Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2011, 17:07   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Superb(Type II) 1.8 TSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

How is mechatronics and DSG doing?
Any pro-active upgrade available to avoid the problem?
If ain't broke broken, don't fix it.

Wiper set were for entire assembly not just blades
Old 13th September 2011, 17:37   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks - quick question on starting the car (1.8L A/T petrol) - The dealer told me that i can leave the AC/lights on while turning off the ignition and when i switch it on again, it will not strain the battery or engine
It is safe to do this in both VW and Skoda. They have the coming home and leaving home lights set up for a reason. The AC doesnt switch on unless the car is started. So you are safe to start the ignition without straining the battery or the engine.
Old 14th September 2011, 14:41   #123
BHPian

I was faced with the very same question of having to shut down all systems (audio, air-con, lights etc) manually for the superb upon shutdown and startup, but from what i've learnt none of that is needed (ever noticed how the aircon takes one or two seconds before it comes back up to speed upon startup and the auto recirc comes back to default?). My car has covered 32,000 Kms in 18 months and i've never bothered to switch off any of the systems. The battery has not suffered any drainage issues till now...
Old 14th September 2011, 15:01   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

The second service bill has come to Rs.12,333 including wheel balancing and alignment of Rs.1500. The breakup is similar to the one posted on page7 of this thread, featuring the usual suspects- oil change, filter change,etc

Now that both the Superb and Altis(A/T) have crossed the 2 years mark with approx 20,000odd kms on the ODO, I can safely say that the Skoda has been significantly cheaper to run and maintain.

The last service of the Altis was a steep 25,000 as the brakepads needed replacements-Typical jap automatic trait of premature brakepad wear in our conditions. It's previous service bills too were around the 10k mark with synthetic oil etc.
FE of the Altis is 7kmpl while the Superb returns 8kmpl on avg.

Compare this to it's riva-The Accord and the Superb would seem even more economical as the Honda goes in for service every 5000kms and does not return quite the same FE either. The accord too is prone to frequent brakepad wear as per my past ownership experience.

Hope the Superb's brakepads last for 10k kms more atleast. My BMW's lasted well over 30k kms. Has anyone replaced the brakepads on the Superb yet? How much do they cost?

Nextup: Going to fill her up with a tank 97octane(where in Bandra can I get this). Had read in another Skoda thread that filling her up with 97octane once in a while results in a smoother/longer lasting engine. Not sure how far this is true but worth a short, for the first time I'll get to experience all the BHP I paid for!
Also, the bi-annual interior+exterior cleaning for the entire stable will be undertaken in a month's time.

Last edited by Sahil : 14th September 2011 at 15:05.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2012, 19:15   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Updating this thread after a year almost with some bad news! My worst fear came true- The DSG did fail on me and the Mechatronic was replaced, the part costs 1.5 lakhs but even though the car was out of warranty Skoda has replaced it for free. Although I was very annoyed that it took nearly 3 weeks for them to get the part and return the car !

The car went in for its 3 years service with only 24,000kms on the odo. I have been living abroad past year hence this car is barely used. The regular service was done and along with the Mechatronic the Suction Jet Pump was also replaced for Rs.5500 but we had to pay for the latter. The reason that was changed was because the fuel meter had conked off, I yet don't get why or how that happened. But they refuse to do that free of cost as the car was out of warranty and as they had already given the major part of the DSG free.

The service costs and consumables have remained almost the same as last time. Total bill this time was Rs.23,000 as the Suction Jet Pump was an additional costs as well as labor since this was not a free service as before.

Overall, I am happy that this car has turned out cheaper to maintain than I expected. However, the dreaded Mechatronic replacement that several on the forum have complained about has left a sour taste on the whole experience and ruined the faith I built on this brand over the past 3 years.

Butttttt, we do have another Skoda 1.8TSi DSG bought a little after this one and that has not shown any such problem yet. Fingers crossed. Will post an update if that one fails and then my faith in Skoda will be lost for good !
Old 3rd October 2012, 00:10   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The last service of the Altis was a steep 25,000 as the brakepads needed replacements-Typical jap automatic trait of premature brakepad wear in our conditions. It's previous service bills too were around the 10k mark with synthetic oil etc.
FE of the Altis is 7kmpl while the Superb returns 8kmpl on avg.
Why are you using Synthetic oil for the Altis? I mean is it recommended or are you putting synthetic on your own? Asking as my 2008 Accord V6 takes in regular mineral oil.

Also how soon(Odo reading) did the brake pads required changing? I know the 8th Gen accord(The one I have) had early brake pad wear issue didn't know it was the case with Toyotas as well.
Old 3rd October 2012, 07:09   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

I use synthetic out of my own choice. It's longer lasting and better.

From my experience the Jap's brake pads wear out at around 20-25k where as Germans last longer. The Superb has done 24k kms yet no need for a brake pad replacement.
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:09   #128
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010

It is safe to do this in both VW and Skoda. They have the coming home and leaving home lights set up for a reason. The AC doesnt switch on unless the car is started. So you are safe to start the ignition without straining the battery or the engine.
This is right. I have once or twice forgotten to knock off the AC while switching off and again while restarting the vehicle.
The AC comes on after a minor delay of about 10 to 15 seconds max.
No strain on the engine on account of this delayed action!
Old 3rd October 2012, 08:54   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Butttttt, we do have another Skoda 1.8TSi DSG bought a little after this one and that has not shown any such problem yet. Fingers crossed. Will post an update if that one fails and then my faith in Skoda will be lost for good !
Sad to hear about your mechanotronic troubles. It is quite common withe the 7 speed DSG in the Petrol AT. I too have been given the feedback by a senior customer care official from Skoda that in all the 2012 models the software of the 7 speed DSG has been further modified to suit Indian conditions to minimize this issue.

Keep updating and happy driving.
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:50   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use synthetic out of my own choice. It's longer lasting and better.

From my experience the Jap's brake pads wear out at around 20-25k where as Germans last longer. The Superb has done 24k kms yet no need for a brake pad replacement.
Ok, so you use Synthetic on your own, i was wondering if its recommended.

Having said that, I really wonder goes for a Corolla that makes it worth buying, I know there is nothing wrong but its the dullest looking in competition and from your experience its not the cheapest to maintain either, if you want Jap reliability there is always the Civic.

I think availability of the diesel option is probably what makes it sell but why the petrol? I dont get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is right. I have once or twice forgotten to knock off the AC while switching off and again while restarting the vehicle.
The AC comes on after a minor delay of about 10 to 15 seconds max.
No strain on the engine on account of this delayed action!
I don't think its unique to VW. Also dont see the connection with coming home lights with this.

My father never switched off A/c on his Alto VXi 1.1 & in 7 years of his ownership he replaced battery only once that too after 5.5 years. No additional work was required on any A/c Components.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd October 2012 at 19:52.
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:01   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Ok, having said that, I really wonder what is good about a Corolla that makes it worth buying, I know there is nothing wrong but its the dullest looking in competition. and from your experience its not the cheapest to maintain either, if you want Jap reliability there is always the Civic.

I think the only the diesel option makes it sell as a reliable Jap luxury(well) sedan.
I bought the Altis 3 years back when it was relatively a fresh launch. I prefer buying cars early in their life cycle so they don't feel dated over the years. Almost all my purchases have been this way.
The reason I did not pick the civic back then is because it had been around long enough and did not offer the same value as the Altis that came with Xenon lamps, LEDs, etc. The ground clearance of the Civic was another major issue.

There was no need for a diesel as the car run less than 25k kms in 3 years. Moreover, back then the only good diesel option was the Laura DSG which was far more expensive than the Altis.

That being said, it is relatively cheap to maintain. I was only comparing it to the Superb hence it is makes it sound as if its expensive to maintain but in reality it is not. Besides the brakepad costs that were a major expense.
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:07   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought the Altis 3 years back when it was relatively a fresh launch. I prefer buying cars early in their life cycle so they don't feel dated over the years. Almost all my purchases have been this way.
The reason I did not pick the civic back then is because it had been around long enough and did not offer the same value as the Altis that came with Xenon lamps, LEDs, etc. The ground clearance of the Civic was another major issue.

There was no need for a diesel as the car run less than 25k kms in 3 years. Moreover, back then the only good diesel option was the Laura DSG which was far more expensive than the Altis.

That being said, it is relatively cheap to maintain. I was only comparing it to the Superb hence it is makes it sound as if its expensive to maintain but in reality it is not. Besides the brakepad costs that were a major expense.
I was not doubting your purchase decision, buying a fresh model makes sense. What I was wondering was that if someone buys a Petrol Altis today, what would be the reasons?

Isn't a Jetta or Laura a better option? Ofcourse Jap reliability is something that can not be overlooked.

Also is the Altis cheaper than its peers in Maintenance?

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd October 2012 at 20:31.
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:28   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Also is the Altis cheaper than its peers in Maintenance?
I would think so, at least in the long run.
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:31   #134
Senior - BHPian

Hmm so it still has a strong case in its favor. Corolla was always a no nonsense practical car worldwide. I just wondered if it made similar sense in India & looks like it does. Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 14:05   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Bumping up my thread after 3 years. The car is now 6 years old and done just 45000kms and yet again the DSG Mechatronic has failed. However, this time I am happy to post that Skoda has agreed to change the 2.5 lakh rupee part for free and apparently will also be covered under a part warranty after this change so the car is secure.
Unlike the previous time, there was no haggling this time around. The car refused to get in gear on Sunday morning when we started it. Got it towed on a flatbed to the dealer on Monday and just got a call that mechatronic is busted and will be replaced by some new technology part that is specific to this car and engine unlike the universal ones that were used earlier.
The car went in for it's annual service a month ago where the gearbox oil was changed under warranty as a precaution since they expected the gearbox to give way. A month later it indeed give way.
I was furious when this happened but I will give the devil it's due that they are willingly replacing the part. I have pushed for an extended warranty for a year or two on the car as compensation. I hope they oblige. But for now, I am looking to sell this car even though its probably the most reliable it has been in years with the new DSG being put but I yet feel its time for an upgrade from Skoda for me.

Last edited by Sahil : 8th December 2015 at 14:07.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks