Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2009, 16:35   #1
BHPian

Logan DLE 2100+ Ownership and experience

Hi there,

This is my first post ever. :-).

I initially owned a third hand maruti 800 1996 model. And i simply loved it. Then i got married and since decisions are to be made bilaterally now, it was time to let the "other" partner out of the house. So, with the heaviest of my heart, i exchanged the car.

Before shortlisting the car, as a good sensible man, i went through a week deceiding on which fuel type to buy. I had clocked 56000 kms on my maruti 800. When i had purchased it, it had done 22000 kms. I had it for roughly 5 years. So that was around 7000 kms a year. Now, i regularly drive to pune and used to share the drive with my close friend - who is also a member of this site. He had an indica turbo (with mags and all the other tamjham). Also, there were many days that i did not feel like driving the vehicle to office, so used to take the rickshaw. I had figured out that with an average of roughly 11 kms and my office being exactly 10 kms, a rickshaw cost me just 5 to 7 bucks more. Plus no parking hassles if i was a little late. :-).

So, finally, i racked up all the permutations and combinations and came up with a figure of roughly 1500 kms a month. And looking at this finalized a diesel version. AND THEN CAME VISTA. I cared two hoots about other cars. I was blinded by the VISTA and part of it was due the fact that i had driven the indica turbo on the expressway at speeds above 140 with cruising speed of 120 / 125. Whenever rarely i took the 800, the speed was down to 90 - 100 with cruising speed at 75 / 80. So the faster driving with the a/c always on was always a pleasure.

Now, my wife does not think it that way. She knows and loves a maruti 800 or a mercedes. Its actually quite funny. She kept on insisting she wanted a mercedes. I told her that it costs over 30 lakhs for one and probably had 30 thousand with me and i convinced her for a vista. I contacted Concorde motors for a test drive. The executive was very helpful and very well informed. I was impressed with the test drive and called for one alongwith my wife. She was impressed too – due to the brainwashing that I had done citing the various benefits of the car time and again.

The price was an issue as the lower model didn’t have the tachometer. So to haggle on the price and finalize the deal we went to the showroom. Shortening the story – my wife say the indigo cs, saw the price tags, and openly in front of the whole showroom (including the tea wala, sales manager, receptionists, loan wala and the executive) chided me with “You are an obvious fool to buy that small car when you can get a Mercedes for lesser than that price”. Ahhhhhha – the lights turn on and it is realized - what she meant by Mercedes was a Sedan.  And the truth is – SHE WAS RIGHT. This was echoed by Abhi – the indica guy.

I now went back to the drawing board. I had a budget of around 4.5 lakhs (after exchange of the old vehicle). Again worked on the finances and increased it to 5.5 lakhs (after exchange price).

Now the vehicles I short listed were
a) Dzire LDI
b) Ikon
c) Logan DLE

Now the prices that I mention below are inclusive of floor mats, mud flaps, teflon coat guaranteed for a year, and huper optic / lumar filming including the front wind shield (all six glasses.) I initially took the quotes with a factory fitted audio system and front power windows, but that was simply beyond my reach. So stuck to the first combination. The vehicle would be registered in Pune as all residence proofs have a Pune address.

All vehicles, lowest version. In Ikon, there is only version – the loaded one. Now came the turn of test drives and interaction with the executives. Every test drive was for around 10 – 20 odd kms. Nothing less.

a) Dzire LDI – Executive Name – Krishna Mishra. Dealer – Vittesse. Excellent person. Vehicle – Impressive. His knowledge about the engines and competition was excellent. His time schedule and promptness in responding was excellent too. Completely satisfied with the service that he provided. Took two test drives of the vehicle – one alone and one alongwith my wife.

Observations : I was very happy with the test drive. The vehicle was the top end model. Engines is very good and is very sporty. The car was ready to be delivered as there was stock available and that too in the silver colour (my wife’s firm choice. Get any Mercedes sedan – colour will be silver only – that was the ultimatum. And this was fine by me too. )

Then came the bomb, the lowest version does not have the power clutch and not tacho (oh no). Other small tick tacks also gone. I asked for a test drive of that version and they didn’t have that car.

The final quote for the vehicle after exchange of my Maruti 800 with mud flaps, floor mats and filming – 6,20,000.

b) Ikon : Executive Name :- Sanjay. Dealer : Wasan Motors. Excellent person. Lovely interaction. Geniune person. And since they also have a Tata Showroom alongside, had insight of the engines. The vehicle is good. Engine noise pretty evident, but a really sporty engine (new engine from the old fiesta). The dashboard curves on the front passenger side, give a feeling of extra room. Come in one model only, fully loaded with power windows all around and all the small knick knacks. I would recommend this car to any person.

After sales maintainence is higher. I compared the part prices of the three cars concerned and yes, the ikon has the highest prices - lowest margin being 10% to a whopping 90% high. And the prices concerned are regular parts such as a diesel filter and oil filters etc.

This car was unfortunately outrightly rejected because I am heavily built. (5ft 8 inches, 120 kgs and counting  ) and this vehicle seats really low. My knees were being blocked by the steering wheel and after the test drive, I could feel the strain on my feet. So this car is not for me or for people for my structure.

The final quote for the vehicle BEFORE exchange of my Maruti 800 with mud flaps, floor mats and filming – 6,20,000. Didn’t call the evaluator for the old vehicle.

c) Logan DLE :- Executive Name : Swati / Shaikh. Dealer : Global / NBS. Why the smile? If I say that the executive I was dealing with from Mahindra were the worst of the lot, it would be an understatement. A simple question like – at what RPM does the turbo kick in? would be responded with – “engine malai jaisa hai sir. Renault quality hai sir and Global is the most reputed Mahindra dealer with x amount of years experience” That basically sums up the answer to most of my questions asked. Other than that, time punctuality was maintained and I took one test drive with 5 people loaded in Pune too (Father, brother, myself and two people from Sahyadri Motors, Pune – very co-operative people and quite well informed, though not in the class of the maruti personnel.)

Observations : I didn’t get an actual test drive vehicle for Logan. In Mumbai as well as pune, I got a new vehicle for the test drive. Middle version with the front two power windows and a computerized information centre. The vehicle isn’t sporty as the other two – but definitely is more comfortable. With full load of five people, and mind you, my brother and father are quite well built, we could easily stuff in one more person.

The engine power quoted appears to be on the lower side. I would say, I found it to be more powerful as compared to the Ikon. It is not sporty as the other two, but having crossed thirty and becoming a manager sitting at the office warming my chair against the a/c blast, being sporty was lower on my list.

The seating was comfortable and apart from the power windows, I didn’t find anything that I didn’t want in the car. The metal on this car is definitely a grade higher than the other two. Plastics are comparable. Interiors – beige. Downside at my model choice – the steering wheel and console cap are black – rest is beige.

Now coming to the price – well it was quite some fun involved. You must have seen the name of Mr. Shaikh, an executive at NBS, the official show room of Mahindra at Girgaum Chowpatty. I have not met him. It was by sheer luck / chance that I came to know of him through one of our mutual friends who has purchased 21 vehicles from him. It helped as he quoted a price lower than what Global quoted me. This haggling of price brought the price of the vehicle down by a cool 10 grands.

Maybe in some other thread, I will elaborate more on why I brought the car. But, the fact is – I LIKED IT (boxy design et al) and EVERYBODY I LOVE ALSO LIKED IT.

The final quote for the vehicle after exchange of my Maruti 800 with mud flaps, floor mats and filming – 5,72,000. I feel that is a decent deal.
I am attaching the details of the deal as below. I got the car security system (in lieu of the cool 10,000 I had saved in the further bargaining). They fitted it with Nippon and it has a cool Logan written on it.

Date Particulars Sub Particulars Sub Tot Exp Tot Expenses
Logan Car Cost 665518
1st July 2009 Global Gallarie Car Invoice 581739
4th July 2009 United India Car Insurance 21308
14th July, 2009 RTO OTT Paid 41536
14th July, 2009 Temp Registration 300
14th July, 2009 Pune Octroi 11635
14th July, 2009 Pune Registration Chgs 3500
14th July, 2009 Nippon Car Security 5500

Discount - Car Exchange 35000
Dealer Discounts 53147

Total Car Paid 577371

25th of July, 2009 Audio System Pioneer HU with JBL Spks 9800

I took the delivery on 16th of July. The car has run 2100+ kms so far. So far I am quite satisfied with the car. There are some niggles here and there which I hope gets fixed in the first servicing which is now due.

I must mention the name of Mr. Rajan from Global. If anybody is interested in buying a Mahindra vehicle, I would recommend talking to this wonderful guy who would possibly go out of his way to help you out in the purchase. Trust me, he is not an executive. He sits way up the ladder in the hierarchy, but is very approachable none-the-same. Message or call me and I would gladly give you his contact number (or any of the other exec’s mentioned in the report).

How could I afford the system is material for another thread. I have driven the vehicle twice on the pune Mumbai highway and a visit to venkys balaji temple from pune. So the running is 60 city : 40 highway. The niggle that I have faced are
a)the vehicle veers to the left (hardly noticeable, but it becomes evident driving on the highway) – had pointed this out at the pdi and the next day they said that they had fixed it – but apparently it has been not.
b)The parking bulb went out the second day of the purchase. The technicians came to my office to fix it. Apparently the bulb had got loose in the holder. He dropped the bulb and could not find it. (the logan is the only car with an engine guard at the bottom. the replacement bulb he got was dim (reddish yellow) when switched on and I refused to have it put in my car. Finally settled with the bulb taken out from his vehicle. Works perfectly now.
c)The Nippon security system. Two problems. The back door was not getting unlocked. Some plastic part was not installed properly and broke off and second, the driver door side lock does not open with the keys. It has to be electronically opened. Still not completely fixed. The drivers door cant be opened with the key. However due to the technician coming from the authorized centre, realized a lot of features of the security system. Got the valet switch and the led bulb fixed on one of the fake switches on the dashboard. . Yay. No drilling, no nothing on the main dash.
d)The water jet is clogged. Was always clogged. God damn the pdi. . They did not even fill up the water in the water box. And it was raining outside.
e)Once about a couple of days back, I heard engine noise in the passenger compartment. YIKES. I had driven about 6 odd kms. With half clutch bumper to bumper traffic – 4 people in car. The temperature on the indicator was 4 notches (normal) but there was definitely sound coming from the engine when I parked the vehicle and waited for a few moments to switch it off. When I opened the bonnet to see what it was, it was missing there, but once inside, the sound was evident. It was like a muted rhythmic beating of the walls. I think it could be the fan spinning faster and becoming loose or the sound proofing material hitting against the car or something. But it definitely was there. It has reappeared once yesterday, but is normally missing. Will get it checked at the service centre.

When I took the delivery, it was raining, and it still is. Rajan recommended that the Teflon (I think its more like waxing) be done in the dry season. I agreed. And as far as the filming was concened, they didn’t have the film. WOW. He reasoned that its anyways better to get the filming done after the rains. The a/c in the car is superb. So I settled for the deal. So the vehicle still has to have the films and Teflon done.

I have driven the vehicle with 100% a/c on. (that’s why its there for –right?) and mostly driven with the full load of people. Always pick up a couple of people when I go to Pune (free of cost – mind you). Also went to balaji’s with 5 adults and a kid comfortably. Going back from office means pooling the vehicle with atleast 3 other people. So its normally a load of 3 – 4 people atleast. And I don’t have any discomfort driving the vehicle.

Whenever I was on the highway – speed maintained was around 100. RPM never raised beyond 2400 so far. After 200 kms took the vehicle to 130 kmph for 6 kms to see the stability of the vehicle. Result – mightily impressed. No sound whatsoever. Even today, no niggles or wiggles anywhere.

Coming to the punch time – Well here are the fuel consumption figures. As per the electronic system I still have 18 lts of diesel left. Avoided the premium diesel and have just fed her regular diesel. The following are the results. I will not look deep into these as the vehicle is brand new and not even been put through its paces. So you or the mods decided how to interpret the results. No comments from my side except that I am mightily satisfied.

Car MIS - Figures for car consumption

Amt- Ltr- Cum- Kms- Cum- Avg

180- 5- 5- 70- 14.00
375- 10- 15- 70- 150- 8.00
500- 13.91- 28.91- 150- 450- 21.57
375- 10- 38.91- 450- 550- 10.00
200- 5.45- 44.36- 550- 682- 24.22
1299- 36.17- 80.53- 682- 1383- 19.38
400- 11.2- 91.73- 1383- 1610- 20.27
1400- 39.2- 130.93- 1610- 2120- 13.01
0-0-130.93- 2120- 2120-16.19

MIS Data Results

Total Days 44
Total Amount Spent 4729.95
Total Diesel Consumed 130.93
Total Kms Run 2120

Average Kms / Day 48.18
Average Kms / Rs 0.45
Average Kms / Ltr so far 16.19 (with 18 ltrs still in the tank)
Average Rs / Day 107.50

I have loads to share. Will do that in some other post depending on the response I get here. I will also update the feel I get at the first service which should be somewhere round the corner. 5000+ report will definitely be there. Why I chose the logan and also the audio system etc. will also be there.

I have to still get the seat covers, Steering wheel cover, power windows and filming to be done. So once I get the moolah or a good deal from any of you out there, I will get it done and update you guys. Also will upload the snaps too.

Regards,
Nishant
Old 25th August 2009, 17:34   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishranishant View Post
Apparently the bulb had got loose in the holder. He dropped the bulb and could not find it. (the logan is the only car with an engine guard at the bottom. the replacement bulb he got was dim (reddish yellow) .

Fiat Uno also has engine guard at bottom.
Old 26th August 2009, 10:32   #3
BHPian

i meant of the three that i had shortlisted, logan is the only one with a bottom engine guard.
Old 26th August 2009, 11:53   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Logan's a pretty robust car. I've only felt that Mahindra-Renault's asking price for a cut-price sedan was too high...and the market seems to agree with my initial observations.

You've obviously solved the major glitch of the equation with a 6.1L price tag (without exchange). Though the dealer discount is substantial, has Mahindra price-corrected the Logan as well? I remember a 1+ lakh premium over a similarly equipped Indigo at the time of its launch.

Congrats on your newest acquisition. Drive safe!
Old 26th August 2009, 12:05   #5
BHPian

Congrats, The Logan is a lovely car, I have not driven the diesel, but have driven the 1.6 petrol and liked it, the AC of the Logan is one of the best I have come across. You seem to have gotten a good deal as well on the car. The Logan diesel is also famous for it's FE, all in all I think you have made a very good decision buying a Logan diesel.
Old 26th August 2009, 12:47   #6
BHPian

Well written, and it fills a need for more information on the Logan. Do keep writing and updating, make it as long-winded as you can, I'd like to know everything you experience on the car!

Last edited by filcord : 26th August 2009 at 12:49.
Old 26th August 2009, 12:58   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on you new ride Nishant. I have a Logan 1.5 dCi DLX and clocked 14k on the ODO. Other than the hard clutch and poor resale i just can't see anything wrong with the car. I regularly get 15.5 to 16kmpl with a/c in bumper to bumper traffic consistently. Remember to idle your car for a minute during start and stop. you can also read my thread for pointers / my experience.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-5dci-dlx.html

Cheers,
Anil
Old 26th August 2009, 12:59   #8
BHPian

Congrats on your vehicle purchase!
Huge post and nicely written.
I liked the "Amt- Ltr- Cum- Kms- Cum- Avg" analysis.
Logan is a good buy and has loads of power, its enjoyable to drive on highways as well.
Drive safe and take care.
Old 26th August 2009, 15:38   #9
BHPian

congratz nishant!

logan is a fabulous car to drive if you like the boxy rear.
iv travelled on the back seat of one for 380kms and it was wonderful ride.Roomy is an understatement fot a car of this proportions.
do post some pics maan to complete an interesting review.
Old 26th August 2009, 15:54   #10
BHPian

I just love the Logan. I have GLX 1.4 petrol version. I had purchased it in July 2008 in exchange for Accent GLS 2001 model by paying Rs. 3.0 lakhs. It has clocked 15,000 km till date. It has been a real and true VFM (Value For Money) purchase.
Old 26th August 2009, 16:10   #11
BHPian

Congrats Nishant. Logan is a good car with lots of space and comfort. Post some pics of your car please (interior and exterior). Diesel Logan is known for very good Fuel Efficiency.

Have fun, drive safe.
Old 27th August 2009, 12:16   #12
BHPian

i have an excel sheet with the various car records being updated regularly and the above figures that i have mentioned are copied from that excel sheet.

i am still new and learning this system of posting and replying - so am not able to update immediately. i am posting a few photographs of the new car. Will take a couple more and then post them. these also were just taken while we were going out for a picnic or something. Have still to take out the camera for profiling the car. :-)

the company gives a warranty for the colour, rusting and what nots. i really think that this is a value buy. and more-over, even though i think that the dealer should have more training for the staff, the guys there really co-operate well. Swati, Sachin, Rajan et. al. have been quite helpful. I have to still get the first service done, so hope that i have not spoken too early. :-).

Will update about my first service experience. And more pictures after that because the filming etc will also be done.

Regards
Nishant.
Attached Thumbnails
Logan DLE 2100+ Ownership and experience-dscn5003.jpg  

Logan DLE 2100+ Ownership and experience-dscn5004.jpg  

Logan DLE 2100+ Ownership and experience-dscn5005.jpg  

Logan DLE 2100+ Ownership and experience-dscn5046.jpg  

Logan DLE 2100+ Ownership and experience-dscn5047.jpg  

Old 27th August 2009, 12:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

The Logan is a capable performer but has not been successful for the following reasons ( my opinion).

1) Its reputation as the cheapest sedan in the world. ( In India Rs 6 lacs is a lot of money and people are image conscious. Nobody wants to spend Rs 6 lacs on a cut price sedan when Rs 4 lacs hatchbacks have better interiors).
2) Renault is not really a big name in india. Its country cousins like Peugeot also have negative connotations in the mind of the Indian customer.
3) Wrong pricing. People expected it be priced far lower than what Mahindra Renault have priced it at.
4) Mahindra is perceived yto be a manufacturer of Utilty /commercial Vehicles rather than a car manufacturer.
5) Outdated slab sided looks, pathetic door handles and plastic parts, . An Accent which is over a decade older looks better and pricier and has much better interiors.

It was not designed for the Indian market with the sensibilities of the Indian customer.

On the other hand, MSIL has delivered a marketing masterstroke by adding a boot to a Swift. A purpose built sedan has failed in front of "Hatch with a boot" as the manufacturer understands the psyche of the Indian customer much better.
Old 27th August 2009, 17:21   #14
BHPian

1) Its reputation as the cheapest sedan in the world. ( In India Rs 6 lacs is a lot of money and people are image conscious. Nobody wants to spend Rs 6 lacs on a cut price sedan when Rs 4 lacs hatchbacks have better interiors).

to be honest - i really dont think they are percieved as a cheap sedan. its just us in this community that knows that it was meant to be an economical offering to the european and russian markets. i have the diesel version. the petrol 1.6 lt version of the year 08 was offered to me for 4.25 lakhs. (pre haggling) with a factory fitted cng kit and warranty maintained was offered for 4.8 lakhs - i believe thats a steal.

If you go through the history properly, this car was designed by a industry leader hired from mercedes. the space utilization in this car is magnificiant. The diesel engine is a low rev activated turbo charged intercooled second generation common rail diesel engine. even on the comfort front, the suspensions are semi-independant and not the regular bar ones. you have to really be in this vehicle for some time to know the comfort level in this car.

2) Renault is not really a big name in india. Its country cousins like Peugeot also have negative connotations in the mind of the Indian customer.

i have not come across any person dissatisfied with his purchase of a diesel logan. its really like people who still swear by the erstwhile palio.

I have spoken to fleet owners (mumbai, pune delhi) even taxi owners (pune) and their drivers (pune, hyderabad, delhi, bangalore, chennai, chandigarh, kolkata, mumbai to name a few cities) of this vehicle. trust me, they vouch by the vehicle. Not one, and i repeat, not one was dissatisfied or complained about the diesel engine. I did hear complaints about the 1.6 petrol converted to cng having certain issues, but never about the diesel.

Even vehicles run more than 1.5 lakh kilometers return the performance they were designed for. (am hoping that my vehicle is one of them too. :-))

Look at it this way - I got a CRDE and that too a sedan which seats 5 comfortably for less than 6 lakhs. and thankfully its not a tata.

As regards the name renault - well, i think there are some corporate issues of theirs with Mahindra and hence it is not aggressively promoted by them. they are opening out a factory near chennai and also aligning for some projects with bajaj. so lets see what the future holds.

To be really honest, even me, who i believe is more read than an average indian, would not even think of putting renault and peugeot together as cousins. you are right on technical terms in calling them that, but putting them together would also mean aligning the same with ferrari, skoda etc etc.

3) Wrong pricing. People expected it be priced far lower than what Mahindra Renault have priced it at.

4) Mahindra is perceived yto be a manufacturer of Utilty /commercial Vehicles rather than a car manufacturer.

explains the build quality of the car. :-). but then they are concentrating more on that segment and want to be percieved as such. infact, logan is badged as a renault in the front and not mahindra like the scorpio or bolero. even at the back, the logo is renault. its only written in words as mahindra renault.

5) Outdated slab sided looks, pathetic door handles and plastic parts, . An Accent which is over a decade older looks better and pricier and has much better interiors.

to each his own on this front. as i said, me and all the loved ones of mine loved it. two hoots to the others opinion in this case.

It was not designed for the Indian market with the sensibilities of the Indian customer.

completely wrong here sir.

On the other hand, MSIL has delivered a marketing masterstroke by adding a boot to a Swift. A purpose built sedan has failed in front of "Hatch with a boot" as the manufacturer understands the psyche of the Indian customer much better.[/quote]

its a great car. however, since it has been upgraded from a hatch, the back wheels are under the seats. the rear seat passengers do feel the road bumps. i also found the insides to be crammed. and if the real indian psyche is to be seen, kindly see a jugaad in up bihar or the rayalseema belt or the chakadas of gujarat and rajasthan. :-). i dont see anybody manufacturing them on a large industrialised scale. maybe thats a very good idea for an indian psyche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Logan's a pretty robust car. I've only felt that Mahindra-Renault's asking price for a cut-price sedan was too high...and the market seems to agree with my initial observations.

You've obviously solved the major glitch of the equation with a 6.1L price tag (without exchange). Though the dealer discount is substantial, has Mahindra price-corrected the Logan as well? I remember a 1+ lakh premium over a similarly equipped Indigo at the time of its launch.

Congrats on your newest acquisition. Drive safe!
thanks. there was a company offered discount of 40 k's. i think the insurance discounts took care of another 11 k's. Also they evaluated my old chamcham a cool 35 k's. 25 + 10 as exchange bonus. Others were offering 20 K's (15 + 5) all inclusive. considering huper optik filming, teflon, mud flaps and floor mats thrown into the deal, it really changed the deal to this cars favour.

I can give you the number of Sachin. He looks after the mahindra corporate business, second from the top in the heirarchy and is a co-operative chap. He can arrange a deal if required.

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th August 2009 at 18:37. Reason: back to back posts, use multi quote please.
Old 27th August 2009, 19:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nishant, I liked your decision making from your mind. I also liked how you calculated the overall cost of ownership of the car (RS 107.50 per day). You are indeed a very "Indian" buyer I would agree with your assessment of Logan. I have traveled in a Logan several times. In-fact i have been hiring a Logan Taxi since last over 2-3 years in Mumbai and Bangalore. Never i have experienced a broken down taxi or felt any unwanted vibrations, etc. Taxi drivers wont like cars which are highly maintenance intensive. Logan suffers from only one image that of taxi. Other than that in my opinion it is a great performance and reliable car. In some other countries even Toyota Corolla is a taxi. What matters is that the car is within you budget, you can easily maintain, have peace of mind, liked by your near and dear ones, you enjoy driving everyday. Cheers, Enjoy the Logan, Drive safe.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks