Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2009, 19:05   #1
BHPian

Chevy Spark, good choice as first car? BLAZING RED 'LS' BOOKED, AWAITING DELIVERY

Hey folks,

Its raining new cars in the family and am loving every bit of doing the test driving!! after my dad's new fiesta, my parents-in-law are looking to buy their first car very soon and have narrowed their choice down to the Spark!!

We test drove the Spark LS yesterday at Kropex, a relatively new Chevy dealership on Hosur Rd and the drive definitely exceeded our expectations, I drive a Santro myself (2005 model) and was mighty impressed with the Sparky's suspension! It felt way better than the Santro's for sure! I thought this was because we were probably test driving a new vehicle but that thought vanished with a quick glance at its ODO, the TD car had clocked more than 5000 KMs. 'WHOA' was the feeling! I was also impressed with the space inside the car! I am 6' 3" and with the driver's seat pushed way back to its max position, there was more than enough leg room for the person sitting right behind the driver's seat to sit comfortably! The handling felt solid and the gear shifts were very smooth. The build quality in my opinion is way better than all of Maruti's small hatches (a-star, wagon-r, alto, zen).

I found this link on Chevy's website and it explains the advantages Spark has over it's competitors, check it out! Spark

The model that we're looking at is 'LS' which comes with AC, power steering, front power windows, and body colored bumpers as standards. Now, the new spark also comes with beige interiors which look more appealing and fresh as compared to the grey ones offered on its previous models!

The On-Road price for the LS in Bangalore is 4.13L as per the price chart. However, Chevy currently is offering huge cash benefits on the Spark in particular, the final on road price quoted for a Blazing Red (Non Metallic) LS was 3.65L which in my opinion is total VFM for a small city car!

Chevy also claims to offer a free maintenance/service package for 3 years or 45,000 KM, whichever is the earliest!

Now, although Chevy service is'nt new to us (my dad's 5 yr old tavera is being traded in for the fiesta which is due to arrive next week), i'd really love to hear from you guys on what you think of the car itself and the deal that's being offered?

Cheers!
Old 9th August 2009, 19:39   #2
BHPian

Have a look at my review on Chevy Spark . Its Blazing Red and LS version too !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...0-kms-odo.html

Hope that will clear a few things out for you.
Old 9th August 2009, 20:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

the spark is a nice car, A friend of mine bought a PS version for about 3.2L OTR when it had even bigger discounts.

To your question, the answer is a big yes. If you can get some more discounts for a model with grey interiors, go for that
Old 9th August 2009, 20:31   #4
BANNED

its a big big yes.

its really a very good choice for those who learned driving from driving schools in maruthi 800 and the best choice for those who learned in an amby. we will never complain about the extra heavy steering, the difficulty in maneuvering the amby through narrow roads etc.

and its a bit cheap to maintain, and if you can opt for a maintenance package nothing like it

wish you lots of happy miles motoring
Old 9th August 2009, 20:35   #5
BHPian

Its by far the best small car

Had this been a Maruti,would have outsold the Alto by a long shot.

And they have come out with some minor upgrades like biege interiors and a CD player,so thats VFM.

And I have heard the Chevy maintenance plan is superb.

Go for this car,wouldnt regret it.
Old 10th August 2009, 01:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Have a look at my review on Chevy Spark . Its Blazing Red and LS version too !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...0-kms-odo.html

Hope that will clear a few things out for you.
Very well written review vikrant, definitely helped! thanks a bunch for that!! the pics helped too, btw the sparky looks it's best in red!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
To your question, the answer is a big yes. If you can get some more discounts for a model with grey interiors, go for that
thanks a ton buddy!! i'll check with the dealer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas8700 View Post
its a big big yes.

its really a very good choice for those who learned driving from driving schools in maruthi 800 and the best choice for those who learned in an amby. we will never complain about the extra heavy steering, the difficulty in maneuvering the amby through narrow roads etc.

and its a bit cheap to maintain, and if you can opt for a maintenance package nothing like it

wish you lots of happy miles motoring
thanks thomas!! infact, my dad-in-law is currently learning to drive in a Santro and has a week of classes left! but am sure he won't complain at the end of it all either!

btw, the maintenance package is being offered free as a promotion. According to Chevy, its worth 13k otherwise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post
Its by far the best small car

Had this been a Maruti,would have outsold the Alto by a long shot.
Go for this car,wouldnt regret it.
cannot agree with you more! thanks joy!!

Last edited by raamki : 10th August 2009 at 01:14. Reason: typos
Old 10th August 2009, 07:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

I don't know how to point to it, but there is a thread on the Spark that I started when I got my new one last month. For the reasons I have written there, I believe that that the one to buy is the lowest end version.
Old 10th August 2009, 07:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good choice. The only issue with this car that it is from GM stable. But even then it did sell a pretty good numbers.

Cheers.
Old 10th August 2009, 10:36   #9
BHPian

My uncle was advised to buy a car to power steering after his heart attack. After TDs of many cars he opted for the Spark. It is a good car for city driving !!!
Old 10th August 2009, 11:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Yes go for the Spark its a nice car, in the city and on the highways.
Old 10th August 2009, 12:54   #11
BHPian

My Matiz gave me sterling service for nearly 10 years. I drove that for over 1 lac kms and it never stopped on road even once. Was very comfortable and fuel efficient also.

Hopefully Spark will provide you the same kind of ownership satisfaction. GO FOR IT.
Old 10th August 2009, 16:09   #12

Go for Chevrolet Spark.Very nice car,now it comes with 3 yrs or 45000 kms free maintenance package.
Old 10th August 2009, 17:57   #13
BHPian

Spark blazing red 'LS' booked, awaiting delivery!

@greenhorn - i spoke with the dealer, they don't seem to have stock of the older models anymore! moreover, my in-laws are keen on the beige interiors!

@sawyer, am looking for it buddy! we wanted AC and Power steering for sure which was available in the PS. But for an additional 20K on the LS, we were getting body colored bumpers, fabric inserts, front power windows and wheel caps! we thought it was a price worth paying for the additions!

AK, Awesome!! thanks a ton buddy!

thanks a bunch everyone!! my in-laws have now gone ahead with the booking and are super happy and excited to take delivery already! Blazing Red LS it's going to be!

I'll keep you guys posted, thanks again!

MODS: Please change the title of this thread to "SPARK BLAZING RED 'LS' BOOKED, AWAITING DELIVERY!"
Old 10th August 2009, 18:19   #14
BHPian

Lovely choice. Waiting for the pictures and initial drive reports. Did you get any more discounts ? What was final price?
Old 10th August 2009, 18:21   #15
BHPian

Congratulations Raamki !

Having done 14000 kms on my Sparky, I can confidently say that its a good choice.

I too learnt driving on Santro and immediately after getting DL, bought Spark. Within a week started going on long drives and so far it's been a great experience.

I wish your parents-in-law have a great time with their Sparky
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks