Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 02:28   #1
BHPian

Finally my Bull comes home. A TATA Safari 2.2 VTT Ex 4X2 Pearl White

Dear Friends,

I sold my verna crdi last month. It is an early 07 model which i used for 60k kms. When i brought it, i told to myself not to give her up for 10 years. when i sold it, I realized that I'm never faithful to myself. I shortlisted these cars as an upgrade.
1) Tata safari 2.2 vtt ex
2) none

One of the prime reasons why i did an upgrade is my long travelling. Since my shift in residence ( 2 km away from work ), I'm hardly doing any city driving. Fuel economy is no longer a constraint. I noticed my requirements. Here they are.

1) Comfortable drive for 5 people and occasional 7 people drive in city limits.
2) Boot space to carry virtually to carry anything. ( everytime my siblings came from or went to airport, we hired a taxi because entire baggage could not fit in verna boot)
3) Ready to go anywhere. I did not want to be so careful on bad patches.
4) Much needed SUV driver tag to myself.

I strongly feel, A Man's car should compliment his Personality. A dignified sober sedan does not suit me. I wanted some one who is brutal,big,meaner, tough and rapacious to take me wherever i wish to go.

The Deal was struck with Concorde motors dairy circle. I was in constant touch with the executive, the Bank Loan guy ( Federal ), safari owners in team-bhp. The PDI was done at the Hosur road yard. The sales guys completely denied a PDI to us. By now, everyone knows the sales guys at concorde. False updates, no answering calls, no return calls etc. Apparently, the sales guys are told by TATA not to send customers to yard. However, I found out that it was true. My special thanks to DEV here who pitched in here took me to the Service Head at concorde and helped me do a thorough PDI. No issues found. I am happy.

The Delivery date 30-sept arrived. My parents told me its an auspicious day which is really special. It was sunday. At 10 am, My wife and I took an auto from indira nagar. On the way, we purchased some flowers, agarbathis etc.. ( the usual pujari at concorde is off on sundays). The vehicle was in the workshop getting dressed to come home while we finished documental formalities. The executive handed over the keys and a bunch of concorde guys stand to wish me happy motoring with a huge blue flag. They made me feel really special. Did i mention that the concorde guys very unprofessional a little earlier ? But Despite that, the sales executive was a nice chap. Here goes the discounts and freebies

Cash discount = Rs. 35,000 ( inclusive of corporate disc ).
Freebies = Reverge gear parking sensor, Lumar platinum sun film.
Insurance = Rs. 20,166 for 100% ex shoroom price as IDV ( Bajaj allianz. Please get in touch with me or Happywheels. No other company was able to match this )
Handling charges = ~5000

Its perfect 10 L on road. No extended warranty taken yet.

Now, Things i like
1) Big guy. I love its presence and attention it gets
2) Comfort. My wife loves the arm rest in the front seats.
3) Ride. I can go over the humps, potholes with a lot of ease.
4) Drivability. I have excellent front view and the mirrors on the side cover a huge distance
5) Looks. Its Legendary. A killer.
6) Fog lamps. unexpectedly useful. I found them dumb in verna
7) Tall seating. Trucks and buses no longer look very big. small cars and sedan look tiny.

Things i dont like
1) Gear shift is terrible
2) The refinement, feel of a sedan clearly missing
3) city driving requires a lot of alertness. I cant take it across the lanes. Despite the vtt, i miss the initial punch of the verna here.
4) Interiors are sad. No comments
5) squeaking and minor rattling. You don't expect from a brand new one.
6) The panel gaps. Its visible everywhere.
7) Doors not easy to operate. Feels like a truck.

But then i was aware of these and was well prepared for it. The vehicle was 54 kms driven when i drove from concorde. I got it fuelled at Shell. It could contain 62 litres. Its 145 kms at the end of two days.

Sun film chosen is darkest shade available. Lumar platinum series steel 05 is the make and model. I was apprehensive about the drive at night. But so far so good. It gets impossible to look through when any lights are on inside the cabin. The door glasses start reflecting like a mirror. otherwise it is perfect. But concorde calls some other shops and get the people to do it. Not a good job. No different from any ordinary J.C road folks. They left their traces on the interiors. I got them cleaned later on.

I have listed down some issues which i want to post. All in phases. watch this space.My Regards to Freewheelburnin, Happywheels, Dev, bkishore_77 and Team-bhp.

Last edited by blackbeast : 1st September 2009 at 02:34. Reason: wanted to add model name to the thread topic
Old 1st September 2009, 02:47   #2
BHPian

Before some one asks for pics, here are the few.
Attached Thumbnails
Finally my Bull comes home. A TATA Safari 2.2 VTT Ex 4X2 Pearl White-dscf1347.jpg  

Finally my Bull comes home. A TATA Safari 2.2 VTT Ex 4X2 Pearl White-dscf1354.jpg  

Finally my Bull comes home. A TATA Safari 2.2 VTT Ex 4X2 Pearl White-dscf1370.jpg  

Finally my Bull comes home. A TATA Safari 2.2 VTT Ex 4X2 Pearl White-dscf1383.jpg  

Finally my Bull comes home. A TATA Safari 2.2 VTT Ex 4X2 Pearl White-dscf1379.jpg  

Finally my Bull comes home. A TATA Safari 2.2 VTT Ex 4X2 Pearl White-dscf1378.jpg  

Old 1st September 2009, 02:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Blackbeast on buying this white beast. hehe

Now serious advice, please buy Extended Warranty its a must with TATA and its so cheap and total peace of mind till 4 yrs.

post some pics with the sunfilm too.

happy mile munching
Old 1st September 2009, 07:46   #4
BHPian

Hi ,
Congrats on the New Beast !!!

Can you please post more pics for the interiors, i see the middle row pic missing from the list above.

Cheers !!
Old 1st September 2009, 11:14   #5
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Blackbeast, congrats on the white beast. She looks awesome. I agree the interiors look bland, but I've seen a Safari with the centre console cover (?) replaced with a carbon-fibre type - looks great...maybe its aftermarket, not sure though. Seat covers are must if you want the interiors to last Happy motoring !
Old 1st September 2009, 11:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Blackbeast on your purchase of The King, now what are you waiting for start reclaiming your life.

Quote:
I strongly feel, A Man's car should compliment his Personality. A dignified sober sedan does not suit me. I wanted some one who is brutal,big,meaner, tough and rapacious to take me wherever i wish to go
So now can we have pictures of both together (Man & Machine)
Old 1st September 2009, 13:15   #7
BHPian

Congrats Dude.... In hindsight, don't you feel whatever happened(citi Carz incident) happened for good. Now enjoy the beast. . Though you have time to purchase the extended warranty till the base warranty expires, extended warranty is a must as already mentioned above.

The dark tints definitely hampers the vision at dusk(when vehicles are yet to switch on the head lights) and when it rains. It's just my opinion.
Old 1st September 2009, 13:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

blackbeast, congratulations on your white machine, looks good.Yes you do feel manly riding that high and a huge car like this.Keep updating and post more interiors pictures.Add seat covers too to keep them long lasting.Lastly also post your on road price after discounts and pictures after sunfilm installed.
teambhp is having showers of tata safari,i feel company should give some loyalty or special discounts/some addons to owners.

Last edited by vijaythacker : 1st September 2009 at 13:24.
Old 1st September 2009, 13:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations BB, enjoy the ride. What is the brand of reverse sensors they fitted, doesnt look like the OEM GX one as it has only 2 pods.

Last edited by dadu : 1st September 2009 at 13:26.
Old 1st September 2009, 13:41   #10
BHPian

Congrats blackbeast on the buy. Your ID should be whitebeast now!!
Old 1st September 2009, 15:24   #11
BHPian

Congrats on the new big guy beast, is the vehicle running while you took the photo of the speedo? it seems like it is already showing apprx 10Km/hr
Old 1st September 2009, 15:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

congrats on one of the best looking SUVs available in India. Safari is no doubt big, spacious inside and gets way on the road from other vehicles.

White will get you more respect. Just have one Indian flag on the beast. What are the accessories planned on this ?
Old 1st September 2009, 19:44   #13
BHPian

blackbeast: Congratz on your buy & Njoy your ride..

~Gops
Old 1st September 2009, 20:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Blackbeast on your purchase of umm Should I say "Whitebeast"?
Happy miles of driving.
Old 1st September 2009, 20:44   #15
BANNED

Hey congratulations on your new ride. Superb choice of colour.

Tell me one thing though - are you happy with that spare wheel cover?

Most Viewed