Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 11:13   #46
BHPian

In fact interiors are the only sore point in this package. I was hoping for a bit more upmarket interiors and goodies. As it stands now - it makes an upgrade from Innova a bit difficult as purely from practicality point of view Innova would perform 95% of what Fortuner can do most of the times (For folks like me that do not go for extreme off-roading etc.).

Over the two years I have found out that Innova is quite an amazing machine and can take a fare bit of abuse over all kinds of roads/no-roads. Have taken to my village in all kinds of weather and it fares reasonably well. So what to do with the Fortuner ... Scratching my head.
Old 20th August 2009, 11:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyansp View Post
Friends, On 16th August I got a preview of this splendid Fortuner! But I was disappointed when I found there was no 8-way adjustable driver seat! even it doesn't have one-touch power window switches. Third row leg room space is very less compared to the INNOVA. A 23 lakh(predicted on road price) car having a useless sound system where we cannot connect even an auxiliary input doesn't seem sensible, right?
ENGINE is nice and overall outer look is STUNNING!!
Hey you should have uploded few interiors pictures as well. From outside it looks stunning and huge as expected. Also that you have told what wasn't there but you haven't mentioned what was there. Better we wait for full feature list to come. Thanks for the pics they are first official Indian Fortuner pics here.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:15   #48
BHPian

Going for the review in bangalore will try and post some of my findings and views.
Old 20th August 2009, 12:30   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Hey you should have uploded few interiors pictures as well. From outside it looks stunning and huge as expected. Also that you have told what wasn't there but you haven't mentioned what was there. Better we wait for full feature list to come. Thanks for the pics they are first official Indian Fortuner pics here.
I should have taken the pictures of the interiors but actually I think, I was disappointed with them. Friends, I have already booked the Fortuner! What you have seen above are the pictures of the preview given to those who booked.
The interiors are almost same as Innova which I have been using for 3 years.
For a 23 lakh car, being a SUV, I think we can expect luxurious interiors which even the 20 lakh Captiva has.

My problem is that even though I am shifting from Innova to Fortuner, the interiors do not change. I expect them to be more comfortable than the Innova's.

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-16082009025.jpg

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-16082009026.jpg

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-dc123ewq.jpg

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-2009_toyota_fortuner_india.jpg

First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-gear-4wd-lever.jpg
Old 20th August 2009, 12:42   #50
BHPian

Great pic and first impression, Jyobeb. The interiors are a bit bland. In my opinion the larege expanses of beige make it worse. I wonder why manufacturers don't use a combination of coloors to make the interiors look more chic.
Old 20th August 2009, 13:01   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
Yes, it has the same security system as in the Innova with a transponder chip in the key.
Lots of part sharing with the Innova, starting with the platform itself! The way I see it, Toyota can probably price it at a slight premium over the Innova top-end and still make some money. But they know that the market will bite even at 20 lakhs and thus, will maximise profit from the Fortuner.

Quote:
Yes, the car has a reverse sensor setup.
Yes, it has an inbuilt 6cd changer.

Quote:
The body roll was surprisingly low for a body on chassis vehicle and the ride was NOT bumpy.
Quote:
I had to slow down rapidly from 140 when a bus moved into my lane, which the Fortuner did with the least amount of fuss and no tyre squeal. The brakes are top notch.

Quote:
The shift lever had a throw similar to the Innova (long) and the whole lever shook when the engine was started. (Again like the Innova)
You will be surprised to see that the instument assembly is very similar to the innova except for a plastic shroud that gives the impression that the meters are all separate units.
Bet this 3.0 engine & gearbox are overbored / modified versions of the Innova drivetrain.
Old 20th August 2009, 13:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

For a genuine offroader, I think the interiors are Good. Some may find it bland but remember for a 4x4 one needs the inside also to be easily cleanable etc. I would hate to spoil the interiors of a LC Amazon or a Range rover, but in this car would not mind people getting in with soiled shoes and wet clothes like in my Cherokee or a Mahindra Jeep or a Gypsy. So IMO the Interiors are very practical.
Lets just pray Toyota prices this SUV within 22 lacs[tall order] on road in Mumbai.
The 3.0litre is a standard engine on their vans in Europe, so Pete's will have something to boost.
Old 20th August 2009, 13:13   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyobeb View Post
The shift lever had a throw similar to the Innova (long) and the whole lever shook when the engine was started. (Again like the Innova)
You will be surprised to see that the instument assembly is very similar to the innova except for a plastic shroud that gives the impression that the meters are all separate units.
Ugghh...that's a big turn off especially the gear lever shaking on start up.

It was mentioned earlier that two versions will be launched, is this the top end one that you test drove? Is the second version a 4X2?
Old 20th August 2009, 13:22   #54
BHPian

Great job Jyobeb! Now I am just waiting for it to be launched & to be delivered to me in White! I know white isn't the best looking color on this vehicle but family prefers it.

Your driving impressions are really going to help me in re confirming my booking with Toyota.

The interiors are the same as on the Innova (as I had seen earlier), that is not so bad but familiarity does breed contempt.

Cheers to Team-bhp!
Old 20th August 2009, 13:28   #55
Senior - BHPian

Here are some rey reckoner details of the car:-
Toyota KD engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Toyota Fortuner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see that it shares the Hilux Surf chasis. Is it the same on the Innova?
Old 20th August 2009, 13:40   #56
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
For a genuine offroader, I think the interiors are Good. Some may find it bland but remember for a 4x4 one needs the inside also to be easily cleanable etc.
I wouldn't say the Fortuner is a pure offroader. Am sure it can manage 4 - 5 / 10 difficulty just fine, especially stuff like sand & slush. But not a hardcore offroader at all. You'd do well in avoiding rock climbing

Interesting discussion over on this thread.

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2009 at 13:47.
Old 20th August 2009, 13:47   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bet this 3.0 engine & gearbox are overbored / modified versions of the Innova drivetrain.
3.0 D4D engine is pretty much the 2.5 D4D with larger bore. I think a some of the parts are shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
see that it shares the Hilux Surf chasis. Is it the same on the Innova?
Hilux/Fortuner/Innova are based on the same platform developed specifically for Asian/African countries. These vehicles are typically not offered in the Western markets.
Old 20th August 2009, 14:13   #58
Senior - BHPian

just a question, does the price of 20L justifies what toyota offers on fortuner?
Old 20th August 2009, 14:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic first impression. The Fortuner has road presence for sure. The view from the rear looks very MPV type though. I am quite disppointed with the interiors. They look well finished but the new Fortuner deserved better I feel.

I am very keen to know your opinion on the handling of the car. If they price it well, Toyota has a winner on its hands already.

Thanks for sharing. You beat everyone to this.
Old 20th August 2009, 14:34   #60
BHPian

Nice Review. This vehicle will sell. Obviously. Like all other Toyota's. All around the world

Most Viewed