Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2009, 23:51   #16
BHPian

Nice review there, Sidindica! Congratulations for a job well done! Btw, your 'undisclosed' dealer stood a little exposed, and disclosed in the first two photos itself! :P
Old 19th August 2009, 23:53   #17
Senior - BHPian

Verdict:
The Nano is truly a masterpiece of automotive engineering, highlighted by the fact that it has put India on the world map of automotive powerhouses, just as the Indica put in 1998. What tata set out to achieve, an affordable transportation for masses in safety, a fact highlighted that the nano has passed the recent European crash test at MIRA, UK with ease shows the level of commitment shown by the company and its engineers, led by Mr. Girish Wagh.

Now all Tata needs is support and continuous improvement to the product based on customer feedback, which is expected in a couple of years time. To make owning the nano a hassle free experience, the dealers will need to pull up their socks and provide quality and trust worthy after sales service, which will only help in strengthening the nano brand even further.

Moreover, it’s the infrastructure in our country has to be improved and not just blame the product alone for increased congestion that it can create in city streets.

After all, everyone has the tight to travel in safety and comfort and above all, in peace of mind. With the nano, there is simply no alternative. Yes, there are a number of used cars available but their reliability and long term durability could be questionable depending upon the condition. Besides, owning a new car is a refreshingly different experience, isn’t it?

Yes, the car may have some flaws, but the positives that have come out after driving this car for some time today have left an overwhelmingly positive impression.

This is a tata car that we can buy not only from our head, but also from the heart.

I am tempted to buy one in sunshine yellow, but sadly, not before 2011 at the earliest since I have not booked one.

But again, for people like me, can I have the nano Europa with unlimited customization please?

Over to you, Mr. Tata!
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano: full test and review-001.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-008.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-019.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-020.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-021.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-100.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-101.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-103.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-104.jpg  

Old 19th August 2009, 23:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
sidindica : 0-60 kmph takes about 9.2 seconds, 0-80 about 17 seconds and the top aped is about 105 kmph (estimate the 0-100 timing of about 32 odd seconds).
Feedback / input from someone who's been trained on this baby, and has tested it out : this one will do 120 kph with 4 adults on board. But production models have been limited to 105 kph.

Considering that this car is not meant for any kind of performance figures, let us not discuss timings.
Old 20th August 2009, 00:31   #19
BHPian

AWESMOME review Sid! How detailed. You should go work for BBC. great car! every review I hear all +ves about this car. Really engineering feat. Indian ingenuity at its best. Kudos! TATA! Too unfair, look at the Europa, all jazzy and classy. It should be available here atleast on order!

Last edited by rageshgr : 20th August 2009 at 00:32.
Old 20th August 2009, 06:26   #20
BHPian

Nice Review Sid.

How is the AC performence? and does the car struggle with the AC turned on?
Old 20th August 2009, 06:43   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic! there Sid.

Nice job, very detailed and loads of pics
Old 20th August 2009, 06:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Lovely little car. Meets the exact needs, for which I bought a Spark, and shares the same cute looks with it. In fact, the Spark is the closest car on Indian roads today to the Nano in many ways, including in spirit. And down to the center pod for the instruments! Very city friendly, very user friendly, and very easy on the eyes, are both cars.
The FE is a surprise, 14 in the city and 18 on the highways with the AC on seems too low - the Spark does that, with a 1 litre engine. I think that the Nano will return far better figures in real life, we will have to see what users find in real life. My guess would be close to 18 in the city with the AC on.
Pleasant surprise to read about the AC performing well too.
Old 20th August 2009, 07:18   #23
BHPian

Thats a very detailed and informative review. Thank you very much. Thought the wait for such a review would be unending.

Got a small doubt though- why do the steering wheel in these two pics appear different

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Interior Design: 7 /10
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Nano: full test and review-177201d1250704796ttatananofulltestreviewdsc00908.jpg  

Tata Nano: full test and review-177202d1250704796ttatananofulltestreviewdsc00942.jpg  

Old 20th August 2009, 07:32   #24
BHPian

Cannot expect anything less from you Sid. Appreciate the effort and time taken to put such a nice review and detailed pics.

The fit and finish and the quality seems so much like a regular car that you tend to forget that it retails at less than half the price or much less than that.

The mileage figures quoted by you though less may actually be true in the city. The diesel engine option will be far more economical for sure. Any news on that front.

The seating space available both at the front and the rear is such a revelation and full marks to Tata on that count for getting the basics so much right on this and so many other factors.

Overall I am quite happy and proud that someone at a higher position thinks and concieves products for the common man while he/she can conviniently choose to ignore with nobody pointing fingers. I am proud that he is an Indian.
Old 20th August 2009, 07:37   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
The mileage figures quoted by you though less may actually be true in the city.
If so, this will kill the car. I believe that what is deterring a lot of people from buying a car today is not capital cost, it is cost of ownership and driving. After all, one can get a decent second car today for the price of a new Nano. But running costs are not affordable, even with the Alto's 18-20 km
ltr. The Nano needs to significantly better that to be a people's car.
Old 20th August 2009, 08:06   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Why do people have expectation of one car meeting all needs? This is a city VFM car period. And from the review it is clear it does that superbly. It is not for long distance highway commutes or speeds.
Given that it meets expectations wonderfully we should be looking at each car for the segment it is designed for. Short drives and city type traffic does not allow for speeds but needs more flat torque and tall gearing.

Some comparison has crept in regarding safety record of M800 being held questionable. Is there any statistical data on this? Or just perception?
Old 20th August 2009, 08:21   #27
BHPian

Excellent review. People buying nano as their first car will definitely expect it to perform on highways too. A typical mindset. However that needs to be seen. 800 is decent enough on highways. Not talking about speeds in excess of 110 kmph. But throw in 4 adults and some luggage,its going to be interesting to see how both will perform. Pardon my ignorance if any. I haven't driven the nano yet.
Old 20th August 2009, 08:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
one can get a decent second car today for the price of a new Nano.
Sorry, I meant second hand!
Old 20th August 2009, 09:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neur0t0xin View Post

Got a small doubt though- why do the steering wheel in these two pics appear different
Nano base and CX models have 2 spoke steering, LX has 3 spoke steering wheel.
first pic is of the CX model whereas the second pic is that of the LX model.
Old 20th August 2009, 10:06   #30
BHPian

Excellent review Sid (as usual ), Well detailed and unbiased report. Probably a Nano V2 with upgraded looks and more goodies is in mind of Mr.Tata.

Whatever, i dont mind waiting till 2011 to book a Nano as my second car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks