Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2009, 06:53   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
First of all Frank congrats on the great buy, white is a really royal colour. For all the rust problems see the Punto thread. Rusting of castings to some extent is normal. Show me any car new or old and I will show them rusted parts (including my own Ritz). It is the body metal which is not supposed to be rusted and we expect every part to be rust free. Even if you cleaned the calliper and scraped out the rust a few hours rain and again there will be thin layer of rust. If this bothers you wait for the rainy season to go (which will be any time soon), clean all the rust and then do a proper undercoat. Frankly it will be of no use only for your mind to be happy.
cross posting this from the Punto Thread:

its oxidation and not rusting Comrade!!

Rust is a general term for a series of iron oxides, usually red oxides, formed by the reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. Several forms of rust are distinguishable visually and by spectroscopy, and form under different circumstances.[1] Rust consists of hydrated iron(III) oxides Fe2O3·nH2O and iron(III) oxide-hydroxide (FeO(OH), Fe(OH)3). Rusting is the common term for corrosion of iron and its alloys, such as steel

When in contact with water and oxygen, or other strong oxidants and/or acids, iron will rust. If salt is present as, for example, in salt water, it tends to rust more quickly, as a result of the electro-chemical reactions. As with other metals, a tightly adhering oxide coating, a passivation layer, protects the bulk iron from further oxidation. Thus, the conversion of the passivating iron oxide layer to rust results from the combined action of two agents, usually oxygen and water. Other degrading solutions are sulfur dioxide in water and carbon dioxide in water. Under these corrosive conditions, iron(III) species are formed. Unlike iron(II) oxides, iron(III) oxides are not passivating because these materials do not adhere to the bulk metal. As these iron(III) compounds form and flake off from the surface, fresh iron is exposed, and the corrosion process continues until all of the iron(0) is either consumed or all of the oxygen, water, carbon dioxide, or sulfur dioxide in the system are removed or consumed.
Old 15th August 2009, 13:30   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
hope you're happy with the package you received. do let me know how it goes.

Well Dr. Mehta as of now have not been able to take a look at the wodden box worth Rs.400 as it's been packed tight in the fruit crate. Searching for some tool to strip the wood off!!
Old 15th August 2009, 13:36   #93
BHPian

I was a bit worried in your zxi vs S thread. Glad you made the decision for the fiesta sport frank!
Congrats again!
Old 15th August 2009, 13:50   #94
Senior - BHPian

frankie, those are some cool pics of your new ride which is awesome, white looks amazing!
Old 15th August 2009, 20:07   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Its normal for a car that was idle in an open stockyard right from April till date (4 and half months). Please clean it up with any solution/liquid suggested by experts/your mechanic. It should be just periferral layer. So nothing to worry.

Wheel alignment part, I thought they already did it. I am upgrading my Fiesta tires to Michelin 185/65 with Plati alloys tomorow. They will fit everything and do the alignment and balancing immediately, whole thing promised to be completed in 1 hour (all machine work, nothing manual). So, I think you need to do that missed part. Normally the tire dealer does all that free when you buy new tires. Mine is anyway free balancing and alignment with the Reebok travel bag from Michelin too !
glad to hear that you are getting the new wheels and tyres sir! I didn't get any Michelin Reebok bag. But maybe, you have to buy 5 tyres for that. Anyways tomorrow I am going for balancing and alignment, so will ask if I can get one

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
@frank,

The metal rods look damn corroded!
How old is this car. I think its been lying in the dealer's open yard right?

Though the discs looks like surface rust (normal).
i am sure its an oxidation layer.

Cant rust in 3 months of storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Congrats frankmehta. The fiesta is looking hot in white. Wish you many years of happy motoring with her.
thanks sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
franky! alignment needs to be done as well as balancing as you have changed the tyres to the next recommended upsize!

corrossion of the discs is normal since theyre cast iron. corrossion of the lower arms ?? a bit abnormal. do a underbody waxing!

lineans / punters.. look at this! you used to complain that only fiat cars have rusted discs / lower arms!
yea, ill get an underbody waxing done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ada View Post
First of all Frank congrats on the great buy, white is a really royal colour. For all the rust problems see the Punto thread. Rusting of castings to some extent is normal. Show me any car new or old and I will show them rusted parts (including my own Ritz). It is the body metal which is not supposed to be rusted and we expect every part to be rust free. Even if you cleaned the calliper and scraped out the rust a few hours rain and again there will be thin layer of rust. If this bothers you wait for the rainy season to go (which will be any time soon), clean all the rust and then do a proper undercoat. Frankly it will be of no use only for your mind to be happy.
thank you sire. i will do the needful. i know an undercoat wont do me any good. These are all forged cast metals, they can't rust so easily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
congrats on the white beauty frank.

its indeed a cargasm... name her that.... CARGASM
cheers man. coming tomorrow no??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
They dont! Trust me. Not with bill and warranty anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Surface rust is absolutely normal and harmless. Get wheel alignment done, you might want to adjust tyre pressure for upsized tyres to get rid of the sway.

Cheers,
i am going on Monday. I feel some play in the steering too. Is it ok, after getting new tyres and NOT balancing?? They only put the alloys on that machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Frank

Congrats on the fabulous car. You'll surely enjoy driving her (I owned a Ford earlier & was in absolute love with her for the sheer driving pleasure)

On the rust pics, 1st & 3rd pics seems normal. In 2nd pic the part looks to be too much rusted.
thanks for the words! i hope owning a ford is a pleasant experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
cross posting this from the Punto Thread:

its oxidation and not rusting Comrade!!

Rust is a general term for a series of iron oxides, usually red oxides, formed by the reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. Several forms of rust are distinguishable visually and by spectroscopy, and form under different circumstances.[1] Rust consists of hydrated iron(III) oxides Fe2O3·nH2O and iron(III) oxide-hydroxide (FeO(OH), Fe(OH)3). Rusting is the common term for corrosion of iron and its alloys, such as steel

When in contact with water and oxygen, or other strong oxidants and/or acids, iron will rust. If salt is present as, for example, in salt water, it tends to rust more quickly, as a result of the electro-chemical reactions. As with other metals, a tightly adhering oxide coating, a passivation layer, protects the bulk iron from further oxidation. Thus, the conversion of the passivating iron oxide layer to rust results from the combined action of two agents, usually oxygen and water. Other degrading solutions are sulfur dioxide in water and carbon dioxide in water. Under these corrosive conditions, iron(III) species are formed. Unlike iron(II) oxides, iron(III) oxides are not passivating because these materials do not adhere to the bulk metal. As these iron(III) compounds form and flake off from the surface, fresh iron is exposed, and the corrosion process continues until all of the iron(0) is either consumed or all of the oxygen, water, carbon dioxide, or sulfur dioxide in the system are removed or consumed.
really appreciate that explanation mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Well Dr. Mehta as of now have not been able to take a look at the wodden box worth Rs.400 as it's been packed tight in the fruit crate. Searching for some tool to strip the wood off!!
hehehe. let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
I was a bit worried in your zxi vs S thread. Glad you made the decision for the fiesta sport frank!
Congrats again!
yea, when I saw the no of changes between the s and the zxi, i thought I should go for the S. also got a sweet deal on the S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
frankie, those are some cool pics of your new ride which is awesome, white looks amazing!
thanks a million. love the way she looks in photos as well
Old 15th August 2009, 22:40   #96
BHPian

congrats frank. I hope you have seen my thread on Zxi Fiesta. I don't feel any play in my steering. In fact my friend who has driven almost all the hatchbacks and used to the play in steering was suprised to see a car with no play at all. May be it is a matter of mind set.
Old 15th August 2009, 22:51   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

i am going on Monday. I feel some play in the steering too. Is it ok, after getting new tyres and NOT balancing?? They only put the alloys on that machine.
I presumed that they balanced the wheel+tyre after mounting the new tyres. If it is not done please get it done ASAP.

Imho however, imbalanced wheels cannot be the cause of steering play.

Cheers,
Old 15th August 2009, 23:03   #98
BHPian

Quote:
glad to hear that you are getting the new wheels and tyres sir! I didn't get any Michelin Reebok bag. But maybe, you have to buy 5 tyres for that. Anyways tomorrow I am going for balancing and alignment, so will ask if I can get one
frank, you get the travel bag with the 4 tyres as well, here's the offer page for reference, you can call michelin if they dont give it to you!!

Free Travel Bag / Campaigns / Promotions & Campaigns / News & Promotions / Home - www.michelin.in
Old 16th August 2009, 00:18   #99
Senior - BHPian

ok. ill do that. monday anyways I am going to meet that fellow. Balancing is what? And alignment is what?? I am confused!
Old 16th August 2009, 00:22   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Balancing: They remove each wheel+tyre and rotate it on a machine to check for imbalances. They then add weights to balance the wheel so that no vibrations and wobbles are felt at the steering.

Alignment: Certain suspension settings are set to the target data. Being a new car, this should be perfect already, but it wont harm you if you get it done. This helps prevent uneven tyre wear and pulling the car to one side.
Old 16th August 2009, 00:33   #101
Senior - BHPian

My car has become a little skittish on bumps. Tugs to one side a little while braking. Also, I feel like there is some play in the steering wheel. About 2 mm on each side. WHAT are we looking at?
Old 16th August 2009, 00:36   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey frank,
The car looks superb!
Congrats and drive safe.
Also, please please remove the Shaman Ford sticker on the first service itself.
I removed the one on our fiesta recently and I don't know why but I can still see a faint yellow imprint of Shaman Ford on the rear windscreen. It hasn't gone after 2 weeks and I plan on firing them this time when it goes for service.
Ill try taking a pic if you would like to see what I am talking about.
Old 16th August 2009, 00:55   #103
BHPian

Quote:
My car has become a little skittish on bumps. Tugs to one side a little while braking. Also, I feel like there is some play in the steering wheel. About 2 mm on each side. WHAT are we looking at?
In addition to your above observations, does the steering feel light and you dont get the confidence to leave both hands while tracking straight? Its faulty wheel alignment settings for sure. Also, before they start the procedure, ask them to check the air on all four tyres. I usually go to Premji Sales at Mahim and they do a good job. The machines they use for four wheel alignment are from 'John Bean", which is supposedly one of the best. If you are not confident about your tyre guy, I think you could consider them.

Last edited by roms : 16th August 2009 at 01:00.
Old 16th August 2009, 01:58   #104
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Frank! That's one hot rod, simply stunning in white. Great choice along with the tyres. That's gonna be one car on rails.
Can't wait to see the ICE going in there now.

Enjoy driving for miles to come.

Last edited by Invinsible : 16th August 2009 at 02:02.
Old 16th August 2009, 02:40   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PP2s dont come in 195/55 R15. At least officially.
Quote:
They dont! Trust me. Not with bill and warranty anyway.
As a matter of fact they do Nikhil, or at least one batch did. Apparently according to a Michelin official they brought in one lot by 'mistake' and they realise demand for this size was low so all of them were sent to dealers in Punjab since chances of these selling there is better.

I was told that if I wanted any they would have to arrange some to be brought back from one of the dealers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks