Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 19:24   #31
BHPian

There we go again!! Now my plans for the Safari GX 4X4 are on hold again.. earlier they were on hold because of the finances, now when finances are looking up again fortuner has me drooling over it. God help me choose between the two..
Old 19th August 2009, 20:42   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post
There we go again!! Now my plans for the Safari GX 4X4 are on hold again.. earlier they were on hold because of the finances, now when finances are looking up again fortuner has me drooling over it. God help me choose between the two..
God has more important things on his mind. Your wallet or loan officer can make the choice. If you got 22 lakhs lying around your decision is a no brainer. Go for the Toyota. The S____ and Toyota cannot even be mentioned in the same sentence.
Old 19th August 2009, 21:41   #33
BHPian

Thanks for the awesome review, the flrtuner is said to get a refresh next year along with an auto box. The first Delivery in kerala will be to Superstar Mammooty on 24th
Old 19th August 2009, 22:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
A smart move was made with 3000K Xenons which give a yellowish light and hence safety from the cops.
The steering can be tilted but cannot be adjusted for reach.
Some more pics
Did you get a chance to drive it in Coimbatore (Anaamalais) or in Madurai? and HOW?

Anyhow - thats for the nice review and sharing the first good pictures!
Old 19th August 2009, 22:44   #35
Senior - BHPian

Rated five stars for this scoop. Preview in Bangalore is tomorrow. Can't wait to go and see it in person.
Old 19th August 2009, 23:31   #36

Preview of FORTUNER

Friends, On 16th August I got a preview of this splendid Fortuner! But I was disappointed when I found there was no 8-way adjustable driver seat! even it doesn't have one-touch power window switches. Third row leg room space is very less compared to the INNOVA. A 23 lakh(predicted on road price) car having a useless sound system where we cannot connect even an auxiliary input doesn't seem sensible, right?
ENGINE is nice and overall outer look is STUNNING!! First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-dsc04531.jpg

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-dsc04533.jpg

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-dsc04546.jpg

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-dsc04528.jpg

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-dsc04548.jpg

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-dsc04547.jpg

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-dsc04532.jpg

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-dsc04529.jpg
Old 20th August 2009, 00:31   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
+1 to that but being a Toyota, fans will still buy it inspite of the high price and bland interiors.
The CRV and the Captiva will continue to sell nevertheless.
Have you checked the CRV sales numbers lately ? It has practically stopped selling after the price hike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Bland interiors.
Centre passenger has limited head room.
Bland exterior.
No dual zone climate control.
No power seats.
Does not seem as feature packed as the Captiva.
jyobeb,

What features of Captiva are missing in Fortuner ?
Old 20th August 2009, 00:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the late reply to all questions.
Yes, it has the same security system as in the Innova with a transponder chip in the key.
Yes, the car has a reverse sensor setup.
Yes, it has an inbuilt 6cd changer.
The body roll was surprisingly low for a body on chassis vehicle and the ride was NOT bumpy.
I had to slow down rapidly from 140 when a bus moved into my lane, which the Fortuner did with the least amount of fuss and no tyre squeal. The brakes are top notch.
The shift lever had a throw similar to the Innova (long) and the whole lever shook when the engine was started. (Again like the Innova)
You will be surprised to see that the instument assembly is very similar to the innova except for a plastic shroud that gives the impression that the meters are all separate units.
Old 20th August 2009, 00:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Look at the little kid and the car.Fortuner looks gigantic.Sad to hear Toyota has skimped on features also.
Old 20th August 2009, 01:48   #40
BHPian

Jyobeb: You did what most of the BHPians had been eagerly awaiting for a long time. Thank you for sharing specifics and details on the Fortuner.

Interiors may not be regarded as a Forte for Toyota in India. None of their cars make you feel as special from the interiors as some of the competition does. I see the Captiva as the only vehicle that may be able to continue some sales rest can R.I.P
Old 20th August 2009, 05:51   #41
BHPian

This was quick man. Did you get chance to use it on 4X4 terrain. Looks very capable machine. This is gonna give a big run to CR-V and Captiva for their money.
Old 20th August 2009, 08:16   #42
BHPian

At least by charging in the tune of 20 lacs, they should have given us CAMRY like interiors (which inspite of being a CBU, costs just a couple of lacs over Fortuner).

I guess Captiva must be having better interiors then Fortuner. If somehow, Captiva were to be manufactured in India with pricing of approx/below 15 lacs, it would surely give Fortuner a run for it's money.
Old 20th August 2009, 08:25   #43
BHPian

The hype was built around the Fortuner and the expectations are high commensurate with the price tag and as the news flow in- gradually, I am not regreting my decision to not to book it as yet. And CRV, GV & Outlander though may be counted out due to petrol engine, at this price point, I feel Outlander is not a bad option in terms of features, fit and finish as compared to Fortuner. Yes the outer shell looks well finished, appealing and attractive enough.
It may be a good idea to wait till all the details on features and pricing are available before writing it off. Captiva looks and feels much smaller even as compared to a Scorpio though on spec sheet it is quite good.
Old 20th August 2009, 10:11   #44
BHPian

Thanks for the scoop jyobeb and nice review. i agree with you, the interiors are a let down.Hope they price it rightly unlike the camry.
Old 20th August 2009, 11:06   #45
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Nice scoop and review jyobeb ! I feel the interiors dont add up to the 20L figure (in pics), but i may be wrong. Anyways, it looks superb and built for a purpose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks