Old 19th August 2009, 16:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Wow, another first! Thanks for sharing
Old 19th August 2009, 16:17   #17
BHPian

Will be around 20lakhs ........... not less than that for sure
Old 19th August 2009, 16:48   #18
BHPian

Thanks for sharing Jyodeb. It was a quick update and now that I am sure you can reflect on your experience - Can you sepcify the security system(immobiliser) and remote setup ( rfid key etc.) Whether its present or not. I guess it has ABS as well. Do they have fifth wheel in alloys or steel? I guess it has 6 cd changer. Any more creature comfort items you recall.
Cruise control is surely not there anything else you found missing.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:01   #19

Wow! that was quick, thanks Jyodeb. I believe it is scheduled to be launched on the 24th. I have already booked mine, but delivery date is not finalised yet considering high number of booking. Its already a hit!!

I hope Pete's or other tuners would come out with an ECU remap soon to add a little grunt to the 3 Litre. Little more insight in the creature comforts available would be highly appreciated.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

the car looks great! thanks for the review!

Just wish the interiors were better :(

cheers
Old 19th August 2009, 17:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

CRV gonna get the biggest hit I guess. Captiva is available in diesel so can find buyers but for the CRV its difficult now. Vitara is anyways not selling well.
Old 19th August 2009, 18:03   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
CRV gonna get the biggest hit I guess. Captiva is available in diesel so can find buyers but for the CRV its difficult now. Vitara is anyways not selling well.
+1 to that but being a Toyota, fans will still buy it inspite of the high price and bland interiors.
The CRV and the Captiva will continue to sell nevertheless.
Old 19th August 2009, 18:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Awesome report.
I have been waiting for this car for quite a time now.
Will test drive soon and post my review also.

The interiors though are a turn off. Toyota could have done better.
I like the muscular look and does seem to be feature packed ( 4wd, parking sensors, 3 row a/c, xenons ( 3000k) , steering controls etc)

Hope toyota prices it properly.
Old 19th August 2009, 18:24   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quick one there.

Is the Odo PS'ed ? It looks weird to me
Old 19th August 2009, 18:26   #25
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

good review man!
but I am concerned by reported FE figures + likely OTR Price BLR
any further information on the Prices?
Old 19th August 2009, 18:28   #26
Shivashara

Its very big let down in interior, looks 90% same as Innova, which is at 11 lakh top model. I don't think 20 lakh can be justified.

Old 19th August 2009, 18:49   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivashara View Post
Its very big let down in interior, looks 90% same as Innova, which is at 11 lakh top model. I don't think 20 lakh can be justified.
+1.
I was hoping for a better interior in a 20 lac suv but its very smiliar ro innova top model.
But i really liked the solid like feeling the exterior is giving in the pics.

P.S- I think innova top model is 12lac+.
Old 19th August 2009, 18:58   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Jyoyeb, fantastic synopsis and a great scoop! Rated the thread 5 stars and added to the home page.

That 169 BHP engine has got to be impressive, if other Toyota diesels are anything to go by. What's the exact kerb weight of the Indian Fortuner? Should be about 1900 kgs (+/- based on equipment). That's a respectable 89 BHP / Ton (by SUV standards). The Fortuner is going to blow the Pajero, Captiva and CRV away. The only two significant downsides are the interiors (Innova like) and the lack of equipment (no power seats?!). Even the gearknob looks straight out of an Innova!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
1) Its BIG and impressive. A must have for sheer presence. Glass area is huge and wheels are massive.
Agreed. Interesting how SUVs that look medium size in other countries turn massive on our roads. After all, size is relative to whats around you.

Quote:
2) Innova owners will feel right at home since a lot of parts are shared.
Not a good thing. Your pictures show that the interiors aren't fitting of a 20 lakh car. This will be the single largest restriction of the Fortuner.

Quote:
The ride is very, very good and potholes are dismissed with a small downward movement.
Fantastic. Toyota must have tuned the suspension well for Indian driving conditions.

Quote:
During some hard driving the on board computer said that the mileage I was getting was 5KmPL, and the average efficiency indicated was 7.5 kmpl.
Once she has run in, I'd expect 8.5 - 9 kpl in cities like Bombay & Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatm3 View Post
I hope Pete's or other tuners would come out with an ECU remap soon to add a little grunt to the 3 Litre.
Doubtful. Petes sources their boxes from Europe, and thus are geared toward European cars. The Fortuner is an Asia-spec SUV.

@ Jyoyeb : No word on the handling? Body roll? How was the steering feel? And is the gearshift a long throw like in the Innova?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
+1 to that but being a Toyota, fans will still buy it inspite of the high price and bland interiors.
Of course they will! I respect Toyota & Honda more than even Mercedes Benz. And for good reason. Precise manufacturing techniques which lead to consistent quality, outstanding reliability, all rounded nature, low cost of ownership and fantastic resale. I was just in Kerala recently, and had rented out an Innova that had 1.5 lakh kms on the odo. Believe you me, if I had to cover the odo, you'd think that Innova has run 30,000 kms only, such was the way in which she had held up. It's not only in India that these brands enjoy a large fan club, the same pattern is witnessed worldwide!

Toyota India has recently overtaken Honda India in sales. The Fortuners 300 - 400 units a month will see Toyota extending that advantage. This SUV is crucial to their India plans, after all, except for the Qualis, Innova & Corolla, Toyota India really hasn't had a car that gave them consistent volumes.

Last edited by GTO : 19th August 2009 at 19:03.
Old 19th August 2009, 19:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

From internal news in TKM, fortuner will cost close to 22 lacs onroad. So it should be between 19 to 20 lacs ex showroom.
It looks huge - similar to prado.
Old 19th August 2009, 19:22   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Also Toyota is working full time to walk over Honda. Jan 2010 is the time for Corolla Altis Diesel. Finally its definitely coming.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks