Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 23:38   #226
Senior - BHPian

Rajeev, if you jam the brakes on any car at 120 kmph, they will lock. Even 235 width drag slicks, I can assure you.
Old 24th September 2009, 23:44   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Rajeev, if you jam the brakes on any car at 120 kmph, they will lock. Even 235 width drag slicks, I can assure you.
He's got a point. Brake modulation is the answer to your problems.
Old 25th September 2009, 00:00   #228
Senior - BHPian

I have never really slammed/ stood on the brakes at 120- that said, the car did hit a brick within a reasonable (read before hitting the guy infront) distance when the need arose on the highways at 120/140, even 160.
Old 25th September 2009, 08:58   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
@ph03n!x - Have you tried jamming the brakes at 120kmph on your s-drives on straight line good roads?

Let us know your experience.
guy doing this on public roads is risky, do take precautions , and be prepared for surprises, if you haven't done this before , you are gonna be surprised for sure .

the car will skid , unless you have ABS . if your vehicle and tyres are good the vehicle should maintain a straight line .
Old 25th September 2009, 15:01   #230
BHPian

Anoop is right. My tyres when new did not skid much but in the current condition after 20k km skids a lot.

Shyam
Old 25th September 2009, 16:01   #231
BHPian

I agree but still i am not able to digest the fact that neovas which is rated one of the worlds best grippy tyres locked at 50kmph in straight line on wet road condition.

If this is the case then driving getz at 100+ kmph in indian road conditions is dangerous.

Now i miss my elantra which used to grip even on those crappy MRF zvts tyres.
Old 25th September 2009, 19:28   #232
Senior - BHPian

brraj , depending on where you are driving th definition of "Safe Speed" varies , 100 kmph inside the city in whatever vehicle is definitely not safe. Were as the sub urban roads which give higher visibility and lesser two wheelers and pedestrians it may be ok , but if it rains or in the night the speeds still go down.

brraj there are the limits of physics which no matter what you do cannot over come and most of the time momentum and road grip (friction) is what comes to play when we talk about safety at high speeds with respect to ability to stop on the dot or in handling. Even if the tyres are Advans they also have a limit and i dont believe that locking them up at 120 is going to make difference in behaviors than any other good tyre except for the fact that you will stop in a shorter distance. Primarily to the increased grip , but it would still skid, and leave more rubber on the roads.
Old 25th September 2009, 19:45   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now i miss my elantra which used to grip even on those crappy MRF zvts tyres.
MRF ZVTS are all round tyres , and they would not act any different, its maybe the lack of ABS thats getting to you in the GETZ. If you step on th brakes in elantra the ABS helps you , th same treatment to the getz will get you in trouble.
Old 25th September 2009, 22:45   #234
BHPian

I am not sure if you guys realize this... On the getz crdi the brakes lock up completely on pressing the brakes by just as much as say 4-5cms. You dont get much pedal travel to modulate the brakes on the getz. Its pretty scary when you are driving the car for the first time or swictching over from some other car. Mid corner & slight pressure on the brakes like you would do on say a OHC will get the car sideways.
Old 26th September 2009, 00:59   #235
Senior - BHPian

I sure the brake travel is adjustable- the travel in my brakes defintely more than that... And yes, I am habituated to modulating brakes, even before I bought my first car!
Old 26th September 2009, 01:46   #236
Senior - BHPian

Still dreaming others dreams? Should the thread title be updated?

Mods please do the needful.
Old 26th September 2009, 17:17   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
I am not sure if you guys realize this... On the getz crdi the brakes lock up completely on pressing the brakes by just as much as say 4-5cms. You dont get much pedal travel to modulate the brakes on the getz. Its pretty scary when you are driving the car for the first time or swictching over from some other car. Mid corner & slight pressure on the brakes like you would do on say a OHC will get the car sideways.

harrie i have driven around my cousin's getz crdi for about 400 kms and i did not find any such problem with the brakes. I belive that the pedal travel can be adjusted to some extend only . havent tried the corner with brakes and observed though , maybe i will observe when i get the chance next time around
Old 29th September 2009, 10:32   #238
BHPian

What ever the facts if the car is not suited to my kind of driving skills then its a bye bye.
Old 29th September 2009, 12:34   #239
BHPian

Quote:
What ever the facts if the car is not suited to my kind of driving skills then its a bye bye.
Another monster coming to the putty??
Old 29th September 2009, 13:42   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
wow thats a fast one , well i wouldn't have jumped ship if i were you . But all said and done you're the primary stakeholder !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks