Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2009, 22:58   #1

Got my Toyota Fortuner. Petes installed!

Hi Guys! have just reached home after getting the Pete's chip installed. I thank Aursh for waiting so late for me and figuring out the minor niggles initially faced in installing the chip.
The Pete's chip costs 31k. I got the chip fitted today. The car has been out of gurgaon for sometime now. I have just crossed the 2500km mark on the ODO.

So far there are a few things that have disappointed me.

FIrst: The brake. They feel very spongy and have to be depressed fully to get confidence in the stopping power of the car.

Ergonomics: I don't like the placement of the brake & clutch pedals. You have to lift your leg every time you have to press the clutch pedal, which becomes tiresome in city driving.

The plastics on the door panel feel really cheap and bend if pressure is applied using your elbow.

The gear lever is really high and is straight out of the innova. This is inconvenient in hard acceleration.
The whole gear assembly vibrates as you start the engine and revv it near the redline. This is the only rough edge in the otherwise very refined engine and transmission.

Now for the good part.

Engine: The engine in stock form is very responsive and gives great mid range torque that pushes you back in the fine leather seats.
Today one of my friends in BMW 325i said that he had to work a little bit to leave the fortunner behind.( This was before the chip) as we were going to drop it for the service.

So there will be better comparison when we take the cars together on the highway again with the Pete chip installed!

The Flexed fortunner now flies from the 1st gear and it's performance feels like that of luxury SUVs.

I will put up a detailed report in a week or so as I am leaving again with fortunner tomorrow.
Also I would like to thank Peter for his direct accessibility and willingness to explain his products. Thumps up to the Petes box! With the 30k saved by getting Pete's chip and not the OEM part offerred by Toyota motorsports, I am thinking of putting in the chip for the E280 CDI as well as it is out of the warranty period.

PS. This is the first modification chip I have ever put in my car andI must say I was nervous to take the plunge initially on the NEW fortunner. But there are no regrets

Rest update will be in a week guys. Be patient till then, as I am swamped with work in the field this week.
Old 21st September 2009, 11:41   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats man! The Fortuner is the most sensible 20 lakh SUV one can buy today. Since you also own a Terracan, how about a quick comparo between the two (despite the fact that they aren't competitors today)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatm3 View Post
Hi Guys! have just reached home after getting the Pete's chip installed.
Neither does Peter wait in releasing his power boxes for new cars, nor do guys like you in installing them. Now that you got the power bumped up, a front brake upgrade ought to be top priority on your list.

Quote:
FIrst: The brake. They feel very spongy and have to be depressed fully to get confidence in the stopping power of the car.
One of the biggest drawbacks of the Fortuner. Highlit in my test report as well.

Quote:
The whole gear assembly vibrates as you start the engine and revv it near the redline. This is the only rough edge in the otherwise very refined engine and transmission.
Can't figure out why all Toyota diesels wear this trait. From the Qualis to the Fortuner....

Quote:
Engine: The engine in stock form is very responsive and gives great mid range torque that pushes you back in the fine leather seats.
Today one of my friends in BMW 325i said that he had to work a little bit to leave the fortunner behind.( This was before the chip) as we were going to drop it for the service.
You betcha! That engine pulls like a train, more so at highway speeds. My OHC Vtec had a tough time keeping up on the expressway.

Quote:
So there will be better comparison when we take the cars together on the highway again with the Pete chip installed! The Flexed fortunner now flies from the 1st gear and it's performance feels like that of luxury SUVs.
What box setting are you running on? 200 BHP?

Quote:
I will put up a detailed report in a week or so as I am leaving again with fortunner tomorrow.
We look forward to more details + pictures + how you found the ride quality. Please include pics of your Petes install as well. Congrats & drive safe, Jatm3.
Old 21st September 2009, 11:50   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow that was quick!! In both terms or delivery and chipping. When did you book the car?

Await a comparision of before and after effects of the chip on performance and FE figures.

Enjoyy!!
Old 21st September 2009, 11:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

congrats Jatm3 on your new ride , i must say the Fortuner is nothing short of a cropper with the petes added, and do post in the pictures of your ride as well as you comparos as GTO has already suggested .

Drive safe and enjoi !
Old 21st September 2009, 11:59   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Niace! What color's your car? And some PICS PLEASE!
Old 21st September 2009, 12:00   #6
BHPian

Congrats Friend. Nice purchase. Already installed pete's? Wow! Whats the power setting?? Post some pics of your vehicle please.

Have Fun, drive safe.
Old 21st September 2009, 12:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new or may I say the first Peted Fortuner on Team BHP. I'm sure you are already enjoying the power boost

Quote:
The gear lever is really high and is straight out of the innova. This is inconvenient in hard acceleration.
I also noticed during our test that the gear lever vibrates even when you are idling at a traffic light. Have you felt something similar?

Quote:
How about another go after the Petes chip?

Waiting with keen interest to read your updates after driving her around this week. And dont forget to post pictures.

Happy motoring. Drive safe.
Old 21st September 2009, 12:14   #8
Senior - BHPian

Whoa. That was pretty quick. IMO, you should have run the car for sometime stock to get the feel of the original capacity. You could have Peted here while or if you had got bored of the same. Anyways now you have a nice fast SUV. Congratulations.
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : SMS / Slang is STRICTLY prohibited on this community. We would much appreciate your using full & proper english in posts, for the benefit of other forum users.

Please view our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 22nd September 2009 at 18:28.
Ramsagar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wooooh !! That was F A S T !
Thats a crazy monster in stock form, with the dabba it should be insane.

What setting on Petes ?

As GTO said, I'm also keen on a comparo with Terracan.
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:38   #11
Team-BHP Support

What after market brake upgrades are available? Also, I'm not too sure if just front disk upgrade is enough. Toyota shouldn't have cut cost here.
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:35   #12
BANNED

Quick work indeed. Also, speaks a lot of your confidence on Toyota. Most people would have waited a few months before 'pete'ing their engine!
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

dude where are you , where are the pictures?...
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:52   #14
BHPian

Congrats for your purchase, enjoy the Bull Do post detailed pictures of Exteriors & Interiors, we are awaiting the pics.

Just a question, won't the Pete'ing of a new engine will have adverse effect on the longevity ?

I think the engine should have been run-in properly before installing a tuning chip.

What do our in-house experts have to say about this ?
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

thats amazing + with Petes, thats WOW.

Congrats on the car and share with us with the pics. Any work on interiors ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks