Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 19:45   #31
BHPian

Congrats on buying 'Peace of mind'. It is not a flashy or scorcher car, but does its job very efficiently and silently. Owners realise its full virtues over a period of time.

Your in-dash DVD system looks very good although rather pricey. Reversing Camera @ Rs 2000 is a steal and a very practical buy. I need it badly for my car. In March when I bought the car Toyota was offering only some reversing device with just a beeper for 6000/= which did not interest me. The DVD system was not available then, but like GTO asked what will you use it for?

Autocop's Trackpro sounds interesting , I will check it. I did not install any sun film and have passed the entire scorching summer without any problem. The original tinted glasses are very good and take care of the heat.

My Altis is now almost 6 months and nearly 5000 Kms old and so far the experience has been very good. Shortly I will post my ownership review.

Congratulations once again and enjoy your ride.

Last edited by akj53 : 25th September 2009 at 19:49.
Old 27th September 2009, 14:09   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Neat install! What exactly will you use this for, and how frequently? Just asking, as its the most expensive of the accessories on your car yet.
No experience with the TrackPro, yet will add that AutoCop is a company that delivers. 10+ years of experience with them & their customer service levels are exemplary.

More details please.
I actually use the system for a lot of things, like the bluetooth phone feature is used very frequently then the it works with the camera for reversing, which again is used frequesntly. Apart from all this I just use it for watching movies sometimes when I am being driven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobgeorge View Post
Hi Somu,

Quick question.....you did consider the Civic, right....tell us what made you go for the Altis and not the Civic?

BTW, your DVD console look sleek and amazing. Good choice.
I still love the civic but there were lot of things that made me not buy it. Following are a few reasons to name a few

1. Lot of my friends and family members who have owned the Civic told me that ground clerance is a big issue in the car. The side skirts are prone to damage. Plus they told me that parts are very light so they break easily.

2. Attitude of Honda dealers, I felt they kind of carry the attitude which says "OUR CARS SELL NO MATTER WHAT". With this, the kind of response I got from Honda dealers when I went for a test drive was very luke warm. Where as Toyota people were very nice and friendly.

I guess these are the two most important reasons why I chose the corolla over civic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Congratulations on your new Altis. Very few sedans offer you features and value at a good price, not to mention the supreme reliability factor that comes with the Toyota name. That DVD system looks really cool. The interiors and controls are very functional. I would have prefered silver finish to the fake food though.

Have fun munching up the kms. The Corolla is a car that will outlive its owner. Drive safe and keep updating this thread regularly.
Sure dippy, I'll keep updating about the performance of the car. And ya I second your opinion about the fake wood thing. Even I hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Congrats on buying 'Peace of mind'. It is not a flashy or scorcher car, but does its job very efficiently and silently. Owners realise its full virtues over a period of time.

Your in-dash DVD system looks very good although rather pricey. Reversing Camera @ Rs 2000 is a steal and a very practical buy. I need it badly for my car. In March when I bought the car Toyota was offering only some reversing device with just a beeper for 6000/= which did not interest me. The DVD system was not available then, but like GTO asked what will you use it for?
see with that dvd system i can use my camera, watch movies, use my phone and lot of other things. Plus its good to show off in front of friends some time lol
Old 28th September 2009, 11:37   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somu2009 View Post
I actually use the system for a lot of things, like the bluetooth phone feature is used very frequently then the it works with the camera for reversing, which again is used frequesntly. Apart from all this I just use it for watching movies sometimes when I am being driven.
Ah, nice. If I may suggest, do use headphones when watching movies + being driven around. Else, it can be terribly distracting to the driver. I was once driving a Sierra on the highway and back benchers were watching a movie. Even though the screen was out of my direct line of sight, it took away 50% of my concentration levels.

Quote:
Lot of my friends and family members who have owned the Civic told me that ground clerance is a big issue in the car. The side skirts are prone to damage. Plus they told me that parts are very light so they break easily.
Seems to have been solved in the facelifted civic (firmer rear suspension).

Quote:
Attitude of Honda dealers, I felt they kind of carry the attitude which says "OUR CARS SELL NO MATTER WHAT". With this, the kind of response I got from Honda dealers when I went for a test drive was very luke warm. Where as Toyota people were very nice and friendly.
Couldn't agree anymore. When will Honda learn! One of the contributing factors between my choosing the Lancer over the Honda City in '00 was the attitude of the local dealer.
Old 28th September 2009, 12:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your new vehicle.

One question about the Toyota In-Dash DVD system. Is it an official Toyota product, or a 3rd party product sold by the dealer? I'm sure it's a great accessory to have, just that it seems to lack the OEM finesse.
Old 28th September 2009, 18:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ah, nice. If I may suggest, do use headphones when watching movies + being driven around. Else, it can be terribly distracting to the driver. I was once driving a Sierra on the highway and back benchers were watching a movie. Even though the screen was out of my direct line of sight, it took away 50% of my concentration levels.

Seems to have been solved in the facelifted civic (firmer rear suspension).

Couldn't agree anymore. When will Honda learn! One of the contributing factors between my choosing the Lancer over the Honda City in '00 was the attitude of the local dealer.
Sure I'll certainly get a nice set of headphones. And while we are talking of honda dealers IMO the worse one was southend Honda in Saket, New Delhi. I went to two other dealers and they were still better than Southend. Actually this is what happened. When I purchased my Accent last year that time I went to test drive the City and this year I ended up going to the same guy again for test driving the Civic. And since he could recognize me, he must have felt that I was probably some local resident who just does time pass like this. First of all they told me I can't test drive on an international license, which was the same license I used to test drive the City. Then I gave my friends license.

After this the guy who came with us in the car did not utter a word during the whole test drive and was looking at us as if we are there to steal the car. So all this sort of turned me away from buying the Civic altogether. I hope Honda people read this and try n make sure this doesn't happen again. They make good cars but at the same time they offer horrible customer service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post

One question about the Toyota In-Dash DVD system. Is it an official Toyota product, or a 3rd party product sold by the dealer? I'm sure it's a great accessory to have, just that it seems to lack the OEM finesse.
I don't know if it is an Official Toyota or not but ya it sure does show the toyota logo when you turn it on. It's probably a third party product sprcially made for toyota. I somehow feel that it still looks better than other products in the market. Primarily because it matches the color of the dash and fits in perfectly. The other touch screens available in the market first show the company name instead of Toyota, like pioneer or sony.

Its all upto personal taste. One of my other friend also doesn't like it
Old 28th September 2009, 18:30   #36
BHPian

Heartiest Congratulations Somu. Really loved the central console, the screen and all. And top it up with state of art GPS tracking and being able to know exactly what is happening in your car any time any where... Now we are talking technology here. About the mobile rental part, I guess there are many providers with so called lifetime validity and stuff. That should work out cheaper, is it or not?

Enjoy your ride mate. Keep us informed about her.
Old 14th October 2009, 09:25   #37
BHPian

Hi Somu,
Congrats on your purchase and your accessories....the in Dash DVD system is really cool. Enjoy the experience!
Old 14th October 2009, 11:28   #38
BHPian

Somu2009 - Congratulations. The player that is replaced is a original Toyota DVD in-dash player or Dealer arranged one ?

Remember seeing them sold as after-market fit for branded cars. They are sold in China with car assembly kits. Like the one here for Toyota Camry.
Old 14th October 2009, 12:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

@Somu. The car looks gorgeous esp the interiors and the in-Dash player.

Well, we have had quite a few negative responses on the attitude of Honda dealers. However, the experience meted out to me last month when I went to a Honda Dealer in Chennai was quite good.

The guy who accompanied me during the test drive kept talking about all the features of the Jazz and how utilitarian a vehicle it was. He was courteous through out and did his job pretty well. All this despite me telling him upfront that I had no plans of buying the car in the near future.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:25   #40
BANNED

Hey Somu, is the In Dash DVD player a Toyota OEM product?

I'm 101% going to get this fitted in my corolla and dont want to be disappointed after knowing from the dealership that toyota doesnt manufactures anything such...
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:48   #41
BANNED

I had a hint that this would happen. The dealer says that Toyota doesn't manufactures anything such and you friend (somu) must have got it fitted from outside the dealership. Called up TOYOTA in Bangalore and they also say the same thing + they don't recommend anything such for Corolla.

Damn... This is the most exciting thing for the car and m not getting it anywhere! Somu!! Where did you get it????
Old 3rd November 2009, 14:53   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post

I believe it is a third party product but it is very well finished and has an OEM look to it. If that was the first Altis I saw, I'd never believe it was an aftermarket accessory.
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

congratulations on your no-nonsense car, yes its not a show stunner or head turner but also is a superb steady sensible car to own.Wishing you happy miles ahead and keep updating your thread.
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:41   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpyder View Post
Heartiest Congratulations Somu. Really loved the central console, the screen and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manish123 View Post
Hi Somu,
Congrats on your purchase and your accessories....the in Dash DVD system is really cool. Enjoy the experience!
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
Somu2009 - Congratulations. The player that is replaced is a original Toyota DVD in-dash player or Dealer arranged one ? Remember seeing them sold as after-market fit for branded cars. They are sold in China with car assembly kits. Like the one here for Toyota Camry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
congratulations on your no-nonsense car, yes its not a show stunner or head turner but also is a superb steady sensible car to own.Wishing you happy miles ahead and keep updating your thread.
Thanks guys. Will keep you all updated about the experience with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@Somu. The car looks gorgeous esp the interiors and the in-Dash player.

Well, we have had quite a few negative responses on the attitude of Honda dealers. However, the experience meted out to me last month when I went to a Honda Dealer in Chennai was quite good.

The guy who accompanied me during the test drive kept talking about all the features of the Jazz and how utilitarian a vehicle it was. He was courteous through out and did his job pretty well. All this despite me telling him upfront that I had no plans of buying the car in the near future.
That's great buddy, I wish I got a treatment even remotely close to what you got from Honda dealership. Then probably we would have been discussing my Civic here . Honda makes great cars but needs to tighten up the strings for dealerships.
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:49   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
Hey Somu, is the In Dash DVD player a Toyota OEM product?

I'm 101% going to get this fitted in my corolla and dont want to be disappointed after knowing from the dealership that toyota doesnt manufactures anything such...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
I had a hint that this would happen. The dealer says that Toyota doesn't manufactures anything such and you friend (somu) must have got it fitted from outside the dealership. Called up TOYOTA in Bangalore and they also say the same thing + they don't recommend anything such for Corolla.

Damn... This is the most exciting thing for the car and m not getting it anywhere! Somu!! Where did you get it????
Hey, see I don't know weather Toyota manufactures it or not. Its probably a third party product which being made by some manufacturer for Toyota. But yes, like I said before I got it installed from the dealership itself. In fact they have more for sale coz I remember seeing more units of the same at their accessories section. You can call the dealership here and check if they can ship you one.

Following is the contact info, or simply google Galaxy Toyota

GALAXY TOYOTA-SOUTH DELHI
137, 138
Bhisham Pitamah Marg
Arjun Nagar, Kotla Mubarakpur
New Delhi-110033

Telephone:
+91-11-4657-7777
Fax:
+91-11-4164-7939

The guy at the accessories department is Mr. Jugan and his cell phone number is 9999703545.

The only thing I got installed in the car outside the dealership was the Autocop, Reverse Cam and Sun Films. I totally agree with you on the part that its the best accessory for the Altis. Looks and feels very OEM. And the best part is that steering controls also work perfectly with it.

Let me know buddy if in case you need any help. I can even make arrangements to ship it to you if need be. PM me if you need any further information. Hope I was of some help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks