Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 07:45   #346
BHPian

If Endy can upgrade it's suspension and rev up it's interiors, it's still competent enough. It's 3.0 litre diesel mill is powerful anyway than Fortuner's.
Old 1st September 2009, 08:44   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
If Endy can upgrade it's suspension and rev up it's interiors, it's still competent enough. It's 3.0 litre diesel mill is powerful anyway than Fortuner's.
Correction there my friend.

Fortuner
Max power = 171PS
Max torque = 343 Nm

Endeavour
Max power = 156PS
Max torque = 380 Nm

You should probably say, that the Endy is more Torquier.

And also the Fortuner tagline says "The Art of Power" and not the Art of Torque
Old 1st September 2009, 09:18   #348
BHPian

Yeah, my bad; I mean in terms of torque which is exactly what I'm looking forward in a oil burner.

Last edited by 1-Testosterone : 1st September 2009 at 09:24.
Old 1st September 2009, 09:28   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Yeah, I mean in terms of torque which is exactly what I'm looking forward in a oil burner.
Oil burner? Well maybe, maybe not.
ARAI declares Fortuner's FE as 12.55 kmpl (displayed in the showrooms).
I dont know about the Endeavour's ARAI declared FE (coz the dealer doesnt bother to display it )

Reduce 2.5 if you wish for your daily usage, coz everyday is not off-road day.

Most of the buyers will probably never leave the tarmac with their vehicles.

As for those 4WD/off-road enthusiasts, I believe they are happy with their 4WD mahindras as well.
Old 1st September 2009, 12:41   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Correction there my friend.

Fortuner
Max power = 171PS
Max torque = 343 Nm

Endeavour
Max power = 156PS
Max torque = 380 Nm
For a 2 Ton SUV, torque is more important than bhp. This is why the Ford Endy does 0-100 about 3 to 4 seconds faster than the Fortuner.
Old 1st September 2009, 13:12   #351
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Wow imagine that, seems like a lesson for all the auto manufacturers to launch the right stuff at the right price and make everyone happy.
That's a million dollar statement, Quickdraw. I mean, here is a 20 lakh SUV that has run a 6 month wait period! Indians want VALUE. Whether its at 2 lakhs or 20.
Old 1st September 2009, 17:41   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
For a 2 Ton SUV, torque is more important than bhp. This is why the Ford Endy does 0-100 about 3 to 4 seconds faster than the Fortuner.
Very true actually.

But as I mentioned earlier also, for most customers who will end up using their vehicles more on-road in cities than off it (slow moving, traffic conditions 80% of the time), they would hardly ever miss that additional torque.

And given the fresh appeal, bells & whistles, better technology as compared to the Endy, there will definitely be a draw from people considering the Endy as well.
Old 1st September 2009, 18:07   #353
BHPian

Just my 2C.....
Around 30% people who're going to own Fortuner are from pseudo rural areas where I live and they do not remotely know what the power, engine and torque is - Seriously! They just take a look of the vehicle, it's tyre size, overall appeal, sit inside and feel the interiors and Big Toyota Badge - Thats it. The deal is done. For these guys, bigger is better. That's why Endy is so famous between rural folks here in Punjab. At the end, it all boils down to street presence and imposing stance - something that Toyota has achieved with Fortuner but I can't see Endy going down that easily like Honda CRV did. I heard many guys saying in the showroom that Fortuner is good enough but not good enough or brute like Endy from the front. To many people, Endy still looks more macho and imposing than Fortuner.
Old 1st September 2009, 18:09   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
+1 my friend.

If anyone has driven a endeavour they'll know how it jumps. Its very fast.
To attain quick accleration greater torque is needed.

I don't know why people are bashing endy here, by the body roll or suspension statement. Has anyone driven a fortuner yet? If people believe on what the television test drives say, then the car and bike show has said that fortuner has a body roll as well.
And about the interiors, i think Endys interior and plastic quality are a way better than fortuner's this i say because i've seen a fortuner.

Comparing even when we have no clue would be highly naive.

Lets not compare fortuner which we haven't driven yet with other SUVs and focus only on what the thread is about.

Last edited by Dante : 1st September 2009 at 18:13.
Old 1st September 2009, 19:43   #355
BANNED

@Testosterone, I agree with you, most of the people who cannot even spell Toyota right have booked the Fortuner even without seeing it in flesh leave alone TDing.
Frankly, most of its buyers are going to buy it for its looks/status, without even knowing its 4x4 capabilities.
Old 1st September 2009, 19:57   #356
Senior - BHPian

I did see a Fortuner on the road on Sunday, and it does look imposing. On my first view, as imposing and bulky as a Safari, and as threatening as that. Only my first view.
Old 1st September 2009, 20:24   #357
BHPian

Well, Dante, I beg to differ, I have driven both the Endeavour Thunder 3.0 & the Fortuner.

I didn't like the Endeavour one bit as it was big on the outside , not on the insides, the seats are very low on the floor, not that the Fortuner is eons better, but still much better than Endy. Plus, the ride & the turning circle of the Endy is pathetic, especially the ride on poor roads.

The one thing I didn't like about the Fortuner was its braking. I mean, I was doing about a 100kmph, suddenly a Santro decided to change lanes & I was getting a heart in the mouth kinda feeling, but may be my test vehicle was abused (had about 800+ kms on the odo), but still was scary, would've preferred rear disc brakes as well.

The plastic quality & interiors feel better in endy as the fortuner I was test driving already had a slightly rattling rear door on poor roads.

Also, the Fortuner is much noisier both on idle as well as while driving than the Endeavour 3.0.

I have booked it ,though I won't be doing any true off roading in it, just because of its Size , looks & the commanding feeling you get when you drive it on our roads & it feels safer as you are sitting much higher from other vehicles.

Which is in fact the main reason people buy SUV's all over the world & not just in INDIA.

Plus, its a Toyota, so should be reliable as my earlier Corolla.

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 1st September 2009 at 20:31.
Old 1st September 2009, 23:47   #358
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner do 0 -100 in 12.7 sec if endy does it in 2-3 sec less that would be 9.8 sec, that seems to be unlikly as that is Civic territory.

Endy is 13.89 to 16.10 secs 0-100.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 2nd September 2009 at 00:00.
Old 1st September 2009, 23:53   #359
Senior - BHPian

IIRC several reviews in mags/TV are talking about brake fade. Can any of the owners or those who have test driven Fortuner, coment on that ?
Old 2nd September 2009, 00:51   #360
BHPian

I had a TD of the Fortuner , felt it is priced well but pretty hyped.The exteriors may be impoing but is not that good,rear is ugly,interiors remind you cheap innova interiors not good quality all plasticky.Already rattles present in new vehicle,agree engine is powerful but turbo lag is present,brakes are very weak,its quite spacious,not many features present a compared to competetion even 20 year old Pajero has same features on offer.It doent feel strong or sturdy.

Even today if I were in the market for an SUV in the price segment I would still go for a Pajero SFX even though its 20 year old design it has got one on the most refined and turbo lag free engines ,agree its slow but does reach 120 easily and strugles after that,but I wouldnt dare to drive an SUV above 120 in India.

I felt that Capitiva is much better than Fortuner.Ford Endeavor cannot be called a SUV its just a pickup with a canopy.

Regardless of all this the Fortuner is going to sell well and leave the comptetion far behind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks