Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2009, 13:37   #16

Congratulations on your purchase. It is indeed the best city car for under 5lacs. As someone here pointed out earlier, the thread is incomplete without the pics.
So here we are waiting for you to upload and share a few pics of your dear ride.

Hope you have a wonderful ownership experience with your car.

Cheers.
Old 30th August 2009, 16:24   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Yup. It is Gateways at Randolph. I used to stay there from July 2007 till I came out of US on April 2009. Did you happen to spend some time there?
Yup. stayed there between 2000-2001. Apt A20. Seeing it again in that photo brought back many good memories..
Old 30th August 2009, 18:29   #18
BHPian

Pictures posted. Color is Blushing Red.

Quote:
Yes, before 1997 Mazda sported the 'flame' logo. Its only in 1997 they switched to the stylized flying M.
I was planning to open a thread on my Mazda owning experience, only concern was where to place it - long term ownership or international section. Can the mods please help in deciding?

Do post some pics of your new ride. Also, what's the color of your i10?
Thank you for your wishes. I have posted a set of exterior pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenzaracer View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. It is indeed the best city car for under 5lacs. As someone here pointed out earlier, the thread is incomplete without the pics.
So here we are waiting for you to upload and share a few pics of your dear ride.

Hope you have a wonderful ownership experience with your car.

Cheers.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th August 2009 at 19:52. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 30th August 2009, 21:44   #19
BHPian

Summary & Conclusion

Price:
Can't complain in the department. This is the cheapest car in town with AT. I paid 4.92 lacs for this baby which seems to be quite reasonable. Other bhp-ians who purchased i10 Sportz AT paid over 5 lacs but received some "freebies". I guess the price of the freebies were included in their OTR. The AT is only 40k higher than the MT.

Exterior:
Colors - There are many decent color choices. I personally liked the blushing red, oyster grey and virtual yellow.
Looks - I do not quite like hatchbacks but had to settle for one considering the traffic in Kolkata. The so-called European look is better than most hatchbacks in town but I personally like the look of Getz, Zen LX and Opel Corsa more than this.
Build Quality - Reasonable but not the best. The doors do not shut with a solid thud. Also, doors need additional dampening if you are a music lover. Otherwise outside noise is heard from inside.

Interior:
The two-toned beige interior creates a space illusion. Inside is roomy. Gearbox is comfortably placed. There is foot-rest for left foot. Upholstery is decent. Front seats have back-pockets. Also, there are drink holders for front and back passengers. I was looking for height-adjustable seats but unfortunately that comes with i20 only. Back seats are comfortably inclined. Boot space is reasonable for small luggage and shopping.

Accessories:
Music System - Decent 4 speaker system. I do not prefer loud music in car so this is more than okay for me. There is provision for plugging-in external audio through audio jack but no USB. All speakers are mounted on doors and chattering occurs at high volume.
Air Conditioning and Climate Control - Very effective and cools the inside quickly. The effect on the engine/transmission is noticeable but minimal. One problem I am having in Kolkata is during moist weather, vapor is accumulating on the outside of all the windows while running AC, which means the outside of the glass is also getting cold. I had to turn the wipers on and roll down the side windows to clear the fog. Also, the blowers inside were not quite effective in clearing the inside fog completely. I have tried with different settings/fan speeds/temperatures but nothing worked 100%. Finally had to wipe it off with a piece of cloth. Fortunately this only happens on a really humid day.
Lighting - The dome light is placed over the rearview mirror instead of the center of the ceiling which maybe inadequate for backseat passengers. Power of front headlights seem inadequate. I am finding it difficult to drive at night on dimly lit streets and planning to add the fog-lights for better visibility.
Footwear - The Bridgestone 155/80R13 tyres look skiny. I have plans to upgrade to Michelin XM1+ 175/70R13 in near future.

And finally, FE:
On my first tank, I have driven a little over 300 km. which means I got around 8.5 kmpl. This is a mix of city/highway driving and with/without AC. However, I feel it is too early to come to any conclusion regarding this. I will keep you posted on the FE as this seems to be the most bothering point for most i10 AT owners. I am expecting to hit 9-10 kmpl soon as I am getting used to the habit of switching off the engine at red signals. I normally don't but just shift to neutral.

Overall, I feel it is one of the best city cars in town today, and definitely, if you are looking for AT...look no further.
sbiswas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2009, 22:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
Summary & Conclusion

Footwear - The Bridgestone 155/80R13 tyres look skiny. I have plans to upgrade to Michelin XM1+ 175/70R13 in near future.
Do you have any plans to upgrade to alloys?
Old 31st August 2009, 08:30   #21
BHPian

hi sbiswas, congrats on owning the best and most practical AT hatch on Indian roads. It makes a perfect choice in bumper-to-bumper Kolkata traffic. About the FE, the AT is 1-2kmpl lower that the MT and that has been posted by other owners here too. Since this is the run-in period, you would get <10. But after a few services, the FE would surely increase. What the AT loses on FE, it makes up for the zippy drives and ease-of-handling in city conditions where all you would do is clutch-brake in the MT. A great choice and keep enjoying the car and drives!
P.S. I recently got a sportz AT too and am loving every bit of it!

Last edited by nnandi : 31st August 2009 at 08:32.
Old 31st August 2009, 09:58   #22
BHPian

Nope, no immediate plans to upgrade to alloys.

Quote:
Do you have any plans to upgrade to alloys?
True. I really don't mind trading off a few kms for the comfort in driving. I would be more than happy if I get around 10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnandi View Post
hi sbiswas, congrats on owning the best and most practical AT hatch on Indian roads. It makes a perfect choice in bumper-to-bumper Kolkata traffic. About the FE, the AT is 1-2kmpl lower that the MT and that has been posted by other owners here too. Since this is the run-in period, you would get <10. But after a few services, the FE would surely increase. What the AT loses on FE, it makes up for the zippy drives and ease-of-handling in city conditions where all you would do is clutch-brake in the MT. A great choice and keep enjoying the car and drives!
P.S. I recently got a sportz AT too and am loving every bit of it!
Old 31st August 2009, 10:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

I guess 175/70R13 tires are the most obvious choice when people tend to upgrade from 155/80R13, but they are not the best ones when it comes to speedo/odo accuracy. When you install 175/70R13 tires in place of 155/80R13 ones, the circumference change is -0.52%. The best tire in terms of minnimum difference in circumference is 185/60R14, with only -0.1% change.
Try this link out Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tire Bible Page 2 of 2

But installing 185/60R14 tires would mean upgrading rims to 14", which might not work out for some.

Last edited by blackasta : 31st August 2009 at 10:14.
Old 31st August 2009, 17:08   #24
BHPian

From a practical point of view, I believe <1% error is acceptable. I am planning to ride at least a year on the stock tires/rims before considering any upgrade.

Quote:
I guess 175/70R13 tires are the most obvious choice when people tend to upgrade from 155/80R13, but they are not the best ones when it comes to speedo/odo accuracy. When you install 175/70R13 tires in place of 155/80R13 ones, the circumference change is -0.52%. The best tire in terms of minnimum difference in circumference is 185/60R14, with only -0.1% change.
Try this link out Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tire Bible Page 2 of 2

But installing 185/60R14 tires would mean upgrading rims to 14", which might not work out for some.
Old 31st August 2009, 17:49   #25
BHPian

Quoting a user from another i10 FE thread, he actually observed increase in FE after tyre upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickdrive View Post
My first post on t-bhp forum...

I am the worthy i10 AT owner referred to by Gandhi in the below post. I did hear some horror stories from i10 AT owners (and also on t-bhp forums) that the car gives no more than 8-9 kmpl in the city, but I went ahead because I needed a car with AT for less than 8 lakhs.

Here's some things which I felt I must share regarding my "superior" FE experience:

1. Some conventional rules for improving FE do not apply with an auto transmission. For example, I ensure that the AT upshifts between 2500-2700 rpm and not at 2000 rpm like in a MT. The reason is (i learned it from a friend who has driven only AT cars in the US) that an AT gives better FE when it is pushed a bit. Unlike in a MT, an AT will downshift very frequently and without a real reason to do so - so it is imperative to keep the tacho in the 2200ish range as much as possible. The idea is to prevent the AT from downshifting and upshifting for every 5 kph difference in speed.

2. I changed the stock tyres to Bridgestone Turanza 175/70 R14. This has improved both stability and FE. I always felt that 80 ps was too much power for the 155 stocks and may result in loss of FE, and I have been proved right. I did nearly 300 km on the stock tyres and got a best FE of 10 kmpl in the city. I traded them in for the new shoes and see how things have turned!

3. I use the a/c like a home a/c - I don't keep it on all the time. When the cabin is sufficiently cool, I turn the a/c off and use only the blowers, and then turn the a/c back on when the temp goes up. In Bangalore, I need the a/c only to keep out the smoke and dust and hence I use it only in heavy traffic.

4. When I stop at a signal, I put the car into "P" gear and take my foot off the brake for short stops and turn off the engine for long stops. When the car is in the "D" mode, there is slight forward movement produced even without pressing the accelerator. So by keeping the car on "D" even at a signal stop, the engine is still working to produce some movement. It's arguable that this results in as many gearshifts as a MT, but the effect shows on the FE. At least you don't need to measure and press the clutch!

5. Last, but not the least, I use only Shell fuel (Shell Super Unleaded) as far as possible. I definitely feel the car to be much smoother to drive, and I get easily 20% better FE with this fuel than any other "Indian" petrol. Disadvantage, of course, is that Shell bunks are not very many and one needs to be near a metro city to get it. I would love to try Speed 97 sometime, but I don't want to pamper the car with it.

Most recent FE calculation on the highway. Bangalore-Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamundi Hill-Mysore-Bangalore, total of 366 km, fuel used 18 litres. FE = 20 kmpl! I kept the needle between 90-110 kph nearly through the journey (and even raced with a Verna CRDI along the way back, albeit a losing battle!)
Gandhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2009, 18:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on getting the i10 AT sbiswas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiswas View Post
Summary & Conclusion

[
[Accessories:

Air Conditioning and Climate Control - Very effective and cools the inside quickly. .
Does i10 AT have Automatic Climate Control or you mentioned it for manual A/c only?
Old 31st August 2009, 20:06   #27
BHPian

Yes, I have read his post. His FE figure of 20 kmpl sounds unbelievable! I had checked the i10 technical factsheets from Hyundai at the dealer before buying. It reported 17 kmpl for AT and 18 kmpl for MT. These figures must have been achieved under ideal lab conditions. I do not expect to get more than 12 kmpl under regular conditions. One thing I have noticed is that the fuel gauge is highly unreliable. I drive until the check fuel lamp comes on to measure full to full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Quoting a user from another i10 FE thread, he actually observed increase in FE after tyre upgrade.

Thank you. No, the climate control is not automatic like the i20, it is manually adjusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Congrats on getting the i10 AT sbiswas

Does i10 AT have Automatic Climate Control or you mentioned it for manual A/c only?
Old 31st August 2009, 20:35   #28
Team-BHP Support

do post further updates on the FE once you're past running in and have multiple tank ups to get a sense of consistency. It would be interesting to know what the i10 offers - have heard some divergent views on the i10 A/T FE.
Old 31st August 2009, 22:32   #29
BHPian

He has also changed his rims from 13 to 14. If he has upgraded to alloys, that would mean less weight and hence, better FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Old 31st August 2009, 23:42   #30
BHPian

Hi Biswas

In chennai..the onroad price for SPORTZ AT is 5.20 lacs.

I have booked the same - but electric red colour.

offer i have finally got

Direct cash Back - Rs 30000
Exchange Bonus - Rs 10000 (for which i need to give a copy of my old car's RC)
free bee- Auto cop & 3M sun film

so put together i paid Rs 4.80 along with above free bees..

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st September 2009 at 13:10. Reason: Removed incomplete quotes

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks