Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 10:53   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

hey Roshun
wozzup?
you probably know that a good old mutual friend of ours has just bought himself a Rocky Beige Bolero to do the "city to estate" run every now and then.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshun View Post
+1 to that, Shankar. I've had 77,000 Km of fun so far with mine! Give her a little love & attention every Sunday and she'll stay faithful for years. Hoopoe, congrats on your choice.

Cheers,
Old 24th September 2009, 12:32   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Hoopoe (by the way, what is the meaning of hoopoe?) - the alternator will start charging at a speed slightly more than engine idling speed. It is designed to work that way. As you will of course press the accelerator pedal to drive, this gets taken care. However, when you idle at a traffic signal etc, the engine speed returns to idling but the alternator will still continue to charge by design. I have noted all your observations for needful. Thank you.
Dear Behram, Thanks for looking into it. In fact, I have never been too bothered about the light part since its a phenomenon only at cold start and that too goes away at the very slight press of the accelerator. Most people wouldn't even notice it. It is good to know that it is 'as designed' and now assures me that the vehicle is in perfect condition (after the clutch has been fixed).

Hoopoe is a very interesting bird, like a woodpecker, endemic to these parts of the world. As a kid, I remember, there were many around but they later almost completely disappeared. I started spotting them again a couple of years ago and these spottings are timed with the resurrections in my heart of my old love for automobiles and footloose wanderings. While creating a login name I thought it would be a nice touch (and different from most people's icons of wheels and engines).

To know more about Hoopoe please refer to the wikipedia: Hoopoe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers
Old 25th September 2009, 16:09   #48
BHPian

Nice OP

@Hoopoe: Really Nice OP! ... really liked the idea of your bliss with the Scorpio you bought and your Scorpio too liking you and trying to please you! ... well said!!

Your post has sold me on buying a similar model Scorpio. I may not be able to afford a new one. But will try and buy a good pre-owned one, maybe?

Cheers, Kesri

Last edited by kesri : 25th September 2009 at 16:27.
Old 25th September 2009, 16:31   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesri View Post
I may not be able to afford a new one. But will try and buy a good pre-owned one, maybe?
OT: @kesri - I saw a 2005 Scorpio SLX for sale in the TBHP classifieds, which looked pretty decent. Check it out: Team-BHP Classifieds - 2005 Mahindra Scorpio SLX CRDe - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 25th September 2009, 17:05   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
OT: @kesri - I saw a 2005 Scorpio SLX for sale in the TBHP classifieds, which looked pretty decent. Check it out: Team-BHP Classifieds - 2005 Mahindra Scorpio SLX CRDe - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Cheers,
Vikram
Vikram ... thanks! will check it out.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:02   #51
BHPian

This is a post I have been waiting to write for many weeks now.

This is the 7500km update of the Scorpio. I have completed this mileage in just a little over 3 months, which is phenomenal considering that our Innova V had done just 12500 in 15 months, most of it in the hands of our driver. And, BTW, almost all of this mileage is with me at the steering.

The vehicle's handling has perceptibly 'improved' during this period. Brakes have become firm and precise, the engine has smoothed to a 'healthier 'purr', acceleration has improved very slightly, NVH has subsides, diesel mileage has improved and gears have become somewhat smoother (after the gearbox heats up).

The first service was not a very pleasant experience since it took my whole day and some nagging issues were yet not touched. Being used to pampering attention by the likes of Toyota's service guys I felt the handling of customers and vehicles by Mahindra's Noida service/dealer lacked a touch of quality-orientation and class.

Nevertheless, I am happy with the vehicle as a dandy would be with a rustic rural beauty ready to serve him with her life. Leaving the minor issues (small rattles, inferior plastics and some lack of fit and finish) the vehicle overall is awesome in its capabilities and truly fun in its eagerness to please. I know some people rant about issues such as hand rest's awkward position or errors in its tyre-pressure sensors, I bought the vehicle just for its true capabilities and its no nonsense design. That was why I chose LX and boy am I happy about that decision.

We took several long trips (Jaipur, Jaisalmer and Amritsar) and they were all few of my best driving experiences. The vehicle always performed well, the highway manners are awesome, there was seldom much fatigue and it seemed it was brilliantly designed for the Indian conditions. At Amritsar I drove both my Scorp and my friend's Fortuner. I felt Fortuner a pain in the crowded areas and my wife felt it uncomfortable to sit in.

As a daily commute Scorp has scored full points and now it is the first thing I look forward to. I think I have started to like the idea of driving long for my work (I started hating driving when last year we moved farther away from my office). Here are some facts and a few photos:

1. Total mileage: 7560 (as on Dec 8 2009)
2. Fuel efficiency: 15.4 km/ltr under city conditions (almost same on highway)
3. Max speed achieved: 125km/hr between Jodhpur-Jaisalmer
4. Longest non-stop drive (680km between Delhi and Jodhpur done in 9 hours with minor stops)
5. Nagging issues: rear seat rattle (I need to find time to fix it), The cold start makes battery light remain on (this problem has increased a bit and it is found that current from alternator is <13V at this time. Need to get this fixed but I am not finding time).
Old 8th December 2009, 12:18   #52
BHPian

Here are some photos
Attached Thumbnails
New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-art_deco.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-at_pokharan2.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-at_pokharan.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-desert.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-haveli_jaisalmer.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-in_desert.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-jaisalmer_fort.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-jaisalmer_tank2.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-jaisalmer_tank.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-kishangarh.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-kuldhara.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-local.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-pal_haveli.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-phool_kishangarh.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-phool_mahal.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-railway_crossing.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-reaching_jodhpur.jpg  

New Scorpio LX—Bliss of contentment-way2jaisalmer.jpg  

Hoopoe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2009, 13:57   #53
Senior - BHPian

wow those are some splendid pictures man.Beast parked along with white tent and sand looks superb.
Old 8th December 2009, 14:16   #54
Senior - BHPian

Dude the snaps looks superb. The one with a lorry where you beast is telling "leave me space or else i will be on you" is a good one
Old 8th December 2009, 16:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

Nice photos! Hoopoe, you have a great eye for visuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
I bought the vehicle just for its true capabilities and its no nonsense design. That was why I chose LX and boy am I happy about that decision.
Agree 100%. I plan to buy a Scorpio sometime early next year, and am keen on the LX variant. I feel it's the best looking among all the Scorpios, probably as I prefer the cladding less looks on it. IMHO, the only important feature missing in it is a rear wiper; can't fathom why M & M hasn't provided that in the LX.

EDIT: Is this a Silver coloured Scorpio or a Rocky Beige one?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 8th December 2009 at 16:05.
Old 8th December 2009, 16:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

In LX you wont get Micro Hybrid Technology, Electrically operated ,ORVMs,Tyre-tronics,intellipark,Smart Rain Sensor,Smart light sensor,Voice assist system, vehicle security system & remote locking/unlocking,2 DIN Audio system with CD/MP3 player & Bluetooth, USB & SD Card compatibility,Cruise control & Audio control,Smart window (Anti-pinch, Driver side only),Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and many other features. Just goto :: Welcome to Mahindra Scorpio Refresh :: and check the features that are available in LX.
Old 8th December 2009, 16:19   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
In LX you wont get Micro Hybrid Technology........and many other features. Just goto :: Welcome to Mahindra Scorpio Refresh :: and check the features that are available in LX.
I can live without all these gizmos in a vehicle. As I said, the absence of a rear wiper is the only thing that bothers me. It doesn't make a difference when it's not raining; but during monsoons, compromised rear vision, specially while driving on highways is an invitation to disaster.

EDIT: @ shishir_bn: I'd already gone through the M & M Scorpio site with a fine tooth comb. Thanks for the link, anyway! :-)

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 8th December 2009 at 16:22.
Old 8th December 2009, 16:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I can live without all these gizmos in a vehicle. As I said, the absence of a rear wiper is the only thing that bothers me. It doesn't make a difference when it's not raining; but during monsoons, compromised rear vision, specially while driving on highways is an invitation to disaster.

EDIT: @ shishir_bn: I'd already gone through the M & M Scorpio site with a fine tooth comb. Thanks for the link, anyway! :-)

Cheers,
Vikram
Superb dude your's and my choice are same. Then book your BEAST and have fun
Old 8th December 2009, 17:28   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Superb dude your's and my choice are same.
Choices are the same?? Do I smell a new Scorp by Shishir as well??
Old 8th December 2009, 17:37   #60
Senior - BHPian

Ya Dev trying to stretch my legs for this BEAST(lots of commitment, but can't help seeing it on the road when others drive). Sorry Hoopoe for hijacking the thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks