Team-BHP - I'm Imprezzed !!! (Subaru Impreza)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   I'm Imprezzed !!! (Subaru Impreza) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/65673-im-imprezzed-subaru-impreza.html)

I decided to ditch my Lancer on Wednesday for this 2008 Subaru Impreza. I got it almost fully loaded with the Sport Package, which had options like heated front seats, 6 CD changer, 16" factory alloys, more speakers etc. over the standard equipment.

I had been long considering getting a newer car, something which is sporty and at the same time has a character to it. I had looked into a Mustang GT (2006/07), a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T (Hemi V8) and a Volkswagen Jetta. Both the Mustang and the Charger were high mileage cars in my price range and there was no warranty left on them either. So in the end, I was kinda split up between a Jetta, a Mazda 3 and an Impreza, all 2008 models with some warranty left on them.

Then on a trip to the Mitsubishi dealership for some servicing on my Lancer, I noticed this Impreza on the Subaru dealership lot which is right beside the Mitsubishi one, and instantly fell in love with it. It had everything I was looking for, great handling, decent power with lots of low end torque, AWD, a great chassis, and that monster 2.5L boxer engine. In fact, that boxer engine sounds so good when revved that I sometimes turn down the stereo just to listen to the engine note. And I can do that all day long.

Here are some quick specs for your reference:

Engine: 2.5L EJ25 Boxer SOHC, AVLS (VVT for Subaru)
170 bhp @ 6000 rpm
170 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm
5-speed manual transmission
Subaru Symmetrical AWD
Front Suspension: McPherson strut
Rear Suspension: Double Wishbone
Limited Slip Center Differential (Viscous Coupling)
Transfer case with open differential on the front and rear axles
Factory Alloys 205/55 R16

As far as the review goes, I was really impressed with the fit and finish both inside and outside. I can see that Subaru is aiming for the Audi AWD crowd, as the quality is right up there and it is a lot more upscale than the Civics, Corollas and the Mazda 3's. It has also grown in size from the previous generation, and hence rides like a mid-size sedan on the highway. In fact, it's only a few inches shorter than the Legacy. The ride quality and noise insulation is excellent, and again Audi like.

However, it has packed quite a few pounds because of all that, and weighs in a portly 3063 lbs. While the handling is quite "sedate" and not exactly rally car like, but it's still very neutral and flat, even when pushed to the limit. One thing I noticed was that even with the Stability and Traction Control on, the Impreza is set up for mild oversteer during very hard cornering, which adds to the fun. The turn in is great and it's incredibly agile in the corners, and lane changes on the highway have never been so much fun.

The 170 bhp and 170 lb-ft is just about enough for a car of this size, although the VVT really helps with the low end torque, greatly reducing the need for downshifts in higher gears. And because of the engine and transmission mounts being right on the firewall, you can feel the vibrations through the shift lever, which adds a sporty character to it. And I can never praise the sound of that boxer engine enough. I've driven V8's with thrice the displacement, but none of them sound so good as this one. And it's also not whiny like the Honda VTEC engines, which I prefer. However, the rev limiter and the fuel cutoff step in at about 6200 rpm, spoiling all the fun.

Subaru switched to a double wishbone setup in the rear from the multilink design for the 2008+ models, which has greatly improved the ride quality and handling. Although I'm missing a sway bar in the rear which I'll get later, the handling is still very neutral.

Gas mileage is the weakest point for this car, although it doesn't really bother me as I was shopping for V8's anyway. It's rated for 20 mpg city/27 mpg highway, and has a 64L fuel tank, which is about 14L more than what my Lancer had.

Here are some pictures I took when I got back from the dealership.

Congrats, She looks good. I like the rear more than the front. So do you like the Subaru or the Mitsu in the looks dept more?
Check this link:

YouTube - Mitsubishi Evo vs. Subaru Impreza - Top Gear - BBC

Quote:

Originally Posted by prince_pervez (Post 1489008)
Congrats, She looks good. I like the rear more than the front. So do you like the Subaru or the Mitsu in the looks dept more?

I like the sedan version of the Impreza, as I hate hatchbacks in general. But the Lancer definitely looks a lot more aggressive than the Impreza. In fact, the new Lancer is like the old Impreza and the new Impreza is like the old Lancer.

But a similarly equipped Lancer with AWD and the turbo costs at least $8-10k more than the Impreza. And they have really ruined the ride and handling in the new base Lancers, with appalling interior quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sujaylahiri (Post 1489013)
In fact, the new Lancer is like the old Impreza and the new Impreza is like the old Lancer.

agree: The Evo 10 looks much much better than the version counterpart of the Hatched Subaru.

Saw the thread title; I was like sujay TDed an Impreza here in India?
Then, was going through your initial impression and was expecting to see the iconin blue car with those golden alloys but saw a very innocent looking car !

Congrats!

Congrats bro!!you have got one of the best sedans in the world with you in a great condition.you can still add on the bronze wheels & it will look a killer.the front headlamps are very mean & only means business :-)

The rear reminds me of a Verna, somehow.
Anyways, it's a beauty and the colour of choice is interesting!
cheers mate! enjoy her

Congratulations on your new Subaru Sujay. She seems to have been well cared for and looks as good as new. You're lucky to find a 5 speed manual in an AT driven country. Do keep updating this thread as you munch up the miles. Where does the warranty of this car stand at?

Well done. Btw how much did you get for your Lancer?

I agree the rear looks like a Verna albiet a large butt:). This looks like a very tamed Suburu Imprezza. Congrats on this purchase, i am sure its fun to drive her.

Nice color too but i am a fan of the traditional blue with copper alloys.

Happy Motoring !!!

Great buy! and nice color. Please post detailed ownership report later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippy (Post 1489424)
Congratulations on your new Subaru Sujay. She seems to have been well cared for and looks as good as new. You're lucky to find a 5 speed manual in an AT driven country. Do keep updating this thread as you munch up the miles. Where does the warranty of this car stand at?

Well done. Btw how much did you get for your Lancer?

Sorry about the late reply. The car still has about a year's worth of bumper to bumper warranty and about 3 more years of rust and powertrain warranty remaining.

One more pic of the centre console in the dark. I'm loving the red lighting everywhere, and it matches perfectly with the exterior red colour as well. This car is a real head turner wherever I go. And the fact that it's rare (unlike the Hondas and Toyotas here) makes it that much more exotic.

I'm Imprezzed !!! (Subaru Impreza)-dsc02809.jpg

Not fair, coming to an Indian car forum and causing so much envy among all its members

congratulations, looks stunning in red.I prefer more of its traditional blue with copper alloys to other colours but even red looks cool.Enjoy your ride.

Congrats sujaylahiri! Very nice car. Red looks beautifull.
Enjoy and drive safe.

Beautiful car. How much did it cost ?