Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 13:06   #31
BHPian

My Altis has done about 2,000 kms (got it in November 2009 - so it's a bit more than 2 months old). The drive has been good, but some small niggling things bother me. For example:
  • The matting in the boot seems to be hanging of the sides (near the tail light clusters).
  • The fuel average as displayed by the car always shows around 8.1 (mainly city driving - but 2 long distance trips).
  • When changing gears the rpm shoots up a bit (disconcerting as my Accent never did this).
  • The lack of a clock that is visible from the back seat is another minor annoyance - particulary in a 15 lakh car.
  • The clip on my front left bumper came off and has been replaced by Nandi Toyota Service (in Bangalore) with a normal hexagonal nut (just wish they had this clip - which costs INR 26 only in stock).
However, there is no denying that this car is typically Japanese - middle of the line and good in every respect. I just wish it had some "oomph" in one area that made it more than just the best intellectual choice (IMHO) in this range.
Old 27th December 2010, 20:29   #32
BHPian

Problems with My Corolla Altis

I have a strange problem with my 1 and half year old Altis, which even the service folks are having trouble in rectifying.

It all started just after the 1st year service. I started getting bad smell inside the car! The smell is definitely coming from outside - bad smell from some of the open sewage drains which are lots in Bangalore and also in heavy truck traffic the smell of diesel fumes!

I always drive with re-circulation mode. I have never driven in fresh air mode as I can't stand dust & smell. While on long drive on open highway etc, I rather keep the window slightly open for fresh air!

I gave it to dealer for rectifying. They seems to have replaced the filters as it was damaged, thought to be rats. I did not go to the service shop as I am being busy with work etc. However the bad smell continued. So I returned the car again after few weeks, this went on for about 3 times.

The 4th time they removed the AC evaporator coils etc, cleaned & fitted back. After receiving the car, I noticed a new problem. This time I am seeing vapor (steam like but not hot) coming our of AC vents after few minutes of AC operation. Initially I thought it is due to temperature difference etc. But this problem did not go away and along with that there was a bad smell. This time I am sure it is not outside smell, but something to do with AC itself!

After repeatedly observing this for few weeks, I gave the car to dealer again. This time they replaced some parts as they found some leaks. Now the car has been with me for a week+, the AC issue seems to have sorted. But I still get bad smell from outside creeping in.

Can anyone tell me, if you have noticed similar issues on Altis or any other car and how was it solved. I am planing to take it back to the dealer again for checking and want to have this outside smell blocked 100%. Already lost about 20 days of out of service due to this problem

Thanks for any help
Old 27th December 2010, 21:11   #33
BHPian

Re: Problems with My Corolla Altis

I spoke with my AC mechanic and he says the below would be the possible cause.

1. Some rubber beading/closure would have some leak causing outside air/dust to get in
2. Impartial closure of re-circulation outside vents(a thorough check is suggested)
3. Was there any ICE modification done (adding any amp??), if so we need to check the cables which goes to battery from amp, as they would make a hole behind dashboard to take the cable to battery, there should some leak from it.

He is confident that AC will not have any issues as Denso (OE supplier) are very reliable. Usually these issues crop up due to leakage.

Check and let me know on this. thanks
camchennai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2010, 21:33   #34
BHPian

Gany,

I have a friend who bought a logan 1.4 GLE. After few days of driving, he used to get foul smell inside the car. He drives the car in Recycle mode most of the time.

On a very sunny day, if the car is parked for sometime in the sun, he would see the inside of the car covered fully with mist. His instinct made him lift the mat to inspect. The cloth mat which covers the entire floor of the car was fully wet. I could see the water droplets if i tapped the fingers on the floor.

The car was fully stripped of the seats & cloth mat removed and dried at the authorised.

The smell was gone for a week and again it came back. This keeps repeating & finally he stopped using the car after filing a suit in the consumer court.

The reason given is, the A/C waste water removal hose/pipe was getting clogged for reason unknown & the reason remains unknown even to this day.

Inaddition to this, he has the problem of the dust. smoke and smell getting into the cabin even though the A/C is in recycle mode.

Mahindra engineers from Nashik visited to inspect the car, but went back fully confused.

Probably, You may please check the car for similar issues.

Last edited by nandans2005 : 27th December 2010 at 21:34.
Old 29th December 2010, 10:36   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
I started getting bad smell inside the car!

This time they replaced some parts as they found some leaks.

Thanks for any help
Knowing Japanese cars,there would be no issues with the ac etc unless someone has deliberately fiddled with it.

I think the foul smell could be due to some muck inside the car itself.Have all mats removed and cleaned.and the carpet vacuumed.Then see.I have faced this problem when I had an Esteem about 8 years ago.

It could also be that your fresh air intake lever is actually open while the indicator says Closed.Check that as well.
Old 29th December 2010, 21:00   #36
BHPian

Thanks to all for the comments & suggestions
1) ICE was not modified, the car is as in showroom except for adding rear parking sensor at the dealer while buying itself.
2) I do not see anything damp inside the car/carpet, however let me get this checked next time
3) This car has climate control (no levers), the recirc light is always on. I had asked this to my service person, he says no issues.

I am of the opinion, there is some joint that is not closing properly for some reason allowing outside smell to sneak in, can't figure out any other way.

Anyway I will be taking the car to service sometime soon! Btw I also got a call from the Toyota to understand this problem.
Old 29th December 2010, 21:17   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Gany, am no expert but I had a smell problem twice with my Accent GLS back when.

The first time it was a botched interior detailing job- the cleaning fluid didn't have sufficient time to dry before the car was returned to me. Everytime I came back to the parked car, it stank to blazes. Hyundai service apologised and took it back and did a recleaning free of charge. But it still took a month or so for the last of teh smells to vanish.

The second time was horrifying- some rat had chewed through some engine cables and then died and the decomposed pieces stayed in there. They cleaned and flushed out my entire AC assembly to tackle that. I couldn't shake off the icky feeling for months!

None of these sounds like what you're experiencing, but just thought I'd share!
Old 29th December 2010, 23:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

I think, if you are very clear it is outside smell, then dont fiddle with the ac mechanism. They (service guys), will be more than happy to replace everything if possible.

It could be probably a minor leak somewhere in the windsheild housing (cracked rubber etc), maybe even the side doors, or check if there is an air filter letting in air from behind the glove box (Some cars have this).
Old 8th January 2012, 21:19   #39
BHPian

Toyota Corolla Altis-Problems Galore!

Hi,
For the past 1.5 years I have been having harrowing time with my Altis!
Immediately after recieving the car from 1st service, I went on long drive & noticed Truck exhaust fumes are finding way inside my car eventhough I had my ventilation in re-circulation mode. Upon giving it to service they replaced the filter saying rat had chewed the same. However the smell did not stop entering the car! Since then the car was taken by the dealer half a dozzen time but with no solution. when I get the car back for couple of days I do not get the smell and as the day progress it start getting worser! Last December they did something, now the smell is reduced, but it is still there. Whenever I go near the famous Bangalore storm water drains or some polluted lake, the bad smell sneaks inside. Btw - do anyone else notice bad smell sneaking inside your car's cabin when on re-circ mode?

Second problem that I face for the past few months is some noise coming from the rear wheel (kind of squeel when I move the car from stand still & shift from 1 to 2nd gear). First time they replaced the brake pad, saying rear pads are worn, while the front is like new! (never asked them how can that be...probably a mistake). A month down the line they had to replace the brake disk saying it is worn hence the noise. Now I have both my rear pad & disk replaced (expensive repair) but the noise still persits!

Someone from the dealer was supposed to come for a check up, waiting on them for the past 2 weeks! Due to my busy schedule not able to drop into their showroom!

Besides this there are other minor issues that keeps repeating time to time! I had complained this to toyota, but they seem to be not interested. Now when I try to put in my concern in their website, it never gets sent

I feel like cheated by Toyota big time! Probably they sold a junk and they have no clue how to find root cause for this problem!

Anyone on this forum guide me for how I can take this to consumer court! I am not interested in money, want to teach a lesson to these folks on how to resolve customer complaints!

I had never seen this kind of problem in my previous car (NHC), when I sold it off for buying a new car, my heart went for all new HC & Jazz, but decided to go for Toyota thinking it is going to be as reliable as Honda and was also growing sick of low GC issue with Honda product!

An unhappy Toyota customer!

Gany
Old 8th January 2012, 21:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Corolla Altis-Problems Galore!

I guess Toyota is over confident about their cars and somehow have a feeling that they can sell no matter what. Did you not do a thorough PDI during delivery (guidelines given in TBHP)? It is likely that you could have been sold a lemon.

Which service center are you working with? You could discuss with Mr Vijayakumar (Nandi Toyota, Hosur road) or Mr Raghavendra Prasad (Nandi Toyota, Kanakpura Road), they'd definitely help you with their best. They are the heads of CR.

Last edited by bblost : 9th January 2012 at 12:05. Reason: Sending PM.
Old 8th January 2012, 21:56   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Btw - do anyone else notice bad smell sneaking inside your car's cabin when on re-circ mode?

Second problem that I face for the past few months is some noise coming from the rear wheel

Besides this there are other minor issues that keeps repeating time to time!
Sorry to hear your plight mate!
1. The rat seems to have chewed up some crucial flap which fully closes the recirc vent. Get that checked up. And NO, we don't feel any bad smell seeping in UNLESS its very prominent. Then no matter which car you are in, it will seep in, as no car (as far as my knowledge) is air tight.
2. Get rear suspension and brake pad/disk rechecked. I also had a similar problem and got the brake pad changed and the disk re-polished on lathe (off-market) and the problem/sound didn't recur in my Corolla (now sold)
3. What other issues are you facing? Overall your problems seem quite minor for you to drag it to court, but you are the best judge in this matter. Talk directly to Toyota Customer Care, Bangalore and as per my past experience they do a good job.

Hoping all you issues get resolved soon.

Last edited by bblost : 9th January 2012 at 12:06. Reason: Quoted post has been edited.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2012, 07:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I guess Toyota is over confident about their cars and somehow have a feeling that they can sell no matter what.
That i agree, they are now somewhat high headed about their cars.

Now back to the problem, well to certain extent even perfect new cars, some of the smell does seep in. As a check, i would recommend get into someone else's car and check. If you still think the smell in the Altis is more then give a hard time to the Service center.

On the rear disc problems, isn't that covered under warranty?

Last edited by bblost : 9th January 2012 at 12:06. Reason: quoted post has been edited.
Old 9th January 2012, 09:25   #43
BHPian

Thanks folks!
1) Rear disc - I was told it is a wear item hence not covered!
2) Other problems are - I get some sort of whirring sound especially on 2/ 3rd gear when I accelerate. it was serviced once when it disappeared only to reappeare. One of the door wing mirror does not work sometime, last time they charged me for repairing the cable connection...but it still works on its own will. I am hesitant to replace the unit as it cost 15K.
3) I did a PDI but not very exhaustive. The car worked for an year without problem, except for front passenger side suspension noise (when you go over the hump/ditch - makes a dud sound), which I was told is normal. I would think so as it happens when no one is sitting in passenge side.
4) The reason I am upset with this whole thing is repeated problem and their inability to solve. Couple of time the car was in service station for 4 days! It is painful to give car for service more than half a dozzen time in a year+ (car is 2.5 yrs old). The service folks atleast on my face show genuine interest to solve the problem, but I am not sure if they think I am a nutcase or they are unable to find a solution that can long last.
5) Before this car I had driven matiz, Palio(own) & city(own) + I have been passenger in Corolla, City etc - I have never felt the smell as strong as what i get on my car. Also tried to find many time what makes this happen, was not very successful. If I drive say near Varthur out of 10 times atleast 5 times the smell is unbearable inside! Same on silk board stretch. If someone sits with me as co-passenger like my family or colleagues, they get the smell too!
6) I was told by toyota that there is a fresh air vent inside the boot! If that is the case every Altis owner should be getting this bad smell, atleast those driving around silk board, Inner ring road/old airport junction, varthur road...I am hoping some Altis owner driving around these locations can comment if they get smell
7) I use car perfume, but still get this smell...btw wify tells me I am bit extra sensitive for smell! Though she also gets this smell & now-a-days she has started vomiting on long drive which she never did while we were driving on Honda City/Palio etc on the same routes! I think may be due to this smell!
Old 9th January 2012, 09:34   #44
Senior - BHPian

Gany,

1st item everyone has covered - 2nd item could do with leakage in the rear brake booster cylinder (see architect's ownership log for the issue I am mentioning).

It would be good if you can be comprehensive in your list of woes. as its posted now, its not problems galore to an average reader.

@Nitin - i'm sorry but that's not the case - pls don't allege things just like that.
Old 9th January 2012, 10:11   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Gany,

You will appreciate that service center folks are gifted only with limited abilities so far as diagnosis goes ; the rat theory in 8 out of 10 cases is humbug.

As Mayank suggested please check out for the same issue in another Altis(whose owner does not complain of a similar problem)

Also , if you report minor issues to the service folks,they'll simply change exotic parts - there is no time for them to patiently diagnose minor issues when they have a 100 vehicles to be delivered out by EOD.

Simply changing parts without reason is It's like ,say, replacing your disc in case you have back pain.

My two cents - put in some effort yourself and you'll be amazed to learn how simple the solution could be ; and when you learn and implement yourself,you'll feel like a king .
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks