Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2009, 09:26   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I think RD's is a piggyback ECU whereas Pete's is not.

Guru's to comment on that.

Now,

@RDK: Can i Procure this EM400 and keep switching it between my cars?

I have 3 diesel cars!
What is the difference? Can you elaborate?
Old 4th October 2009, 12:28   #32
BHPian

Query

can these boxes be used with petrol engines? is it wise (& worth) to use them with a 1.1 engine?
Old 4th October 2009, 13:42   #33
BHPian

Racedynamics has separate ECM's for petrol's. The XM's are specifically for deisel's. It's worth even for a FI 149cc bike, let alone your 1.1L engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
can these boxes be used with petrol engines? is it wise (& worth) to use them with a 1.1 engine?
Old 4th October 2009, 16:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
What is the difference? Can you elaborate?
A Standalone ECU replaces the existing stock ECU of the car whereas a Piggyback ECU sits alongwith the stock ECU and does magic!
Old 4th October 2009, 16:55   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A Standalone ECU replaces the existing stock ECU of the car whereas a Piggyback ECU sits alongwith the stock ECU and does magic!
In that case the EM400 is a piggyback ecu which does nothing but increase the rail pressure. It is similar to the petes box. RD has standalone ecus too but i dont think they are applicable for gen 2 crdis.

Last edited by ShyamSCrdi : 4th October 2009 at 16:57.
Old 4th October 2009, 17:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Piggy back ECUs basically take over the engine works from the stock ECU leaving it with other non essential tasks. They are usually a cheaper alternative to standalone performance ECUs.

They are easier to install and manufacture as compared to replacement ECUs.

RD does manufacture standalone ECUs.
Old 4th October 2009, 17:45   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
I think RD's is a piggyback ECU whereas Pete's is not.
Pete's is a piggyback too.
PS: I've lost count of the number of times you mention 'piggyback'. You enjoy the term,heh?
Old 4th October 2009, 19:04   #38
BHPian

One question regarding this performance enhancers, (i might appear stupid), will this not put more stress / load on the engine and reduce the engine life, and moreover, the sudden surge in the power will have a considerable wear on the tyres, obviously the manufacturer is not going to test these sudden power surges on the tyre, this leaves a question to all those who put these boxes, what would be the right / proper tyre choice for these kind on mods.

No wonder, the manufacturer voids the warranty if this box is installed. The ripple of effect of the sudden power surge on the tyres, suspension and what not, will certainly have a big impact.

I may be wrong and I would like to correct myself wherever I am wrong.
Old 4th October 2009, 20:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
One question regarding this performance enhancers, (i might appear stupid), will this not put more stress / load on the engine and reduce the engine life, and moreover, the sudden surge in the power will have a considerable wear on the tyres, obviously the manufacturer is not going to test these sudden power surges on the tyre, this leaves a question to all those who put these boxes, what would be the right / proper tyre choice for these kind on mods.

No wonder, the manufacturer voids the warranty if this box is installed. The ripple of effect of the sudden power surge on the tyres, suspension and what not, will certainly have a big impact.

I may be wrong and I would like to correct myself wherever I am wrong.
You are very right. But then when you are taken over by thirst for power you really dont worry about all these things
Old 4th October 2009, 22:59   #40
BHPian

I feel better now, good to know that my understanding is right . Though, now i understand that the "thirst for power", i would also like to know How do you arrive at the right set of tyres and is there any suspension setting changed?
Old 5th October 2009, 00:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajird View Post
I feel better now, good to know that my understanding is right . Though, now i understand that the "thirst for power", i would also like to know How do you arrive at the right set of tyres and is there any suspension setting changed?
Tire choices for high speed and handling applications are Advan & S.Drives from Yokohama, and PP2 from Michelin (tire gurus, please correct/ add-on to this).

The right tire width and dia again is based on the application and user preference- why dont you try the tire bible? (Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 2)
Old 5th October 2009, 12:15   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Tire choices for high speed and handling applications are Advan & S.Drives from Yokohama, and PP2 from Michelin (tire gurus, please correct/ add-on to this).

The right tire width and dia again is based on the application and user preference- why dont you try the tire bible? (Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible Page 1 of 2)
Hmmm! You could add Conti's CPC2. It is good.
Old 5th October 2009, 12:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car & RD unit.Pls post some pics.
Upgrade your tires ASAP.
Old 5th October 2009, 22:26   #44

Hi!

Based on this thread I wrote to the guys at RD for my swift petrol. Are there any workhops in mumbai ? Till date Viper has responded (postive).I am in mumbai. Any leads? Thanks

Cheers!
Old 6th October 2009, 21:45   #45
BHPian

HI Ash,

There is one N1 Engineering in Worli which is a distributor for them. You can try contacting them. These guys are bang opp Auto Hanger in Worli after the siddhivinayak temple one way. Hope this helps.

Kailash

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks