Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2009, 22:57   #76
Senior - BHPian

I went and saw the Fortuner today. Like others have already shared, great road presence, loved the looks of 265 rubber on it.

It is irritating to see this gear shift in 22L car and so is the lack of power seat for driver. The comfort on the middle row isn't as good as Innova and same is the case for third row however third row on Fortuner is way better than that of Pajero and Endeavour.

I felt "head room" is not enough on all the rows even though I am only 5'10".

The sales guy mentioned that on-road price would be around 22. There will be a lower priced variant that will be introduced later (not sure about the ETA) and after some time, an AT as well.

I will wait for a TD and then make final decision.
Old 21st August 2009, 03:50   #77
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT SPAM the forum. One-liners that add absolutely no value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to visit our board rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2009 at 15:06.
fiery enzyme is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st August 2009, 07:18   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
4x4 option should have been a shift on to fly & not that archaic ugly looking thing protruding from the gear stalk.
The Fortuners 4x4 system is more advanced than a shift on the fly unit. It is a full-time 4WD unit with a center differential. Lever has nothing to do with shift on fly. Lever/Dash mounted switch is just to engage 4WD. Both can be used with shift on the fly systems. From an Aesthetic perspective, dash/center consol mounted switch with electrical transfer case is better, but from a durability and dependability standpoint the gear lever/mechanical transfer case is better, i.e Function over Form.
Old 21st August 2009, 07:31   #79
BHPian

The fortuner is no doubt a good S.U.V/softroader from toyota.But the outlander looks and feels much more modern IMHO.But lack of diesel option in outlander goes against it.I think currently fortuner makes lot of sense for people looking for a diesel SUV.I doubt whether this car can affect pajero sales because pajero is bought by pure O.T.R enthusiasts for a purpose.But Captiva sales are gonna be seriously effected.I feel that Fortuner can also potentially dent C.R.V sales because it increases options for people who need an SUV from either toyota or honda only(There is a market segment in India who prefers only toyota or honda cars)
Old 21st August 2009, 09:29   #80
BHPian

Beast

Its definitely a Beast ............which is beautiful..!

Hope they price it decently.
Old 21st August 2009, 10:41   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
My view is that the Fortuners direct competitors, i.e Ford Endy and Mitsu Pajero 2.8 will take a real kick in the teeth. Softroaders like CRV etc are a different league. You will never get the ride quality and refinement of a soft roader like CRV in a body on frame SUV like the Fortuner. If you don't need to go offroad, need the third row seats and don't care about diesel, then there is no reason to pick the Fortuner over the CRV.
I second that. But one thing that would work for Fortuner over CRV is its presence. And this does matter when it comes to the Indian buyer. How else would one account for decent sales of the old Endy which had nothing special and the worst interiors in a near 20L car.

Last edited by razrman : 21st August 2009 at 10:43.
Old 21st August 2009, 12:01   #82
BHPian

But seriously, I feel people fail to understand that end of the day the FORTUNER is made from the pick up. And is not a real SUV, don't know how many people would agree with me!
Old 21st August 2009, 12:59   #83
BANNED

Quote:
From an Aesthetic perspective, dash/center consol mounted switch with electrical transfer case is better, but from a durability and dependability standpoint the gear lever/mechanical transfer case is better, i.e Function over Form.
I was merely speaking on the aesthetics part, I find the 2nd protruding lever horrendous. Not sure on the durability part!
Old 21st August 2009, 14:42   #84
Senior - BHPian

I for one am surely wanting to compare the Fortuner with the VW TIGUAN, which should be launched about now, as also the Vitara Diesel Avtaar.

Most of them would be similarly priced. Though my guess is the Tiguan may be a tad more expensive to own & maintain. Waiting with lots of anticipation :-)

The Fortuner sure appears to be the Big Daddy here !!

Cheers
Old 21st August 2009, 15:00   #85
BHPian

Well, VW Tiguan would be in entirely different league as far as it's engine, interiors and equipment level goes.
Old 21st August 2009, 15:11   #86
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
if I have to travel for long distances I would rather prefer an Innova. Even the last row feels to be a tight spot compared to the third row of Innova
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
If space was the only criteria then Innova is much better IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
To me, the Fortuner is just not worth the extra cash. I get everything that it has in the top-end Innova.
Actually, you can apply that to Innova versus any 20 lakh SUV comparison. Especially the V model with its captain seats. The Innova is simply fantastic for long distance cruising.

Quote:
My view is that the Fortuners direct competitors, i.e Ford Endy and Mitsu Pajero 2.8 will take a real kick in the teeth.
Spot on! The Fortuner's direct competition, and the vehicles it should be compared to, are the Pajero & the Endeavour. If Jyoyeb's report is anything to go by, the Fortuner will annihilate the Ford (common, horrid ride, not a Toyota) and the Mitsu (interiors worse than an Innovas, lack of punch from the engine, not a Toyota).
Old 21st August 2009, 15:20   #87
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I've been to Nandi Toyota to have a seen k-peek of Fortuner as my cousin was interested in purchasing an SUV.

The stance & road presence is really good,but interiors were big let-down to many of people who visited there.There were no brochure available.The expected price is from 22L to 24L on-road B'lore.
They have given me a waiting period till Jan.Planning to pull some strings & get the vehicle before Oct or Nov.

A person who had booked the vehicle 2 months ago was planning to drop,as Innova is far better,in-spite of paying 10+ lacs more on fortuner.That was his perception when I spoke him.
Waiting for few more drop-outs.

Have taken few snaps during my visit,but the ones that are posted are far better than mine.Sorry abt the pics

Last edited by Ramsagar : 21st August 2009 at 15:25.
Old 21st August 2009, 20:04   #88
BHPian

Interior refresh will have to wait

From the discussion it does seem that Toyota is trying to maximize their returns using the IMV platform in Asean countries

The interior from the snapshots does look rich and is carried over from the Innova as most of you pointed out but Toyota probably wanted to milk the market before CRV CTDi is launched.

So things have to wait till this is launched

Regards

Sateesh
Old 21st August 2009, 21:43   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Toyota probably wanted to milk the market before CRV CTDi is launched.
Hope this will encourage Honda to get off their butt and launch the Diesel CRV. This will help them protect their territory and get some of the folks that buy a Captiva cause it is diesel.

Unfortunately for Ford and Mitsubishi there have no bullets in their gun. Ford will make a feeble attempt with the revised headlights on the new Ford Endy and maybe the automatic Ford Endy which may sell until the Fortuner Auto is launced. The only way these to models will survive is by undercutting the Fortuner in price by about 3 to 4 lakhs. Atleast Ford and Mitsu made hay when the sun was shining by selling dated platforms for about 20 lakhs. Now it is time to put these models to rest.
Old 22nd August 2009, 02:54   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

My hunch is that Toyota has had an early preview in all cities to get a feeler on the pricing. They have thrown expectations of the highest price ex showroom of 20 lakhs to customers during the preview to gauage their reactions. I hope they are following threads such as this to decide on a final price.
Clearly no one would regard the 20 lakh price to be VFM, plus with Ford planning to launch the facelifted Endy around the sametime, I hope Toyota has got enough feedback and reason to come up with a lower shocker price.
Let's hope my gyaan is true and we are in for a suprise

Most Viewed