Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2009, 19:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done

Finally I managed to find time,get off my lazy rear and write my initial ownership report. As the title says , its the Scorp' Mhawk that won my heart.

As most of you know I had sold my baleno at 38k clicks(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-fast-car.html) and was looking for a diesel SUV. My budget was 10 lakhs which in today's world is pretty less for a SUV in India with all the bells and whistles(ABS and Airbags et all).

Was pretty sure of what I wanted and ABS was top in the list. Having driven a sedan for over 3 years which never had ABS was a matter of concern for me. Way back in 2006 when I picked up the baleno there were hardly any sedans under the 7 lakh price tag with ABS (correct me if I am wrong).

My options for now were

1 - Dicor
2 - MHawk

With only 2 of these which would fit my budget, I test drove both extensively. With so many horror stories floating around about the Dicor I decided against it. I love the Dicor for its looks , however reliability was a matter of concern for me.
My better half was keen on the Mhawk from day one itself and eventually I too gave in for the Scorp. We booked the MHawk SLE , 7 seater with ABS which is a standard fitment with the refresh model.

Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done-dsc_3092-large.jpg

Dealership and buying experience

The vehicle was booked at India Garage, St.Marks Road. The owner Mr.Vijendra is a close family friend of ours and every thing went really smooth from the booking to the delivery of the vehicle. Special care and interest was taken from the dealership's owner itself to ensure I got what I wanted.

I personally carried out the PDI when the vehicle was loaded off the truck. Blessing in disguise, I reached the yard 20 mins before the arrival of the truck. Hence got to do the PDI myself and informed the sales rep. Made a note of the chassis and the engine number and left the place.

Loan

Applied for a loan of 5 lakhs with SBH and loan was dispersed at 8% ROI for the first 14 months and from the 15th month at 9%. Got a free savings accounts with the bank. I had to wait for 10 days and I was very much mentally prepared for it. I had already digested the fact that the bank would take its own sweet time, so waited patiently.

Everything went really smooth and the vehicle was delivered on the promised date. Its been 3 weeks now and I have found time only now to post this report.

Having moved from a sedan to a SUV has its own drawbacks. I already managed to put it on 2 wheels twice . Tried to corner like I used to with the baleno and I could feel the left side loose traction. No panic braking nothing, kept a cool mind and bought her back to the road.

I am yet to get used to the high driving stance, the notchy and lousie gear shift, the clutch and the massiveness of the vehicle itself.
Every other time I find myself scrambling around for the power window switches.Would have loved to have them on the driver side door.
Need to digest the fact that I am driving a SUV and cannot swerve or take corners like I used to with a sedan.
The NVH levels are a bit too high for likes.
The interiors are too bland for my taste. Beige and tan is not what I would like to have for interiors in my car, but then I cant complain since I have no other options.

Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done-dsc_3124-large.jpg

Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done-dsc_3121-large.jpg

Accessories for now

1 - Nudge Bar/Bull Bar
2 - hella Rally Eye 3003 ( sourced from Satya - blueraven316)
3 - Hella Black Grill horns( these are pretty loud)
4 - ICE
  • - KDC-BT7043U
  • - Boston Acoustics sxi 606 Front Door components
  • - Rear Door eFX 6 x9
  • - 2 Amps from my older car ( eFX and Volfenhag)
  • - RCA cables from Stinger
  • - Power cables from Sound Quest
  • - Distribution Block from eFX.

Pending
  • - eFX components for the center doors
  • - Subwoofer.
If time permits I will get this done this weekend at Satya's place.

5 - 3M Tints from the dealership
6 - The Scorp' came with Bridgestone Duelers from the dealership.

I am yet to get the seat covers and the alloys. Currently from the looks of it I would have to keep the alloys at bay for about 2/3 months. I am all broke now and if anyone is into charity please PM me.

The vehicle has clocked 800 odd kms and I have already done one trip to my in-laws farm at that banks of Kabini near HDKote.My 1st lesson at off-roading began here with the vehicle going all over the place in slush en-route the farm. She never got stuck and I managed to get her back on the pathway to the farm.

As of now she has returned a mileage of 11kms / ltr with both city and highway driving. The torque is addictive and I am grinning from teeth to teeth.

Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done-dsc_3093-large.jpg

Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done-dsc_3099-large.jpg

Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done-dsc_3102-large.jpg

Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done-dsc_3104-large.jpg

Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done-dsc_3177-large.jpg

Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done-dsc_3178-large.jpg

Disclaimer : All pictures have been taken at my in-laws farm on the banks of Kabini in HDkote. I am still coping up with the fact that I have to learn to shoot a white colored vehicle.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 26th August 2009 at 19:26.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2009, 19:31   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Congrats Riju! So all set to join the off roading club eh ?
Old 26th August 2009, 19:36   #3
BHPian

Congrats Riju.

Are the type of claddings different in sle and vlx?
Old 26th August 2009, 19:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Riju,

Car looks good.Color(White) the matters.
What is the onroad cost and what are the missing features compare to SLX.
Enjoy and Drive Safe
Old 26th August 2009, 19:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yeyyy, I was waiting for this writeup. Congrats again dude. Would love to see the car sometime soon. Be careful about the transition, now you are driving a high CG vehicle ;-)

Last edited by kaushik_s : 26th August 2009 at 19:40.
Old 26th August 2009, 19:40   #6
BHPian

Congrats rjstyles69 on your Hawk . Its looking a stunner with those bull bar and Hella rally. Be careful on the curves and Happy driving .
Old 26th August 2009, 19:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Riju! You will get used to the SUV driving types. Try to keep all 4 wheels down for the time being . Drive safe. Congrats again.
Old 26th August 2009, 19:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

No 4x4? Now it is available in mHawk, isn't it?

Congrats Riju, shooting white can't be too different than shooting silver. I needed major adjustment from black to white.
Old 26th August 2009, 19:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

What took you so long? Anyways, congrats once again. Have you decided about the black pillars?

Somebody's home : Voila its the MHawk " 5th service done-dsc_3124-large-copy.jpg
Old 26th August 2009, 20:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Whoah!! Congrats Riju, an ol' birdie had told me about this, but it does look stunning. Great choice of colour and accessories to boot.
Wishing you a pleasant and happy ownership experience.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

congrats Rhiju. wish you 1L miles with the MHawk.

why not the OEM alloys?
Old 26th August 2009, 20:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Congrats Riju! So all set to join the off roading club eh ?
Well what kinda off-roading with a 4x2 mate ? However serves me good for my visit to my hometown and my inlaws farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
Are the type of claddings different in sle and vlx?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Congrats Riju,
What is the onroad cost and what are the missing features compare to SLX.
Enjoy and Drive Safe
I am not sure if the cladding are different, the only difference is as mentioned below

SLE
M-HAWK ENGINE
ABS
NEW ERGONOMIC SEATS
NEW TAN & BEIGE UPHOLSTERY
POWERED ORVMS
DIGITAL IMMOBILISER.

VLX

2-DIN AUDIO SYSTEM
NEW ERGONOMIC SEATS
POWERED ORVMS
DIGITAL IMMOBILISER
MICROHYBRID TECHNOLOGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Be careful about the transition, now you are driving a high CG vehicle ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Its looking a stunner with those bull bar and Hella rally. Be careful on the curves and Happy driving .
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Congrats Riju! You will get used to the SUV driving types. Try to keep all 4 wheels down for the time being . Drive safe. Congrats again.
Thanks chaps, aah I need to get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
No 4x4? Now it is available in mHawk, isn't it?

Congrats Riju, shooting white can't be too different than shooting silver. I needed major adjustment from black to white.
Should be available Sharath , I never inquired about it. I would quite require to polish my photography skills since I have been outta action for over 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
What took you so long? Anyways, congrats once again. Have you decided about the black pillars?

Attachment 180619
Thanks pal, wifey was against it. She thinks it looks cool this ways and I couldn't change her mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Whoah!! Congrats Riju, an ol' birdie had told me about this, but it does look stunning. Great choice of colour and accessories to boot.
Wishing you a pleasant and happy ownership experience.
Thanks hari, apparently I called our good ole birdie while he was preparing to take pics of your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
congrats Rhiju. wish you 1L miles with the MHawk.

why not the OEM alloys?
Thanks mate, I got a good offer on the OE alloys and wasn't interested. They looked bland to my eyes and I have something from
Lenso and HR on me mind. Only problem is that my savings account is almost nil :( .

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 26th August 2009 at 20:34.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:28   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats, Riju.

White was what I was expecting (though I had thrown a 'black' teaser somewhere else. The SUV feel & that torque she's got is going to keep you hooked.

You'll need to control those cornering speeds - 60 is about the upper limit for even a decent turn/curve.

The B-pillars - blacken them, and see the transformation.

Guess the trip starts now ..

Last edited by condor : 26th August 2009 at 20:31.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:33   #14
BHPian

Congratulation on the buy
I am die hard fan of Dicor but still like this one from M&M. One thing, which is in favour of M&M vechicles that they sell like hot cakes in second hand market.
Old 26th August 2009, 20:38   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Riju! It looks fantastic in white! I just hope you change those tyres soon. Nothing will handle like your Baleno, but Yoko Geolanders will be much better than the BS tyres.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed