Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2010, 14:09   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Centre power window failure & falling hinge are quality issues which should not have happened.
The power window never failed completely, it had its own share of mood swings and would work as and when it felt like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Take it easy .. I know you know it, but no harm saying it again - not to push it even this further
Aye I hear you, the roads were relatively empty with friday being a holiday. I only wanted to ensure that the old problem never cropped up.
Old 9th November 2010, 16:07   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

It's more about cornering stability than about people on the roads.

Was thinking about this a couple of days back : the vehicles we drive :

1. Much taller than cars.
2. CG is quite high - and that too with a higher weight sitting up there (as compared to a car).
3. No TCS / ABS.

4. and a wheel base that's as much as car - if not lesser.

5. And in my case - I'm driving around on a 2400mm w/b. Cars with half the weight have better w/b ..

5a. My Sumo's steering is so light - a flick of the st wheel is all it takes to turn the two-tonner.

I got to be careful !

Last edited by condor : 9th November 2010 at 16:12.
Old 26th January 2011, 13:19   #138
BANNED

re: Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 4th service done

@rjstyles- Its been a while! whats your scorp's status? And how about some interior pictures?
Old 26th January 2011, 21:29   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
@rjstyles- Its been a while! whats your scorp's status? And how about some interior pictures?
dmehta, havent been able to update this thread. Since the little one's arrival she has taken away a chunk of my time and I have no complaints .

The scorpio now has run 20,9xxkms and the fourth service is due at the 21k mark. Don't know if I would be able to leave it for service before I do another 350kms Bangalore-Mysore run.
However she has been running beautifully with a steady mileage of about 13.xx (100% AC) on the highway. I am sure I can pull off better figures, but the torque this thingy throws out is addictive.
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:03   #140
BANNED

There is one thing i wanted to ask you, what is the max speed you have driven it upto? Or the speed you think it can comfortably reach. My dad once tried 170kph in our scorp, but he said it wasn't as stable as he expected it to be. I never got a chance to drive it higher than a 130.
Whats your take on this?
PS - I hope your little one loves the scorpio as much as you do!
Old 2nd February 2011, 07:55   #141
BANNED

Quote:
There is one thing i wanted to ask you, what is the max speed you have driven it upto? Or the speed you think it can comfortably reach. My dad once tried 170kph in our scorp, but he said it wasn't as stable as he expected it to be. I never got a chance to drive it higher than a 130.
Whats your take on this?
I could probably answer your question. Driving a Scorpio till 130-140kmph is easy and there is a fair amount of control as well but I never exceed 110kmph since I keep in mind that it is an SUV and not a sedan and hence comes with a completely different set of dynamics.

Also, if your father was comparing its stability to that of a car or perhaps an imported SUV, it was bound to disappoint him.
Old 2nd February 2011, 08:19   #142
BHPian

Congratulations on your Scorp and also for completing one year. Loved those pictures taken in Vagamon. The IG Workshop is the one near Tata Xylis? I too had a good experience with them.
Old 2nd February 2011, 08:53   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whats your take on this?
PS - I hope your little one loves the scorpio as much as you do!
I think the speed is locked at 162kmph or so. I have pushed it as far a shade below the 160 mark. Ran out of road, however not recommended to drive at such speeds. At about 150 itself I could feel the vehicle sway so leave alone 170.

From the technical perspective devdath has answered your question below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Driving a Scorpio till 130-140kmph is easy and there is a fair amount of control as well but I never exceed 110kmph since I keep in mind that it is an SUV and not a sedan and hence comes with a completely different set of dynamics.
And the btw my little one is less than 5 months old, have driven her around in the Scorpio quite a few times. She is too tender to realize what on sweet earth is happening around while in a car .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Congratulations on your Scorp and also for completing one year. Loved those pictures taken in Vagamon. The IG Workshop is the one near Tata Xylis? I too had a good experience with them.
Thanks avi.TATA Xylis, are you talking about IG which is right after VST,? You take a left when coming from KR Puram after VST Tractors and Tillers and its down the road.
Old 9th February 2011, 12:58   #144
Senior - BHPian

I have been driving my new Scorpio - graduated from Faithful Fiesta - for last four months and have logged in 11K KMs so far. I find the speed of 130-140 on a good strectch of road is very safe and comfortable for cruising. Otherwise 120-130 is good. I haven't seen any reason to go beyond these speeds on our highways.

I have driven extensively in the last four months in Malnad area in Karnataka and i could do good speeds on the curves as well without much problem.
Old 9th February 2011, 13:11   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
At about 150 itself I could feel the vehicle sway so leave alone 170.
Vijay-avare,

Lets do a shoot (including panning) of your Scorp this weekend- at somewhat lesser speeds than that, if you may !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
.. and comfortable for cruising.
I'll personally vouch for that. I was mightily impressed with the current generation Scorpio's capability of refined and relaxed highway cruising in Vijay's Scorpio above, during our trip to Vagamon. When we stepped out after 6 hours of driving, it felt as if we'd never started!
Old 9th February 2011, 13:22   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
I have been driving my new Scorpio - graduated from Faithful Fiesta - for last four months and have logged in 11K KMs so far. I find the speed of 130-140 on a good strectch of road is very safe and comfortable for cruising. Otherwise 120-130 is good. I haven't seen any reason to go beyond these speeds on our highways.

I have driven extensively in the last four months in Malnad area in Karnataka and i could do good speeds on the curves as well without much problem.
The Scorp' is best when you are cruising at about 130kmph. Brilliant feel and stays rock solid unless you want to try and take a tight corner at that speed.
Pushing it occasionally is something that I try when there is less traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Vijay-avare,

Lets do a shoot (including panning) of your Scorp this weekend- at somewhat lesser speeds than that, if you may !
Will call you to fix up something for the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post

I'll personally vouch for that. I was mightily impressed with the current generation Scorpio's capability of refined and relaxed highway cruising in Vijay's Scorpio above, during our trip to Vagamon. When we stepped out after 6 hours of driving, it felt as if we'd never started!
That was one helluva drive we did in the Scorp'.
Old 28th April 2011, 17:40   #147
Senior - BHPian

The 4th service happened a tad bit late at 22k kms. My daughter has been taking away too much of my time and every weekend am in Mysore.The 4th service was a paid one and there were a few niggles which needed to be addressed.

The regular SA that I was interacting with , decided to call it quits with India Garage and I had to settle with who was available to attend to my car. The service works manager also was out of station on that day. I had no choice but to get the car serviced since it was already 18xx kms above the service schedule.

Called India Garage, Whitefield in the morning to check for a slot and was informed that it was readily available. Reached IG by 11am and found that they hardly had any cars for servicing.
Got a job card made and left the place by 11:50am after specifically informing the SA about the issues. I was informed that he car will be ready by 6pm.

I said take your time coz am in office till 9pm and that I could wait. I dint have a choice coz I just got back from an overseas trip the previous day and the next morning I had to leave to Mysore no matter.

The list of works to be attended to last week when I dropped the car was
  1. Engine Oil Change.
  2. Gear lever shudder when in slow moving traffic.
  3. The Center Right side door power window.
  4. Broken clamp in the last row bench seats.
  5. Clutch pedal making a noise when pressed.
  6. Blown tail lamp bulb.
I leave 6 liters of Shell Engine Oil also with them.My priority was to get the car serviced and delivered whatever time of the day it was.

All said and done I get the car back as promised at 7pm. The bill break up is as below
  • Rubber Stopper = 7.00
  • Tail Lamp Bulb = 12.44
  • Oil Filter Element = 132.38
  • Fuel Filter = 1425.53
  • Washing = 450
  • General Paid Service = 2700.00
  • Engine Flushing = 682.00
  • Fabrication Work = 120.00
==================================
Final Bill + Taxes = 6150/-
==================================

I test drove the car and all was well. Couldn't check the fluid levels though since it was dark . Power window motor changed as per SA under warranty(this piece of junk worked flawlessly for the next 2 days).

Left the service center and drove back home, some how the scorp' just never felt right to me.Well I must have been hallucinating coz its been over 5 weeks since I have driven the Scorp'. I get back home and crash for the night.
Next morning I drive to Mysore and the clutch pedal still squeaks. The blokes at IG forgot to fix this irritating squeak. Check the interiors in the morning and they ain't clean to my satisfaction. Fluids have been topped up though.

Drive 2 in Mysore and I am driving in slow moving traffic and the gear level still shudders coupled with squeaky noise from the clutch pedal. I am a little mad already and that's when I realize that the power window of the right center door also has decided to go on a long walk . (God knows if they even replaced this unit under warranty). I am at the end of my wits now.

I wanna callback India Garage and give them my mouth full of crap, but sense prevails and I dint want to spoil the time I am having with the little one.

4 days later I get a call from M&M customer care and I tell them upfront that this is the shoddiest of works done and am absolutely unhappy. Inform her of all the pending problems and the lady on the phone promises me that she will get some one from India Garage to call me back to address my problems.

3 days gone by and I callback M&M customer care yesterday asking for an update. The lady who answers the phone says I will get a call by 11am. Apparently their clocks decided to skip to 11:01am from 10:59 am and that promised 11:00am never came by.

As of now nothing has changed and I am yet to receive a call from M&M or India Garage on how these pending problems are gonna be addressed. Well am a sucker when it comes to keeping my car in the best of shape.

Have a docket number for the complaint I raised with M&M customer care. Will wait till tomorrow and call them again. For now one of the worst experiences that I have had dealing with M&M and India Garage.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 28th April 2011 at 17:43.
Old 28th April 2011, 18:03   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  1. Gear lever shudder when in slow moving traffic.
Any idea what was done to address this issue? What condition in traffic (RPM / gear) does this occur?

Spike
Old 28th April 2011, 19:07   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Any idea what was done to address this issue? What condition in traffic (RPM / gear) does this occur?Spike
Spikey read below

Quote:
Drive 2 in Mysore and I am driving in slow moving traffic and the gear lever still shudders coupled with squeaky noise from the clutch pedal.
Hasn't been fixed and I can still experience it. Reproducing this at will is quite impossible and after the service I have driven close to a few hundred clicks .Problem seen only thrice post service.

This usually happens when driving at rpms less than 2000 and when I depress the clutch fully to change to 1st gear from the 2nd. The gear lever shudders violently till I let go off the clutch. Once I let go off the clutch and try slotting it , works well for the 2nd time.

edit : Icing on the cake from India Garage. I get a call from them inviting me for a party on Saturday for their esteemed and valuable customers. I gave them a piece of my mind .

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 28th April 2011 at 19:13.
Old 10th May 2011, 19:09   #150
Senior - BHPian

re: Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done

Finally a 2nd visit(post 4th service), one email and a call to M&M my scorp' is back on road and touch wood the gear lever shudder hasn't surfaced. have driven around for a few 100 kms and the clutch feels fresh and butter smooth. M&M was quick to respond after I shot an email describing the problem , they got India Garage on their toes.

Received a prompt call from the Assistant Manager Service , IG Group and was asked to drop off the scorp at India Garage. I was dealing with Sham Prasad from India garage and explained the problem , which he very well understood.

The 1st thing they looked up was the clutch and this ended up being the culprit. As per the service schedule the clutch pedal needs to be greased during every service and there clearly was a lax on the part of the service center.
During the 4th service I had clearly that the clutch was making a squealing noise and also told the SA that the squealing sound needs to be looked into no matter what.

If the clutch does squeal then its caused by a bad pilot bearing or bushing.In my case it was the bushing.

A little bit of research helped I knew this was the exact problem that I was facing. I quite dint know if this squealing was contributing to the gear lever shudder too.
Quote:
If a squealing sound is produced when the pedal is released, meaning that the clutch is fully disengaged, the problem can likely be traced to a worn or insufficiently lubricated pilot bushing. If the pilot bushing appears to be in good condition, meaning that its surface does not appear gouged, lightly polish the bushing with an emery cloth, then lubricate the bushing with oil and apply chassis grease to the clutch shaft pilot hub. If the bushing is damaged but lubricated, it must be replaced. However, a bushing which is damaged but does not lack lubrication is most often caused by the misalignment of the clutch housing.
Sham Prasad owned up and agreed that there was a lax on their end.
I would prefer dealing with such people at a service center than someone serving bull crap about your driving style yaada yaada.

I had to leave the car for a day take a test drive and only when I gave the go ahead did they wash the Scorp and return it to me.
The list is as below for the replaced parts.

Clutch Driven Plate
Clutch Cover Assembly
Concentric Slave Cylinder

Have been driving around the scorp' now for the last few days and no issues what so ever. Sham Prasad and M&M were kind enough to follow up on the status and if I had any problems. Luckily none have come up and am happy .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed