Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2009, 13:44   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
What ever the facts if the car is not suited to my kind of driving skills then its a bye bye.
Hey Raj, are you planning to sell your car? Saw an ad in carwale for your car. Identified it from the pics you had posted. Seemed from your Yercaud drive.
Old 29th September 2009, 13:54   #242
BHPian

yes its my ad.

My last hope is to retrofit ABS in my car if its not sold, lets see who can do it for me.

Last edited by brraj : 29th September 2009 at 14:07.
Old 30th September 2009, 11:12   #243
BHPian

Quote:
I am bit disappointed with neovas.

Hard breaking at 120kmph on dry roads locked the wheels.
Hard breaking at 50kmph in wet road condition locked the wheels.

I guess now i need to run only on slicks or i dont know which tyre to upgrade.
Quote:
What ever the facts if the car is not suited to my kind of driving skills then its a bye bye.
Quote:
yes its my ad.

My last hope is to retrofit ABS in my car if its not sold, lets see who can do it for me.
Hi Brraj,

I presume that you're planning on selling off your car after the braking experience with the Neovas right??

I had a talk with the dealer from whom i bought the A drives for my car and as per him :

1. the Neovas are not meant for regular street driving. He said it was clearly mentioned on the tyres / bill itself.

2. They have a life span of only 10K kms and are meant for racing kind of stuff (well actually, racing is not the word he mentioned, but he meant stunts like burnouts etc)

He also is a member here. If the decision to sell off your car is based strictly on the tyre performance. I would recommend a second thought on it.
Old 30th September 2009, 16:54   #244
BHPian

Elantra has spoilt me a lot , I am driving getz crdi as if its an elantra. I am used to elantra so much that now i cant come back to any car lesser to it.

If i drive getz like i do in an elantra anytyre will lock wheels.

I am seriously looking for retrofitting ABS, lets see.
Old 30th September 2009, 18:56   #245
Senior - BHPian

Retrofitting ABS is almost impossible.,
Tarox is the only option.
Old 30th September 2009, 19:18   #246
BHPian

Raj- Do let us know if you can get ABS retrofitted. There will be a lot of Getz owners waiting for that.
Old 30th September 2009, 19:25   #247
Senior - BHPian

rajeev 1st and foremost doesnt your ECU need to support this retrofit ? Ideally this would require sensors,rotor/calipers, wiring harness, master cylinder, pretty much the Entire Braking System and then an ECU which supports this. Looks like a long shot in a country like ours where the modding scene at such levels is still at infancy.

I think you have been spoilt and nothing else, IMO change those tyres if they aint your types and go for something better.

Does a competent driver really need ABS is the million dollar question ?

OT : All the harping about the neovas gone for a toss LOLzz !!
Old 30th September 2009, 20:10   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Elantra has spoilt me a lot , I am driving getz crdi as if its an elantra. I am used to elantra so much that now i cant come back to any car lesser to it.

redefining " Spoilt Brat " eh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
rajeev 1st and foremost doesnt your ECU need to support this retrofit ? Ideally this would require sensors,rotor/calipers, wiring harness, master cylinder, pretty much the Entire Braking System and then an ECU which supports this. Looks like a long shot in a country like ours where the modding scene at such levels is still at infancy.

I think you have been spoilt and nothing else, IMO change those tyres if they aint your types and go for something better.

I believe that he ABS retrofit would be too extensive an after market to be doing without affecting the reliability of the car, even if you acount for the huge bills that you can expect on this upgrade.

+1 with riju on the aspect of ABS , ABS In the hands of the driver who know how to use it is a good tool . but can be fatal for the driver who doesnt know how it functions and acts accordingly. Many a times i have seen people jam on the brakes and expect the ABS to do the rest of the work , little do they realize that most of the time the braking distance has only increased but now you have control on the way your car is turning to turn yourself out of harms way.
Old 30th September 2009, 21:34   #249
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
@ph03n!x - Have you tried jamming the brakes at 120kmph on your s-drives on straight line good roads?
Quote:
I agree but still i am not able to digest the fact that neovas which is rated one of the worlds best grippy tyres locked at 50kmph in straight line on wet road condition.

If this is the case then driving getz at 100+ kmph in indian road conditions is dangerous.
Rajeev, sorry if I sound rude, but its more of a flaw with your driving style than with the cars brakes and tires. Its just that the Elantra has spoilt you too much. That car makes even a bad driver look good, its very forgiving. Getz is certainly NOT in the same league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapu View Post
Hi Brraj,
1. the Neovas are not meant for regular street driving. He said it was clearly mentioned on the tyres / bill itself.

2. They have a life span of only 10K kms and are meant for racing kind of stuff (well actually, racing is not the word he mentioned, but he meant stunts like burnouts etc)
Thats a whole load of hogwash! I don't understand how people draw such conclusions without any hands on experience.

Quote:

If i drive getz like i do in an elantra anytyre will lock wheels.

The shift from the Elantra to a Getz is not something your mind is able to digest. And NO, I would never dare get a ABS fitted as an aftermarket in India.

Quote:
True! Its too complicated a process and I for sure would not want to put my life at risk, given the modding scene in our country, specially risking the most important part in the car, brakes.

Quote:
Even with full slicks he is going to lock up those tires given his braking style.

Quote:
Does a competent driver really need ABS is the million dollar question
I don't want to start a debate on the ABS/non-ABS cars, but what I do know is treat everywhere on its own merits.

Quote:
AD-07's are still some of the best tires money can get you in today's world (and anyone who has a fast car with AD-07's will vouch for it). You can kill yourself even in the safest car in this world. That doesn't make the car unsafe, its just the stupid nut behind the wheel .

Rajeev, I sincerely suggest you head to track with the car and practice your braking and handling with the car in case you plan to hang onto it for a while.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 30th September 2009 at 21:37.
Old 30th September 2009, 22:52   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Brraj,
I had a talk with the dealer from whom i bought the A drives for my car and as per him :

He also is a member here. If the decision to sell off your car is based strictly on the tyre performance.
Thats absolute crap.
I wonder where he got this from. Since he is a member on here,he can post a copy of the bill. Or we'll have the ever generous Nikhilb2006 for proof of the same.
Old 30th September 2009, 23:14   #251
Distinguished - BHPian

It's Nikhilb2008! . As in Nikhil B 20/08

And it's crap! no bill or invoice EVER mentions it! I mean, I cant believe the dealer would make up something like that and someone would actually believe it!(no offence Bapu, you're lucky oyu have TBHP to clarify your doubts).

It would last 10k kms on the track. On the road, it should last about 20k at least. With good maintainence and slow city driving,30-35k is attainable if you ask me.

Maybe the dealer was talking about the A048s? In any case, there is no sort of warning on theb ill or invoice from Yokohama.
Old 30th September 2009, 23:46   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Thats a whole load of hogwash! I don't understand how people draw such conclusions without any hands on experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Thats absolute crap.
I wonder where he got this from. Since he is a member on here,he can post a copy of the bill. Or we'll have the ever generous Nikhilb2006 for proof of the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
And it's crap.......(no offence Bapu, you're lucky oyu have TBHP to clarify your doubts).
Err... Ahem..

I have personally NO experience on the Neovans. Which i have clearly mentioned too.

I was discussing Brraj's feedback and the above is the feedback i got. Which basically translated into - Neovan's are NOT for regular highway driving and it's mentioned somewhere ( and i could think of only 2 places viz. tyres, bill) & the life of the tyres was 10K kms.

and YES. I definitely AM happy that i have TBHP to guide me. It's been there to help me out totally with the purchase of my Getz AND then more on the ICE part (see my posting history for details).

(meekly and without any offence to anybody) i rest my case

Last edited by Bapu : 1st October 2009 at 00:03.
Old 1st October 2009, 11:09   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Retrofitting ABS is almost impossible.,
Tarox is the only option.
dose'nt Tarox improve braking and lock the wheels still more faster for a non-abs vehicle?

Quote:
For our indian road conditions i guess most of the competent driver would have faced situations like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
redefining " Spoilt Brat " eh ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
The shift from the Elantra to a Getz is not something your mind is able to digest
True

As per many people suggestions will not retrofit ABS.

Last edited by brraj : 1st October 2009 at 11:12.
Old 1st October 2009, 19:55   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Brraj,

I presume that you're planning on selling off your car after the braking experience with the Neovas right??

He also is a member here. If the decision to sell off your car is based strictly on the tyre performance. I would recommend a second thought on it.
What crap! Nikhil has AD07s on his Honda City and after 10000km, I hardly see any wear on them. Most reviews of the tyre say that people have managed 10-15000 miles on the tyre in 911 turbos with 35-40 profile rubber. So a getz crdi is hardly even stressing it.

Your tyre dude is misinformed. The Neovas *are* primarily meant for the street and you don't need another set of tyres for trackdays. What he's talking about are the r rated compound tyres such as A048.

PS: My car is running on Neovas as well and I'm loving every moment of it.

If a getz crdi locks up at such slow speeds, well its a problem with its braking system not the tyre. I tried really hard to lock the tyres in Nikhil's nhc vtec and couldn't get the tyres to even squeal. Even standing on the brakes at 100 didn't lock the wheels.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 1st October 2009 at 19:58.
Old 1st October 2009, 20:00   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

One more thing oyu need to remember is this:

Abroad, cars are driven at an average speed of about 40 mph. They spend a lot of time cruising on the expressway, highways, etc.... Even if they have to commute from home to work. In India, our avg speed is restricted to 10-20mph. For us, a highway trip means going out of the city(for most of us anyway). Not so abroad.

So, the tyres we use in India will last longer as the speed is lower. The tyres will definitely last longer(under normal usage) assuming of course it survives the craters in the road!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks