard a lot about the engine being just ok - but then neither of the competition is a real scorcher. (Again this is purely my view)

I especially love the interiors and your pictures only reinforce my views on the same. The front seats look extremely comfortable. I guess the premium you pay on the car is the only real grouse a potential buyer may have.

Are the stock tyres sufficient?
Old 27th July 2009, 02:13   #12
BANNED

Congrants dude. the Honda is Good for what its intended to do.

you have the civic for your highway runs so Jazz fits in just right.
( ever wondered that the idsi engine just made roughly 80ps the jazz still makes more 90ps! i dont think its going to be that bad. the ~87 horses in a honda are never donkeys!! lolz.)

i Really dont think its a price premium you are paying. that interior designing would have had a lot of man hours going into it and yes those designers would have been paid handsomely. these costs are all added up in the car same goes for the engine design too.
so dont ever think you paid a premium and stuff. the ACC thing well as i have posted in another thread. later they will release a model with all these at a preiuim of 30-50k rs!! event then it will sell
Indians arent lucky enough since the indian market aint that demanding when it comes to features!!

the hyundai was a great choice the 1.4AT/ 1.4crdi would be dream in the city and highway. but then you will have to wait! and besides when you have a honda already with you then its better to go again with a honda!

that refinement and smoothness of the engine comes at a price! so no issues.
just have fun with it. and yes hey atleast your better half is happy na thats what matters its always good to spend that something extra to bring that priceless smile
Old 27th July 2009, 11:43   #13
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Another white Jazz!! Congratulation on your buy. She looks stunning in white! Though overpriced, I feel that the 'extra' that you pay is for Honda's bullet proof reliability.
Old 27th July 2009, 14:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

thanks for sharing this report. no doubt Jazz fits perfectly to the requirements of yours. However i20 AT would have been a close competition to your needs.

Keep updating this thread, we look forward to more Jazz
Old 27th July 2009, 15:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Congratulations manu. The Jazz looks great in white. It is a bit expensive for sure but then thats always the case with a Honda. What you get for the price is bulletproof reliability and even though you may find that engine a tad underpowered at times, it is super refined. I only wish there was climate control and among other things an AT option right from the beginning.

Do update your ownership experience regulary
These things will hopefully come in time. Any marketer in any market will first skim the market, charging higher prices for the novelty. As sales inevitably flag, then launch extra features at periodic intervals to revive interest and sales.

I am seriously interested in Jazz AT (for my wife) but am waiting to see what Toyota has to offer in the next 1-2 years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks