Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 12:44   #256
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Then they should have shown a car with all accessories in their press ad. Without that one wouldn't know how good or ugly it looks.
They won't do that, its an underhand tactic to fleece unsuspecting consumers who have fallen in for the hype. I walked over the deal at 1st instance but many are ready to accept the deal.

Dealer supplied me a leaflet which shows all the accessories both separately & laden on the vehicle. I found the accessory laden vehicle really repulsive to look at.
Moreover, major chunk was chrome garnish & stuff, expected to fall off at 1st instance during offroading stint.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:19   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
There is a report on Fortuner launch in Pune Mirror today. In that report, it is mentioned that Toyota already has 2500 bookings for the SUV. Looks like they have hit the right spot regards to pricing.

Avenger
This damn thing is not worth a penny beyond 15 Lacs. If 2500 bookings are already there, God save them
Old 25th August 2009, 14:26   #258
Team-BHP Support

I have confirmed this from Ravindu Toyota.

The compulsory purchase of 1.5L worth of accessories is absolutely untrue. They are not forcing any of their customers to purchase accessories.

Even the financing is left upto the customer and does not necessarily have to be done from the dealer.

So far Ravindu has around 250 bookings and they have already delivered quite a few cars yesterday.

If anyone wants any other info, PM me and I will send across the Sr. Sales manager's number from Ravindu here in bangalore.

Also the onroad price in Bangalore is 22.18L.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:35   #259
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
There is a report on Fortuner launch in Pune Mirror today. In that report, it is mentioned that Toyota already has 2500 bookings for the SUV. Looks like they have hit the right spot regards to pricing.

Avenger
And I read somewhere that their monthly production is worth only 500 cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
If this is true (I know some dealers are insisting on selling accessories) and Toyota has not made it mandatory, then the best and quickest solution would be to write to Toyota immediately giving specifics. See what is Toyota saying about this.
Oh boy, Toyota will come down strongly on any dealer engaging in such tactics. They take dealership quality VERY seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I have confirmed this from Ravindu Toyota.

The compulsory purchase of 1.5L worth of accessories is absolutely untrue. They are not forcing any of their customers to purchase accessories.

Even the financing is left upto the customer and does not necessarily have to be done from the dealer.

So far Ravindu has around 250 bookings and they have already delivered quite a few cars yesterday.

If anyone wants any other info, PM me and I will send across the Sr. Sales manager's number from Ravindu here in bangalore.

Also the onroad price in Bangalore is 22.18L.
+1. I have confirmed with two Mumbai dealers & neither of them are making any "1.5 lakh" accessory mandatory. Its clearly the brainchild of one rogue dealer who is cashing in.

Have brought this to the notice of Toyota themselves.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:37   #260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
And I read somewhere that their monthly production is worth only 500 cars!
Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that the waiting period now stands at 8-9 months for the Fortuner.
Old 25th August 2009, 14:49   #261
BHPian

Ok i have seen the car, my friend had an interest in fortuner so he took me along.
The car has an imposing size, it looks very good, has nice huge 265 tires.

But interior is not so good, plastic quality is poor. Have a look at this pic, the quality of air flow adjuster and switch for the roof light is not so nice, but sorry for the poor quality of the pic.

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-001.jpg

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-002.jpg

And the middle row can only accomodate two people if you want comfort, because in the below pic, the arm rest when folded gives your back a rough feel as if you are siting on a bench , very uncomfortable.
First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-fortuner.jpg

The car is around 22 L on road, and waiting period was suggested 7 months!

P.S.: i haven't clicked the last pic, the last pic has been taken by google.

Last edited by Dante : 25th August 2009 at 14:51.
Old 25th August 2009, 15:16   #262
Senior - BHPian

7-8-9 months. That is a joke. Toyota what happened to your JIT concept.

The beast has some looks but interiors are grossly cheap looking. I never imagined Toyota putting the same plastics from Innova to the double priced 4tuner.

But the best part is that Altis will have a diesel soon
Old 25th August 2009, 15:29   #263
Senior - BHPian

I feel that putting the Innova interiors has gone a long way in Toyota getting out the Fortuner at the price they have. Parts sharing is the way here. Helps keep the costs low. I hope they come out with an AT version soon. If they price at at around 1.5 lakh above the manual would not be bad. It would give a fight to the Captiva AT and the Outlander which comes only in AT.
Old 25th August 2009, 18:02   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arun K Vaddi View Post
Thank You Ranc! Would it be a good buy at 13L compared to a new Fortuner at 20L? While looks do matter, I might actually prefer an inconspicuous vehicle as long as i know it can do what I want it to. I'm not a serious offroader. I travel a lot and would like to go down a bad road or path or whatever once in a way.
arun,

it depends on what you want from the vehicle. ..x-trail is a great vehicle with a cracker of an engine, which is very fuel efficient...it has very good and practical interiors..
You are right, you wont find too many of them on the road, which gives u an edge. ..spares cost will be on a higher side, but that is something common for all the vehicles in this range..

all this is from personal exp..
Old 25th August 2009, 18:19   #265
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Toyota will come down strongly on any dealer engaging in such tactics. They take dealership quality VERY seriously.
+1. I have confirmed with two Mumbai dealers & neither of them are making any "1.5 lakh" accessory mandatory. Its clearly the brainchild of one rogue dealer who is cashing in.
Have brought this to the notice of Toyota themselves.
Its good if that's the case elsewhere because I was in Amritsar for some piece of work so visited Castle Toyota there. It was there only that 1.5L accessories story was put forward.
Very nice that the issue has been brought to Toyota's notice, please put a word about Castle Toyota, Amritsar also if you can/possible. This will save many gullible customers.
Old 25th August 2009, 20:35   #266
BHPian

No word as such from Noida as well.
Old 25th August 2009, 21:00   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
After reading all the posts here I feel sticking to my Innova may be a good idea for now. At best I may plonk in the semi automatic which may sort my automatic requirement. An Innova owner I spoke to stated the semi auto workes like a charm.
What is a semi automatic? I usually hire someone to shift the gears.. and do the rest of the driving.
Old 25th August 2009, 21:04   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
What is a semi automatic? I usually hire someone to shift the gears.. and do the rest of the driving.
I think its the automatic clutch where you just need to change gears without using clutch.
Old 26th August 2009, 00:21   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the Fortuner today at Shinrai Toyota, and here are my observations:
- Huge rush, but was still well attended to. Was even offered water, and so was my driver, which is quite good given that some showrooms raise a hue and cry over who enters. This experience was much better than Maruti (Sai Service at Phoenix Mills, Mumbai) and Hyundai (HMP, Mumbai).
- The car looks great!
- Interiors, though better than the Innova, with a better feel (I saw an Innova GX variant too), are very similar in design and quality. I didnt like the high quality hard finish dash though. I would have preferred a softer finish.
- Space is actually quite decent in the front and middle row.
- Did i mention the car looked great?
- Price was quite good, at 21.87L OTR Mumbai, with a 3 year 1,00,000 km warranty. Accessories aren't mandatory. However, for a company registered car, it goes up to 23.42L, which is quite close to its CBU competitors.
- Was confused by one thing, how can they have an all time 4WD, and then provide a manual shifter as well? How does it work and is it harmful to the engine?

Now between this and the Innova, from the mind of a typical buyer, who will more likely than not have another car in addition to this, I found the Innova better VFM. I can get an Innova, do her up a bit and still have around 8L left over!
This car is good if someone wants an SUV! However, typical buyers such as me, who wont get the chance to go off roading all that much, and will use the car mainly for highway drives (Mumbai - Pune/Shirdi/Mahabaleshwar/Alibaug etc.), and for family trips + airport trips, the Innova VX D actually makes more sense.
However, the fortuner got to my heart in a way the Innova never can!
Old 26th August 2009, 02:03   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
However, the fortuner got to my heart in a way the Innova never can!
That’s the differentiating factor and thanks for highlighting it Lambo.

A lot of us are at the end comparing the Toyota siblings, unmindful of the fact that only some parts within the two are shared else they appeal to 2 entirely different market segments and that not limited to price only.

We would do good to be able to judge the Fortuner against competition as that’s the apple to apple.

Unlikely that anyone with a budget of an Innova would jump to a Fortuner. Also one who enters the showroom with his/her eyes set on the Fortuner will have a low probability of downgrade just because the interiors look similar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks