Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 11:17   #1
BHPian

The big black brute truck comes home!!!! ( Safari 2.2 VTT EX )

After selling my lancer almost 2 years back i wanted to purchase a new car.My search for a new car took a long time.I test drove every car under 15 lakhs but i couldnt justify spending my money on any of them.The lancer had spoilt me and the only cars i could shortlist were
1)Mitsubishi Cedia:
This car seemed to be the winner among the cars i shortlisted.Excellent car!But the EMI + (petrol = expensive fuel) made me dump this car.
2)Optra Magnum:
Powerhouse on wheels,diesel and soft suspension , but nothing else.For me a car is more than just a good engine.Handling was bad and my lack of confidence on GM made me hold back.
3)Honda civic:
Excellent car,bad suspension,poor fuel efficiency.Reject!!

4)Tata Safari : Tata safari is not the best handler, does not boast of top notch quality like the toyota,huge size etc.But a couple of test drives made me fall in love with this beast.I was initially very skeptical about tata quality.But the Safari experience was mind blowing.The prefect recipe for Indian roads.Now here are the Pros
1)Comfort:The prime objective of buying a family vehicle.I would like my family to enjoy the ride while i enjoy driving it.
2)Fuel efficiency:This is important because i am buying a new car with already high EMIs and would not like to spend almost the same amount on fuel.
3)Looks: When i spend money on a car i want it to be good looker.
4)Fun factor: This is very subjective.While i have enjoyed driving a low slung car for years.The fun starts at the corners and ends where the bad roads begin.This is where the Safari fun starts.I am sure our government will keep that fun going for a long time looking at the present state of roads.
5)Size:Bigger is better according to me.
6)Price:I had a maximum budget of 9 lakhs.
That was when my friend told me that RF motors kerala had a December 2008 model black Safari 2.2 VTT EX for sale.Bargained hard and here is the deal 1 lakh discount + 6500 extended warranty + teflon coating + insurance discounts.

Total price on the road in kerala = 8.75 lakhs including extended warranty.
I paid a meager booking amount of Rs 5000.The vehicle was inspected well.Applied loan with a governement bank.Meanwhile i asked my friend also a safari owner to test drive the vehicle.He was quite happy with the vehicle.He was planning to find some faults and reduce the pricing a little more,but could not find a fault apart from a small squeak in really bad roads.No rattling,smooth gear shift, no oil leaks,good power delivery and all electronics working perfect.Last saturday i came to cochin and signed the loan document.By the time the DD was ready it was 11:45.I had to reach the showroom in the next 15 minutes.Me and dad were in our santro and finally reached the showroom by 12:15.I scrambled out of the car,ran to the showroom manager and gave the DD and suggested i would drive the car to the R.T.O along with them.I was impressed with the car.After the tax was paid and R.T.O inspection was done, we drove back to the showroom.The following was a long wait.The time was 2:00 and the manager told me the vehicle will be delivered by 3 PM.My dad left for home.I had a quick lunch from a small hotel nearby and came back.I waited impatiently walking up and down the showroom,changing my position from one couch to another.By 5:30 i was out of my senses.I was counting every second on a clock in the showroom.Meanwhile i got the oppurtunity to test drive a Xenon.
Summary:
1)More responsive than safari
2)Better gear shift quality
3)Good interior design with bad quality materials
4)Ride in front seats was pretty ok.
5)Did not find the vehicle difficult to handle.
6)Poor rear seats

By 6:00 the car was ready.The delivery manager explained the vehicle documents and position of car jack etc.I got into driver seat and drove straight to Galaxy an ICE installer in cochin.I wanted to get the damping done and reduce engine noise and extract better sound from the stock system.
Things done
1)Foam based accoustic sealing for all 4 doors to reduce engine noise and vibrations in door pads.
2)Dynamat Xtreme to improve stock ice quality on all 4 doors.Rear door was not done as i did not have a subwoofer yet.

Effect:
1)Engine noise come down drastically.Around 2200 RPM and 5th gear the cabin goes completely silent.Engine NVH leves much better than a diesel innova.
2)Stock Ice now atleast sounds like a basic ice setup in a stock car.Sounds tighter

Future upgrades:
1)4 channel amp
2)front components to JBL or infinity(if i get better deal)
3)Subwoofer which provides decent punch without un-natural thumping.In short i want the sub to retrieve the lower frequencies i am losing out due to the stock speakers.

In my next post i will write about the drive to bangalore.Reclaiming my life and
loving the truck much more than when i got it.
Attached Thumbnails
The big black brute truck comes home!!!! ( Safari 2.2 VTT EX )-100_0785.jpg  

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 28th July 2009 at 11:31.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congarts,
yes the car looks like a BEAST.
Enjoy the beauty and drive safely
Old 28th July 2009, 11:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

That was a neat, quick and wonderful buying experience!

Welcome to the Safari club!

Waiting for the next installments of your post.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Mr.Wheel burner on getting the Safari and that to at a lots of discounts.

Start to reclaim your life with the Safari and are you using it in Bangalore or in Kerala.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:33   #5
BHPian

Congrats freewheelburnin thats a fine big black brute truck.
You must be commended for your quick decision making and bargaining skills( thats a pretty neat discount).
How about uploading some more pics.
Enjoy reclaiming your life.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:42   #6
BHPian

beautiful. the color is just made for this beast. Some more pictures please?
Old 28th July 2009, 11:45   #7
BHPian

Have couple of pics but need to compress them.Will do that once i reach home in the evening.I use this car in Bangalore now.Currently it is in our company parking lot.One thing i felt strongly was that a long drive is needed to know the car better.It has far exceeded my expectations.A short test drive does not do justice to this awesome machine.Would like to write a detailed review of my drive to bangalore.Will do that in the evening.I do not know if words could express the strong emotions.The drive time from cochin to bangalore was 9 hours including 2 food stops.RPM=2250 and Speed=100 was what i tried to maintain.I got a fuel efficiency of 15.I put Rs 2000 worth fuel and still have a shade lesser than 1/4 tank remaining after 2 days to office .I was expecting something around 12 but was amazed!!!

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 28th July 2009 at 11:49.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:54   #8
BHPian

Congratulation on your Beast. It looks awesome in black. Have fun and drive safe. Am sure that you are quite eager to get this one into action.
Old 28th July 2009, 11:58   #9
BHPian

I chose 2250 RPM as i found the engine has a sweet spot around the range.So i assumed that turbo was giving sufficient boost and engine was less stressed.The aim was not to get good FE but to maintain a smooth drive during initial run in period.The FE was probably a result.I used engine braking more and avoided braking over bad roads and small speedbreakers.
Old 28th July 2009, 12:03   #10
BHPian

Cograts on buying the beast, and you seem to have got a very good deal too.
1 lakh discount is pretty good.
Old 28th July 2009, 12:03   #11
BHPian

Thanks for all your well wishes,karthik,happy wheels,gowda,turbo,takumi san, murali !!!
Old 28th July 2009, 12:05   #12
BHPian

congrats and welcome to the club!
Old 28th July 2009, 12:14   #13
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase!!the only hiccup being the eait at RF which they did when i purchased the palio too(they are experts at that!!)do let me know about your service experience too!!(i am considering one!!)

But do be careful driving in Bangalore with the KL registration-the RTO guys are on the crackdown!!
Old 28th July 2009, 12:21   #14
BHPian

Planning to get it serviced at concorde motors Bangalore or Concorde cochin depending on convenience.RF motors has pathetic service according to my friend.Sales experience at RF was pretty good and they do a good P.D.I .But cant say the same about service.Better keep away.

I have used my lancer for 2 years in bangalore without any problems.Keeping my fingers crossed and keeping a fuel bill receipt book from my uncle's fuel bunk in kerala.Not exactly the right thing to do,but cant help it cos some laws are so stupid and i cannot pay road tax in both states.Also every 6 months will take a PUC from kerala just in case.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th July 2009 at 16:19. Reason: back to back posts, please EDIT the original post if you want to add. thanks
Old 28th July 2009, 12:27   #15
BHPian

congratulations on the buy. The car looks stunning.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks