Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2009, 11:32   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, the guys in charge of South India categorically said that they dont have it, they dont bring it in and they cannot get it for me. As you said, maybe they decided to keep it only in the North.
Old 16th August 2009, 15:27   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
noticed some rust on the caliper, drum and the surrounding metal parts.
Can someone tell me if this is normal?
Also, after changing the tyres, the car slightly sways to one side on braking.
The rust you described is normal for brake discs and drums.However,I am not happy with oxidation on the lower arm - perhaps Ford makes arms that way.All lower arms I have seen come painted black.

Quote:
Tugs to one side a little while braking. Also, I feel like there is some play in the steering wheel. About 2 mm on each side. WHAT are we looking at?
I am surprised the tyre guy didn't do alignment and balacing after the tyre change.Normally,they do the balancing free and charge only for the weights.

Does the car move to one side even when you are driving in a straight line and just let the steering free?If yes,then the problem is misalignment.

I have a feeling that if the car sways/tugs to one side on braking,you might still see this issue even after alignment - get the brakes checked
Old 16th August 2009, 18:12   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The rust you described is normal for brake discs and drums.However,I am not happy with oxidation on the lower arm - perhaps Ford makes arms that way.All lower arms I have seen come painted black.
i think the oxidation is just fine. maybe the choice of materials used by Ford to quote these parts is not upto the mark. Mechanically, though, I am fine with it!

Quote:

I am surprised the tyre guy didn't do alignment and balacing after the tyre change.Normally,they do the balancing free and charge only for the weights.
no alignment was done. balancing of the alloys on the new tyres was done, though. i shall go for alignment and that free bag tomorrow.
Quote:
Does the car move to one side even when you are driving in a straight line and just let the steering free?If yes,then the problem is misalignment.
yes, that is what the problem is.
Quote:
I have a feeling that if the car sways/tugs to one side on braking,you might still see this issue even after alignment - get the brakes checked
i shall now comment on this after alignment.

thank you Somnath ji for the advice.
Old 17th August 2009, 00:16   #109
Senior - BHPian

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-ff1.jpg

first of all get the rusted arm changed under warrenty..its a brand new car and they have to change it..

secondly.. since the car was standing in the company's yard for well over 4 months, that too in open and was not driven, I suppose the brake pads could have become hard (my cedia's brake pads also went hard as the previous owner drove the car for just 500kms in last 4-5 months before he sold it to me, but the problem of uneven braking occoured after I dove the car about 6k kms after having bought it). Hard pads result in unever wear of disks and as I have maked, see the lines on the discs.. they come up either with hard pads or when the pads wear out. this results in uneven braking..

I would say get it checked at the service station and then take a call. Since companies consider pads and disks, as a part of wear and tear.. this normally doesnt come under warrenty.. but for a car as new as yours.. you have to talk to the After sales person concerned..

Lastly, as you reported if the cars goes to one side while braking.. its definately the pads.. no doubt about it.. if it would have normally been going to one side while being driven.. the allignment would have been an issue.. plus the balancing as others said is done when the when the tyres or rims/ alloys are changed. it should have been done by the shopkeeper. Allignment is normally not required in a car that new.
Attached Thumbnails
frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-ff2.jpg  

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 17th August 2009 at 00:18.
Old 17th August 2009, 00:20   #110
Senior - BHPian

i am now officially scared. what if the company doesn't change these? How do I show it to them? Changing tyres voids the warranty right? What if they wash their hands of the car if that is the case?
Old 17th August 2009, 00:27   #111
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Frank. And welcome to the PP2 club

And hope these rusting issues are put to rest soon
Old 17th August 2009, 00:33   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i am now officially scared. what if the company doesn't change these? How do I show it to them? Changing tyres voids the warranty right? What if they wash their hands of the car if that is the case?
No need to worry on the pads and disks front sir.. first things first get the rusted arm changed.. plus I just think pads and disks can be an issue..I hope I go wrong.. but even if thats an issue a normal disk phase with brake pads change will do the need full.. no need to worry..

also change of tyres does not void warrenty.. no way..a company cant just get off by saying that the warrenty is void by changing tyre.. talk to the company and keep Team-Bhp unpdated.. I am sure the car will be all right

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 17th August 2009 at 00:37.
Old 17th August 2009, 00:35   #113
Senior - BHPian

I am just scared about the fact that they will void the warranty cos i changed the tyres to a size larger than stock.
I need to speak to the lady who sold me the car, tomorrow.

and couldn't it just be an oxidation layer on the rusted arm? I am not too worried about that. I am more worried about the steering, and the slight drift while braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Congrats Frank. And welcome to the PP2 club

And hope these rusting issues are put to rest soon

thanks man. not yet enjoyed the PP2s to the fullest, since I had some issues with the car slightly drifting to the right. And yea, there was family with me every time we went for a spin this weekend. Will venture out alone now and enjoy the PP2s the way they are supposed to be enjoyed

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th August 2009 at 15:35. Reason: please read the note in post, thanks
Old 17th August 2009, 00:41   #114
Senior - BHPian

Congrats dude!!

Now I hope some really awesome ICE is coming up for this soon!
Old 17th August 2009, 00:43   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am just scared about the fact that they will void the warranty cos i changed the tyres to a size larger than stock.
no they cant sir... a tyre change cant cause any problem as such..plust as you said balancing was done so no problems should have occoured in the first instance.. but if at all it has then the problem can only be sorted by getting it checked.. no point thinking over it till you know whats wrong..
Old 17th August 2009, 00:52   #116
Senior - BHPian

ok mate. thank you so much. will definitely mail these pictures to the lady first. then get her verdict on this.
Old 17th August 2009, 09:16   #117
Senior - BHPian

A rusted arm hasnt got anything to do with tyre change. So that shouldnt be affected. Same goes for hardened brake pads unless its an alignment issue.

Dont worry, such scares always come with a new car. Yours is otherwise a fantastic set of wheels. congrats.
Old 17th August 2009, 09:20   #118
Senior - BHPian

i have decided the protocol. i am wheeling my car in for alignment today. if the problem of the car drifting to one side, still persists, we shall take it up from there.

as for the 'corroded' parts, I think they are ok and I don't see the need to request for a change.

the brake pads, as Dieselfan said, can be sandpapered and put back, since they are brand new. if replaced FOC by the company, so be it. Let's see. Trouble arises from the fact that no one in our house has the time to actually take this case up and fight against the people involved.

Let's see, will keep this thread updated with latest details.
Old 17th August 2009, 09:23   #119
superveloce

Quote:

and couldn't it just be an oxidation layer on the rusted arm? I am not too worried about that. I am more worried about the steering, and the slight drift while braking.
hey frankie, i hate to be the bearer of bad news. but this is something i had talked about in another fiesta owners thread too. i was specifically told by the shaman ford sales executives that even if the owners will change the width of the tyre they will lose warranty. i had a big argument with that guy, but he wouldnt budge. i told him that the rubber offered by the company was insufficient and i wanted to upsize. but he said that ford suspensions are designed to run on specified tyre size only. if the owner changes them, then they risk shortening suspension life.
so i would say, ask your tyre guy to give you your original tyres back, have them refitted, and send the car for warranty claim. i am hoping your tyre retailer must have not disposed them off by now. the money you spend in all this is worth the effort.
please dont own up to have changed the tyres to the shaman ford service people.

Old 17th August 2009, 09:24   #120
Senior - BHPian

will they notice that I have changed the tyres so early on?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks