Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2009, 22:21   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

* On the front seats, when you pull the door's interior "open" handle, even a locked door unlocks automatically; I would have prefered the conventional method of first unlock then open.
In BMW (a 2007 328i), whenever the door is locked, you have pull the door open lever twice - once to unlock it (the small knob pops up), and once again to open the door. Talk about German engineering !

Also, any individual passenger door can be locked / unlocked without affecting the other doors (this feature was there even in my old n grinding 1998 mazda 626, which had a separate central lock engage/disengage switch)

Guess Hyundai still has something to learn from BMW !!
Old 30th August 2009, 14:09   #77
Senior - BHPian

I've TD'd the i20 CRDI and the Punto MJD with a friend who is serioulsly looking for a diesel hatch, and man, it was a tough choice! Here is our feedback:-
  1. Both were good to drive and looked great---though the i20 looked better in the interior.
  2. The i20 had lesser turbo lag and better pickup, moreso on higher gears like 4 and 5
  3. The clutch was also better than the spongy one in the Punto.
  4. The engine noise was also lower.
  5. The only area where the Punto scored was on the handling front. The steering of the Punto was simply great, whereas the EPS in the i20 was like that on my WagonR, or on my pal's Embera.
  6. The gear shift on the i20 was great, though even Punto had a good one.
  7. Punto appears to be more fuel efficient, going by reviews on this forum.
  8. There are more stowage places in the i20 for bottles, etc. The arm rest for the driver in the Punto seemed to be placed a bit too forward.
Now my pal has to make his call---between the fully loaded Punto Emotion Pack that costs 6.8 OTR and the Asta model of the i20 that costs 7.7 OTR.
It is taking time to decide whether the 90 K extra is worthwhile for the advantages listed above. Of course there are other factors like A.S.S. and position of wipers and light stalks on the i20. But the Punto IMO is more fuel-efficient.
So anyone wants to add to the confusion can pitch in

Last edited by vnabhi : 30th August 2009 at 14:12.
Old 30th August 2009, 14:40   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Now my pal has to make his call---between the fully loaded Punto Emotion Pack that costs 6.8 OTR and the Asta model of the i20 that costs 7.7 OTR.
It all boils down to the extra 90K and how comfortable he is shelling out that extra money. It's a tough call because both the cars give something that the other doesn't. For example, i20 has disc brakes all round, Punto gives Blue&Me, Hyundai offers better after sales service, Fiat compensates for that by giving longer service intervals, i20 gives 90bhp but Fiat compensates by giving better steering and ride and handling.

Quote:
position of wipers and light stalks on the i20.
It's takes barely a few kms to get adjusted it. Surely it can't be a deal breaker.

Quote:
But the Punto IMO is more fuel-efficient.
I don't think fuel efficiency can be the deciding factor. Even if Punto is more fuel efficient, the difference will be barely a few kms here and there. Again, fuel efficiency should'nt make or break the deal.
Old 30th August 2009, 20:38   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

It's takes barely a few kms to get adjusted it. Surely it can't be a deal breaker.
Agree with all your other points. However, the reversed stalks can be a REAL pain if you drive 2 cars, and both of them dont have the same arrangement!

Imagine: Car 1 : Controls like the i20; Car 2 : Controls like the Punto.

"Confusion to hai utter"
Old 31st August 2009, 11:24   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It all boils down to the extra 90K and how comfortable he is shelling out that extra money. It's a tough call because both the cars give something that the other doesn't. For example, i20 has disc brakes all round, Punto gives Blue&Me, Hyundai offers better after sales service, Fiat compensates for that by giving longer service intervals, i20 gives 90bhp but Fiat compensates by giving better steering and ride and handling.

I don't think fuel efficiency can be the deciding factor. Even if Punto is more fuel efficient, the difference will be barely a few kms here and there. Again, fuel efficiency should'nt make or break the deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Agree with all your other points. However, the reversed stalks can be a REAL pain if you drive 2 cars, and both of them dont have the same arrangement!

"Confusion to hai utter"
Thanks for your inputs guys. As regards FE, I've read somewhere on this forum that the Punto averages around 15 kmpl in city traffic, compared to 12 in the i20. 3kmpl is a huge difference, what say? My pal is going for a diesel to use primarily for his daily office commute--to and fro is 40 kms. His Embera gives him 7kmpl which works out to Rs 7 per km.
He is getting a loan from his company and will have the advantage of pre-tax deductions from his salary, so 90 K does not pinch him, but FE is a primary concern for going for a diesel hatch.

As regards Abhij's point of view, I drive the WagonR and Fiesta regularly,and I tell myself consciously before taking off what car I am driving .
One more demerit in the i20 is that the mute and scan buttons on the steering wheel protrude out a bit, and many users like me have pressed those while intending to honk!

Last edited by vnabhi : 31st August 2009 at 11:27.
Old 31st August 2009, 16:39   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the front seats, when you pull the door's interior "open" handle, even a locked door unlocks automatically; I would have prefered the conventional method of first unlock then open.
It's the same in the Punto. If co-passenger unlocks his door, all doors get unlocked. I am not sure about this (I will pay attention the next time I drive!) but once I start driving again, doors lock again once the car touches 20kmph.

Quote:
I've read somewhere on this forum that the Punto averages around 15 kmpl in city traffic
I have driven only once in Mumbai's B2B traffic and it did return 15.1kmpl as per the MID. Currently overall mileage is hovering around 18-19kmpl.

Quote:
Quote:
I drive the WagonR and Fiesta regularly,and I tell myself consciously before taking off what car I am driving
SX4 and Punto here .
Old 31st August 2009, 21:51   #82
BHPian

Quote:
It's the same in the Punto. If co-passenger unlocks his door, all doors get unlocked. I am not sure about this (I will pay attention the next time I drive!) but once I start driving again, doors lock again once the car touches 20kmph.
No, no. In Punto, you need to "unlock" the passenger door to unlock all the doors. In the I20, just pulling the door handle of either of the front doors is sufficient to open that door (and unlock other doors), even if the door lock is engaged. Which makes the front door locks almost unnecessary.
Old 4th September 2009, 21:13   #83

A very happy day of my life.Booked i20 CRDI ASTA white from joshi automobiles mohali and would be getting the delivery in navratra's(most probably around 25-28 of this month).Thought,the dealer didn't offer any freebee's but i wasn't disapointed as no one else was on this perticular car.
Haven't thought about any upgrades at the moment as i didn't felt for any.
Took a detailed test drive today and it was as good as i first drove it.

Really,i just love the interiors,engine,gear shift and comfort of this car.
Old 16th September 2009, 01:10   #84
Senior - BHPian

Update: 1000 km/1 month

Update:

Getting used to the car now. Finally got the registration for my car, so I drive it much more freely. Still no accessories, been kind of busy and will get the accessories in the coming weeks.

Btw, Already got 2 small scratches on the car, both while I was stationary!
  • The average is constant at around 12 kmpl. My tyre pressure was 28 psi. Have increased it to 33 psi. Will report the result.
  • The car is QUICK. Once you get used to the correct shift times, there is almost NO turbo lag and one goes into triple digit speeds without realizing it.
  • A/C is good. The outside temperature today was sunny 38 degree C. The interior was chilling at 23 degree C. I have still not got filming.
  • The music system sounds much better while playing MP3's as compared to FM. Very noticable difference in SQ.
  • Had an accidental third gear wheelspin today! Crazy torque!
  • The ground clearance is good enough for bad roads.
  • The seats fold down flat, and there is good loading space.
  • The suspension is pretty soft, although that helps absorb bumps on broken roads, it does not inspire confidence for aggressive driving.
Will post more updates once I get the first service done in the next week. Plan to get the Oil changed, even though Hyundai does not recommend it.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 16th September 2009 at 01:13.
Old 16th September 2009, 02:06   #85
Team-BHP Support

Abhi, tell me something. Compared to any regular hatchback (maybe, barring the Jazz but then thats not regular either) how big is the luggage space if you do not fold the rear seats?
- Is it the same?
- Is it less?
- Is it a little more than on the regular hatchbacks?
- Is it a good bit more than most hatchbacks?

Also, can you put in 2 regular sized suitcases next to each other in the standing upright position?
Old 16th September 2009, 02:15   #86
Senior - BHPian

Changing oil at first service is definitely good- what would be better is having a 5000 KM change interval- that is, on mineral oils...
Old 16th September 2009, 09:49   #87
Senior - BHPian

Congrats AbhiJ for crossing 1000kms.
12 Kmpl in City with 100% Ac is really nice for 1.4 Crdi Engine.
with all goodies and nice backup from hyundai,Everyone will enjoy the car for sure.
Enjoy and Drive safe
Old 16th September 2009, 09:56   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by partizan88 View Post
A very happy day of my life.Booked i20 CRDI ASTA white from joshi automobiles mohali and would be getting the delivery in navratra's(most probably around 25-28 of this month).Thought,the dealer didn't offer any freebee's but i wasn't disapointed as no one else was on this perticular car.

Hey Congrats,
Check JayD's thread.
He also has a White Asta Crdi.But option pack.
Just squeeze Sales Guy to get some freebies.
Old 16th September 2009, 10:41   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by partizan88 View Post

congratulations. the least everyone got as freebies are mats and mud-flaps (and ganesha idol and perfume if you care for them).
Old 16th September 2009, 17:12   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Abhi, tell me something. Compared to any regular hatchback (maybe, barring the Jazz but then thats not regular either) how big is the luggage space if you do not fold the rear seats?
- Is it the same?
- Is it less?
- Is it a little more than on the regular hatchbacks?
- Is it a good bit more than most hatchbacks?

Also, can you put in 2 regular sized suitcases next to each other in the standing upright position?
Zappo, as far as my experience goes, I used to have to old Indica, and my uncle has the Vista.

The boot space in the i20 is def. more than both of the indicas. I dont know what the official volume of the boot is, but the shape of the boot is much more useable.

I ll try and post a few pics so i can give you a better idea of what I mean.

Most Viewed