Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2011, 07:32   #601
BHPian

Re: Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2

@Wildon : I hope your problem is fixed. You have helped fellow members on this forum by decoding their VIN. All our wishes are with you.
OT : Does the i10 have a steering rattle issue or is it only restricted to the i20?
Old 9th March 2011, 08:11   #602
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by webblescott View Post
Tragedy on i20 this afternoon at kerala, Kasaragod, Killed one, Lady driver Lost control and car went roll down to 50ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Here it is giving an impression that it was steering issue which lead to accident. But there might be 100 other reasons for the accident.
Any further info about this accident? Does today's newpaper says anything about this accident?

The word Lost control generated some butterflies in my stomach. Because we have a reported problem of EPS failure here in this forum.

Sad to see the i20 in that state. Look at the public, they don't want to miss an opportunity.
Old 9th March 2011, 09:30   #603
BHPian

Clear reason for the accident not yet revealed, I will speak to Hyundai guys to know more about this, well i can find only one Malayalam news online edition through this link, That just mentioning the occupants name and some other details like where they coming from etc ..

Beldame dead while car fell into Pit: 2 in Critical stage | K Vartha

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Any further info about this accident? Does today's newpaper says anything about this accident?

The word Lost control generated some butterflies in my stomach. Because we have a reported problem of EPS failure here in this forum.

Sad to see the i20 in that state. Look at the public, they don't want to miss an opportunity.
Old 9th March 2011, 10:01   #604
BHPian

@ Wildon - This car states 5 star security and nothing works. I dont know incase of accident even my Airbags will come out or not

I hope you remember in my previous post i mentioned about failure of clutch switch and my car started jumping on each gear shift. Switch got changed nd fixed the issue. After a week time while i was driving for a distance of 50 km another bug caught me, One truck infront of me applied a sudden brake, i was like a 10mtr behind the truck, immediately i applied the brake, OH MY GOD, My brake start playing like as if i applied a clutch. It went till the bottom line, i tried to pump immediately and then it worked. I thought it was something like ABS failure or something, Took the car back to service centre and the issue was like disk brake was filled with Air and Both front brake pads were flattened
Old 10th March 2011, 00:34   #605
BANNED

Today i met with a person who is passionate about his work.

Simple, calm, polite and know how do deal with a suffering/troubling customer.

As you all know i had an appointment with company authorized Hyundai Vendor person to sort out the steering rattle issue.

Reached the HASS Kalyan Nagar at 1.40 p.m , 10 minutes late as scheduled. Some famous figures from the Trident department also was present and i had a nice time especially talking with the technical head and clearing/asking my doubts.

No time wasted, we straight away head to the vehicle for a test drive. I offered the person to drive but he asked me to drive. I completed the drive and both have agreed NO RATTLES.

HASS Kalyan Nagar >> Horamavu Signal>> then a u turn , then through Kalyan Nagar BMTC depot >> HASS Kalyan Nagar.

Again after some time we test drove the car through the parallel road of HASS and came back and came back, although i felt some uncomfortable on a small patch , concluded that NO RATTLES.

We all came back to the HASS and the person asked me about roads which i felt the rattle and i have explained him the same. He checked my service history with the relevant persons in HASS.

As for a good will and also because repeated complains of me for the same he decided to change the GEAR ASSEMBLY - STEERING.

As the work was progressing every one took the lunch brake, came after lunch and i was informed that the work was done and HASS team took the car for a quick test drive.

After the HASS test drive the steering needed some minor adjustment and i was asked to test drive it. I was offered the car to my cousin brother to test drive it and found minor adjustment needed for the Steering. The wheel alignment was done after this.

The work carried out was to my satisfactory level and i have conveyed the same. Shake hands and thanks exchanged and i took the car back after a free wash.

Driving back to home didn't resulted any kind of RATTLES as i deliberately took the car to some rough patches and humps.

Tomorrow morning i have to drop my wife to her school and will give you the final feed back as the road to which leads to the school is fully rough and in this particular road last time the rattling was reappeared.

Also from the knowledge gained today,

Rattling noise is nowhere related to the car's safety. Its just a sound (irritating sound). But if you have any other problems please do check.

If the Hyundai Chennai guys are reading this, i request please give special training to your workforce for the fix provided. The Vendor person whom you have sent today will be best person who can guide them.

The next was my chit chat with the Tech guru from Trident Hyundai. I was asking him what and all feature i can activate in my stock i20. He disagreed on the DTE part as i was saying the wires are already present in the stock i20. May be i'm wrong as i don't have the Trip computer module which show the DTE to test it out.

He told me the Auto unlocking of doors when you remove the key can be activated and he done it for me. So this feature is available in our older i20's too.
Old 10th March 2011, 00:47   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Today i met with a person who is passionate about his work.

Simple, calm, polite and know how do deal with a suffering/troubling customer......

....He told me the Auto unlocking of doors when you remove the key can be activated and he done it for me. So this feature is available in our older i20's too.
Ahh thats a relief. Was eagerly waiting for the outcome of your trip to HASS. Has any of our BHPians join you? Hope the issue never encounters. Did you get a chance to find out if it was indeed one of a case or a notorious issue on all the i20s?

If you can also please put together a list of things we can do with the stock features (like the auto lock, auto unlock and so on), it would really be helpful.
Old 10th March 2011, 01:08   #607
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Has any of our BHPians join you?
Unfortunately none, as i believe it was a short notice given to them.

Quote:
Hope the issue never encounters.
I sincerely wish for the same.

Quote:
Did you get a chance to find out if it was indeed one of a case or a notorious issue on all the i20s?
It was/is indeed one of the issues in i10 as well as i20. I wanted to get the feed back from the i10 and i20 owners who owns 2011 model cars as models from 2010 (don't know from which month) are claimed to be free from this issue. Since some of the 2010 owners are complaining i wanted the feed back of 2011 model owners.

Quote:
If you can also please put together a list of things we can do with the stock features (like the auto lock, auto unlock and so on), it would really be helpful.
Will put all the "i20 Tips and Tricks" in one place soon.
Old 10th March 2011, 07:52   #608
BHPian

Quote:

As for a good will and also because repeated complains of me for the same he decided to change the GEAR ASSEMBLY - STEERING.

Does Hyundai suspect that the Gear Assembly -Steering could be responsible for any rattles ? If yes then shoudnt they be updating their TSB so that they could do this when repeated complaints of rattles arise
Old 10th March 2011, 11:16   #609
rbp
BHPian

@wildon :- You did not ask the rep of the AC issues?
Old 10th March 2011, 11:18   #610
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortechie View Post
Does Hyundai suspect that the Gear Assembly -Steering could be responsible for any rattles ? If yes then shoudnt they be updating their TSB so that they could do this when repeated complaints of rattles arise
What i came to understand from the HASS is,

The reason for the RATTLE is because of there is a metal to metal contact in the gear assembly - steering. i.e the contacts between the rack support yoke and the yoke plug when we drives through rough roads due to the vibration.

In some cars it requires to change the Yoke Plug, Urethane Pad and Yoke Spring and in some other cases it requires the Urethane Pad and the Yoke Spring.

At present i don't know which batches are effected, Hyundai should has asked all HASS to inform the customers to come for the fix, like HONDA is doing it now.

@ rbp

The Hyundai Vendor visited yesterday was no way related to the A/c components.

Last edited by wildon : 10th March 2011 at 11:22.
Old 10th March 2011, 16:11   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
he decided to change the GEAR ASSEMBLY - STEERING.
AKA Steering Rack. This part was changed twice in my car( second time they had claimed that the steering rack is the one that is going into BSIV models and that the sound will never come back), yet the issue still persists. For a few days, my car ran fine and then the same sound returned.

Drive it around for a few days and report if the rattling sound come back.

You said a few days back that the rattling sound was there. How come the sound did not show up yesterday?

Quote:
the Yoke Plug, Urethane Pad and Yoke Spring and in some other cases it requires the Urethane Pad and the Yoke Spring.
In my car, they changed everything. Yet the issue persists.
Old 10th March 2011, 16:25   #612
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
You said a few days back that the rattling sound was there. How come the sound did not show up yesterday?
My normal route is different, and as you may be remembering my post about where i was able to reproduce the sound.

The test drive was conducted near to the HASS in where i dont have any problems of rattling.
Old 11th March 2011, 01:34   #613
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Today I plan to go and try to get this mystery solved behind the AC and steering issues in the i20. Hope to get something concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
You'de be lucky to get anything out of HMIL about this ultra secretive issue
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
The i20 A/C and Steering issue have plagued this car for sometime now, Even though they have known about it for sometime, i doubt if any significant improvements have been seen. Maybe since its running successful for the European market, they are adopting a 'If its not broke, do not fix it' policy.
If the sources are to be believed the Steering Noise issue definitely plagued the i10's and i20's in very large numbers.

Hyundai has to break its silence and admit it openly. At present they are doing it silently.

If your Tax invoice receipt showing the part no: 08Z0X57776 then your car is plagued with this issue and got a field fix for the same. If your dealer is not given any explanation for the same you can safely assume that they are covering it up.
Old 11th March 2011, 10:22   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
part no: 08Z0X57776
What is the name of this part no? Urethane pad, Yoke spring or something else?

When the urethane pad/ yoke plug/spring were installed in my car, the bill only mentioned "Addition of urethane pad/ yoke spring". It never mentioned any part no. for the same. Only when the steering rack was changed twice in the car, the part no. was mentioned on the respective bills( Gear Assy Steering - Part No. 565001J950).

Last edited by skanchan95 : 11th March 2011 at 10:44.
Old 11th March 2011, 10:51   #615
Senior - BHPian

Wildon, anything about the AC cooling thingy?

Most Viewed