Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 12:30   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda Jazz - My ownership report (30,000 km update on page 10)

Hi akp, Very nicely written review along with nice pictures too. Honda Jazz is an excellent car and it has fantastic looks. Most characteristics are similar to ANHC but with a smaller heart. Have you ripped i-VTEC? I mean have you driven your car above 4-5K and felt i-VTEC?

Last edited by bluevolt : 12th April 2011 at 12:36.
Old 14th April 2011, 14:48   #122
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Hi akp, Very nicely written review along with nice pictures too. Honda Jazz is an excellent car and it has fantastic looks. Most characteristics are similar to ANHC but with a smaller heart. Have you ripped i-VTEC? I mean have you driven your car above 4-5K and felt i-VTEC?
Thanks, bluevolt.

The maximum that I have gone upto is about 140kmph in 5th gear, which translates to about 4500 rpm. That is about as far as I am comfortable in on Indian roads (I have probably done higher rpms, but that would be in gear 1 on some very steep inclines and I am sure you do not have that in mind when you ask your question). So in that sense, I have not really `ripped' it yet. One person I know who has done that with his Jazz is adimicra - I think he will be able to give you a proper answer.
@adimicra: are you listening?
Old 14th April 2011, 23:17   #123
Senior - BHPian

Very reassuring to read your updates. Have you managed to upgrade the OE horn or felt the need to do so?
Old 15th April 2011, 10:01   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Hey, sorry for the late reply.
I have ripped my Jazz several times to the redline and it feels fantastic.
Just like other Honda engines, it is very rev happy and goes to the redline with ease - I hit the rev limiter a few times in this process as the final part of the acceleration is crazy from 5K - 6.5K rpm.
Max speeds done in various gears (as indicated by speedo) -
1st gear - 40 kmph.
2nd gear - 90 kmph
3rd gear - 127 kmph.
4th gear - 175 kmph
5th gear - 185 kmph

PS - please make sure u have a proper road before trying out high speeds.
Old 15th April 2011, 11:34   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Hey, sorry for the late reply.
I have ripped my Jazz several times to the redline and it feels fantastic.
Just like other Honda engines, it is very rev happy and goes to the redline with ease - I hit the rev limiter a few times in this process as the final part of the acceleration is crazy from 5K - 6.5K rpm.
I know what you mean! It's such a rev-happy motor, the 1.2 Vtec. The shove you get once you cross the 3.5-4k mark is addictive. And despite frequent revving, it still manages to deliver decent fuel economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
PS - please make sure u have a proper road before trying out high speeds.
I'm sure you did. Being in Hyderabad!
Old 15th April 2011, 17:47   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Well, this is going to be the third summer for the car, so nothing new really. I have not and do not plan to put any sunfilm - in fact even without any sunfilm, we are yet to use the AC at its full power.

Made first use of warranty. The music system had developed some noise - one from the cd rotating mechanism so you could hear it when you insert a cd and set volume to zero. The head unit was replaced free of cost, no questions asked.

Not much else to report on the car. It has covered more than 26000km now and the cumulative FE figure over the entire 26000+ km stands at 14.6 kmpl.
Damn! thats neat AK! You havent put sunfilm yet. Now that is some Correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt the Jazz get Green glass??) Considering that 14kpl is really awesome.

But how do you manage to beat these hot days without sunfilm on?? Cant imagine, but want to hear from you.
Old 15th April 2011, 22:13   #127
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Have you managed to upgrade the OE horn or felt the need to do so?
On occasions I have felt it should have been stronger, but have not been desperate enough to upgrade it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Damn! thats neat AK! You havent put sunfilm yet. Now that is some Correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt the Jazz get Green glass??) Considering that 14kpl is really awesome.

But how do you manage to beat these hot days without sunfilm on?? Cant imagine, but want to hear from you.
Well, I like its clean large glass area. Normally the AC is more than adequate. If there is direct sunlight on any of the passengers, then we use sunscreens; at times, I have even used it on the front glass.
Honda Jazz - My ownership report (30,000 km update on page 10)-sunscreen.jpg
Old 16th April 2011, 10:31   #128
BHPian

I hope you dont drive with the sun-screens on. But as I said, does the green glass have any positive effect??
Old 16th April 2011, 11:17   #129
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
But as I said, does the green glass have any positive effect??
Well, I wouldn't know the glass was `green' if the specifications did not mention it!
Old 17th April 2011, 02:46   #130
BHPian

Hi,
I am considering Jazz and Punto 90 HP for my first car but slightly confused between the two. While Jazz is definately more spacious and fun to drive, I am worried about the low end performance....gear ratios are not very impressive and require frequent shifts in city traffic...good part is that the engine loves it.

With Punto, not very sure of the VFM levels...engine gets quite noisy and city driving is not very comfortable.

Any comments ???
Old 17th April 2011, 10:06   #131
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixie89 View Post
Hi,
I am considering Jazz and Punto 90 HP for my first car but slightly confused between the two. While Jazz is definately more spacious and fun to drive, I am worried about the low end performance....gear ratios are not very impressive and require frequent shifts in city traffic.
Actually that's not quite true. Gears 2 and 3, specially the third gear is very versatile and will help you tackle city traffic conditions with ease.
Old 17th April 2011, 15:05   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Actually that's not quite true. Gears 2 and 3, specially the third gear is very versatile and will help you tackle city traffic conditions with ease.
akp i think 2nd gear is the best to use in city traffic. Jazz can do between 10-90 in that gear very useful in city traffic.

Our views can be different due to nature of traffic we drive in.
Old 17th April 2011, 15:12   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
akp i think 2nd gear is the best to use in city traffic. Jazz can do between 10-90 in that gear very useful in city traffic.
3rd gear is also quite useful in city traffic. One can pull from even 20 KMPH in third gear so both 2nd and 3rd gear are useful for cit driving depending on traffic conditions.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:42   #134
BHPian

Quote:
the cumulative FE figure over the entire 26000+ km stands at 14.6 kmpl.

akp what is the RPM which you noramlly shift the gears to achive 14.6kmpl. This should help me to improve some more milage for my Jazz or are there any other fuel saving tips that you will like to share.
Old 11th May 2011, 19:05   #135
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
akp what is the RPM which you normally shift the gears to achive 14.6kmpl. This should help me to improve some more milage for my Jazz or are there any other fuel saving tips that you will like to share.
Remember that figure of 14.6 is the overall average till date. The actual figures vary, from about 12 in pick summer to 15.5 or so in winter in the city. Then there are highway trips, which are in the range 18-21 if driven around 90kmph, to as low as 15 depending on driving and traffic conditions. I mentioned that overall average figure rather than city/highway figures because even within the city limits, driving condition can vary a great deal depending on which part of the city, what time and so on. Likewise for highway. But the average over a two-year period is likely to be a more robust figure.

I saw from your post in adimicra's thread that you are getting about 13.5. If you are getting that in the present weather, you are doing absolutely fine. I should be asking for tips from you in that case rather than the other way around!

Anyway, let me answer your question. While upshifting, 2000rpm is roughly the point where I change gear. Of course it depends on the actual situation, for example if I anticipate that I am about to need some rapid acceleration, I will delay upshifting a little bit. Downshifting is much more difficult to describe in such a simplistic manner. It depends so much on the actual situation, that I have to think hard if I can explain it at all.

Any tips? There are one or two things I try and follow. While in the city, I stick to a few (usually one) trusted petrol pumps. Then things like while approaching a signal, if I realize the signal is about to turn green, then I slow down well in advance in order to avoid having to come to a standstill at the signal. But I guess these are things most of us do anyway. So nothing special to offer really.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks