Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 13:17   #1

Its Finally Fiat Punto

Background: Had an Indica DLG 2005 March 65000 Km and wanted a replacement. Initially actively looked at Fiesta 1.4 Sxi, I was very particular at safety and hence wanted the top end for ABS, Airbags etc. The car was a 2008 model unsold and they were offering discounts but in the end due to many reasons it did not take off. Then i20 petrol did not like the steering and some other minor problems like my leg hitting the lower portion of dash etc. and main reason was I was not for petrol.
Then Punto, i20 diesel, Jazz and Ritz were released. Ritzes due to its look outright reject. I20 again driven but all earlier problems remained and also I felt the price is way too high. I did not even drive Jazz because if I like I don’t have the money to buy it. So it was finally Punto, it was a long elimination round.
Buying: Tried with many dealers of Fiat Tata alliance but felt that they were not very keen selling Punto. None of them after test drive called me back. Finally I went to Prerana Lalbagh Road, where I got a vehicle that will be delivered in a weeks’ time if paid the entire amount in advance. So did that in couple of days with loans etc. The vehicle was ready by Saturday evening. Made multiple inspection visits on previous days because of the thread on rusting in Punto.
Owning: The vehicle is a exotic red E+ MJT. As expected the beading on the rear door is loose, seat seems to go down after increasing the height. Other than these major issues, few places where I could see excess glue, beading not fixed properly etc. I am yet to go and fix these.
Engine is very smooth and low RPM noise is very less, once you are above 2K rpm you know you have a diesel. Steering and gear knob vibration almost nil. Handling is superb, but I found steering a bit tight now getting used to it and also I feel it is loosening. Blue&Me is extremely useful as I make and take calls on the way. But sometimes this pairs automatically sometimes not, I am yet to figure out what is happening. The electrical adjustment of rear view mirror is also very helpful while reversing for parking etc. AC is powerful and is very easy to adjust. Steering adjust I found is set only once (lowest) position I don’t know if I will change this setting often. Music system is good but higher volumes not very listenable.
Clutch has a long travel and no play may be I will get this fixed and the pedals are very close to each other. I found even though the car is very long the majority of this has gone to bonnet and boot, very less inside the car. I am getting used to this length issue. Also the cup holders and storage is not very user friendly. Though it is too early to talk about the mileage I found this to be on the lower side now I am getting only 13 to 14 KM at best, I don’t if this will improve. Initial power is not very high though, I can drive the car around in third gear due to high initial torque. While accelerating fast one gets a feeling of being elastic, the moment RPM reaches 1750 the car moves fast. I have a feeling that 20-100 timing Punto will be better compared to other cars in the same segment.
I will get back with more on driving later, as of now it is real VFM.

Post edited since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.
Old 4th August 2009, 14:19   #2
BHPian

congrats on the car .like every body else will say i begin by saying pics.
u will obviously go for vfm cos the first three letters of your id are also vfm .

its raining puntos in t-bhp though i have still not spotted in ludhiana with a ludhiana registered number
Old 4th August 2009, 14:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats vfmanuel,
Enjoy th Italian Beauty.
Everyday some one buys Punto and starts a new Thread.
Happy Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfmanuel View Post
Blue&Me is extremely useful as I make and take calls on the way. But sometimes this pairs automatically sometimes not, I am yet to figure out what is happening.
Whenever you switch off your mobile and on again.Bluetooth connection cannot be done automatically.
What you have to do is,just delete all contacts from Blue&Me,Delete Blue&me device from your mobile and reconnect it again.
Viola,you'll get connected whenever you enters the car.
Try and lemme know.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 4th August 2009 at 14:33.
Old 4th August 2009, 14:36   #4
BHPian

Congrats vfmanuel, enjoy your ride and keep posting the ownership expirence.

It sure is raining Punto's in the forum.
Old 4th August 2009, 14:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wow, another Red Punto!

Congrats pal, Have fun!
Old 4th August 2009, 14:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yet another Fiat! Congratulations!!

The 1st page of the Initial Ownership section is flooded with Puntos and Lineas
Old 4th August 2009, 14:58   #7
Senior - BHPian

YAY! Here's to more Puntos and Lineas!
Old 4th August 2009, 15:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!
A request- Just break your post in small paragraphs so it becomes easy to read
Old 4th August 2009, 15:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations!

Spotting too many red GPs these days
Old 4th August 2009, 16:34   #10
BHPian

Congrats for your red beauty.

Daily there is one new thread on Punto, but I haven't spotted a single one on road in Bangalore. Where do you guys are driving your babes?
Old 4th August 2009, 16:49   #11
BHPian

Congrats!

A couple of weeks ago, I was at the ORR/Sarjapur junction around 8 PM waiting in the front grid of the signal. Load shedding was in and it was pitch dark all around. Then signal for Sarjapur road which was to my diagonal left went green. A gorgeous and shining red punto slowly went past in front of me, to the right, illuminated by my car's lights! It was a breathtaking sight!

Not to mention the honking I got as I took time to start the car when signal turned green!
Old 4th August 2009, 17:15   #12

Congrats

Congrats on your new Punto.Awaiting pics of your beauty.

Did you manage to get any accessories from Prerana as part of your deal.
Old 4th August 2009, 17:19   #13
BHPian

Congrats vfmanuel. Lady in red is adorning your portico now! I think since you were already driving an Indica, long clutch travel should not be strange thing for you. I am seeing number of Puntoz in Kochi. Seeing from front, very difficult to differentiate between a Linea and Punto. As soon as you start crossing abeam, the difference is all too clear.
Old 4th August 2009, 17:26   #14
BHPian

Congrats. Hope you have a good and safe drive with your beauty. Yes I agree that the first page of Initial reviews section is flooded with Puntos. On road I haven't been able to spot many in Blore (Have managed to see just 3 in the last 2 months). Yesterday I managed to see 1 Red punto in the basement of the same apartment complex where I stay
Old 4th August 2009, 17:58   #15
BHPian

Congrats vfmanuel, I too have booked GP MJD E+ Med. Grey. 13-14 kmpl looks on the lower side. During my test drive the MID display was showing around 19-20 kmpl.
I think you will have to wait until the first service to get good mileage. GP owners please comment on the mileage.
-PK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks