Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 06:43   #151
BHPian

Re: Honda Jazz - My ownership report (30,000 km update on page 10)

Hello AKP,

Outstanding ownership report that captures the nuances of not just ownership but actually how to actually experience a great ownership. The kind of meticulous attention to detail that is provided by you is one of the reasons why this forum is one of the best and to get an unbiased view.
aaren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 12:15   #152
BHPian

That's a very nice and detailed ownership review. Really loved the way you have maintained a detailed log of all the expenses incurred on maintenance of car from time to time.
Honda Jazz is a very reliable and fuss free car and one one can never go wrong with a Honda.
Vtecguy7166 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 19:14   #153

Re: 30,000 km update

Service history:
Extremely good and detailed thread, thanks i am planning for buying the JAZZ but was concerned about the long term running cost of the JAZZ. From your thread now i have a fair idea about that. Looking forward to some more great and informative updates.
bose.srijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2011, 17:57   #154
akp
BHPian

First sign of trouble.

This was about a week back. We were going on a quick two-day trip. Started at 12:30 AM. Around 3 AM, we stopped at Jhilmil dhaba on NH1 for a tea break. Have a cup of tea and after about 15 minutes, get back to the car; but the car refuses to start. Looks like a problem with the battery, but it is a bit puzzling, as we have just had a 150 km nonstop run. Why on earth should the battery die suddenly. Ok, the fan was running for those 15 minutes, but that's hardly something that would drain the battery completely.

To make sure that nothing else is wrong, we decide to call a mechanic. He diagnoses it immediately as a battery problem and push starts the car. Then he checks something near the alternator, probably whether there is any loose connection; then the battery terminals. Everything seems fine, except that the battery gulps down quite a bit of water when he pours water in it. Surprisingly, the indicator that is supposed go red when water level goes down had stayed blue. Anyway, after this the car started fine, and have not had any problem since then.
Old 9th October 2011, 02:07   #155
BHPian

Great thread akp!

I really have to appreciate the meticulous logs you have maintained. I was doing the same when I was driving. In fact, I even had an app to log all this info! I have had my eye on this car for a long time now and will most probably go for one when I return to India.

As I read through this thread, the one question that kept popping up in my head was this - "why has this guy, who is so extremely concerned about FE - bordering on paranoia almost (as I am), not gone for a diesel?"

Also going slightly OT, I read that you are considering an SUV purchase in the near future. May I ask who the main contenders are? Is the XUV 500 on your radar?
Sergei is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 19:41   #156
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei View Post
As I read through this thread, the one question that kept popping up in my head was this - "why has this guy, who is so extremely concerned about FE - bordering on paranoia almost (as I am), not gone for a diesel?"
I am sorry if I gave out the impression that I am overly bothered about FE - of course I don't mind the FE that the car comes with - but the primary reason I am recording all those details and presenting them here is to give others an idea about what to expect from the car; and it is also something through which I can keep an eye on the health of the car, and can distinguish between good and bad petrol pumps.

Quote:
Also going slightly OT, I read that you are considering an SUV purchase in the near future. May I ask who the main contenders are? Is the XUV 500 on your radar?
I am primarily looking for a 4x4 SUV with low ratio capabilities that offers reasonable comfort and space. Right now the contenders are Scorpio, Safari and if I can stretch my budget, the Fortuner. For a couple of days after its release, I was very much excited about the XUV, but then realized it does not offer the low ratio. For now, I think I will wait a bit longer to see if there is any further new launch from anyone or if the XUV pricing forces Toyota to make any changes to the pricing of Fortuner.
akp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 23:19   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp
I am sorry if I gave out the impression that I am overly bothered about FE - of course I don't mind the FE that the car comes with - but the primary reason I am recording all those details and presenting them here is to give others an idea about what to expect from the car; and it is also something through which I can keep an eye on the health of the car, and can distinguish between good and bad petrol pumps.
Please don't get me wrong. I am paranoid about FE.
I TD'D the diesel figo, punto before I left India. I am at a crossroads about whether my first car should be a diesel or a petrol.

Can you please elaborate a little on why you went for a petrol? Looking at your running (15k km in a year) makes me wonder why you went for a petrol when a diesel would've been so much more value.

Last edited by Sergei : 9th October 2011 at 23:26.
Old 9th October 2011, 23:39   #158
BHPian

Akp: That is the longest running ownership thread of the Jazz here and so glad that you are nearing half a million kms without major issues, just pure performance and comfort! Awesome stuff mate! We love your Jazz to the core

Would recommend you to switch over to Michelin or Bridgestone rubber, will make the drive even better

Just had one query for you: How has the suspension been so far? Since you have done as many long drives on literally all types of roads. Also, any body rattles/squeaks inside the cabin?
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 00:44   #159
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei View Post
Can you please elaborate a little on why you went for a petrol? Looking at your running (15k km in a year) makes me wonder why you went for a petrol when a diesel would've been so much more value.
The main reason we didn't even think of going for diesel cars was that we did not anticipate the usage would be this high. At the time of buying this car, we had a fiat uno that was about to complete nine years and it had only done a little over 47000 km. But once we got the Jazz, we simply got blown away. We started enjoying our drives a lot more and went for a lot of long distance trips, which is the primary reason that the usage has been much higher than anticipated.
Having said that, let me also point out that among the cars that we had initially shortlisted, there were two (i20 and verna) that had diesel versions also, but none of those had made it to our final shortlist. And within our budget of 8L, I do not think there was any other diesel that would have ticked all our requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Akp: That is the longest running ownership thread of the Jazz here and so glad that you are nearing half a million kms without major issues, just pure performance and comfort! Awesome stuff mate! We love your Jazz to the core
Thanks, coolmel.
I think you meant half a lakh, not half a million. Notwithstanding all the great things that I and others have to say about the Jazz, I still hope I will switch to something else long before it completes half a million on the odo.

Quote:
Would recommend you to switch over to Michelin or Bridgestone rubber, will make the drive even better
That's definitely on the pipeline. Goodyears make too much noise and they are getting noisier by the day (on highways - for city drives, they are still manageable). But now that the car is nearling 35k, I would wait for a little while longer and switch to some better tires next year.

Quote:
Just had one query for you: How has the suspension been so far? Since you have done as many long drives on literally all types of roads. Also, any body rattles/squeaks inside the cabin?
Suspensions are still exhibiting the same characteristics as in the beginning -slightly stiff at slow speeds but very good at higher speeds and gobbles up potholes quite well at 60kmph or above. No rattles so far from anywhere.
Old 10th October 2011, 01:19   #160
BHPian

Akp: Fantastic! My bad..I did mean half a lakh. And, the best part is your reg. no. A nice 'see you' to all those you overtake
Old 21st May 2012, 11:11   #161
BHPian

akp

This has been one of the most detailed and comprehensive ownership reviews of a car, I've read on this forum. The best part is this is about the Jazz, which I am also buying. I will be taking the delivery of my SMT Black variant, this Friday.
The FE metrics you have shared are very detailed; I cant imagine myself or my wife doing such detailed analysis of FE. This is our first car, so we just want to get it, and go out for trips!

I will also share my initial ownership review, in few weeks time.

Thanks a lot your the detailed review and for the so much information you keep sharing about Jazz. Its a wonderful car indeed!
harryskt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 11:27   #162
BHPian

akp,
I wanted your inputs on this; I've decided not to go with extended warranty that the dealer is providing. This included 2 yrs of extended regular warranty and 4 yrs of RSA. I did this to save some initial cost as the dealer said I can go for it at anytime, within one year of purchase. It costs Rs.9,600.

- Did you opt for this extended warranty?
- Did you feel the need for / did you use the RSA anytime, during your long drives?
Old 21st May 2012, 11:56   #163
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryskt View Post
- Did you opt for this extended warranty?
- Did you feel the need for / did you use the RSA anytime, during your long drives?
First of all, congratulations on your new Jazz.

The extended warranty came free in my case - and I think with all the Jazz models before the price revision, so I did not have to get it separately.

So far, I have not had to use the extended warranty. The music system was replaced once, but that was within the regular warranty period.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:36   #164
BHPian

Thanks akp, for clarifying that.
Old 21st May 2012, 15:10   #165
Senior - BHPian

akp - great ownership thread! This is the kind of info prospective buyers are thirsty for - and there aren't too many comprehensive Jazz ownership threads.
I just bought my (third straight) Honda City - but believe me - I was all set to buy the Jazz had they launched an automatic version. I think it is the best (petrol) hatch in the country.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed