Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 14:45   #1
BHPian

The Rare: 1.4 FIAT GRANDE Punto E+

So here's my story:

Previously we owned a Indica Turbo DLX feb 07 (the last face lifted V2); brilliant engineering from TATA.
I guess very few turbo charged hatch come with a intercooler. Ah the torque just loved it..

She was totaled in a accident on 2nd july.. no one was hurt..

Now living in mumbai, its difficult to travel if you have a habit of moving around town in your own car.. So i started my research considering ABS + AIR bags as must features in the new car.
Petrol or Diesel didn't matter much as I do not have a fixed running distance. Being a student, petrol feels a option but when mom comes for vacation, diesel is necessary.. We felt a diesel would be better as in a month i make atleast 2 - 3 visits to pune. But it would not really matter what engine we buy.

Thinking of a new car, only one picture came in my mind, the red punto.

Took mom (the financier) to the chembur dealer she loved it, very much premium ride and quiet petrol engine.

So without a second thought on any other manufacturer finalized for the punto.

*-!-*Later on in the coming 2 months, just to be able to answer the people (family, friends, hello hi friends) who ask me the QUESTION; "WHY fiat??" I TD the i20 petrol, Jazz and just peeked in the Ritz for 3 mins.

My review:
i20: Didn't like the steering feel in city speed limits, not many features offered comparing to punto for odd 7 lacs. No red color. (plus out of budget)
Jazz: Not value for money!
Ritz: the outsides look better than the swift, Inside the car was just a no no.
Final Verdict: Japanese/korean (SE & E asian) cars never impressed me just because of their engines!! The exceptions being a very few, namely Subaru Impreza WRX, Evo XI, Mazda for the rotary engines and the Nissan Skyline.

Europeans Really know how to make cars that satisfy your every needs at a acceptable sacrifice of a couple of kms from the mileage...

Test Drive:

Here at T-bhp, many MJD reviews but rarely a 1.4 (GTO's review helped). So MJD was looking fixed.

I was not convinced with the package Wasan, chembur was offering me. No freebies at all plus he didn't have the MJD for TD. (didn't drive the 1.4, just took a ride in it as a passenger) Left it there.

Next stop Fortune, powai.
So I TD the MJD E. at fortune powai, Typical diesel clatter but better than the turbo i owned. Cutting it short, the MJD engine sound just didn't impress me the way my Indica turbo did!! at any revs. Nor did the post turbo spool power.. but the early mild torque and the turbo spool was not a issue here; the engine sound was.

The engine sound just didn't impress me, my turbo was better sounding around 2500-4000 rpm comparing it to the MJD punto any-day! This saddened me on the MJD experience.

i feel the engine note plays a vital role in making your driving experience a pleasure.
And anyways no freebies/discount at powai also so i left. Plus, the salesman (surender) was not much informed on the punto.

Wasan, Marine lines:
Then my final visit was at Wasan Marine Lines. The new to wasan advisor offered me what basically I was looking for: 5k discount, mats, sun-film, Mud flaps (when available). This package interested me as I would not need to spend on anything after the delivery.

Here I TD the 1.4 fire E+. When I found a empty stretch (fashion street); I opened her up!
Every-time past the 2500 rpm all the way up-to 6500 rpm the engine note just bought a smile on my face!!

Every-time she revved past 3000 rpm, the smile got bigger and bigger on my face, I knew then that this sweet melody HAS be mine ASAP!!

I said to myself:
So thats how 90 Italian hoses galloping in RED sound..
Old 25th September 2009, 14:46   #2
BHPian

Continued from post. 1

Booking:

Since my Turbo was a total loss, receiving the money from reliance was a lengthy process.

It took 3 weeks for tata to make a detailed estimate for reliance. Then later on reliance said, i need to clear my loan from tata finance on the car. Tata finance took another 2 weeks for giving me a NOC. After which I received the money from reliance.

Till I had the money 2 months had already passed..

The experience with TATA Finance in clearing our loan on the indica was horrible.

So considering that, we decided to buy the 1.4 E+ without a loan, outright.

So in these 2 months saved enough money for a full payment.

On 31st AUG, I went and booked a RED 1.4 FIRE Punto E+ at wasan, marine lines.
Booking details: (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1459570-post64.html)

Ex. showroom:- 5,80,240
REG:---------------47,617
ext. warranty:------5,000
Discount:------------5,000
TOTAL:------------6,27,857/- (Mumbai Registration)

Booking:--- 50,000
Balance:- 5,77,857

DAMAGES:
On Road:---6,27,857
Insurance:----12,852 (bajaj allianz. IDV: 5,80,240)
TOTAL:-----6,40,709

My punto was suppose to be alloted to me by the 2nd or 3rd SEPT, but due to wasan's miscommunication between stock house and dealer, she was alloted to me on 7th sept. Further delaying the delivery from 10th sept to 17th sept.

On 10th sept, my punto was in Wasan's deonar workshop, after paying the octroi and I performed my check on her using the t-bhp check list.. all looked OK. Paid the balance amount the next day.

DELIVERY

After small speed breakers, 18th SEPT, was the deliver date; just in time for the Mumbai - Pune T-BHP meet on 20th. But due to a family emergency, I had to leave for nagpur on 15th.

I returned on 19th SEPT evening. 20th sept sunday, confirmed my delivery and showed up at marine lines at 12 noon.

First made a small visual check on my car before proceeding for paperwork. This Mr Viraj senior to my salesman just went on pushing papers fast sign here there etc. I tried to slowed him down told him to explain the papers.

Got the RTO papers, invoice cleared and calculated. He insisted me to just sign the feedback form as he will fill it up.. and just signed the feedback form as i was too excited..

All paperwork done. finally got the keys. Performed a small puja.

Got the basic functions cleared.. The dealer removed the blue & me sticker to accommodate the rear sun film. Earlier I had instructed them not to remove it, but they did. Now they say it will be available after 28th..

With 34 kms on the odo..

Finally left the dealership a Excited Punter!!

Last edited by TC_aashay : 25th September 2009 at 14:48.
Old 25th September 2009, 14:54   #3
BHPian

No pictures = No Fun
Old 25th September 2009, 15:01   #4
BHPian

I took delivery this sunday, made a trip to pune and back the same day.. Cruising around 80 - 100km/h. i clocked odd 400 kms.. the average A consumption she showed was 15.3km/l. Now this put away my doubts of her being a fuel guzzler.

Looking forward to incerase that fuel mileage in the comming weeks!!

Till today I have clocked 976kms..

Sorry for those 2 extra long posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junniaga View Post
No pictures = No Fun
Hold your horses yaar.. Let me finished intiating my report dude.

It takes time reducing the PIC size..
A couple of pics I took in pune:
Attached Thumbnails
The Rare: 1.4 FIAT GRANDE Punto E+-rear.jpg  

The Rare: 1.4 FIAT GRANDE Punto E+-right-side.jpg  

The Rare: 1.4 FIAT GRANDE Punto E+-front.jpg  

Last edited by TC_aashay : 25th September 2009 at 15:15.
Old 25th September 2009, 15:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_aashay View Post
I returned on 19th SEPT evening. 20th sept sunday, confirmed my delivery and showed up at marine lines at 12 noon. All paperwork done. finally got the keys. Performed a small puja.

Finally left the dealership a Excited Punter!!

Congrats on the car!What colour is it?
Old 25th September 2009, 15:19   #6
BHPian

Punto looks simply gorgeous in Red.

Congrats for the beauty. Keep updating the thread with more ownership experience.
Old 25th September 2009, 15:29   #7
BHPian

Excellent Writeup dude.

Congrats for the beauty, Punto truly looks Fantastic in RED

Enjoy the beauty & do post some more Exterior & Interior pics.
Old 25th September 2009, 15:34   #8
BHPian

Congrat!! I second your thought.. Europeans know how to make cars with great ride quality. Enjoy your ride and do post some snaps of the red hotty.
Old 25th September 2009, 15:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

congrats for the beauty , and welcome to the Punto club.
Old 25th September 2009, 16:11   #10
BHPian

i went to the corcorde motors outlet in bangalore to TD the punto 1.4, i loved it to bits and it looks smashing in red. i am still gonna hold on to my uno a lil longer till i gather the reqd finances for that red 1.4

was pairing your phone to the bluetooth system in the car simple? is there an i pod aux in socket?

Also, i know im gonna get a lot of brickbats for this here. but t-bhp sticker on a brand new car ? i must admire the passion though!

Last edited by v12 : 26th September 2009 at 16:04.
Old 25th September 2009, 16:32   #11

Very nice pictures!

That looks like Aditya Garden City. I too live there and I own a red MJD

Piyush
Old 25th September 2009, 16:47   #12
BHPian

Congrats, another Red 1.4 EPack.
Old 25th September 2009, 17:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Lovely Choice of car and color.Congratulations.
Old 25th September 2009, 17:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation on your Punto..!! Welcome to the Grande Punto Club ,I am also a proud owner of Fiat GP,but mine is 1.3 MJD.Excellent write-up and pictures.Please do upload loads of pictures.
Happy and Safe motoring
Old 25th September 2009, 17:08   #15
Senior - BHPian

A red Punto is always a head turner on the road. There is just something about Red cars ( oh alright I'm pointing towards Ferraris)

Congratulations on your 1.4 petrol Punto. Your buying experience also made for an interesting read. Do post regular updates on your ownership and service experiences.

Drive safe

P.S Do you have a house in Pune? Wouldnt it be cheaper to register it there?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks