Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2009, 02:18   #1
BHPian

Fiat Linea MJD: TD, Dealership & Ownership Reports

Fellow BHPians,

Here is my Linea story:

My Santro ZipPlus LS (Forest Dew) had served me well for 7 years but of late had started having minor problems quite frequently. So I decided to gift it to my wife (after fixing all the issues of course) and buy myself a new car. Shortlisted the Linea, SX4, Dzire, Verna, i20 and Fiesta for my next car. Ruled out Honda City as I felt it was too expensive and lacked features that I wanted like alloys and ACC.

My first visit was to Prerana Motors on Sarjapur Road. Had to wait around 20 minutes for the TD as another customer had gone for the TD. Showroom was small but tidy and comfortable. Took the TD of the petrol Linea as initially I was planning to go for a petrol car. The salesperson did not hurry me up though lot of customers were waiting for the TD and I was able to test every aspect of the car. Salesperson was not aware of all the features of the cars like setting the ACC correctly and Blue&Me but behavior was very good and friendly. Got the price list, discount and accessories information from the manager (Mr.Ashok) and left.

After the TD felt the petrol was underpowered (IMHO) but liked everything else expect for some of the plastics. Next I went Pratham for TD of SX4 and Dzire. Like SX very much for drive and handling (contrary to many others in TeamBHP) but did not like the looks and interiors of th Dzire. Then went to Advaith for TD of Verna Petrol and i20. Did not like the Verna as interiors were outdated and ride & handling similar to my Santro. i20 was a great looking car but found the steering to be very light and AC cooling ineffective. Next went for Fiesta TD at Latangi Ford. There was no AC in the showroom and salesperson did not allow me to take a long TD though not even a single customer was in his showroom. Found the car to be small in size compared to other cars and also did not like the gear system. Afer TDs of all the cars my wife like SX4 the most and my mind also said the same but my heart was lost to the beauty - Linea.

After couple of days the sales manager at Prerna Mr.Ashok called up to ask my decision. I told him I felt the Linea petol was underpowered especially in 2nd gear. Mr. Ashok told me there was a problem in the TD car and he has got it serviced now and to do a TD again. I thought it would be better to TD a different car so went to Concorde Dairy Circle showroom. There was no AC in the showroom and had to wait for 30 minutes for the TD. A lady salesperson accompanied me on the TD and she also had no information about any feature of the car. After the TD still felt the car was underpowered and left the showroom disappointed. Concorde did not even take my phone number and hence there was no follow up from them.

Had decided to go with SX4 and wanted to do the booking. When bargaining on the discounts the Maruti salesperson asked me to wait till the budget as there could be some decrease in the prices. During this time I was researching on TeamBHP on both SX4 and Linea (still was mesmerized by it) and after reading many ownership reports and hearing Linea diesel is better than the petrol decided to have another TD. Since I drive for 40 kms in a day diesel will work out as well as I plan to keep the car from more than 5 years.

Went to Prerana again (as I felt their customer service was better than Concorde) and took the TD of the diesel Linea. Felt it was much better than the petrol and not underpowered at all. But the GC was very bad in the diesel and I was hitting a lot of the humps and the AC was not effective at all. Later I found from posts in TeamBHP that tyre pressure should be 33 psi (to improve GC) and ACC will feel ineffective if ACC is not set correctly everytime. Told the manager because of the price difference between petrol and diesel (1.5 lakhs) I need some time to make my decision. Manager told me I can have another TD of petrol and since he did not have the petrol version at Sarjapur branch that day he will send it to me next day morning at 10 AM. The next day TD car arrived at 11 AM and I took the TD but still found the petrol underpowered. After 3 TDs of the Petrol Linea it finally went out of reckoning.

Since I was worried about the GC and ACC issues I faced I wanted to take another TD. This time I went to Concorde on Mysore Road. Their TD car (diesel) was the best TD car I had driven and did not find the ACC and GC issues in this car. My wife also finally like the car and we decided to go for the Linea Diesel Emotion Pack Flamenco Red.

When discussing the price, discounts and accessories with the sales person at Concorde Mysore Road salesperson told me that he will give me only floor mats free and 8k discount. He said mudflaps have not arrived from Fiat yet (though I had read in TeamBHP that the mudflaps are available). As this was in the first week of July he said he said offer for July from Fiat will come in second week and his final offer would be made after that only. I asked him to call me back once the offer for July was available. He said he will call but he did not. Also during the negotiations sales person kept leaving me and went to talk to other customers. I found this very irritating.

In the meantime I read in TeamBHP that Linea prices got increased by 10k in July. In June OTR was 9.8L but had got 12.5k discount + extended warranty free (worth 5k). Now the OTR had become 9.92L with 10k discount and no free extended warranty as well. I was a bit upset but decided to make the booking anyway.

I went Concord Mysore Road (as it was near to my house) and the salesperson said he will give me 8k discount, mudflaps, floormats and Sonax Teflon Coating. I told him I don't want Sonax then later he said he will give me Dupont. This time as well the sales person kept leaving me and was attending other customers. He also promised me loan @ 8.99% (which was for Dynamic and Active models only) but later said he cannot give it.

As I had a better experience from Prerana Motors I decided to make my booking at Prerana. Prerana gave me 10k discount, mudflaps, floormats and 3M car detailing. I paid 50k to the manager (Mr.Ashok) and made the booking. Mr.Ashok said car will be available in 10-15 days but SBI loan will take 20 days. Ashok's team also took care of all the paper work for the SBI loan a day later. They came to my office and collected all the necessary documents.

In the meantime I read that TeamBHP does not recommend any type of Teflon coating so I asked Ashok to give me reverse sensors for which he has agreed. Prerna installs only Circuit-I reverse sensors (..:: Welcome to Kumar's Automobiles & Agencies ::..)

I am also getting insurance externally. Bajaj Allianz has given a quote of 17k for 8L IDV. This is 7k less than dealer quote.

I am planning to get the following accessories for my car:
1. 3M sunflims (CR70 + CS50) - Rs.11000
2. Ceralli Leather - Rs. 16000 for regular leather and Rs.1900 for automative leather

It has been 27 days since I made my booking and yet SBI has yet to disburse my loan. The loan is approved but some finally paperwork is still pending. Ashok's team has kept me updated on the loan status on a regular basis. Hoping to sign the agreement in the next few days and possess the beauty by next week.

Till my next post - happy driving everyone !!!
Old 7th August 2009, 07:19   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
I am planning to get the following accessories for my car:
1. 3M sunflims (CR70 + CS50) - Rs.11000
2. Ceralli Leather - Rs. 16000 for regular leather and Rs.1900 for automative leather

!!!

achinthg! congratulations on the Booking. You will througly enjoy the Linea Experience and the Admiration!

when you are spending 9.92 lakhs on a car, i would advise you to check out Karllson leather @ indiranagar in Bangalore. phone number of the CEO available on request. Please PM me for that.

there is nothing called automotive leather @1900/- unless it is a typo on your end, this 1900/- leather is Plain PVC based rexine. also ask Ceralli the thickness / origin of the Hide that is offered at 16000/- IMHO it would be an Indian Hide, heavily dyed and chromatised which wouldnt last even 2 years without chipping off.

most of the leather seat manufacturers in India, i wouldnt like to name them here, use either furniture grade leather or cheap Indian Hides and make tall claims about their product. i invite you to go thru my thread and check out the pics of the seats made by karlsson!
Old 7th August 2009, 07:59   #3
BHPian

Congratulations Achinthg for both - Booking of Linea & TBHP Membership. Loan from a Nationalised bank and Team BHP membership requires hardwork .
Old 7th August 2009, 08:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesachin View Post
Congratulations Achinthg for both - Booking of Linea & TBHP Membership. Loan from a Nationalised bank and Team BHP membership requires hardwork .
well said sachin! looking back at my loan process, it didnt take more than 24 hours for the release of funds from the time i requested a loan. ofcourse the subject bank in question was ICICI bank. 24th April i asked for funding, 25th the DO was ready and the paperwork was done after the car was in my hand!
Old 7th August 2009, 08:55   #5
BHPian

congrats achinth.
Welcome to the "admiration guaranteed" club!
Old 7th August 2009, 09:01   #6
BHPian

@sunilrj
Automotive leather is 19k and not 1900 - sorry about the typo (I posted this at 2 AM). After reading your post I did enquire with Karlsson. He sent me your car's photo and letter of appreciation. I agree Karlsson is better but it is little out of my budget (I am broke after buying the beauty).

@nicesachin
Thanks for your wishes. Dealer said it will take 20 days but now it is nearly a month. But it is OK as I will save 15k in interest compared to other banks

By the way - is there a edit option to fix the typo in my post? I don't seem to find it.
Old 7th August 2009, 09:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Welcome Achinth,

Forum is filled with Linea and Punto threads.
If someone check this site,they simply thought,This site is meant for FIAT cars.
Like me,you also dangled with so many cars.Finally end with a Good decision
Happy Driving.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 7th August 2009 at 09:38.
Old 7th August 2009, 09:39   #8
BHPian

Welcome onboard Achinth. You have made the right decision and i am sure you will enjoy the car as much as we do.

Indeed, admiration Guaranteed.

Happy and Safe Driving.
Old 7th August 2009, 11:13   #9
BHPian

achinthg: Congratulation. Enjoi the waiting period. I said it earlier and say it again, waiting period for Linea is like period between engagement and marriage. I wish you all the best. I also got the same experience from Concorde and went to Prerana.
Old 7th August 2009, 12:35   #10
BANNED

Congrats Achinth

And don't worry, in a few days you'll get your hands on the beauty & you'll really enjoy her.
Old 7th August 2009, 14:51   #11
BHPian

On a lighter side.

Delivery waiting period is just like courtship period. Same excitement, same happiness.

The only difference is that post delivery happiness lasts for long in case of a car as compared to the other one

Congratualtions once again.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:21   #12
BHPian

Congrats achinth. Nice research and finally the right decision I would say. Do keep us posted about any hiccups or smooth experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
@sunilrj
.......but it is little out of my budget (I am broke after buying the beauty).
This beautiful mistress will take you to roads.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

congrats achinth! enjoy the beauty!
Old 7th August 2009, 16:06   #14
BHPian

Congrats Achinth!

BTW, am in the queue to buy Linea MJD as well
Old 7th August 2009, 20:19   #15
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the wishes !!!

Talked to Prerana Motors today, was informed in all probability all formalities of the loan will be completed by tomorrow and registration should happen on Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Team I need the following information:
1. Please provide me a Linea specific pre-delivery checklist?
2. Where can I get nitrogen filled for my tyres in South Bangalore (I stay in Padmanabhanagar, near Banashankari)? And how long do they last? And what is the cost?
3. Anybody has used Circuit-I reverse sensors? How is the performance?
4. Is the floormats (OEM) provided by dealer is good enough or is it better to go for better floormats from after market?

@sunilrj
Where did you get the Waxoyl paint protection, cavity waxing, engine protection and underbody waxing? What were the costs? Can you PM me the phone number?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks