Team-BHP - Audi A4 TFSI it is!!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Audi A4 TFSI it is!!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/62905-audi-a4-tfsi.html)

Hey guys,

after months of agonizing over the decision, I finally took the plunge and booked my A4 petrol TFSI. When I began my search, I was not limited to any given segment but wanted a car that was fun to drive (I use a driver only when I absolutely must and have been known to drive around with my driver in the back seat just so I dont have to go through the ordeal of watching him drive), capable of hauling around a family of 5 in relative comfort and had some personality.

I looked at all the usual suspects, Accord, Superb, new Laura Petrol and diesel), Passat, Teanna etc. While I was impressed with the new petrol Laura, I was amazed by its lack of features!! No DSG, no power seats, no sun roof and so on. That was an immediate deal breaker. This, coupled with Skodas famed A** sealed the deal for the Superb as well. The passat felt ho-hum and never really got me excited. While I loved the looks and presence of the Teana, my driving impression left a lot to be desired. A great engine, but built around a car that was designed to be enjoyed from the rear seat.

I finally looked at the 3 series, C class, A4 category and began to get serious. Given the C's lack of space and personality (IMO), it was a non starter. The 3 was a pleasure to drive, however, on our broken roads, the harsh ride and run flat tires (that are a pain to maintain) put me off. The lack of back-seat room also failed to get nod of approval from the wife and I wasn't about to fight a battle I could not win. That left me with the A4.

I TD's the diesel a few months back and came away disappointed. While the 3.2 is a drivers dream, given our roads I felt like it was overkill and overpriced. I decided to take some time off and stay with the Palio 1.6 for a little while more. At the time, other petrol configurations were not available.

Then came the news that Audi had launched the other 2 engines and that got my purchase juices going again! While there was no TD car available, I did extensive reading on the 2 cars and decided that the 2.0 TFSI provided everything I was looking for. The mill is the same one that powers the Q-5 and after getting rave reviews about the engine from a auto journo (who is also a good friend) who recently reviewed the Q5, I made my choice.

Last week I booked a silver with black interior which is scheduled to be delivered to me by the 10th of Aug.

My dealer experience to date has been neutral to positive. The only issue that raised a red flag for me was that the sales manager I was dealing with told me that they were no petrols available and it would take at least 3 months for them to be delivered, so my only option was a diesel or the 3.2. When I inquired with another salesman through a relative who recently bought a Q-7, I got a whole different picture. I was immediately emailed a list of 5-6 configurations of 2.0 petrols that were currently in stock. Had I not done this, Audi would have probably lost a sale or had one upset customer for having been forced to book a car and wait 3 months for delivery when it was readily available!

Once the order was placed, the paperwork has been smooth, financing a breeze and now I cant wait to get delivery!!

Will keep y'all posted with regards the delivery and first driving impressions.

Congrats for a purchase made both with the heart and head.Though i would have drifted the 3 series way for sheer driving pleasure, the lack of rear seat space would have been the only thing to pull me away from the deal. The merc would be a real no no. IMHO, the newer merc breeds have no character the oldies had and have gone the Jap way. COmpared to the competition, id ather pick up a Lexus than a new merc.

The Audi on the other hand is really turning out to be a dark horse. The sheer exotic value of an Audi as compared to its German brethren should suffice for a sale. A few months agi i test drove an A4 Tdi. I tell you the inside cabin is sheer bliss. The drivng position and the ergonomics are all bang on. I just love the Audi's low profile presence as against its flashy competition. What is it on road by the way?

Great!! Enjoy it. The petrols a scorcher im told. Enjoy!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragtop (Post 1414512)
Will keep y'all posted with regards the delivery and first driving impressions.

Thanks. I am looking forward to hearing more. Please check your private message inbox. I sent you a message.

Hi Dose,

I have sent you the info requested, please check your inbox.

so audi's are getting popular!! cool. finally people are waking up to the understated class of elegance. i think the audi A4 is the perfect luxury sports sedan. and worth every penny. its also bigger in dimensions and space and has more flexible choices of engines. the (DRL) Led's are such a show off item lolz i just love them you can miss it on the roads. they have good purpose mostly in countries like usa or uk. where weather is bad!!

oh i wanted to mention that the 2.0 TFSI engine won the international engine of the year award!! so its a gem. you may or may not have known this but i just wanted mention it for those who dont know!!

congratulations!!

You know what, your purchase experience highlights the very reason why Audi - the dark horse in the race as V16 puts it - is catching up with Mercedes & BMW in India. Bimmers are a little too hardcore (read = stiffly set up) for the allrounder duties that a 30 lakh car is to perform in India. And Mercedes provides the poorest warranty, suspect reliability and most uninspiring design in the C Class.

The Audi A4 looks clean and well-proportioned, the front necklace lights are simply beautiful. Couple that with a wide array of engines and the A4 makes a compelling case for itself. Those 180 horses & 320 NM of torque (man, petrols are gaining traction) ought to keep ya happy. I only wish they'd offer RWD across the A4 range, and match BMW's peace-of-the-mind 5 year service packages.

Congratulations! We'd love to read up on your post-delivery experience, of course with pictures.

Quote:

The only issue that raised a red flag for me was that the sales manager I was dealing with told me that they were no petrols available and it would take at least 3 months for them to be delivered,
The problem with Audi's ever changing engine / variant options. Even us enthusiasts and their own dealers end up confused. Why can't they decide, once and for all, what they want to sell in India! On a related note, I wish they'd do something about the A6. It simply isn't moving off showroom floors, the A4 & Q SUVs are doing the trick for Audi.

GTO, Couldn't agree with you more. For those of us who have grown up driving RWD's, a performance car without it just does not feel right, however, I was pleasantly surprised by the FWD setup in that Audi has managed to significantly limit the understeer introduced by the FWD. Also, I TD'd the Diesel which is marginally heavier than the 2.0 TFSI which will work in favor of the petrol in this regard.

The other neat trick that I was truly impressed with was what Audi calls the "Auto hold function of electro-mechanical parking brake". Essentially a switch that you depress when stopped at a light which applies the hand brake. This is automatically released when you depress the accelerator and eliminates the need for using the hand brake.

Regarding the BMW-esque service package, I was told by the sales manager that Audi is in the process of launching a similar package later this year which will be available to all new owners and existing Audi owners that have purchased within a certain window of time....

Quote:

Also, I TD'd the Diesel which is marginally heavier than the 2.0 TFSI which will work in favor of the petrol in this regard.
Did you test-drive the 3.0 AWD D too :D :D. Audi says its quicker than the 3.2 FSI and way more practical! But still, nothing....no sedan sold in India....can touch the 3.2 FSI for driving pleasure. The sound, that revv happy engine, the tight suspension, the volatile gearshifts, the meaty steering, That car is INSANE!

Quote:

The other neat trick that I was truly impressed with was what Audi calls the "Auto hold function of electro-mechanical parking brake". Essentially a switch that you depress when stopped at a light which applies the hand brake. This is automatically released when you depress the accelerator and eliminates the need for using the hand brake.
Some other cars have it too, including the E-Class. Very convenient. Only a matter of time before automatics the world over come with this feature as standard.

I have driven the Audi A4 3.2 for a 500 odd km round trip ( Delhi - Jaipur and back).
And the ride was nothing but fantastic.
It handles like a car should. The ride is planted on the road like it should be. The steering wheel's response is just about perfect. The 17" do make for a bit hard ride but then who cares.
When you have 265 odd horses to play with , you forget everything.

Rocking decision. Congrats. Waiting for pictures etc. :)
Cheers

Congratulations on your new purchase. A very sensible choice. They are are very finished cars too. While the Merc is good on comfort and BMW a driver's car, I feel the Audi has a great combination of both. I agree on the RWD part though. Hope to see an ownersip experience soon.

@GTO: Audi has indeed come up with secure packages for their cars. The salesperson had given me the deatlis when I had visited their showroom for a TD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragtop (Post 1416108)

Something similar is present in the Passat too - atleast, the one I drove in Germany in 2005. In the Passat, with Auto hold on, you just brake to a stop at a red light, and release the brake - the car remains stationary regardless of slope. When its green, you engage the gear and press the accelerator, and the braking is removed.
Quite useful in hilly / sloping terrain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippy (Post 1416347)
@GTO: Audi has indeed come up with secure packages for their cars.

If you have the full details, can you share the same with us (preferably in a new thread)? Thanks

I got the 2.0 TDI. It retails for the same price as the 2.0 Tsi. So i thought why not go in for the diesel instead. Would have loved the Quatrro though! The Audi engine line up has not changed, just increased, so it's good the way i see it, just wish the 3.0 was available when i was purchasing. Anyway dude, you got to enjoy the attention. The car has more presense than the 3 or the C and i'm lovin it!!! Hope you are too! What F.E. are you getting?

So finally Audi is gaining acceptance on this forum, where the BMW was ruling the roost. Mine was probably amongst the first on this forum & I maintain that the car has everything one might want & more.

Welcome to the Audi Club, enjoy !!

Cheers

Congrats bro.
My friend happens to have the 2.0 TFSI in the States and I drove it for a few km. The performance is phenomenal! In fact, according to Audi, it is only marginally slower than the 3.2.
Let us know about the reliability aspect, as well as spare part availability once you have used her for a bit, as someone is my family is interested in purchasing an Audi in some time (the A6/8 though).
@GTO, what I was told was that Audi is working on launching a similar version of the BMW Secure and it should be out shortly.