Team-BHP - My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta Grey after 1300kms in 5wks
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta Grey after 1300kms in 5wks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/64823-my-hyundai-i20-crdi-asta-grey-after-1300kms-5wks.html)

I got it all thats my i20 CRDi fifth ever delivered out of Hyundai dealers across AP. I was of course closely watching since so long for the release of this super stylish powerful yet efficient hatchback to come in diesel variant and so quickly diverted my paid booking amount from petrol to diesel in 1st week of july itself.

I love this car so badly coz . . .

> Its my car, I bought it, I drive it
> Its big and stylish body with curves makes it stand out of other smalls.
> Its Hyundai Hatch, so I don’t have to say @#!&*%$ on its resale value.
> Overtaking others when required is as simple as riding in a playstation.
> Moreover its 5star safety that gives me addl confidence at top gear.
> Easy to handle EPS that puts on weight only on high speeds.
> It has one of the best dashboards available and as good as the 1 in Jazz.
> Interiors are quite appealing with rich plastics and dual beige tone.
> USB Ready Plug n Play, Tripmeters, Classy leather steer & its controls.
> Audi look alike LED Strips on Front and Rear Lights added by Me!

I feel sad sometimes with my decision coz
> I could only extract FE of 12-13kmpl even after its 1st service.
> Torque is almost dead under 1.9k rpm or under 20kmph in 2nd gear and under 40kmph in 3rd gear.
> Reverse Gear with knob is not as smooth as other gear shifts.
> Missing tweeters on remote locking makes my eyes search long in parking lots. Of course it’s easy to identify this alien car
> AC sometimes seems to be dishonest with its display temperatures. I better restart my car to make it work effectively and it does (might be ma delusion)
> Even having the AC ON you don’t get the cooling until you start ignition (Nothing Strange).
> Though I like it, sometimes you are too young or too old to wear a co-driver seat belt for which there is no option to switch off the warning beep that irritates every one sitting in the car.
> No Average Fuel Consumption display which is infact a big disappointment for me.

Inspite of anything it really is the best premier diesel hatchback available in India (As stated by NDTV Autocar review)

My 1st Service Complaints: :Frustrati
> Screamed for justification on Diesel variant for shredding lakhs without even getting 2-3kmpl more over petrol variants 12kmpl – Scheduled for a FE Test next week.
> Turbo lags under low rpms, I can even walk faster for a moment if the speed falls below 5kmph on a slight upslope - Improved a bit after service.
> One of the front wipers was shuddering with little noise when used – Fixed in no time.
They suggested me against changing engine oil before 5k reading and charged nothing for this 1st service. Advised me to get the anti rust coating under the car at the earliest as it is heavily raining these days here in Hyderabad. Quoted 1000 bucks for the new FM antenna as some idiots stolen my cars antenna at public parking.

I Love to share more about my i20 CRDi here but some time again :)

Note from Team BHP Support

Post edited: The use of excessive smilies is strictly prohibited on Team BHP. We would advise you to go through the rules of the forum before proceeding further.

My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta Grey after 1300kms in 5wks-dsc0064j.jpg

Name:  i20l.gif
Views: 12117
Size:  153.8 KB

My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta Grey after 1300kms in 5wks-dsc0058ej.jpg

My Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta Grey after 1300kms in 5wks-dsc0061cl.jpg

Note from Team-BHP Support : Please note that it is imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here to view our simple help article on uploading pictures. Thanks.

did u put in the LEDs as an aftermarket fitting? looks cool, but certainly deserves a better photo shoot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackasta (Post 1467646)
did u put in the LEDs as an aftermarket fitting? looks cool, but certainly deserves a better photo shoot!

Yup agree:, But I had trouble taking quality pics with those lights on. Will post them for sure.

The FE of 12 kmpl is a concern. I was thinking that i20 would be more fuel efficient than Getz CRDi because iof its less power.

Even though there are so many attributes that contribute to FE, have you tried with Shell diesel? (If you already preferring Shell well and good)

About the turbolag

Try not to floor the accelerator when you're in lag- that wastes fuel and destroys the mileage. also all the power comes on in a rush when the turbo kicks in making a jerky ride. i got the feeling that it actually slows the car down if you floor it when in lag

better to downshift, and progressively increase accelerator input as you feel the car responding.
You probably know this already, but try and make full use of whatever momentum.

keeping the revs between 2k and 3k will be the healthiest for your engine, transmission and mileage. its also good for performance.

letting revs drop below 2 is useful only in thick traffic where you can let the low end torque near idle pull you along.

Congrats ! Looks cool in that LED's. Whats the cost? is it legal?

Congrats on the car, gotovamsee! If I may suggest, look at the positives of the car instead of breaking your head over things like the FE (which is respectable for a new car) etc. No car out there is perfect.....just drive, focus on the good (as you yourself have listed out) and enjoy your i20.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotovamsee (Post 1467255)
I could only extract FE of 12-13kmpl even after its 1st service.

Still a good figure. Will only improve once you log on 5,000 kms.

Quote:

> Torque is almost dead under 1.9k rpm or under 20kmph in 2nd gear and under 40kmph in 3rd gear.
The one negative of the i20 diesel is its turbolag. Will take you a little getting used to. Hey, the one in my Indigo is much worse and my style now is to drive around it.

Quote:

Screamed for justification on Diesel variant for shredding lakhs without even getting 2-3kmpl more over petrol variants 12kmpl – Scheduled for a FE Test next week.
A note : don't go screaming into workshops. Firstly, like I stated earlier, your FE is good for a brand new car and will only improve once the engine settles in. Second, service advisors are also human beings and like being treated well. Give them a chance first & understand the issue at hand. Unreasonably demanding customers seldom get good service.

Congrats on the car, gotovamsee! enjoy the drive !

Quote 'Torque is almost dead under 1.9k rpm or under 20kmph in 2nd gear and under 40kmph in 3rd gear'

Typical diesel engine charecteristics. Its best to slowly warm up the engine by idling at start for about 1min followed by driving in low gears.
Wait till the engine block warms up and use higher shift points to improve driving performance. Using the AC loads the engine and speeds up warming at a cost of FE.

Diesels perform much better on load and after warmup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aarman_008 (Post 1467725)
The FE of 12 kmpl is a concern. I was thinking that i20 would be more fuel efficient than Getz CRDi because iof its less power.

Even though there are so many attributes that contribute to FE, have you tried with Shell diesel? (If you already preferring Shell well and good)

I too prefer Diesel @ Shell, thats the only time I see my i20 touching a FE of close 13. Even I suspected my own driving to extract maximum mileage and scheduled for a Mileage Test at Workshop next week.

@gotovamsee
Please check, i have sent you a PM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rippergeo (Post 1467726)
About the turbolag

Try not to floor the accelerator when you're in lag- that wastes fuel and destroys the mileage. also all the power comes on in a rush when the turbo kicks in making a jerky ride. i got the feeling that it actually slows the car down if you floor it when in lag

better to downshift, and progressively increase accelerator input as you feel the car responding.
You probably know this already, but try and make full use of whatever momentum.

keeping the revs between 2k and 3k will be the healthiest for your engine, transmission and mileage. its also good for performance.

letting revs drop below 2 is useful only in thick traffic where you can let the low end torque near idle pull you along.

Yup you said it right progressive revving is what we do to overcome this turbo lag. Infact throttle wise i20 CRDi is much better than many diesel cars on flat roads. My major concern is that at slight up slopes (lets say after a spd brkr) when low end torque is taking time to pick up with progressive revving it coughs down badly to survive ignition that I can even hear and feel indoor. In little more slopes If I don't get down to 1st gear it would stop I guess.

I heard this would slighly improve after I change Engine oil in my 2nd service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildon (Post 1467735)
Congrats ! Looks cool in that LED's. Whats the cost? is it legal?

Need not worry on legality of LED Strip as this is a simple 5 min stick and connect job. It would cost at 1.5k per meter strip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeepItSimple (Post 1468440)
Congrats on the car, gotovamsee! enjoy the drive !

Quote 'Torque is almost dead under 1.9k rpm or under 20kmph in 2nd gear and under 40kmph in 3rd gear'

Typical diesel engine charecteristics. Its best to slowly warm up the engine by idling at start for about 1min followed by driving in low gears.
Wait till the engine block warms up and use higher shift points to improve driving performance. Using the AC loads the engine and speeds up warming at a cost of FE.

Diesels perform much better on load and after warmup.

When you compare this to Verna's better known VGT engine the turbo lag is not as apparant as in i20's VFT Engine which is much refined for fuel economy at lower speeds. But once you reach 2k rpm the turbo kick is no smaller than we get in more powerful verna. My only concern with the turbo lag is on over 10 degree angular roads where I cannot effectively use 2nd gear from low end rpms. I frequently drive in valley areas like Banjara Hills, Madhapur in Hyd where I had trouble driving the car without hearing many honks at the back.

I forgot to add one very handy first of its kind feature in hatchbacks i.e electrically adjustable and foldable OVRM. This really comes to a fantastic use.

@vamsee- downshift to 1st if necessary at speed bumps. dont lug the car in 2nd. also when climbing slopes, use the revs that the hyundai diesels have and upshift late so that you stay above 2000rpm at all times. this car will rev beautifully to 4.5krpm without any issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotovamsee (Post 1472223)
I forgot to add one very handy first of its kind feature in hatchbacks i.e electrically adjustable and foldable OVRM. This really comes to a fantastic use.

Yeah only problem is you cannt close only one of the two mirrors. You would mostly not want left side mirror kept open in bumper to bumper traffic. How I wish it was possible to close one of the mirrors individually. :Frustrati