Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 17:36   #31
BHPian

Finally !!!!

Guys,

Finaly i booked the new 1.6 SXI premium (platinum) today. i had a tough time dealing with 2 dealers and negotiating. I had go through a series of permutation / combination reg the deal. at last, its over and i sealed the deal.

Here's the details

On-road = Rs. 8.05 lacs
Insurance = free
4 yrs / 1.5 lacs km warranty included
Following accessories included:
- Ford spoiler
- Door scuff plate
- Sporty pedal
- Sun film (garware)
- Anti-rust
- Ford cushion / neck rest
- Floor mat / boot mat / mud flap
- Perfume
- Ganesh Idol
- Teflon
- Cigar lighter

Will be getting delivery within 15 days... thanks all for the support...

will open a new thread to post my entire buying experience (research, short listing cars, screening, bargaining, etc.)
Old 26th August 2009, 19:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

Great news---the price is good considering all the freebies you are getting. It is good to know that they are giving a 1.5 lac km warranty now----Suman's was limited to 80000 kms.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:17   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishgandhi_00 View Post
Guys,

Finaly i booked the new 1.6 SXI premium (platinum) today. i had a tough time dealing with 2 dealers and negotiating. I had go through a series of permutation / combination reg the deal. at last, its over and i sealed the deal.

Here's the details

On-road = Rs. 8.05 lacs
Insurance = free
4 yrs / 1.5 lacs km warranty included
Following accessories included:
- Ford spoiler
- Door scuff plate
- Sporty pedal
- Sun film (garware)
- Anti-rust
- Ford cushion / neck rest
- Floor mat / boot mat / mud flap
- Perfume
- Ganesh Idol
- Teflon
- Cigar lighter

Will be getting delivery within 15 days... thanks all for the support...

will open a new thread to post my entire buying experience (research, short listing cars, screening, bargaining, etc.)

Please explain in detail how you made dealer helpless and which force him to pass you every bit of discount

Once again congrats!
Old 26th August 2009, 22:53   #34
Senior - BHPian

congratulations bro! welcome to the 'club' :-0
Old 27th August 2009, 10:51   #35
BHPian

Thanks everyone

@vnabhi - yes, the 1.5 lac km warranty is a new offerring from Ford.
@kumar - you may say i was pretty lucky... i plan to post my detailed experience within few days.
Old 27th August 2009, 11:03   #36
BHPian

Yup, Thats an awesome deal Ashish, do let us know your experience and tips and tricks that might help any new buyers.
Old 3rd September 2009, 19:24   #37
BHPian

My Fiesta 'SAGA'

Finally, got a chance today to pen down my journey right from the day (some time in Oct08) when the thought first struck me abt changing my car, to the day (26 Aug 09) when I finally booked the Ford Fiesta 1.6 Sxi premium Platinum.

I currently drive a Santro Xing bought in Jan05 (dad bought it for me, since at that time I didn’t have money to buy a scooter). I am the only one driving the car (mom, dad, wify don’t drive and younger bro is in the US of A). So, it was completely my project – selecting a new car is no less than any project !!

Search

My search began in Oct08. Mom says I have been fascinated by cars since childhood, but it was that day in Oct08, when it struck me (out of the blue) that I should start looking at a replacement for my good old Santro.

First, I had a look at my financial position to decide the budget. Also had a word with Dad - he is still the supreme authority as regards financial matters – esp this big – are concerned. Fixed the budget in the range of 8 - 9lacs.

Budget decided, next was to lay the parameters.

What Car

It was to be a family car – hatchback or sedan. Essentially, what I wanted from my car is as under (in order of priority):
(i) Fun to drive (am not any Schumacher, but wanted the car to do the basic function impressively well)
(ii) Features (wanted to be pampered)
(iii) Looks (decent and smart looking)
(iv) Fuel economy (looking for Petrol since running is hardly 600-800kms a month. My santro has clocked just 36K kms in 4.5 yrs)
(v) After sales (easy on pocket and head)

Another issue was size – have got some parking constraints in my apartment, so the smaller the car, the better.

The choices that first came to mind were Maruti Sx4 and Hyundai Verna. Also, the ANHC was launched during that time. So, started researching on these 3 cars extensively. Internet searches finally directed me to Tbhp. Once on it, I was regularly following the threads relating to these 3, but never thought of joining it and making some contributions.

While I was still struggling between these 3, the Linea was launched – boy, what a car. The (ii) and (iii) on my wish list were immediately ticked. So, my entire focus shifted on the Linea. Again, Tbhp was instrumental in providing loads of info abt the Linea.

Then came the I20, the Punto and then the i20 A/T – the confusion reigned supreme. That’s when I decided that I need to shorten my range, so that I can concentrate my efforts and make a proper decision. So, the pruning began.

Short listing

Here’s my reasoning for rejecting various cars that I considered (no offence meant to anyone – just my view). The below list is in order of price:

- Grand Punto (killer looks, but susceptible Fiat A**, poor interior plastic, bad rear seat comfort, not so great fun to drive)
- Hyundai i20 (good all-rounder, but highly priced)
- Swift Dzire (VFM, but hate the looks)
- Fiat Linea (stunning looks, but poor pick-up upto 2K RPM, susceptible Fiat
A**, poor interior plastic, too long)
- Hyundai Verna (again VFM, but old looks, poor features)
- Maruti SX4 (all-rounder, but slightly odd looks - esp A pillar, poor rear
seat comfort)
- ANHC (not at all VFM, high price, poor features)

Cars not considered: Logan, Aveo, Fabia.

After preparing the above list, I realized no car perfectly fits my requirement, so have to pick the closest among them – thus, shortlisted on the i20 and the SX4.

Started the TDs once again – now with closer attention to small details, but still couldn’t make up my mind – heart said i20, but head said SX4.

Fiesta makes an entry

Sometime in Jun09, when I was on my way to the Hyundai showroom in Worli (Mumbai), I noticed the Ford showroom on the way. Though I had thought of Ford earlier, always ignored it thinking abt expensive maintenance and spares (had read it at several places). Nevertheless, I visited the Ford showroom and checked the Fiesta – was stunned by the Acq Blue Fiesta 1.6S. I didn’t TD the car on that day. Just checked it and was impressed with the interior fit and finish – though I found that getting in and out of the driver seat was an effort - my leg was banging against the tunnel below the steering. Tried several seat and starring adjustments, but none worked. With this in the back of my mind, I came back.

Then in July 2009, saw an ad in the newspapers abt the new Sxi premium. Was pretty excited and started calling dealers for more info on it, but they didn’t have any details yet. So left my number and asked them to get back

After abt 2 weeks, got a call from a dealer and went to check the new Sxi premium – had mixed feelings abt it – the beige leather seats looked plush, but the chrome outside looked a bit tacky. This time, took a TD and found the performance pretty nice – though couldn’t push the car much, as the TD was short.

So now, I was stuck with 3 cars. This time, got into detailed discussion with friends and also with dealers. Asked respective dealers to prove why their car is better than the other 2 – and the discussions were interesting. I recollect one point which the Maruti dealer made – he said that i20 was a girlish car. You are a man and u should look at cars like SX4...

Anyways, after 2-3 weeks of discussions and research, finally decided on the Ford Fiesta. i20 lost on the price factor, and SX4 on the odd shape (A-pillars) and length. Fiesta was the triumphant winner.

Booking process

Then began the dealership hunt. Went to 2 dealers (Wasan and Bhavna) and pitched one against the other, to get the best results. Trust me guys, it works wonders… after endless calls and 4-5 visits, managed to strike a supposedly good deal with Bhavna Ford. The details of my deal are already posted on this thread earlier.

Finally booked my Fiesta on 26 August, delivery on 19 Sept. The dealer was ready to give delivery within 10 days, but the period from 3Sep-18Sep, is not a good period.

Thanks to all the Tbhp members, esp frankmehta, shajufx, raamki. Their in-depth analysis of the Fiesta really helped me a lot… Thanks guys …

Now, the agonizing and never ending wait till 19 Sep !! Why does Aug have 31 days

Last edited by GTO : 4th September 2009 at 12:14. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares
Old 12th September 2009, 17:27   #38
BHPian

Pdi

Hi guys,

Finally did my PDI today. carried the TBHP PDI checklist along.

The dealership guy was a bit concerned as to why i want to see the car before registration but i insisted. he took me to their 'stockyard'. And i got a shocker - their stockyard is below the fly-over bridge in front of the DY Patil Stadium at Nerul

i was taken aback and asked them how they store their new cars here (there were 25-30 cars lying their - Fiestas + Ikons). he said that its not a problem. There were 2 security guards manning that area. But the place is not fully covered / fenced. So, anyone can sneek in from the sides - am esp concerned abt kids (living in slums nearby) who play around and could cause some scratches to the new cars. Fingers crosssed...

The car was very dusty (i expected it). But i followed the PDI routine. Got the VIN and chassis no. Checked the odo (it read 23kms, which is OK). Also, inspected the car from inside and found it ok. I found that the chrome on the outside was going along well with the looks of the car (except the ORVMS - i would prefer body colored ones). The interiors also seem plush and bright (one of the main reasons why i tilted toward 1.6Sxi instead of 1.6S)

After inspection, paid the dealer the balance amount (retained 10K, in case there are any issues at the time of delivery). He promised delivery on 19Sep

I came back home and de-coded the VIN. here's what i got

Manufacturer Identifier: MAJ
Body type: 3 Door Hatchback
Line: M
Assembly Plant: R
Model: Fiesta
Year: (some codes are used for more than one year)
Month: C
Production Sequence: 39384

I cant make out the month of the manufacture? Can the experts help

Also, i forgot to check with the dealer - is the Fiesta engine BS IV compliant (i understand this will be mandatory from April 2010)?

Didn't click any pictures, since the place wasnt worth it. Will save pictures for the delivery.

Thanks.. the countdown to 19Sep begins...
Old 12th September 2009, 22:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Manufacturer Identifier: MAJ
Body type: 3 Door Hatchback
Line: M
Assembly Plant: R
Model: Fiesta
Year: (some codes are used for more than one year)
Month: C
Production Sequence: 39384
hey ashish, congrats again!! very well penned down!!

about the VIN, am guessing 39384 are the last 5 digits? there should be a number and an alphabet preceeding the production sequence, like 9A or similar, let me know what you see.
Old 13th September 2009, 00:59   #40

I think, If the sequence is 9C, then the Month is September and Year is 2009.
Old 13th September 2009, 13:32   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
hey ashish, congrats again!! very well penned down!!

about the VIN, am guessing 39384 are the last 5 digits? there should be a number and an alphabet preceeding the production sequence, like 9A or similar, let me know what you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SriSri View Post
I think, If the sequence is 9C, then the Month is September and Year is 2009.
yes guys, the 2 digits before the number are '9C'. thanks !!
Old 13th September 2009, 13:38   #42
BHPian

Hi all,

Wanted some advice on the following:

- Ford has a Scheduled Service Plan (SSP), for 2 yrs and 3 yrs. The 2yr plan costs approx. 15K, while the 3yr one costs approx. 35K. Once this plan is taken, I will not have to incur any cost on the servicing of the car. Has anyone taken this plan? Is it worthwhile going for it (the dealer strongly recomends it). Can long-term owners throw more light on the servicing cost of the Petrol Fiesta - so as to figure out whether the prices are reasonable. I personally find the 3yr plan too expensive.

- The doors of the SXi premium are covered with beige fabric (and not leather), which tends to get dirty quickly (unlike leather). I remember driving a TD Sxi whose door fabrics were very dirty. Is there anyway i can cover the door fabric with some plastic (lamination type), so as to avoid the dirt. Can Sxi owners throw light

- Is the Fiesta Petrol Duratec engine BS IV compliant (i understand this will be mandatory from April 2010)?

Thanks
Old 13th September 2009, 14:32   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Wanted some advice on the following:

- Ford has a Scheduled Service Plan (SSP), for 2 yrs and 3 yrs. The 2yr plan costs approx. 15K, while the 3yr one costs approx. 35K. Once this plan is taken, I will not have to incur any cost on the servicing of the car. Has anyone taken this plan? Is it worthwhile going for it (the dealer strongly recomends it). Can long-term owners throw more light on the servicing cost of the Petrol Fiesta - so as to figure out whether the prices are reasonable. I personally find the 3yr plan too expensive.

- The doors of the SXi premium are covered with beige fabric (and not leather), which tends to get dirty quickly (unlike leather). I remember driving a TD Sxi whose door fabrics were very dirty. Is there anyway i can cover the door fabric with some plastic (lamination type), so as to avoid the dirt. Can Sxi owners throw light

- Is the Fiesta Petrol Duratec engine BS IV compliant (i understand this will be mandatory from April 2010)?
did some research on the SSP and here is what i found, it's something that ford has recently launched:

Ford - Newsroom

according to the website's news article, here is the list of plans:
  • 2Yr/40K kms
  • 3Yr/60K kms
  • 4Yr/80K kms
  • 5Yr/100K kms
that said, still puzzled why they are charging twice the price of the 2 year plan for the 3yr one!!

the interiors are definitely dirt prone on the zxi as well. my opinion, the only real way to maintain it is by cleaning it regularly. lamination may be an option but it may spoil the looks.

and again, as per the spec sheet for the new sxi on the ford website, the emission shows BS III compliant. so i am guessing, all vehicles manufactured after april 2010 should be BS IV compliant? anyway, i think you should'nt worry about this too much!!

Last edited by raamki : 13th September 2009 at 14:35.
Old 13th September 2009, 14:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,

After inspection, paid the dealer the balance amount (retained 10K, in case there are any issues at the time of delivery). He promised delivery on 19Sep
Ashish@ You paid all amount from your pocket or you gone for finance?
The reason why am asking is because if you gone for Loan then how come your bank made the payment even though you keeping part of the payment balance with you?
I understand this is wise decision to do that but as per my experience bank (in my case SBI) asked me to show receipts of payment as part of my contribution.

From my experience I can understand how much you are excited to bring her home

My wait time is longer than yours
Old 13th September 2009, 15:52   #45
BHPian

@ramki,

Reg SSP, same puzzles me as well. The 3 yr SSP is more than double the 2 yr SSP. Does Ford expect its cars to require major repairs after 2 yrs !!!

Reg interiors, i guess you are right. We got to clean the interiors regularly.

Reg BS IV, i guess i will check with the dealer. Will keep you posted

@ kumar, mine is a home finance (no bank finance). my dad financed me partly. hence i paid full amount, but retained 10K in case of any concerns at the time of delivery. i can imagine how agonising the wait can be...

Thanks

Most Viewed