Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 14:37   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I wouldn't say the Fortuner is a pure offroader. Am sure it can manage 4 - 5 / 10 difficulty just fine, especially stuff like sand & slush. But not a hardcore offroader at all. You'd do well in avoiding rock climbing

Interesting discussion over on this thread.
Totally agree GTO. Only CJ, FJ, kinds are good for rock climbing. RR, LCs are good upto sand and slush, But thats what modern day SUVs are today. So maybe ATR would be a better term for the tough ones really.
Old 20th August 2009, 14:59   #62
Senior - BHPian

Nice preview! Though the pricing of 20L seems an overstatement for Fortuner. No doubt it has good head turning looks, but the interiors (though as stated to be of good quality) is a bit of a off putter. For 20L, I atleast wish some more features like Dual zone ACC, better center console and better music player be added. Moreover no telescopic adjustment steering wheel? That is even offered on the Altis.
Old 20th August 2009, 15:39   #63
BHPian

My learned friends here are questioning the pricing of Fortuner, but what they are missing is the basic principles based upon which a product is priced..
While determining the price, a manufacturer usually considers the following parameters -

1) USP of its product - Diesel, comfortable 7-seater, decent off-roading capability in case of Fortuner

2) Brand Image - Toyota is one of the top 5 reputed brands globally

3) Paying capacity of the consumers - with the way things have shaped up in Indian economy in last 10-15 years, needless to say there is no dearth of people willing to pay up for quality products

4) Competition - Think of it, what competition Fortuner has in its class? CR-V, Endy, Captiva, GV, Pajero?
CR-V being a wannabe/softroader running on petrol diet can not be considered a competition.
Endy with its bumpy ride won't be a fair competition.
Pajero being sold in India is an ancient model though very capable so far as off-roading is concerned.
GV, again runs on petrol..
Captiva - yes, this is some competition just because it runs on diesel but I am not sure I should be commenting on its off-roading capabilities (due to my lack of knowledge than anything else)
If CR-V can sell at 23 and others between 17-21, I am not sure why are my friends here complaining at Fortuner's alleged price of 18-20 lacs ex-showroom?

Do we really think any manufacturer is fool enough not to make hay while sun is still out there? Again, I repeat, no one is here making and selling cars for charity, had that been the case, they would have registered themselves under section 25 and not section 3 of the Companies Act, 1956!

Last edited by AlokSriva : 20th August 2009 at 15:43.
Old 20th August 2009, 16:06   #64
Senior - BHPian

Man that dash looks exactly the same as the new top-end Innova with climate control and multi-information display. So, essentially, what one is paying extra for is the 3-ltr heart and 4x4 system.

Last edited by StarScream : 20th August 2009 at 16:07.
Old 20th August 2009, 17:01   #65
BHPian

Good review...

At an OTR of around 18- 20, I think the Fortuner has the potential to blow a hole into Honda's CRV, if only people compare both products on the entire package and merits and not on "richness of appearence" (Yes...I've seen many a friend say they want a "rich look gaari"). Honda's been smart enough to recognize this and bullies Indian Car buyers with watered down versions and exhorbitant prices.

I've gotten a chance to drive the Fortuner in Thailand (Was a 3.0L D4D) and was mighty impressed with the smoothness and overall driveability. Most importantly, the overall feeling of durability was much higher.

Go Toyota...
Old 20th August 2009, 17:06   #66
BHPian

I went for a preview today. The space does looks tight in Fortuner compared to Innova which is roomier and somehow feels more cheerful. May be it is because of the raised floor and the low ceiling (including an AC duct in the middle that lowers it further).

I would say it gets a bit cozy in the fortuner and if I have to travel for long distances I would rather prefer an Innova. Even the last row feels to be a tight spot compared to the third row of Innova though they seem to share similar seat design.

But nothing beats it in the presence dept. Has loads of it when you see in metal !! I guess I'd sit on the fence for now ...
Old 20th August 2009, 17:08   #67
BHPian

What's the real use of Fortuner's intimidating size then? I thought it would better Innova in interior space and luxury department by a mile!
Old 20th August 2009, 19:04   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My view is that the Fortuners direct competitors, i.e Ford Endy and Mitsu Pajero 2.8 will take a real kick in the teeth. Softroaders like CRV etc are a different league. You will never get the ride quality and refinement of a soft roader like CRV in a body on frame SUV like the Fortuner. If you don't need to go offroad, need the third row seats and don't care about diesel, then there is no reason to pick the Fortuner over the CRV.
Old 20th August 2009, 19:12   #69
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle commands a lot of attention for sure. I am reminded of the Toyota Sienna in the US when I look at the rear of the Fortuner.
Old 20th August 2009, 20:23   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
What's the real use of Fortuner's intimidating size then? I thought it would better Innova in interior space and luxury department by a mile!
well interior space is not the reason i guess one would book this car. In my view you need fortuner when the requirements are:
- presence. Would be easy to get ROW on the road
- fair bit of off-roading
- power/performance

If space was the only criteria then Innova is much better IMHO.
Old 20th August 2009, 20:38   #71
Senior - BHPian

The real off roading types won't go for this though. Its those who need a regular car that can occasionally go off the beaten path who will.

As for the interiors, we need to call a spade just that; its not good enough. Having said that, there will be buyers who will accept it for what it is. Nothing wrong with the pricing from Toyota's point of view. Its probably just a bit of a disappointment for those who had their hearts set on this car. I'll bet though that most will still buy it for the overall package.
Old 20th August 2009, 20:39   #72
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
You will never get the ride quality and refinement of a soft roader like CRV in a body on frame SUV like the Fortuner. If you don't need to go offroad, need the third row seats and don't care about diesel, then there is no reason to pick the Fortuner over the CRV.
CRV's ride quality isn't great, I would have agreed if you would have said "handling" instead.
There's another reason for many to opt for Fortuner instead of CRV, "appearance/presence".
Old 20th August 2009, 20:57   #73
Senior - BHPian

I plan to buy a 7-seater car by early next year. I was waiting for the Fortuner. Reading the initial drive report and assuming a price of around 20 lakhs, Im not too enthused by this launch. Couple of things that one wanted from the Fortuner, compared with Innova, aren't there: A slick, short gearshift, equal mileage, possibly a 4x2 option and a reasonable premium over the Innova.

The Fortuner doesn't tick any of those boxes, for me. I don't need a 4x4. My primary objective is a 7-8 seater that can carry a family in comfort. To me, the Fortuner is just not worth the extra cash. I get everything that it has in the top-end Innova. The things that it has over the Innova, I don't need.

Everybody here is suggesting that Toyota will kill the competition and perhaps that is true but I think Toyota has missed a trick by not launching a 4x2 version at the same price point as the base Ford Endeavour.

Of course, in this country there is no dearth of money or early adopters:
Toyota Kirloskar gets 2100 bookings ahead of Fortuner launch - Corporate News - livemint.com
Old 20th August 2009, 21:19   #74
BANNED

4x4 option should have been a shift on to fly & not that archaic ugly looking thing protruding from the gear stalk.
Auto enthusiasts can make out the shortcoming & the escalated price of the Fortuner but the average junta is going to make a beeline for it starting a vicious cylce in which, I fear enthusiasts might also get sucked!
This is going to be the new sweetheart among the politicos & another drain on the common mans tax collections!
Old 20th August 2009, 22:10   #75
BHPian

As long as CRV, Captiva or even upcoming Santa Fe are not manufactured in India, Fortuner will continue to sell in good numbers. IMHO, Fortuner has no real competition yet. It will be interesting to see how Hyundai fares in India with their stunning new series of Diesel engines.

Most Viewed