Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2009, 16:02   #16
BHPian

Thanks all, for the feedback and suggestions! Really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
i mean take for example the outlander.
Thanks, I've been advised to TD it by many. Will check it out soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
They have similar requirements, and after lots of deliberation they went in for a X-Trail.
I loved it during TD, but 31L (Bangalore on road for the higher end version) is beyond my budget. Bangalore salesman said the lower version (26L) was no longer offered. Recently heard a rumour that the face-lifted X-Trail (new front grill, console moved to right side etc.) will be sold from September for 36L. And that they are clearing current stock at a discount of 5-6L. Need to call and verify soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Did you try pushing the seat back, it can go back a lot.
No I didn't, but will take your word for it. Btw Samurai, I didn't bother to drive the GV on bad roads because of your (wonderful) write-ups on your experiences. Thank you! Many thanks also to Mr. Sudev for documenting his very awesome drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
except the 140 plus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
If I see your needs list, I am not sure why you want an SUV in the first place, truth be told. Your stated needs are best met by a sedan.
Quote:
If you are going to drive it mostly in good roads (city & highway), then you are barely using its most valuable trait, bad road driving.
Thanks for your comments. May be I should explain the way I drive. To qualify further, the way I drive when I'm alone (SWMBO puts the brakes on when in car!). I like to drive fast, without worrying about road conditions. When I can (i.e. it is safe for everyone around), I don't brake for pot holes, gravel, puddles, construction rubble, bumps. Do have a soft corner for stray dogs though; I go out of my way, sometimes at my own peril, to avoid them. Over the last few years, have broken wheels by going over pot holes (average 1 per year. Have 3 spare alloys stored at home..), scraped the bottom a million times, replaced exhaust pipe (or some part of it), had coolant leaks, replaced the lower arms (twice) etc. because of the way I drive. But I do service my car regularly. Oil/filter changes, rotate and align wheels (change tires once a year), proactively replace belts, bearings, fix any electrical issue etc. Have an OCD when it comes to rattling noises, can't stand them, and rush to the workshop whenever I hear one. In the last couple of years, it's rare that I've gone two months without having visited the workshop.

Obviously, I need to change the way I drive, rather than find a car that suits it.

Ain't gonna happen.

So next best thing, look for a car with high ground clearance, is reasonably fun to drive, looks good to me, has good A.S.S., and get some under body protection done on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
have you even tried the Rockford fosgate sound system
OT: While sound is important (though I'm sure I can get a good after market speaker system fitted in any car), for me, what's most important is that I have a "clean" (no wires hanging, no iTrip + iPod) HU which can store and play ALL the music (80 GB and growing in MP3, OGG, FLAC) I have. This means, storage should be easily upgradable, and player software should have user friendly features (fast search, hierarchical playlists, dynamic queuing etc.). I found what I was looking for 9 years back. Empeg Car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The company doesn't exist anymore, product is EOLd, but there's a thriving user community (not unlike Team BHP) which supports and releases hardware (e.g. one I love, a home docking station which lets the car player be the music source in my home entertainment system) and software (e.g. too many to list including stuff I've written, but something my co-passengers find amusing - scrolling synchronized lyrics) features regularly. And since I haven't seen anything similar (an iPod integrated HU comes closest. It loses out big on player software features though.), my next car has to allow me install the Empeg.

Last edited by Samurai : 9th August 2009 at 16:30. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 9th August 2009, 23:10   #17
BHPian

This model has been here in US since 2006. It was launched in late 2005.
Old 10th August 2009, 20:51   #18
Team-BHP Support

I think you should really give the Outlander a shot. In my personal opinion (and I'm sure there'll be plenty who disagree), depending on your preference for petrol v. diesel, the outlander / fortuner would be excellent options to consider. I love Marutis but the GV does not exude the luxury feel you want on any vehicle after shelling upwards of 15 L.
Old 11th August 2009, 14:19   #19
BHPian

Confused

So, I have an option of picking up the X-Trail Comfort for 21L. Comparing it with GV:

Pros:
1 - Liked the drive when I TDd it recently.
2 - Like the looks better.
3 - Fuel cost per km is almost 2-3x less than that of GV.

Cons:
1 - Service/parts charges?
2 - Bad service network. (Might improve in the next couple of years? With Micra etc.?)
3 - The car has been sitting in the Mumbai docks, apparently. Don't know for how long.

Almost everyone I've talked to prefer X-Trail over GV. But doubt if any of them do the 'care free' kind of driving I do.. So ideally I should be looking at a car which is easily serviceable. But driving pleasure and savings on fuel cost is making me consider X-Trail.

@GV Owners - Not all Maruti dealers sell the GV. Guess it is safe to assume that not all MASS centers would service/stock parts for it?
Old 11th August 2009, 14:24   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post

Now for the background story: I have a budget of 25L, am looking for a not so big 4 x 4 which can handle the way I drive (fast, reasonably aggressive), can be used as a daily car in Bangalore, can be taken out on the highways frequently (expect to average 30k km a year), and looks good (to me!). This was my elimination process:

Safari, Endeavour - too bulky
Captiva - too curvy
CRV - doesn't look good from behind
Outlander - looks like a minivan from behind
Fortuner - looks bulky, and looks like the Innova from behind
Tucson - doesn't seem to be in production
X-Trail - bad service network

GV and Pajero (though bulky, I like the boxy look) were the only contenders.

Next couple of days - drive a Pajero on the NICE road and see how easily it can handle 140+ kmph. Also see if I like driving it in traffic. If not, GV is going to be it.

slightly OT, The Outlander is a much superior vehicle compared to the GV. If your budget is 25L, you should consider the CR-V, Outlander and the X-trail. Or if you are willing to wait till the yr end, you'll probably see the launch of the diesel CR-V.
Old 11th August 2009, 16:13   #21
Team-BHP Support

To give some GV perspective.

Quote:
1 - Service/parts charges?
All the consumables (oil/filters) are same as SX4, so the service charges are no different than SX4. GV specific parts are obviously expensive since they have to be imported, but how often would you need it? I have not needed a single GV specific part in nearly two years despite the very rough driving I do on some very bad roads.

Quote:
Almost everyone I've talked to prefer X-Trail over GV. But doubt if any of them do the 'care free' kind of driving I do..
I have a relative who owns a X-trail, which he drives very carefully. So I don't know how much abuse x-trail can take. GV can take any amount on-road abuse without falling apart or even needing frequent service, much better than Jeeps.

Quote:
@GV Owners - Not all Maruti dealers sell the GV. Guess it is safe to assume that not all MASS centers would service/stock parts for it?
No dealer keeps GV parts even if they sell GV. But they can get it from the central repository in couple weeks. Here is the deal, you can take the GV to any MASS center and they will accept it. Ultimately it is a car, sharing a lot of design with SX4, so MASS mechanics unfamiliar with GV can still do emergency repairs.
Old 11th August 2009, 23:00   #22
BHPian

Test drive-The reloaded version of The New Suzuki Grand Vitara

Hey guys test drive of the brand new 2.4 litre petrol Suzuki Grand Vitara is available for test drive at the Bimal Auto, Bangalore.

BTW, I happened to test drive the manual version of the car on Friday, 7th August for over a distance of 50 Kms. It was the same (Bluish-black Pearl)piece that was displayed at the Lalit Ashok at the launch on the 1st.

The car had run 356 kms when I got to sit on its driver's seat.

All cars come with the standard biege interiors and the sales person was not sure of any other colours

Getting in and out of the car was very comfortable and the driver seat height adjustment has a fairly good range for a 6 ft. tall person.

The Engine is as quite as a Petrol engine should be.

The take-off thrust and the power is superb when the first gear is engaged. At 3500 Rpm the car is doing 100kmph on the 2nd gear. The gear lever travel is a mile long and the vehicle loses a lot of its power by the time the 2nd gear is settled. And if you thought this was terrible another shock awaited when you shifted from 2nd to 3rd. The travel distance of the gear stick is almost endless. At this point of time the sales person suggested that I should drive an Automatic, which according to him has been delivered to 2 of his clients. I had no idea that deliveries had started.

The suspension is super super great and its off-road handling is even better. The car does not throw you out of your seats when you hit the brakes or go over oversized speed-breakers.

Turning radius of 5.5 mtrs. on a clockwise direction is also affordable as a U turn is possible on average 40ft wide Indian roads. The turning radius is a little more on the Anti-clockwise turn.

The brakes though are a little bit of a disappointment. When the brakes are hit hard on 100+ Kmph the EBD works well but the whole car shudders before it comes to a dead halt. The same test on the reverse gear is fantastic. the car comes to sure stop without any shudder this time around.

The Road holding is unbelievable and 90 degree turns can be taken at a good speed. The rear wheels do not budge an mm on these sharp turns. the steering response is also very good. No big deal on the steering tilt though and is just about ordinary, but at a comfortable position, height and allows an unhindered view of the speedometer.

The all round view is also pretty good with the pillars blocking a minimum viewing angle.

The ground clearance of 200 mm for a wheel base of 2640 mm is more than enough for almost any kind of terrain with the all time 4 wheel drive offering a very secure feeling in both the rough, extra rough and smooth roads as well.

Overall experience with the vehicle is quite good. A little worried about the Braking and the gear shift travel. Other than that I think the vehicle is VFM provided petrol is your personal preference. The MDI showed this up in the end of the test drive. FE 6.8 KMPL. The Brochure claims 10.41 Kmpl.

Will be test driving the Automatic shortly.

God bless.....

Last edited by soccer : 11th August 2009 at 23:02.
soccer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2009, 23:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. Any early rattles/squeaks on your car? And were you in heavy city traffic or driving with a heavy right foot as that might explain the FE?
Old 11th August 2009, 23:25   #24
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Nice review Soccor.

How is it that the clock-wise and anti-clockwise turning radius is different?

3500 rpm in 2nd gear = 100 kmph is good. It looks like the New GV not only has long gear throws, but is long-footed too.
Old 11th August 2009, 23:38   #25
BHPian

Please manufacture it in India

Why can't maruti manufacture it in India and price it close to the likes of safari and scorpio? It will do better number than them for sure.

I saw it parked outside one of the Maruti Dealers in Bangalore, that one was in white too and looked absolutely stunning. It has got a well balance look with no odd looking angles.

Last edited by driftagain : 11th August 2009 at 23:40.
Old 12th August 2009, 00:30   #26
Team-BHP Support

Whats the redline rpm.
If its 7000rpm, then it means if you can redline in 2nd gear you will hit 200kmph in second...?
Something does not feel right
Old 12th August 2009, 00:44   #27
Team-BHP Support

Very thorough report, as a GV owner I can agree with most observations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer View Post
Getting in and out of the car was very comfortable and the driver seat height adjustment has a fairly good range for a 6 ft. tall person.
That's true, unlike most SUVs you don't have climb up to it.

Quote:
The take-off thrust and the power is superb when the first gear is engaged. At 3500 Rpm the car is doing 100kmph on the 2nd gear.
This is obviously a new trait, mine ain't that fast.

Quote:
The gear lever travel is a mile long and the vehicle loses a lot of its power by the time the 2nd gear is settled. And if you thought this was terrible another shock awaited when you shifted from 2nd to 3rd. The travel distance of the gear stick is almost endless.
Really, compared to the Jeep gear levers it really feels short travel. BTW, which car you normally drive?

Quote:
The suspension is super super great and its off-road handling is even better. The car does not throw you out of your seats when you hit the brakes or go over oversized speed-breakers.
This is the most important trait of GV, glad to know it still retains that quality.

Quote:
The brakes though are a little bit of a disappointment. When the brakes are hit hard on 100+ Kmph the EBD works well but the whole car shudders before it comes to a dead halt. The same test on the reverse gear is fantastic. the car comes to sure stop without any shudder this time around.
Are you sure it wasn't the ABS activating under your foot, ABS makes quite a racket when it activates. You weren't doing 100kmph for sure on the reverse, so conditions are not the same. On tarmac the GV brakes are generally dead sure.

Quote:
The Road holding is unbelievable and 90 degree turns can be taken at a good speed. The rear wheels do not budge an mm on these sharp turns.
It is that suspension again, they just designed it right. Also fulltime 4WD helps.

Quote:
The ground clearance of 200 mm for a wheel base of 2640 mm is more than enough for almost any kind of terrain with the all time 4 wheel drive offering a very secure feeling in both the rough, extra rough and smooth roads as well.
Looks like you drove through all kind of terrain. It has lousy skid plates though, replacing it with aluminium skid plates can give you real peace of mind.

Quote:
The MDI showed this up in the end of the test drive. FE 6.8 KMPL. The Brochure claims 10.41 Kmpl.
With the 2L engine it is 8-9kmpl for city and 11-12kmpl for highway driving. But aggressive driving can obviously bring it down.

I am quite disapppointed with price though, the on-road price of 20.6L in Bangalore is just ridiculous for this formerly VFM vehicle.
Old 12th August 2009, 05:45   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To give some GV perspective.
All the consumables (oil/filters) are same as SX4, so the service charges are no different than SX4. GV specific parts are obviously expensive since they have to be imported, but how often would you need it? I have not needed a single GV specific part in nearly two years despite the very rough driving I do on some very bad roads.
Like Samurai I have driven the GV extensively over very very rough surfaces and off road. The car comes out a winner. Now with 100000Kms on the odo the suspension is still taut and I am soon going off for finding trails off the track in Rajasthan for the next Desert Storm. (Incidentally three GV's in the group with combined 50000km Desert Storm related driving)

Unlike Samurai I have needed spares and till date do not remember having to wait for them more than few days. I am around Delhi so Maruti is near you can add shipping time. See my ownership thread for more details.

And unlike Samirai san I have had the need to get GV attended to in back of beyond. There you realise the benefits of sharing parts and heritage with Maruti.

As for those who want "plush" feel of interiors I guess off roading ability is not priority for you. The price is for ablity and toughness package offered by GV.

That said I do agree that Maruti has priced the 2.4L version wrong by couple of lacs. The 2.0L with on road slightly lower than 14lacs was worth the price.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2009, 08:17   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Unlike Samurai I have needed spares and till date do not remember having to wait for them more than few days. I am around Delhi so Maruti is near you can add shipping time. See my ownership thread for more details.

And unlike Samirai san I have had the need to get GV attended to in back of beyond. There you realise the benefits of sharing parts and heritage with Maruti.
Your odo has registered 6 times more Kms than mine, so your user experience is lot more richer. It really gives a feel about what can be expected from GV in a very long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
As for those who want "plush" feel of interiors I guess off roading ability is not priority for you. The price is for ablity and toughness package offered by GV.
People who want plush feel should pay a few more lakhs and get that plush feeling somewhere else, but they might miss out on service network and even ruggedness. What GV offers is a basic package of proven ultra-reliable, ultra-rugged SUV with the best service network in India. This is not a luxury sedan/SUV.

I have always said this. If you are looking for a luxurious city vehicle with occasional highway drives and almost no bad-road or off-road driving, GV is not for you.

Last edited by Samurai : 12th August 2009 at 10:01.
Old 12th August 2009, 17:06   #30
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Are you sure it wasn't the ABS activating under your foot, ABS makes quite a racket when it activates. You weren't doing 100kmph for sure on the reverse, so conditions are not the same. On tarmac the GV brakes are generally dead sure.
Even if the ABS gets activated there no reason why the car should shudder with a Zig-Zag movement before it finally stops. These situations don't happen every day but what if someone just runs accross the road right in front of your car when you are doing high speeds. The ABS worked well because at that speed when you hammer the brake pedal down, the wheels refused to lock up.

I have reversed at 120kmph on BMW X5 about a couple of weeks back and the car handles beautifully and brakes work wonderfully too. At 900K That the best car I have driven todate. I must have done close to a 100 on NGV and the brakes were just great. Most other cars like the Audi Q7 do not cross the 60 km mark on the reverser gear. Even the Safari has that feature.

God bless.....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks