Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 20:32   #1
BHPian

Whoever thinks Estilo is not worth a buy - think again my friend

One of my friends is lost for choice between Ritz, i10, santro, wagon R, A-star, alto.

he still is debating on choice, I sent him an email to help him with the verdict. here it is the mail below ... , for many more like him with a budget of 3.5lacs. he somehow had not warmed up to the estilo but now wants to seriously consider it.

xx , considering your thoughts in buying a new car and based on your requirement, I feel the Estilo meets your parameters well.. its spacious, frugal, reliable, with tested and proven mechanicals, easily availiable spares and service, Maruti brand, and will keep you happy for years, it will also fetch you good resale and you always have the option to trade in your car for another maruti down the line.

firstly buying a new alto serves you no purpose as the alto is not spacious, nor comfortable, not great to look at, but has reliable mechanicals and has great FE (for 800cc). M800 has more legroom in the rear than alto. Also little known fact is originally the alto came with the same 1.1 litre engine, which was later discontinued by maruti, along with the current engine, this same mechanicals is shared with Wagon R and Estilo and the engine base is same as the alto 800. when the Wagon R was launched many were reluctant to buy a Wagon R and chose between other options.

Ironically now Wagon R has gone on to become the top selling car and despite its age is selling like hot cakes, Maruti hence cant displace the Wagon R due to the market demand, which nobody dreamed of when the Wagon R was launched. Wagon R will sell for atleast more 3 years and register profits and costs recovery. the same was the case with the original santro, the swift, the ritz, the alto and now the Estilo.

people first were critical and then slowly realised the true value of these cars and demand multiplied. the latest to catch everyones imagination is the Estilo. a year down it will be a big seller. look at it as different from the Zen. the biggest mistake maruti did is to name it zen and hence the unfair comparisons. The Estilo is no zen but then the Wagon R sells because it is spacious, not a Zen. so is the Estilo.

Estilo is for nuclear families with working parents who like an alternative car which is maruti, is reliable, and economical and frugal. The Estilo (better name) is in simillar shape and class as Wagon R and is same if not better than wagon R. Admit it, it is in competition to the wagon R. one in every 15 small cars on the roads roughly is an estilo, its sells better than the fiats and fords and i20's and many other cars, just look arround you. people now have realised its potential and buying it up. you'd find Estilo's parked in new car lots and delivery areas of Maruti showrooms.

The Estilo needs to be compared to the Santro or a Wagon R and in comparison is a better finished product. people tend to be critical without knowing facts and without logic and reason. Have they tried the Estilo without prejudice and false preceptions, most are easily influenced by rumours that are whimsical and illogical. Look at the Estilo neutrally withouts any presumptions and you'll notice what an excellant product it is, service cost life long will be arround rs1200 to rs1500, It will return an average mileage of 16kmpl and 14kmpl in city. it more stable than wagon R, is cheaper, looks better for sure.
people who say Wagon R or i10 looks good and estilo is real crap, are hypocrites, looks are subjective and ask an estilo owner or veiw it in profile, it is as digestible as the others, its like the Toyota Innova, quasi mpv, reminds of popular french designs - renault espace style, it is more stable and aerodynamic than wagon R, gives more mileage, offers simillar seat space, legroom and boot space. this is the shape of the future cars tall, sharp, wedgy and lots of glass. it gives lot of space inside like MPV's. The Estilo is also a better bet among other Maruti's like wagon R, A-star, alto etc, and you get more car for the price you pay, the other alternative car is slightly expensive but fully loaded i10.

Estilo means attractive. Interiors are better designed, colourfull and functional, The drivers cockpit has access to all features and the beige interiors look great. The Vxi is fully loaded with lots of features and is cheaper than the Wagon R. It also offers more features than Ritz and also has a defogger. also resonable discounts are availiable, club both and you get and amazing deal, if possible trade in your existing M800 for a good price and enjoy further reductions. with the price gain you can turn your car into a beauty by purchasing an after market magwheels and make it hepp with low profile tyres.
The A star is a great car but cramped when compared to the estilo and the dash is a little high for comfort. In the wagon R, estilo and santro, even short drivers can feel comfortable due to high seating and low dash. Ritz too is a little high. the fully loaded estilo is a good looker, excellent deal, full features, VFM, Maruti peace of mind, resale value, economical, and space utilisation design multiplies the space inside than the wagon R. It is shorter to the wagon R but longer on the inside. the wheelbase is the same. also the front track is wider which means more stable. There is same amount of power as Wagon R and maintainence costs too are same as India's most reliable car. Suspensions are same and so is body safety, ride and handling.

I strongly recommend the reliable, spacious, Estilo Vxi and it falls within your budget of 3.5 lacs to 4 lacs on road, fully loaded, that can easily turn the car into neighbours envy, owners pride. You sure will be happy with ownership experience. and when you trade it for a new car Maruti will give you least depreciation. see the second hand rates of phased out zen, baleno and esteem at true calue, they still sell in lakhs. All Maruti's have strong resale whether great cars or not.

Many more should consider the estilo than just ignore it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th August 2009 at 00:33. Reason: Please include paragraph breaks, a few readers have reported your post as "hard to read" because of the lack of them. Thanks.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2009, 22:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

Very convincing write up....

But to my eyes, the Estilo is of the ugliest cars on sale today. I would prefer the looks of a Wagon R to an Estilo.
Old 10th August 2009, 22:53   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Very convincing write up....

But to my eyes, the Estilo is of the ugliest cars on sale today. I would prefer the looks of a Wagon R to an Estilo.
Looks are subjective. However the Wagon R is boxy and the Estilo is curvy. In any other comparison the boxy looks always loose out. What is the reason for calling the Estilo ugly. It's the same as the Wagon R but with a modern body. I think women will like the Estilo compared to the Wagon R.
Old 10th August 2009, 22:54   #4
BHPian

That's a good write-up.

Your posts would be much more easier to read if you put some blank lines between the paragraphs.
Old 10th August 2009, 22:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

well, if you want it , better buy it soon, maruti agrees with the rest of us and is replacing it soon
Old 10th August 2009, 23:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Its a Owner's Call

Good writeup, but I think the tone of the starter thread is very negative ( denoted by the heading).

@ Mods: please modify it appropriately.

Coming back to the point, I personally don't like the shape but I do know ( a colleague has it for the last 18 months and I have driven and been driven around quite a lot) that its a good car for a family of 4 ( 2 Adults + 2 Kids). The moment you talk4 people, its a misery for 2 grown-up adults at the back if a medium sized person is up front.

Agreed MUL service is one of the best ( in terms of reach only) lot of people are going for it, but IMO this is going to stop shortly
Old 10th August 2009, 23:14   #7
BHPian

I have always been of the opinion that you should buy an Estilo only if you look good in a short skirt. Since most BHPians would look ridiculous in short skirts, there are very few Estilo fans here.
Old 10th August 2009, 23:23   #8
BHPian

These could be your personal views, plz don't push it down so hard.

In my humble opinion, the good old Wagon-R has a better road presence and looks more manly, when compared to Estilo, that looks girlish. And with that pink colour, OMG. Again, my personal opinion.

Looks apart, I have read many a times that hadling of this car, the steering feel etc are bit vague and are nothing home to write about. Somehow, it does not evoke confidence and interest in me to consider this car as a buying option. Again, my personal opinion.

Yours are 180 degrees apart and we may as well agree not to agree. That's perfectly okay.

Cheers
Old 10th August 2009, 23:25   #9
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : Thread title changed. Please avoid generalizations and name-calling if someone does not agree with your personal opinion.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion here.
Old 10th August 2009, 23:39   #10
BHPian

s_pphilip,

While I agree with probably everything you wrote, in my book where the Estilo fails to delight is the body roll and very wayward handling. Some months back I had driven the WagonR, AStar & Estilo one after the other on the same 3 km stretch and boy was I uncomfortable with the Estilo steering.

That being said, the rest of the car is indeed value for money. Good for nice sedate city driving.
Old 10th August 2009, 23:41   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I have always been of the opinion that you should buy an Estilo only if you look good in a short skirt. Since most BHPians would look ridiculous in short skirts, there are very few Estilo fans here.
This is the ideal car not only for someone who looks good and wears short skirts, but also the everyday housewife for shopping, dropping the kids to school etc. Also for the senior citizens it is a good option. My neighbour bought it because he was finding difficult to get in and out of a normal car. I agree with the thread starter that it is a good option. Infact, I'm thinking of picking up one for my wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratim View Post
the good old Wagon-R has a better road presence and looks more manly,
Give us a break. The Jeepers in this forum will kill you!

Quote:
And with that pink colour, OMG. Again, my personal opinion.
You are now "legally" allowed to like this colour.

Quote:
Looks apart, I have read many a times that hadling of this car, the steering feel etc are bit vague and are nothing home to write about.
I've driven this car. Rides like the Wagon R. Great for the city. I don't think anyone will try taking it to the racetrack.
Old 10th August 2009, 23:57   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
One of my friends is lost for choice between Ritz, i10, santro, wagon R, A-star, alto.
he still is debating on choice, I sent him an email to help him with the verdict. here it is the mail below ...
hey philip, do you really believe Estilo is a better choice than Ritz and i10?
Old 11th August 2009, 00:05   #13
Senior - BHPian

wagonR Looks better in exteriors design while the interiors are better and more practical on the Zen Estilo. While they share the same platform, Zen I suppose is a bit smaller.

Somehow multiple product lines which often comfuses the customers seems to be working for maruti.

But, yes Zen estilo must not carry the 'zen' badge. It's an insult to a driver's car zen used to be. I would vote for estilo to be wound up.
Old 11th August 2009, 08:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yours are 180 degrees apart and we may as well agree not to agree. That's perfectly okay.
+1.

Hey man - we know you love your estilo and can write paeans about it. That still doesn't change the sales numbers, you know?

An estilo by any other manufacturer would've been a dud, period.

It was one of the weirdest launches because:
a. It cannibalized the Zen's lovely name (whatay car!)
b. It talked of other cars being boxes in its TVC - well the makers hadn't sat in an estilo themselves! The boxiest car on the road that time was Maruti's own WagonR
Old 11th August 2009, 08:48   #15
BHPian

sorry sir about the thread tittle, I appreciate that it was modified in a more presentable way, It was never meant to be offensive. I only wanted to draw attention to an ignored car by buy but is excellent VFM. good thing is, i see more estilo's these days on roads.
also to answer another aspect in comparison to the wagon R, sir I believe the handling for both cars are simillar and I have a feeling the estilo may be more planted though Ive never taken it for a high speed trial. The wagon R wont slice air as easily as Estilo due to more resistance. and also the steering on both I feel is same- EPS. Its a notion that Wagon R is a superior car and its maruti either ways who's laughing to the bank.
yes i agree with many it suits the shorter skirt as the car brochure displays.
and no sir, I think the Ritz and I10 are better cars than Estilo, in fact ive mentioned it above quote -
The Estilo is also a better bet among other Maruti's like wagon R, A-star, alto etc, and you get more car for the price you pay, the other alternative car is slightly expensive but fully loaded i10.
- unquote. but for a buyer with a budget both these cars loaded options are more expensive than the equipment loaded estilo.
I beleive most drivers may not go above 120kmph (therez not enough roads) and most small families with working parents rarely get time on weekends for a long drive. As a practical alternative to suit a city bred dweller driving on tarmac at city speeds with a fixed budget, no point stretching his budget if the cars will never be utilised to its optimum. hence its a waste of liquid cash.
case study: Ritz costs arround 70k more for Vxi and is not feature loaded, the FE difference is marginal, and all other maruti factors remain the same. If everyday driving does not call for sudden burst of speed, estilo does the same job as ritz. when the family grows and when therz surplus cash, you can trade it as any other maruti or car.
Looks are subjective: but from side estilo is like an MPV like Innova or has a side profile like Jazz.
I think these cars will be availiable for some time atleast. Maruti is a car maker that runs on number or car success calculations, look they havent phased the M800 yet, VFM car, i agree. unlike brave Honda whose models shelf life is 3-5 yrs.
I appreciate everyones opinions and it helps draw several insights.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks