Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 10:23   #541
BANNED

Re: Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
What all was included in the estimate of Rs 9500 ?
1. New bumper
2. Painting
3. Tinkering and labor cost.

Last edited by wildon : 14th February 2011 at 10:24.
Old 15th February 2011, 22:45   #542
BHPian

Hey Wildon, has been following this thread for over an year and thanks for all the information on the i20. I have the following question, please let me know your observation on this.

The Passenger airbag indicator on the center console shows that it is off, even though the airbag is in 'ON' position on the side of the dashboard. I checked with a SA once and he brushed off saying its just a display problem. My i20 is an 2009 1.2 P Asta, please let me know if you also see the same behavior, if not I guess I need to check with service guys again.
Old 16th February 2011, 05:13   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Hey Wildon, has been following this thread for over an year and thanks for all the information on the i20. I have the following question, please let me know your observation on this.

The Passenger airbag indicator on the center console shows that it is off, even though the airbag is in 'ON' position on the side of the dashboard. I checked with a SA once and he brushed off saying its just a display problem. My i20 is an 2009 1.2 P Asta, please let me know if you also see the same behavior, if not I guess I need to check with service guys again.
Is this happening with a passenger in front seat?
If yes - then its a problem.
If no - the passenger side seat might have a load sensor/seatbelt sensor that switches the airbag off when there is no passenger. If no sensor is there, then its a problem.
And please tell the concerned SA to not dismiss these visual signs. check engine light is also a 'display problem' by his standards!
Old 16th February 2011, 11:12   #544
BANNED

This is how the airbag indication works in i20.

1. Assuming that your Passenger side Airbag is in ON position,Put the ignition keys in and turn into ON postion, then Passenger Airbag OFF and seat belt indicator lights illuminates after 5-6 seconds Passenger Airbag OFF lights indicator disappears then its all fine.

2. Start the car (make sure its in neutral ) and if the Passenger Airbag OFF display stays on illuminating then there is a problem.

To check the Passenger side airbag is OFF

1. Turn OFF the Passenger side airbag using the carkey
2. Start the car you can see the Passenger Air bag OFF stays illuminated indicating its OFF.

Remember there is no Display in the car like Passenger Airbag ON
If the Passenger Airbag is working then there wont be any visual display. If its OFF then it display Passenger Airbag OFF
Old 16th February 2011, 11:32   #545
BHPian

Thanks blackasta and wildon for the inputs, I will try the method suggested by wildon and let you guys know. When I was talking to the SA, there was no passenger in the front seat and we were just checking it by just putting the ignition key in and turning it into ON position and not starting car.

I guess this might have been explained in the user manual, I should have read it properly
Old 16th February 2011, 17:34   #546
BHPian

I verified this and it works as expected, as per Wildon's post. I guess the way of not having a 'Passenger Airbag ON' has confused me. Hyundai should have added it or I should read the manual thoroughly

Thanks Wildon!
Old 16th February 2011, 20:48   #547
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Got hit by a cab.

The Hyundai guy shown the quote to the cab passenger ,Rs 9500/- , he simply opened his wallet and paid in full to me and left the scene..

I asked them to put back the bumper holding clips and now it looks way way better. I have to leave my car next week or so for the repair.
Hey Wildon, couple of questions.

1. Slightly off topic, why did the cab passenger pay you if it was a cab fellow who hit you? Sorry didnt get the logic there.

2. And these bumper holding clips, are used ONLY when someone has a loosened bumper?
Old 17th February 2011, 15:11   #548
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
1. Slightly off topic, why did the cab passenger pay you if it was a cab fellow who hit you? Sorry didnt get the logic there.
Frankly i don't know the reason behind that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
2. And these bumper holding clips, are used ONLY when someone has a loosened bumper?
On both end of the bumper there are bolts, and couple of bolts at the rear brake light section also. rest are like holding clips which make the bumper sits properly.
so when this guys reversed the car the bumper got dislodged from the bolt and rest of the portion came out from the holding clips.
Old 19th February 2011, 12:40   #549
BHPian

Just got back form the service center (V3 Chennai) had gone to fix a rattle from the rear seat area right after the first service. As the rattle seemed to spread to both sides, dad and me finally got time to take it today.

The car has done 8330Kms in about 3 months and today, for the first time, after the rear rattle was fixed (the rear seat backrest latch had an issue because of the seat covers) while testing on an unpaved road, heard the dreaded steering rattle :(

The car is manufactured in Oct '10 and thus I hoped the rattle won't be an issue. The rattle is not audible on regular roads but is rather loud (Ac off/ windows up) on unpaved roads.

The SA was suggesting the Bush during our second service, but said the steering would tighten up.

So far, these were the complains.

->Rear rattle from seat/quarter panel
->Front left door pad idling vibration during startup
->Wiper leaving streaks
->Dent in front left door :(

and now the steering rattle.

What is the best approach for the rattle? I will be going back on Wednesday to get the dent removed(4500Rs estimate. high?) Should I get the rattle looked into on Wed? Go for the bush?

-Thanks!
Old 19th February 2011, 13:02   #550
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyking View Post
What is the best approach for the rattle? I will be going back on Wednesday to get the dent removed(4500Rs estimate. high?) Should I get the rattle looked into on Wed? Go for the bush?
Better don't allow them to touch the car for rattle, as they will screw up your steering. Wait and watch until Hyundai provides us a permanent solution to the rattle.

Regarding the dent, please consult to a good independent workshop also, as i'm sure the cost will be half.

Also eager to know what they have done to the latch?! some jugad fix like insulation tape rolled on to the latch ? or something else.. please let us know.
Old 19th February 2011, 20:43   #551
BHPian

Haha! yes, they did jugad tape rolled on the latch! The more permanent fix if you ask me would be to make a cut in the seat cover for it to latch on correctly?

Regarding the dent, Pl see the pic attached. Will my warranty be voided if I get it fixed in an independent garage?
Attached Thumbnails
Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-19022011253.jpg  

Old 21st February 2011, 22:27   #552
BHPian

Hey Wildon, while reading through the very first posts, I noticed that you have bought a Kenwood vaccum cleaner. Wanted to know how its holding up over a period of time. Do you think its worth the money. Thinking of buying one instead of getting the cleaned outside regularly.
Old 22nd February 2011, 12:03   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyking View Post

So far, these were the complains.

->Rear rattle from seat/quarter panel
->Front left door pad idling vibration during startup
->Wiper leaving streaks
->Dent in front left door :(
1. Check the area around spare tyre for any loose stuff(jack/the screw holding the spare tyre etc.)

and tuck the rear seat belts in little vertical holes meant for them to go in(near the rear doors)

2. Some clips holding the door pad might have come lose! + check the rubber molding around the door whether its holding properly.

3. Wipers have worn out, replace them for quality ones from Bosch.

4. Getting bodywork done from outside hyundai will not void warranty!
(warranty is void only if some wires are cut lol)

--------------------------------------

Some epileptic driver had gotten a seizure and dented whole of the right side of my i20!

Got the whole right side repainted by Pandit & co (I'll never get anything painted by hyundai as they are newbies with paint spray guns!)

It cost me close to 30k! but the paint quality is top notch!! (a few defects here and there which only my eye can see lol!)

Getting solid colors painted by hyundai is ok as it doesn't require that much expertise!
But painting metallic blue color with pearlscent effect requires through knowledge of paint laying and its usually messed up by hyundai bodyshop!

Btw got the sill guards from sgpetch UK for my baby! - Sill Guards Accessories for Hyundai i20 2009 - 2011

They are actually brown in color and fit and finish is perfect!! You also get a degreasing kit and manual instructing how to clean the door jambs before sticking the guards there!

Also it covers almost whole of the jamb! Here due to cost cutting, all we get is cheap stuff! :(
Old 22nd February 2011, 16:26   #554
BHPian

Sohail,

Can you please post a picture of the Sil guards you put in your car? Did you import them by the way? Appreciate if you post the cost break up as well.
Old 28th February 2011, 00:03   #555
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Very nice to hear that my friend and hope it stays that way.
It didn't last long enough , the steering rattle is back to the core. The rattling sound is audible now even if i negotiate a hump.

I took this road and it was rattling like anything.
Unknown road to VIBGYOR High School, Bengaluru, Karnataka - Google Maps

My sincere advice to those who are shortlisted to buy a Hyundai i20 in future, PLEASE DON'T BUY IT.

The Company sucks big time, and this is as per my experience of owning an i20 for 1.6 years.I can only partially blame the dealer as they tried their level best, but there was no real solution provided by the company to the dealer.They cant even sort out a problem after 4 repairs under warranty which still existent in my i20 also in many others too.

I totally lost confidence in Hyundai.

Last edited by wildon : 28th February 2011 at 00:14.

Most Viewed