Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2013, 10:25   #856
BHPian

Re: Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2

Day before yesterday, a two wheeler hit my car from the opposite direction. The impact left my i20’s front bumper to break open. When I got my car inspected at Advaith Hyundai, the service person told me that the front bumper needs to be completely replaced or he can give a temporary fix by drilling a hole and putting a clip. Also, the windscreen washer motor has been damaged and even this needs to be replaced. I have two options now:

1. Get the bumper and the washer motor replaced by making a claim to insurance. But the service guy said that I can get only upto 50% insurance cover on the bumper since it’s made out of fabric. This means I will have to bear the remaining 50%. The front bumper would cost around 7.5k and the motor around 2.5k. Of the total 10k, I need to pay around 3.5k. I have my insurance renewal in Jan and if I claim now, do I need to pay more for the renewal considering the fact that I won’t be eligible for NCB? What is feasible: to claim or not claim.

2. I can live with the bad bumper for now but get the motor atleast replaced under warranty. The problem here is he says that he cannot simply replace the motor under warranty because it’s gone bad due to an accident. Not sure how to convince him.
Kindly advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Feels like i'm 20 now - Hyundai i20 Asta 1.2-i20_front_bumper.jpg  

Old 23rd January 2014, 23:18   #857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenp View Post
Day before yesterday, a two wheeler hit my car
1. Get the bumper and the washer motor replaced by making a claim to

2. I can live with the bad bumper for now but get the motor atleast Kindly advise.
Praveen - Not Sure you have already got your car in shape by this time.

1st - If your Insurance is subject to renewal (I am not sure about date) this month, You should wait for it to receive NCB and later claim insurance.

2nd - It had happened to me for other part and they didn't change foc. Finally I had to claim Insurance.
Old 24th January 2014, 08:08   #858
BHPian

Go to a local garage. At least the bumper looks repairable with just a small screw fitting. Trust me it would not look so bad and you can replace it when (God forbids) you have another minor incident which damages the bumper. I am sure the washer motor would not be that costly. How much is he quoting? Try and get a quote from a local garage too. If it's lesser than the NCB get it done from outside.
Old 24th January 2014, 09:45   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Go to a local garage. At least the bumper looks repairable with just a small screw fitting. Trust me it would not look so bad and you can replace it when (God forbids) you have another minor incident which damages the bumper. I am sure the washer motor would not be that costly. How much is he quoting? Try and get a quote from a local garage too. If it's lesser than the NCB get it done from outside.
The bumper is not repairable and needs to be replaced with a new one because the place where the screw gets attached itself is broken. I have for the time being used Fevicol to temporarily affix the bumper to the body and it's holding on so far. I agree with you that I will get it fixed once it starts looking ugly with scratches/dents.

The washer motor, I got it replaced under warranty but had to do lot of convincing before it was replaced with a new one. The service guy initially said that the total cost of replacement for both bumper and washer motor would be around 10K but managed to get new washer motor free of cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo_gogo View Post
Praveen - Not Sure you have already got your car in shape by this time.

1st - If your Insurance is subject to renewal (I am not sure about date) this month, You should wait for it to receive NCB and later claim insurance.

2nd - It had happened to me for other part and they didn't change foc. Finally I had to claim Insurance.
The bumper has not be replaced. The cost of replacing bumper is around 7k and this includes painting as well. But the service guy told me that even if I make a claim, I would only get 50% of the amount, which is 3.5k. Mine is a zero-depreciation policy and I thought the insurance will bear the entire replacement cost barring the compulsory deductible, which is Rs.1000 in my case. Is he right or is my understanding wrong?

I renewed my insurance couple of days ago.
Old 24th January 2014, 09:52   #860
BHPian

If it's a zero-dep policy, it would be fully covered (except the deductible). The service guy may not be aware of the same.
Old 25th January 2014, 19:19   #861
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
I just opened my old ORVMS down to the folding motor and gear assembly and found that plastic gears were interfacing with metal gears(to cut costs I presume! Very bad Hyundai! )
and one of the gears was broken in half. (obviously, the weak link here is plastic gears!)

The gear assembly
Attachment 1141253

Motor gear
Attachment 1141254

All the gears out and cleaned up

Attachment 1141255

Is there any place where I can get maybe full metal gear replacements for these!? (because new ones will fail too eventually as they'll be plastic! )

Everything else is fine! motor is ok, so are the electrical mirror adjusts
These plastic gears in some of the pictures seem to have been reduced to a melted cheese-like consistency! How absolutely horrid!
If this is the scenario, then imagine what havoc a hot climate or the act of parking the car in the hot sun can wreak!
Old 27th January 2014, 08:32   #862
BHPian

Quote:
If it's a zero-dep policy, it would be fully covered (except the deductible). The service guy may not be aware of the same.
I did tell him but he said since the bumper is made of fiber, 100% claim on it is not allowed. Will talk to him again.
Old 27th January 2014, 08:54   #863
BHPian

That's what the zero dep policy is for - it insures you against depreciation.
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 18:55   #864
rbp
BHPian

Has anyone changed the clutch plates in a i20 diesel? Cost?

My car has developed a strange behavior, when the car is on the move and during an upshift when I press the clutch, the car jerks once. I don't see any drop in power or revvs do not rise, just the jerk that is bothering me, I will taking her to the workshop this weekend.

My car is a 2009 model, 5 speed, done around 45K Kms.
Old 4th February 2014, 19:15   #865
BHPian

Quote:
In my understanding, in case of rubber or fiber parts insurance pays only 50 % of the total cost. This is not the depreciation amount. In case of depreciation insurance would pay 50% of depreciated cost.
Old 17th February 2014, 15:03   #866
BHPian

Wildon, I am using your forum to post a problem my i20(petrol – 2009) is facing because this has been the mother of all i20 threads.

My i20 indicators (all 6 of them) go ON while I am driving, with no fixed pattern. It does happen haphazardly. The quick solution is that I guide my car on the side of road where there is space. Switch off the car, remove the keys and wait for 35 secs. The indicator lights go off. Then I drive away.
Hyundai service station says, it’s a Body Function Module error and needs to be changed. As I am out of warranty, it will cost me 14,000.00 Is this right price? Any other economical solution anyone can suggest.
Old 10th July 2015, 21:56   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspal singh View Post
Your experience is similar to mine. my 3 months old i gen i20 petrol with 5400 kms till date, makes a " click or tak" sound when steering is fully turned in clockwise direction. this mostly happens when i try to park the car. it seems this noise was present since day 1 but i could notice it only when i tried to park in a tight spot.
Sorry about bumping up such an old topic, but has anyone faced the steering rattling issue in the i-gen i20? My 2012 1.2 car seems to be getting 'the rattles'. The car has just run 18k kms so far, and has been baby-ed most of these years, on account of other diesel cars in the house taking the maximum brunt of all our runs. This one has been used mostly by my wife for the short (~3kms) commute to her office.

Have noticed these rattles coming off & on over the last 2-3 months, and they have now grown to a persistent one. Comes even when the car is stationary, and the steering is turned (engine on). Anybody else who has faced this issue yet? Will the earlier service circular for the yolk replacement apply for this?

Planning to take it to HASC tomorrow. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 18th August 2015, 11:29   #868
BHPian

Well my 2010 I20 which is 35000 KM driven has run into major EPS issue. The steering becomes tight and EPS light blinks, making it impossible to drive. Error code is EPS motor and module failure. Trident Hyundai recommended to change EPS motor, the EPS module and torque sensor - total damage around INR 38K.

The car is out of warranty and there is no option that to spend this much. This is the last Hyundai am going to buy. The car has been sparingly used that to only 8-10 km per day by wife for commute.

Is there an advice on how to approach this please. I mailed Hyundai customer care and they directed me back to Trident. This is a major safety issue and the service center guy is behaving as if it is normal, and I need to shell the money. Car is currently not being driven as it's not safe, till we get spares.
Old 18th August 2015, 13:19   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger_123 View Post
Well my 2010 I20 which is 35000 KM driven has run into major EPS issue. The steering becomes tight and EPS light blinks, making it impossible to drive. Error code is EPS motor and module failure. Trident Hyundai recommended to change EPS motor, the EPS module and torque sensor - total damage around INR 38K.

The car is out of warranty and there is no option that to spend this much. This is the last Hyundai am going to buy. The car has been sparingly used that to only 8-10 km per day by wife for commute.

Is there an advice on how to approach this please. I mailed Hyundai customer care and they directed me back to Trident. This is a major safety issue and the service center guy is behaving as if it is normal, and I need to shell the money. Car is currently not being driven as it's not safe, till we get spares.
Is Insurance not an option? Did you check with them? Am not sure if EPS is covered in Insurance. Please check. Also what is the probable reason SA told for this failure in EPS?

-Ravi
Old 18th August 2015, 13:55   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Is Insurance not an option? Did you check with them? Am not sure if EPS is covered in Insurance. Please check. Also what is the probable reason SA told for this failure in EPS?

-Ravi
Well the insurance folks are saying any mechanical or Electrical damage is not covered under it.
As far as reason for damage, showroom folks are clueless and are telling some i20 have these issues, and there is no warranty on electrical part failures.

Not sure if company is liable. I even though of exchanging car, but figured out didn't make sense financially and the higher depreciation expected with a newer car.

Most Viewed