Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2011, 10:17   #751
BHPian

Re: Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2

My i20 will be completing an year in another month. So i have thought of a few mods. Searched around for a i20 Modifications thread (Like the one there is for the Swift), but could not find any. So thought i'll post it here since this happens to be the most comprehensive thread on i20. Thanks to Wildon.

I am planning on getting a Spoiler. Simple and Subtle one. I have seen many variants of the same on the roads. I am looking at something which integrates with the roof and does not protrude out (lip spoiler ?) - It should not have any gap between the roof and the spoiler. Wanted to know if its available at Hyundai. IIRC, the one available as OEM is not a lip spoiler. I have seen this on many i20's. So any pointers to where i can source it from would help.

I have also thought of painting the spoiler and the ORVM black (Haven't decided on the finish - matte better ?). Wanted to know how good it would look on a white car. I have seen some white hatchbacks with black lip spoilers and they look good IMHO.

Attaching a pic for reference. Any PS experts ? Please help

I have also looked at some alloys and have almost decided on this. 16".

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...s-dsc_0013.jpg

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-wow3_edit1.jpg

Last edited by Kimified : 11th October 2011 at 10:20.
Old 11th October 2011, 11:19   #752
BANNED

@Kimi

Nice Picture, Which place is this?!

Even i have seen many spoilers in i20's but didn't like it as all of them has that gap at both sides.

ORVM Black color i don't like it. May be not used to it nowadays.

I have seem some good looking alloys though in i20's especially in white color.

One of the additions i have planned and executing this month is for Fuel efficiency monitoring and other parameters;

ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle + Torque Pro (OBD2 & Car)+ Nexus S.

I'll update you once i receive the dongle. here is where i purchased these things.

1. ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle Rs.2529.08/-

2. Torque Pro (OBD2 & Car) Rs.224.95/-

3. Nexus S (Android Phone)

4. Widgets for Torque (OBD / Car) Rs.114.38/- Adding this later

Last edited by wildon : 11th October 2011 at 11:26. Reason: more info
Old 11th October 2011, 11:55   #753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
@Kimi

Even i have seen many spoilers in i20's but didn't like it as all of them has that gap at both sides.

One of the additions i have planned and executing this month is for Fuel efficiency monitoring and other parameters;

ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II Wireless Transceiver Dongle + Torque Pro (OBD2 & Car)+ Nexus S.

I'll update you once i receive the dongle. here is where i purchased these things.

That pic was somewhere close to Banneghatta. Its a secluded and peaceful place. Does not even have a name. You have to take a deviation after banerghatta and go 3 kilometers off the main road to get this. Sunday evening and not even a soul to be found. Tough to find such places in Bangalore now. A friend of mine showed it to me.

About the ORVM going black. Here you go. A very bad PS job. I have seen cars with Carbon Fibre inserts too. They also kinda go well.

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-img_0273-2.jpg

I had a look at the White alloys. They go well, but i am skeptical about it getting dirty very soon. The White ones look good only when they are white. So decided not to get them.

I think i have a pic of the Spoiler on my comp. The lip spoiler one. Will upload later. Guess i will have to goto JC road and check if something similar is available.

I had got the OBD scanner sometime back. It worked perfectly for sometime. But i plugged it out to try it on a friends car and it stopped working. I realised that i had plugged it out when the Car was running, So maybe it got shorted. Not too sure what caused it to stop working. The one in the link looks different from the one i had got. I had got it for 20 odd dollars IIRC. It used to show all the details and it was fun seeing all those numbers while driving. The instantaneous FE numbers used to vary with a very large range. The rest of the details were precise. Here is a pic.

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-img_0466.jpg

Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-img_0480.jpg

Last edited by Kimified : 11th October 2011 at 12:02.
Kimified is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 13:48   #754
Senior - BHPian

@Kim - I have been contemplating about the sme bro but was not sure if it would retain the good looks of Getz. I was in fact thinking about a Glossy black for the mirrors and the top. Could not get this on PS!! :(
Let me know if case you need some help sourcing Alloys, I can help you with some references.
@Wildon - Boy you are one Gadge freak man. Amazing !! How do you manage to source all these stuff so effortlessly everytime.
Old 11th October 2011, 16:57   #755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Kimi

I have this and used it in my i20 to do some scans! Its great for short term scanning!

I have scangauge 2 permanently connected in my i20 and use it to show custom parameters while the car is running!

I found that if I was continuously using Torque app with ELM327, the phone started getting warm! + as screen was always on, battery drain is super fast!!! ( i have a galaxy s2)

Great thing about it though is you can log all driving and engine data and view it on a comp later, for analysis!

I still find scangauge better, as one can use it on a daily basis if one needs to, with literally nill maintenance!

@Kimified - You can use carbonfiber vinyls(3M Di-NOC cf vinyls are good) on the ORVMs! But it should be seamless, as there's always a risk of vandals peeling it off if they find a seam!

You can also make that part with carbon fiber using a mold making kit - Complete kit for making high quality fibreglass moulds suitable for carbon fibre parts - Carbon Mods

and then using a cf kit for the mod, but its usually not feasible for a single use!!

-------------PS------------

@Wildon - Any idea how to access instrument cluster bulbs?

Ever since my indicator light LED mod, the interior green indicator lights are showing light bleed!(maybe due to LED relay) and I want to change them too!

Last edited by sohail99 : 11th October 2011 at 17:02.
Old 11th October 2011, 17:38   #756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
@Kim - I have been contemplating about the sme bro but was not sure if it would retain the good looks of Getz. I was in fact thinking about a Glossy black for the mirrors and the top. Could not get this on PS!! :(
Let me know if case you need some help sourcing Alloys, I can help you with some references.
@Wildon - Boy you are one Gadge freak man. Amazing !! How do you manage to source all these stuff so effortlessly everytime.
Hmm. Yeah. Even i am not sure how good it will look. Anyway, I have decided to give it a shot with the carbon fiber Vinyl. I will peel it off if it spoils the look. Regarding alloys, I know you are one big alloy fan. Will surely contact you before getting them Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I have this and used it in my i20 to do some scans! Its great for short term scanning!

I have scangauge 2 permanently connected in my i20 and use it to show custom parameters while the car is running!

I found that if I was continuously using Torque app with ELM327, the phone started getting warm! + as screen was always on, battery drain is super fast!!! ( i have a galaxy s2)

Great thing about it though is you can log all driving and engine data and view it on a comp later, for analysis!

I still find scangauge better, as one can use it on a daily basis if one needs to, with literally nill maintenance!

@Kimified - You can use carbonfiber vinyls(3M Di-NOC cf vinyls are good) on the ORVMs! But it should be seamless, as there's always a risk of vandals peeling it off if they find a seam!

You can also make that part with carbon fiber using a mold making kit - Complete kit for making high quality fibreglass moulds suitable for carbon fibre parts - Carbon Mods

and then using a cf kit for the mod, but its usually not feasible for a single use!!

-------------PS------------

@Wildon - Any idea how to access instrument cluster bulbs?

Ever since my indicator light LED mod, the interior green indicator lights are showing light bleed!(maybe due to LED relay) and I want to change them too!
Hey Sohail. Thanks. Yeah. Using it with the phone gets a bit tedious after sometime. You need to connect your phone everytime you enter the car, Hook it up and connect the charger to it (Considering Android phones are not known for battery lives). Its a lot simpler if you just have a device which does all that for you like you said. But for using it once in a while, the ELM scanner will suffice.

Carbon fiber Vinyl's. How much do they cost ? Where can i get them from ?. Just in case i get a spoiler, can i use the vinyl on the Spoiler too ? (Again. I might remove it if i don't like it. But just want to give it a try).
Old 11th October 2011, 17:45   #757
Senior - BHPian

Most mod shops should have carbon fiber vinyls! I had to import them as I couldn't find it here!

And yes, you can apply vinyls to almost all the surfaces! I bought the vinyl for my front grille and air dam! I'm not too confident about using them on paint though!
sohail99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 06:56   #758
BHPian

I have i20 Asta Auto 1.4 - May 2010 model.

I saw in an earlier post

Quote:
3. When goes through the potholes little sound comes from the left rear side of the car. (may be the suspension spring sound).
I am also getting a sound which is like "Dom". I am not able to successfully simulate every time, but it happens mostly when I am driving and slow/stop for a speed breaker, sometimes I can hear it before the speed break or after.

I am trying to simulate it so that I can fix it as my service is due.

I used to hear similar sound in my Grand Caravan when the A/C has to work hard to cool it, but that was in the front.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ats-sound.html

Could it be the Clung from the above thread ?

This is one on the rear, Could it be

1. Nitrogen Air
2. Automatic
3. A/C
4. Some kind of fault

TIA.

Last edited by carbhp : 12th October 2011 at 06:56. Reason: added 1.4
Old 12th October 2011, 14:19   #759
Senior - BHPian

SDVC - Tested?

If the SDVC option is switched ON in i20, Is there any threshold speed limit after which we can notice the increase/decrease in volume level (depending on car's speed) than the one we originally set?

Any one tried/tested/observed the difference?

-Ravi
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:43   #760
BANNED

ACNielsen ORG-MARG undertaken an automotive Survey on behalf of JD Power Asia Pacific for HMIL.

The Survey was for HMIL Vehicle Dependability Study for long term ownership.

The survey contained 32 questions in a 15 pages booklet.

The survey was covered the following topics

1. About your vehicle
2. Things gone wrong
3. Summing up the Vehicle Experience
4. Service Visits
5. Parts/Component Replacement
6. Cost of operation
7. Demographics

It almost taken my Half day at work to complete.
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:12   #761
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ACNielsen ORG-MARG undertaken an automotive Survey on behalf of JD Power Asia Pacific for HMIL.

The Survey was for HMIL Vehicle Dependability Study for long term ownership.

The survey contained 32 questions in a 15 pages booklet.

The survey was covered the following topics

1. About your vehicle
2. Things gone wrong
3. Summing up the Vehicle Experience
4. Service Visits
5. Parts/Component Replacement
6. Cost of operation
7. Demographics

It almost taken my Half day at work to complete.
Is the survey available online? On every topic that you mentioned, I would have given a negative rating to Hyundai.
Old 2nd November 2011, 23:11   #762
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I have 2009 model i20 Asta petrol and off late I am observing that the mileage has dropped a bit and also the RPM seems to be hovering around 3k to reach 100kmph on a normal highway. Mileage has come down to 14 with AC on highway, I used to get around 16 to 16.5 earlier. Can the other i20 petrol owners please let me know what the RPM range that your car takes to reach 100. I was suspecting some power loss due to the clutch, but the service engineer said the clutch is working fine.

Appreciate your observations on this.
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:48   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Hi Guys,
I have 2009 model i20 Asta petrol and off late I am observing that the mileage has dropped a bit and also the RPM seems to be hovering around 3k to reach 100kmph on a normal highway. Mileage has come down to 14 with AC on highway, I used to get around 16 to 16.5 earlier. Can the other i20 petrol owners please let me know what the RPM range that your car takes to reach 100. I was suspecting some power loss due to the clutch, but the service engineer said the clutch is working fine.

Appreciate your observations on this.
If your car has done 30K kms, please check all the spark plugs. I got mine changed last month.
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:42   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang29

If your car has done 30K kms, please check all the spark plugs. I got mine changed last month.
I had to get the spark plugs in my i20 changed at 22000 kms. :(
Old 3rd November 2011, 19:01   #765
Senior - BHPian

@Wildon - Any idea if Bosch Platinum IR fusion spark plugs available for the i20's kappa engine?

According to the engine info, it uses M12 long reach spark plugs! Really hard to search for these!! No one seems to understand what I'm talking about lol!

Name:  Spark plug.PNG
Views: 9977
Size:  245.1 KB

I was looking to wrap the stock exhaust headers with heat reflective material, so that the exhaust gases remain heated and clear out easily, thereby preventing and back pressure and HP loss to push them out!

What do you think?

Last edited by sohail99 : 3rd November 2011 at 19:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks