Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2009, 15:42   #1
BHPian

Quest to find perfect car for Indian roads and joint families :-)

This is one of my first few posts on this forum, which I am pleased to be a part of.

Part I of my quest to find perfact car for Indian roads and big families :-)

I used to drive a Ford Mondeo with 1.8L engine in UK (for about 5years) and was used to the space and power it offered. While in UK I also drove the Honda accord occasionaly and was really impressed by the engine refinement, power. So made a decision to buy only a Honda when in India.

So landed in India about a year ago, did not drive for first month - eventually got M800 from my father-in-law. Refused to drive it because it did not have those oRVMs, he got them fitted and handed the car to me. I drove back to other end of Pune city after an hour, all stressed. He called me when I reached home and asked if the mirrors helped - I said mirrors -
what mirros ? I did not even get time to look in the mirrors as I was all the time concentrating on road ahead - trying to avoid cyclewalla, bikes, cars driving on wrong side and spending the remaining time ot find unbroken tarmac amidst the potholes.

Since then I have now become a seasoned driver on Indian roads but always felt I should be driving a BIG TRUCK to scare/teach a lesson to all those driving on wrong side of road and not worry about the size of the potholes.

So, started looking for a new car, my budget was 9 to 12.5 lakhs. Priorities were
1. Ground Clearance (for Pune city roads and for those occasional visits to native village)
2. Space for 5 adults
3. Fuel economy 10+ in city

Being a family man I was ready to compromise on the outright driving experience for comfort. But wanted the car to have
good third gear torque for city driving and acceleration to get past those cabs at will.

Faithful to the decision made in UK - I decided to test drive Honda City - did not even consider any other cars at that time. Many people thought I was buying an over-priced and hyped up car. But I was firm on buying a Honda City.

TD Honda City: liked the silky smooth drive, image but ground clearance worried me. Also it was not spacious enough to seat 3 adults at the back and most importantly the engine although smooth failed to excite me. Also friend's (2 nd gen) city regularly scrapes over big speed bumps with 5 adults onboard. Was ready to compromise on everything except the GC, also had a false hope that Honda may address the GC issue because of the numerous complains by the users. But it seems Honda does not want to listen - why change if customers are bying the car as it is ? attitude seemed like Why bother ? I know that increasing GC is not an easy thing, it's a mammoth engineering task but still I thought Honda would listen to user complaints - it is not a problem which has cropped up recently - it is well known problem with all Hondas in India but their attitude seemed like why bother?

The only other Honda with enough GC - read CR-V was way out of budget So with a heavy heart - dream of owning a Honda shattered - I got over the initial awe of the ANHC after two months and decided to look at other cars.

I think I need to stop here for the day as I need to go and check my new car in the yard - you would have gusssed what car is it by my name. So wili continue with this thread tomorrow !
Old 19th September 2009, 18:15   #2
BHPian

Scorpio-I knew it. As you said you wanted to scare all those cyclewalas and rickshawalas,etc. Reading this, I was going to suggest Safari or Scorpio or Innova only. Good choice man...........Congrats......
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

My choice would be Innova for travelling in the city & to native places.Though it looks huge,the turning radius is very less for city driving.
It gives you good mileage & more comfortable than any sedan.

Note:Always Toyota gives a good competition for Honda.The maintainance is very low for a diesel vehicle as well.

It very well fits your budget.Test drive one & you will know the charm of it.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:13   #4
BHPian

I knew when I started reading your post that you had a gotten a Scorp. "Scaring the others " nailed it

Post your driving experiences and snaps. yeah also, how many you "scared"
Old 23rd September 2009, 00:17   #5
BHPian

Hi All,
Finally got to see my Scorpio yesterday - after having a lot of word with the dealer and eventually threating to cancel. PDI is done, should get the delivery over the weekend.
Would try to get some picture on the forum soon.
Guys, don't misunderstand when I wrote about scaring other but the fact I Do really get annoyed when people do not traffic rules and behave as if they have right to do so. Many a times I have tried not to budge when a vehicle drives at me on the wrong side of the road but almost everytime I had to chicken out at last minute beingin a M800. Sincerely hoping that I would be able to force some of the cars/autos/bike to follow the lane disipline and keep to the left when I get my Scorpio :-)
Would keep you updated.
Ramsagar: Really liked the caution in your signature, too good !
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:52   #6
BHPian

Its a Tradition in India that one who has bigger car, drives intentionally in front of smaller one and make him change his lane.
SOmetimes I also come across the same when driving my Astra and A Safari or Scorpio or Innova comes just in front, but then I am more Stubborn than them and make them change the lane(But don't you ever try this)-The only reason is mine is 12 year old, very solid. Even if a car hits, its Bumpers are so strong that they grab all the Force and Break other's car.
Few days back when I was my way to Delhi, suddenly a Truck lost its balance and we had to apply tight brakes. Our car stopped, but Tavera, which was coming behind, could not stop and banged into ours. Result-Broken Headlight and Crushed Bonnet(Partial) of Tavera & Our Astra's Bootlid just got little bend on one side.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:51   #7
BANNED

I fully support @Ramsagar. it has to be the Innova. Economical, rugged, bulletproof quality, enough seating (7/8).
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:20   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Your thread title itself should be a catch line for the INNOVA !
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Err... Guys he's already told us he's bought a Scorpio!

@Scorpwarp

Which trim level?
Old 23rd September 2009, 17:38   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Since this is the test drives forum section, I will have to close the thread for now. Please drop a PM once you are ready to update with your new car ownership experience. Thanks
Old 26th September 2009, 12:06   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread re-opened as its delivery day today. Congrats Scorpwap!
Old 26th September 2009, 18:11   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thread re-opened as its delivery day today. Congrats Scorpwap!
Thanks GTO.

All,
Did not get the delivery today, the dealer could do the underbody coating yesterday. Workshop people said it was too dark and not advisable to do the same in the evening, I wonder if they don't have well lit workshops ! So decided not to rush the process, the coating is done today and I would get my vehicle on Dassera.
Can't wait !! 36 hours to go !!
Thanks.
Old 30th September 2009, 11:20   #13
BHPian

Hi All,
Finally got the delivery of my Scorpio. I have posted some pictures on the Scorpio pictures thread - page 116. Initial impression:
- A bit less space for the size. I think the M800 front passenger seat has more space and better glovebox accessability
- Not many useful storage spaces.
- You have to bang the glovebox door to close it
- Bit of body role due to height of the vehicle - you would notice it if you are used to riging sedans only

Positives:
- Love the engine and power delivery
- Do not have to bother about those potholes on the road
- Road presence. The six seaters, company cabs, vans give way when I honk - never used to happen when in M800. Even the bigger vehicles would take note and try to give way
- Used cruise control today - it really works. Cool, very impressed.
Old 30th September 2009, 13:19   #14
BHPian

Congratulation on getting the Scorp Hope you have a long love affair with the Scorp.
Old 30th September 2009, 13:29   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the vehicle delivery, ScorpWarp!

Yes, moving from a small vehicle to a larger one does give its own perks!

And, it would be great if you had some pics of your ride on your ownership thread also.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks