Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2009, 18:38   #1

My hyundai I20 initial experience

Hi All,

I have bought I20 magna in dark grey color 3 weeks back and till now i have done around 1300 kms with a mix of highway and city driving.My initial experience with I20 is very good and i am enjoying my stint with it. What i liked most is the excellent build quality of the car. Recently I have done a trip of around 800 Kms from Noida-Jaipur-mathura-noida and i had a great time. The mileage was decent enough and since still the first service is due i expect it to give more in the coming time. The car gave me the feeling of big sedan inside the cabin. The cabin is very silent and till now i havent felt any problem. For the accessories part I have opt for all the genuine accessories from hyundai like elegant seat covers etc. As it is always said nothing is perfect, 3 major areas where i feel that car should have performed better are:
1. AC is not chilling types especially it should have been a bit more effective to overcome the scorching heat of Delhi and around regions.
2. Somehow i feel the suspension of I20 should have been better keeping in mind the Indian roads.
3. The ground clearance should be more especially keeping in mind the Indian conditions.

I know that I20 is primarily meant for export and thus Indian conditions were not considered but still the above mentioned areas should have been taken care of, Otherwise, the body, engine, fuel efficiency etc are very good and I am loving it...........
Old 28th July 2009, 18:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Couple of questions...

1) How do you find the high speed stability w.r.t. high speed lane changes on your highway trip?
2) Does the car scrape its bottom on speed bumps?
3) Whats wrong with the suspension? Is the ride to rough/too soft ...?

One suggestion :

1) Get filming done, especially the front windscreen filming. It really cuts out a good part of the heat which comes into the cabin, hence your AC has less load on it.
Old 28th July 2009, 21:28   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your acquisition puneet. It must be fun driving i20 on GQ.
Is it a CRDi or Petrol?
How is the OEM ICE?

Looking forward to extended report.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:59   #4

@AbhiJ, Here goes the answers to your questions:
1. Since, the first service is still due I have not tested the car at very high speeds but at the reasonable speed of around 90 kmph, i found the car quite stable wrt high speed lane changes as the body of I20 is quite heavy wrt other hatch gaps thus the grip on the road is also very good.
2. Not very often but on 2 ocassions inside the jaipur city where the speed breaker were really huge i gotthis problem where the car scrap its bottom.Although in normal scenario it is fine but I just wish that it should have been a little more.
3. As such nothing is wrong with the suspension and in the normal circumstances ride quality is quite good but on the rough roads, I find the ride not as smooth as I expected.

Thanks very much for your suggestion but I have already done with the filming.

@NutsNBolts

Thanks very much and yeah it is quite a fun driving I20.

1. It is Petrol 1.2, Magna.
2. OEM ice is good and worked fine for me.

As i found that i forgot to mention the fuel-efficiency figure, I clocked around 16.3 km/l tank full to tank full with 100% ac on.The trip was around 85% highway and 15% city driving.
Old 29th July 2009, 12:28   #5
BHPian

Thanks for your reply. Average 16.3 I would say is good FE. If I remember correctly, some portions of GQ are still under construction. Did you happen to take any of those roads? If yes, How does the vehicle behave on such roads?
Old 29th July 2009, 21:17   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the i20! As long as you are okay with the the 1.2 liter engine, that's all that counts. The i20 is amongst the most premium hatchbacks on our roads today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetiitr View Post
1. AC is not chilling types especially it should have been a bit more effective to overcome the scorching heat of Delhi and around regions.
A more powerful engine would have done the trick i.e. it would have allowed Hyundai to dump in a bigger compressor.

How about sharing pictures, Puneet?
Old 29th July 2009, 21:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats man!! i20 is my dream car!

I'm literally swept off my feet as soon as i see one on the road!

I hope they had released a 1.4L Petrol Manual transmission one! :( (auto is tad expensive!)
Old 29th July 2009, 21:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations puneet! The GC can be increased with better tyres. One inch on the higher side.
Old 30th July 2009, 12:52   #9
BHPian

I too own a i20 Asta, and agree with most of your observations and shortcomings of the car. But overall, its a really good car.
One suggestion for helping cool the a/c faster - work the engine hard for a few minutes. I know, FE would take a small hit, as well as being in your run-in period you don't want to crank the RPM too high. But this worked for me to get the a/c cool faster.
Old 30th July 2009, 13:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats puneetiitr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
A more powerful engine would have done the trick i.e. it would have allowed Hyundai to dump in a bigger compressor.
Not really I have observed that Hyundai's ac(Observed this in Getz, i10 & Santro) are not as effective as those in Maruti cars(Alto, Swift, Wagon R, Baleno, Esteem).
Old 6th August 2009, 10:59   #11

Hi all, here are some pics of I20 in dark grey color. Got my first service done, not found much of a difference in my initial observations.

@Technocrat, Yeah, I have also experienced that Ac's in maruti are better than Hyundai as my previous cars were from maruti.
Attached Thumbnails
My hyundai I20 initial experience-i202.jpg  

My hyundai I20 initial experience-i204.jpg  

puneetiitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2009, 14:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Really nice shade.Pimp her with alloys,that suits her well.
How is the rear seat comfort,is it good enough for 3 people?
Old 6th August 2009, 14:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

puneet,congrats on your ubercool, looks good in that grey shade.Nice seat covers too.
How did you found the power with full occupancy, easy on highways too?
hows rear seat comfort and knee space as people do complain is not that adequate as it should be?
Enjoy your ride.
Old 6th August 2009, 14:51   #14
BHPian

Is it a problem or just my perception?
Great buy dear puneetiitr.

I have a doubt. I had posted this doubt in other thread, but there is not reply from anybody. Can you try to reply my querry. I have once again listed my doubt below:

" Friends,

Recently I went for test drive of I20 diesel. Specifically I asked for the Magna model, because Asto is out of my reach.

I felt getting in and out of the driver's seat is very difficult. I tried to adjust the steering column (both reach and rake) and driver seat to get a comfortable postion so that I can get in and get out of the car easily. What ever postion I set, my knees fouled with the steering wheel (I am 5 feet & 11 inches tall). This happens when I have my feet planted away from Accelerator/brake/clutch. If I get this position correct by having the steering colum lifted to top most position and moving away the driver seat, then reaching the pedals becomes a problem.

Even in my Maruti 800 I dont have this problem. I am able to get in and out very easily without my knee fouling with the steering. Also the reach to pedal is very easy. I tried the same with Santro, Jazz and many other vehicles.

My findings are as below:
Maruti 800, Swift, Santro - No fouling, easy in and out, easy driving postion
Jazz, I20 - fouling and not comfortable
Scorpio - very comfortable

Do anybody have a difference of opinion and try to throw some more fodder to this discussion. request you to add some more vehicles also."

Dear puneetiitr, can you narrate your observation.
Old 9th August 2009, 11:29   #15

Hi @ Ramsagar and Vijay

Regarding rear seat comfort I would like to tell you that rear leg room is just adequate although I was also expecting it be little more considering the length of the car(I think that all has gone in providing the better boot space) but the good part is I found I20 and its rear seats to be quite broad from inside than the other hatchbacks so that provide an extra bit of comfort to the rear passengers. Thanks for your comments and suggestion for the alloy wheels I will definitely try to get it done.

Hello @ 1968chensaro,

Regarding your doubt, I would like to tell you that I am 6 feet and 1 inches tall and I drive with the steering adjusted to the top most position.I think that for people as tall as we are needs to do that. Also, i need to push back the drivers seat to get into the comfortable driving position, but after doing so neither i find getting in and out difficult for me nor i find reaching the pedals difficult. Also, i believe the person of your height should not find reaching the pedals difficult in any car (as my brother is also of about the same height as you are and he didn't have this complain ) be it I20 or any other car, just you need to find the right driving position for yourself. At last this is just my observation may be you are looking for something else, thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks