Team-BHP - i10 Sportz AT- EDIT : Initial Ownership Experience
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   i10 Sportz AT- EDIT : Initial Ownership Experience (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/63314-i10-sportz-edit-initial-ownership-experience.html)

Yes, thinking about buying a new car, not many choices I have with me.

Reasons for new car:
1. I have a 5.5 year old Wagon R, which has done only 31,000 kms and I still hopelessly in love with it. But with age, the value is dropping and I can't keep it with me forever.
2. Last week, my wife and kid met with an accident. The honda dio skid due to a rash auto driver squeezing them to extreme left and they went down in a ditch, severely hurting them. They survived only with some severe cuts and bruises, by God's grace; it could have been fatal if they hit the concrete wall next to the ditch! Wife knows driving, but feels she would have it easier with a auto-tranny.
3. I want a new city driving car, though my stable already has a vtec (9-month old only) along with the Wagon R.

The short-list:
1. Maruti: AT is available with only Wagon R, delivery after 3 months from booking date. But already have one, so not interested.
2. Santro AT: It seems they have stopped and no more Santro ATs are getting manufactured.
3. i10 AT: Available in Magna, Sportz and Astra with Sunroof only. Sportz has a few things above Magna (rear spoiler, rear defogger/wiper, built-in music system) at a difference of 28K. Astra is too pricey, 1lac more than sportz, though is complete with airbags + ABS.

So, choice is between Magna and Sportz.

Need some help:
1. Which is the better option in the above 2- Magna or Sportz?
2. I want to tyre upgrade from the stock 155/80/R13 Bridgestone B250- what is the right brand/size?
3. Which shop in Bangalore and what price can I expect for buy-back of the new stock tyres/rims?
4. Looking for alloys also, any specific shop or style in which the i10 looks good?

Thanks
Nandi

Quote:

Originally Posted by nnandi (Post 1425042)
Yes, thinking about buying a new car, not many choices I have with me.

Reasons for new car:
1. I have a 5.5 year old Wagon R, which has done only 31,000 kms and I still hopelessly in love with it. But with age, the value is dropping and I can't keep it with me forever.
2. Last week, my wife and kid met with an accident. The honda dio skid due to a rash auto driver squeezing them to extreme left and they went down in a ditch, severely hurting them. They survived only with some severe cuts and bruises, by God's grace; it could have been fatal if they hit the concrete wall next to the ditch! Wife knows driving, but feels she would have it easier with a auto-tranny.
3. I want a new city driving car, though my stable already has a vtec (9-month old only) along with the Wagon R.

The short-list:
1. Maruti: AT is available with only Wagon R, delivery after 3 months from booking date. But already have one, so not interested.
2. Santro AT: It seems they have stopped and no more Santro ATs are getting manufactured.
3. i10 AT: Available in Magna, Sportz and Astra with Sunroof only. Sportz has a few things above Magna (rear spoiler, rear defogger/wiper, built-in music system) at a difference of 28K. Astra is too pricey, 1lac more than sportz, though is complete with airbags + ABS.

Need some help:
2. I want to tyre upgrade from the stock 155/80/R13 Bridgestone B250- what is the right brand/size?
3. Which shop in Bangalore and what price can I expect for buy-back of the new stock tyres/rims?
4. Looking for alloys also, any specific shop or style in which the i10 looks good?

Thanks
Nandi

After what your wife and kid have been through, I would STRONGLY recommend get a car with ABS and Airbags please:

Last week, my wife and kid met with an accident. Wife knows driving, but feels she would have it easier with a auto-tranny.

More so, as Aseem said, get the Asta with ABS & Airbags.

The short-list:

3 speed AT, useless.

Not available now, you are right.

I have it since 3 months, excellent car (I have a Magna though)

Need some help:

1st choice - Asta even though its pricey, but for ABS/Airbags i recommend it.

Best upgrade, 175/70 R13 Michelins XM1+, for that you will have to change the rims to 5.0 - 5.5J, 5.5 recommended.

Bangalore boys please stand up.

I love this car & i recommend it to everybody i know. Its a boon to drive in the city & with a kid in the car it will definitely help in keeping a watch in between. Go get it!

Thanks Anilkalvani and aseem for your feedback. Actually I am quite tight on finances and Asta would put me back for almost another lac. So, thinking of Sportz at this point of time!

maybe a tire upgrade can enhance the braking, though I agree nothing to beat ABS/Airbags!

Almost at the end of negotiations and finalizing the sportz electric red with optional red pack. Thinking about tire/alloy upgrade in one shot also!

Hmmm, so, in the sub 5 lakh category, i10 is the only AT worth going for?
I am asking because sometime in the near future (3 months or so), i will also be on the lookout for an AT hatch for my wifey.
Right now, it seems i10 is the best bet.

@ Amitoj | I heard some murmurs about an A Star Auto but really not sure if there's any credibility to it. You could watch out for that as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axe77 (Post 1426835)
@ Amitoj | I heard some murmurs about an A Star Auto but really not sure if there's any credibility to it. You could watch out for that as well.

Thanks for the tip, Axe. Any idea what type of AT are they murmuring as well? I hope its not the same WagonR type of 3 gear AT.
But if i10 is more spacious than A Star, then it would still be the i10 only.

sorry about the accident pal, hope they get well soon! if i were you, i'd go for the i10 sportz as against the magna and the asta!! :thumbs up

considering the fact that the accident occurred on a 2 wheeler, for city driving on a small car, ABS & Airbags aren't a necessity! (my opinion only, no offense intended)

raamki, exactly what I was also thinking, that we are not going to take it for any long drives, the i10 AT would be restricted to mainly city drives where traffic is heavy. So, can manage without ABS/airbags and no offense taken.
Now that Santro AT is also out of production, only solace is i10. I am also opting for Sportz, as that has more features than the Magna at just 25K more.

I had a similar thread in the the "What car" in the hatch area. Take a look at it. it has opinons of different people.
But the fact is have a sportz AT. it is 2 weeks old now. And my wife(&dad) love to drive the car. Especially for my wife, her confidence has increased tremendously. Now she takes it alone whereas in manual, she never did that.
It is a good car and the ONLY option you have if you want a AT in the small car.(reva is also there)

I have a Magna AT and quite a few things are missing that is found in base models of other cars e.g. No intermittent viper position, interior lamp does light when rear doors are open etc.. for the extra 28k, The Sportz is a good pick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhukar_n (Post 1428451)
I had a similar thread in the the "What car" in the hatch area. Take a look at it. it has opinons of different people.
But the fact is have a sportz AT. it is 2 weeks old now. And my wife(&dad) love to drive the car. Especially for my wife, her confidence has increased tremendously. Now she takes it alone whereas in manual, she never did that.
It is a good car and the ONLY option you have if you want a AT in the small car.(reva is also there)

Thanks Madhukar, infact I had gone thru' your thread earlier before foing the TD and then thought of booking the sportz (not the Magna, not the Asta). I read about your FE in the car, does the AT return only 8 or is it expected to get better?
I am also taking the car from trident, next to cauvery theatre. But discounts I am getting is lesser. Exchange bonus is only 10k (than 15k offered to you), as the offer you got was restricted to only till July.

Unfortunately, I was not happy with trident's executives with whom I interacted. luckily for me, I had a friend in sales, who helped me. Freebies is almost the same which you got.

Have you gone for a tire upgrade?

Hi All,

I have booked a new car for my wife (i10 sportz AT) and have mentioned the same in the following sections.

1. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ing-about.html
2. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ar-thread.html

Right after the booking, I have been in two minds about upgrading the stock tyres- Bridgestone B250 tubeless 155/80 R13- to something better. I checked with some friends in tbhp/local tyre shops, they said the right upsize would be 175/70 R13 which is available in Turanza and A-drive (my preference is Yokos though). Now, I will NOT change my stock RIMs to alloys, I will just upgrade the rubber.

I want a fair opinion from the "Tyre Gurus", do I need an upgrade from stock tyres with my kid of usage?

1. This car would be used only for city driving. It would be driven <500 kms per month, maybe lesser.
2. Most of the times (~80%), it would be used by my wife.
3. It would definitely NOT go on long, highway, high-speed drives, as I have my other car for that.
4. AT gives lower FE (i10 AT gives ~10kmpl that what I hear), how much does this tyre upgrade lower the FE?
5. Will the drive comfort be hampered if I use 175/70 (instead of stock 155/80)?

This upgrade would cost me around 7k if I buy Yokos A-drive (after trading in my stock tyres). But with the above requirements, do I really need this upgrade?

Most reviews say i10 is very undertyred for its size, esp considering you have the 1.2 engine and not the 1.1 engine.

But if you are sure you will use the car within city only since you have another highway car, and that the speeds will be very less and it won't be driven aggressively, you need not go for the upgrade IMO. As in just spending 7K. But if you really want the upgrade, you go for it.

But from your requirement, it is not an urgent necessity.

I think ride will be smoother compared to the hard compund B250, if the Yokos are soft compound ( I know Turanza is soft compund). But check what size is your wheels. To fit 175 section tyres, you need minimum 5" and optimally 5.5" width wheels.

For once, I'm going to say that a tyre upgrade is not required. Keeping your intended usage in mind, your car'll do just as well with the stock rubber.