Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 23:39   #31
Team-BHP Support

Nice writeup Hoopoe. Having a Scorpio and an Innova in our family, I can totally identify with your thoughts between the Scorpio and the Innova.
The new Scorpio is quite the 2009 you would expect out of it, compared to my previous 2004 Scorpio, the only downside being the extreme cost cutting strategy adopted by M & M for all things plastic.
The Scorpio is almost as reliable as your Qualis probably was, and I can tell you from experience you would not be let down one bit in the form of long term ownership experience.

manson.
Old 18th September 2009, 09:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
... I can tell you from experience you would not be let down one bit in the form of long term ownership experience.
Thank you Manson for your kind words. Yes, I am really looking forward to a long and cherished relationship with the Scorp. The bonus I feel I have got is all you friends who think alike and have endorsed this feeling.

I read you King's 100000 report and was amazed at your love for it. You wrote "With the Scorpio, I have had an ownership experience that I would describe as nothing short of superb, buying one has been one of the best automotive decisions I have probably made." and this has inspired me even more.

I must say that before Scorpio my everyday commute to the office and back was a drag. I had started hating it. With Scorpio, the drive is what I look forward to as soon as I wake up and the long jams at time make me happy that I am getting more time with her. I think this capacity to bond is the strength of this car.
Old 21st September 2009, 15:23   #33
BHPian

Ok. Here's an update after 1700km. The car is doing fine and is adjusting to my driving style. I had a bit of an issue with the charging lamp remaining on even after start on the cold morning but it disappears as soon as a little throttle is given. I got the entire electrical system checked by Mahindra guys (who, incidentally, were courteous and respectful. They even washed the vehicle and gave me the car in sparkling condition. I noticed that they had covered the front seats with a nice plastic cover). Apparently, the output is good and it's just that the charging is just at the threshold during cold start that makes the light remain on. They said that the'll recheck if the problem remains till first service.
I also got the clutch adjusted and lubricated so it is very smooth now. The gear shifting has perceptibly improved in the last few days and engine has also become smoother and happier after the first run-in period.

Some observations:
1. The screws on the rear spoiler (roof mounted) are already corroding. Mahindra needs to check the quality of these things since for a tough vehicle like Scorpio the quality of fasteners and parts is very crucial.
2. The AC and recirculating switches on the middle console are too small to be ergonomically effective. One needs to take the attention off road and search for them to operate them. They can be easily made bigger (thumb size should be the thumb rule)
3. The fuel lid switch is positioned on the left (away from driver). It should be closer and more accessible to the driver.
4. The driver and co-passenger seats both have the adjustment lever (below the seat) on the right. Driver's should be located on the left side as is norm on other cars.
5. The door hinges and key holes were sticky. I used WD40 to loosen them. I think Mahindra can add this little step in the assembly and not rely on the supplier's ability to provide properly lubricated parts.
6. Glove box door requires a small bang to close.
7. No fuel lid slot or string provided (the Baleno has a slot on the fuel lid where opened lid can be securely placed while refuelling is carried out. Innova had a plastic string attached to the lid. Qualis had a metal lid that was also loose). The lid does have a pivot to attach a string. It will be easy to attach it to body.
8. The forward sloping roof makes rainwater splash the entire windscreen, especially when braking, thereby needing to run the wipers at fast speed. I habitually like the wipers to be used only when really necessary. I think a flatter roof design (without the current modulation) would be ideal. Also, water channels can be done away with and replaced with the plastic channels currently in vogue.
9. The doors have excellent sealing. I usually open a door before closing the rear door just to avoid needing to bang it hard.
10. The window motors do not have an auto-cut mechanism. Its a small cost saving but makes the window motors whine a bit when windows are closed and the button remains pressed.
11. There are two excellent 12V points for charging phones. Front one is also backlit. Unfortunately, the plastic cover doesn't permit light through and therefore makes it difficult to locate in the night. Looks like Mahindra can simply spec the parts correctly and this problem can be solved.
12. Brakes have improved a great deal (as the manual said that the new brakes need breaking-in)
13. Acceleration has also improved. I once scared an overtaking City by simply pressing the accelerator and zooming ahead of it. City chap was aghast at the maneuver.
14. Overall city fuel efficiency is between 13 and 15kmpl.

Last edited by Hoopoe : 21st September 2009 at 15:25.
Old 21st September 2009, 16:28   #34
BHPian

Nice report. And some great city fuel efficiency numbers. I'm sure it has got a great deal to do with your driving style, 'cos most people wil not get the same kind of mileage even with the same engine. Let us also know so that we can all benefit.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:07   #35
BHPian

Congrats on your acquisition mate. Good thing you didnt listen to the others while making your purchase. M&M have really worked on the Scorp and improved it.

And have to say the mileage figures are quite amazing really. May you enjoy a long affair with the beast.
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:18   #36
BHPian

I usually get good mileage out of my vehicles. It is perhaps because I tend to be a 'cool' driver (but not slow by any standard). Here's how I drive:
1. I like to drive in straight lane without zig-zag. The middle-most lane for me is the best.
2. I try to predict stops (like coming up signals) and vary speeds accordingly. If a red light is approaching I will usually decelarate sufficiently using the engine inertia (this is why, perhaps, I love Diesels)
3. I drive at constant speeds and that usually is the comfortable speed in 5th gear (if possible)
4. The fuel stations from where I get fuel are usually select ones where I can be assured of the quality (except, of course, while travelling to unknown places)
5. Tyre pressure is kept at optimum.
6. I try to park cars at good parking places even if I need to walk more. I CP, New Delhi, I always park in underground Parking. The chances of fuel stealing are low in such places.
7. I try to keep the RPM in the most optimum zone (subconsciously). For Diesels it is usually between 1500 to 2500RPM.
8. Keep a safe distance from vehicles in front and make sure one is able to see road condition and avoid jerky stops/bumps.
9. Keep a close watch on any noises, coolant temperature and engine oil condition.
10. I don't turn off the engine/AC at redlight halts.
11. I give the engine time to warm up during cold start by driving gently without AC. I don't keep it running in idle for warmup, though. Once the engine has warmed a bit then I turn on the AC and accelerate hard.
12. I try to leave early for work to avoid traffic (around 7:30am) and keep the music on while driving.

My Baleno gives me 14-15kmpl in city driving with AC. The same car with our driver fetches 11-12kmpl.

It might interest you that the stock tyres on my Qualis were first replaced only when the vehicle had done 100000km. The tubeless I installed later were still doing good service at 160000 when I sold it. The brake pads were *never* replaced. And it is not the vehicle hadn't traveled much. That car was driven all over India and had been to Sangla many time, had crossed Jalori pass a few times and except for northeast, Ladakh and far South had seem most of the primary highways of the country.
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:07   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I don't turn off the engine/AC at redlight halts.
Not turning off the engine/AC helps improve the mileage? Does it not help save fuel if u expect a long wait at the signals and turn the engine off?

Quote:
I give the engine time to warm up during cold start by driving gently without AC. I don't keep it running in idle for warmup, though. Once the engine has warmed a bit then I turn on the AC and accelerate hard.
I run my vehicle at idle for around a minute or so before i make a move. Keep the AC off all this while. Is that OK?

Quote:
My Baleno gives me 14-15kmpl in city driving with AC. The same car with our driver fetches 11-12kmpl.
Good. We should all try to extract the max from our cars. The least we can do to help save the planet.

Quote:
It might interest you that the stock tyres on my Qualis were first replaced only when the vehicle had done 100000km. The tubeless I installed later were still doing good service at 160000 when I sold it. The brake pads were *never* replaced. And it is not the vehicle hadn't traveled much. That car was driven all over India and had been to Sangla many time, had crossed Jalori pass a few times and except for northeast, Ladakh and far South had seem most of the primary highways of the country.
[/quote]

Wow. Those numbers are probably even more amazing than the fuel efficiency numbers. Good work.
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
lovely write up. congrats on the LX

as an owner myself I entirely appreciate your views.

let the unbelievers amongst us say what they want - I still love my Scorpio and believe strongly in the Mahindra committment to its customers!

great choice and the Scorpio will not let you down when it comes to the crunch!

cheerio!
+1 to that, Shankar. I've had 77,000 Km of fun so far with mine! Give her a little love & attention every Sunday and she'll stay faithful for years. Hoopoe, congrats on your choice.

Cheers,
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr;
Not turning off the engine/AC helps improve the mileage? Does it not help save fuel if u expect a long wait at the signals and turn the engine off?
Well, all I was trying to say was that I am not sqeezing everything out. Comfort is still one of my main priorities. The car is run normally only I avoid *abusing* it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr;
I run my vehicle at idle for around a minute or so before i make a move. Keep the AC off all this while. Is that OK?
I do not wait for warmup on most days for more than 5-10 seconds but simply move off gently without stressing the engine. I do not accelerate hard, do not run the AC and wait for the engine temperature to rise a bit.

Last edited by Hoopoe : 22nd September 2009 at 17:15.
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:21   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
+1 to that, Shankar. I've had 77,000 Km of fun so far with mine! Give her a little love & attention every Sunday and she'll stay faithful for years. Hoopoe, congrats on your choice.
Hi Roshun. Thanks and yes, care and respect for the vehicle—as if you are treating a living being—is the key. The so called inanimate product will amaze you with feats one can never imagine.
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

lovely write up on the reasons to choose. The scorpio is no doubt very popular across all places - urban + rural.

It can handle all kinds of terrrains and with mHawk is a breeze to drive. Look forward to some of your travelogues.
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

Hats-off dude,you are extracting the mileage of a diesel hatch from the mighty scorpio.
I do follow the same while driving in the city.People tend to throttle more even knowing that we need to stop after few meters.
+1 also avoid frequent unnecessary gear shift(right acceleration in right gear)
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:59   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
Hi Roshun. Thanks and yes, care and respect for the vehicle—as if you are treating a living being—is the key. The so called inanimate product will amaze you with feats one can never imagine.
HI
Thanks for putting on such a wonderful article. The presentation style is true professional. I have lot of admiration for Mahindra, the way they manage the company with clear foresight and aim is amazing. Would love to work there someday and be part of a truely global indian brand (currently works in projects of Japanese/ German OEM's). M&M puts lots of brains in their products, probably that is what that keeps them apart from other indian companies. ET talks that by 2020, 1 Indian company will be in list of top 5 automotive brands. M&M?
Had driven Xlylo recently. There are lot of negatives in that car like quality of plastics, door handles etc. But engine is great and you can drive around the vehicle just like a car. In the end what matters is that. Other things could be improved anytime. TATA should also learn that aspect from M&M.
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:27   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiarider View Post
Had driven Xlylo recently. There are lot of negatives in that car like quality of plastics, door handles etc. But engine is great and you can drive around the vehicle just like a car. In the end what matters is that. Other things could be improved anytime. TATA should also learn that aspect from M&M.
I believe that the coming time will be of Indians if they can put their act together and focus on quality. The only problem with Indian attitude is short-sightedness and lack of quality focus. But that is changing and, thankfully, the international competition is enabling companies like M&M to discover that they can get over this hurdle. I am sure you can make a great career with companies like M&M.
I agree that plastic quality is not very important. But, mind you, it is important in the way that it is easy to overcome. It is just the question of having the right finishing touch. Just the way M&M has done a great job with the engine and drivetrain refinement, they can easily bring refinements and ergonomic efficiency in the other aspects of their products. Then these awesome machines will have no comparison.
Old 24th September 2009, 10:45   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Hoopoe (by the way, what is the meaning of hoopoe?) - the alternator will start charging at a speed slightly more than engine idling speed. It is designed to work that way. As you will of course press the accelerator pedal to drive, this gets taken care. However, when you idle at a traffic signal etc, the engine speed returns to idling but the alternator will still continue to charge by design.

I have noted all your observations for needful. Thank you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks