Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 13:53   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
Now my fiance is quite adamant about Airbags and I feel this is the only car in 9L range that comes with airbags(Linea is touching 10L in bangalore...Too costly and no VFM). Is there any difference in driveability between Zxi and the new Sxi? Does fiesta hold a better damper when compared to Verna (Verna has Gas shocks). I am looking for a car which does 130kph with poise and comfort in highways and run in B2B traffic with lesser gear shifts. I wanted my fiance also to take this car for drive. So please provide me suggestions by keeping a lady driver in mind .
I may look like a person tilted towards verna, but honestly I feel Fiesta is kind to the lady behind the wheels.
Well, I would suggest you to TD Fiesta Tdci again before you decide, maybe from a different dealer. In Fiesta, turbo kicks in much earlier than Verna, hence it gives you good pick up and good city driveablitiy. Fiesta also rides and handles better than Verna, so high speed stability shudnt be a problem. If you need power or performance machine, then its gotta be Verna for you.
But, you might not have great Handling, Airbags which are essential when you want to hit high speeds often. Maybe you can upgrade tyres in Verna, to improve its handling.

In the end, if you want good city driveablity with reasonable power for highways (Fiesta hits 120 comfortably, 169 top speed I guess) you can look at Fiesta. Why dont you ask your Lady to TD Fiesta? I have a feeling she might really like it. Its compact, riding and maneouvering it in the city shud be easy.

How about Manza? If you dont minds looks and brand, thats a pretty good car as well. If you guys are a young couple, then maybe Manza might not appeal.
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:39   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Well, 130kmph requirement points straight at a Verna. Fiesta does get to 100-120kmph pretty easy, but after that, it doesnt accelerate as fast. I've a friend who almost booked a Fiesta for his wife (she uses a car in city traffic almost everyday), but then changed the last minute to a Verna. He and she are happy with the Verna choice, last I heard!
Thanks Unni.It was good to see comments about Verna from a Womens view. I will also ask my lady to TD Fiesta and post her views here too. I already have a pending post of her opinion about verna.
Any idea how much I can bargain for Sxi premium in Bangalore. The last time I checked its prices was when it was launched and I got a quote of 9.5L. I was taken aback by the price tag then.
Old 23rd October 2009, 14:49   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
How about Manza? If you dont minds looks and brand, thats a pretty good car as well. If you guys are a young couple, then maybe Manza might not appeal.
Yes. I plan to make her drive Fiesta once to see how she feels behing the wheels.
I took her to Tata showroom yesterday evening. Before that I had pointed her to websites and pics of Manza, its features and how useful they might be. I was researching on Manza since it was launched.
We entered Prerana Motors, Sarjapur road,Bangalore at around 6:45 pm when they had half the lights shut off. The sales person in the showroom was kind enough to give us a stare and continue reading his magazine. We walked around Manza for a while. She looked around it, inside it and then it happened.
She held my hand tight and said " Not this please" with a pleading look, the one that I hardly get from her.
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:04   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Well, I would suggest you to TD Fiesta Tdci again before you decide, maybe from a different dealer. In Fiesta, turbo kicks in much earlier than Verna, hence it gives you good pick up and good city driveablitiy. Fiesta also rides and handles better than Verna, so high speed stability shudnt be a problem. If you need power or performance machine, then its gotta be Verna for you.
But, you might not have great Handling, Airbags which are essential when you want to hit high speeds often. Maybe you can upgrade tyres in Verna, to improve its handling.

In the end, if you want good city driveablity with reasonable power for highways (Fiesta hits 120 comfortably, 169 top speed I guess) you can look at Fiesta. Why dont you ask your Lady to TD Fiesta? I have a feeling she might really like it. Its compact, riding and maneouvering it in the city shud be easy.
+1, when I was in market two months back, I test drive Linea, Verna and Fiesta. Two things put me off in Verna, absence of air bags, and absence of EBD. Verna have ABS but it doesnt comes with EBD, and from my little technical knowledge (thanks T-Bhp) I found EBD plays important role while braking, as it help in sensing distribution of weight in Car, definately Verna have four wheel disk brakes, but I think they have discontinued for rear wheels in latest production (I may be wrong).
Even now I am die hard fan of Hyundai due to pleasurable experience from last 3.5 years, but I don't understand why they are not giving safety features in Verna.
I don't think Verna will be too bad in handling on highway, for better handling tyre upgradation will help, it is just matter getting used to it, but if somebody looking decent driver's car for city and highway with decent power and safety features Fiesta is better option.

@ Sylvan, better decide your priorities and take decision accordingly, both cars are good in their own terms, also I'll suggest visit various threads on Verna like newcoolgadgets and others, on Fiesta of Lamborghini, Unni.ak (long term ownership review) and OSS (Test drive and Initial Ownership review).

Last edited by rajeshvin : 23rd October 2009 at 15:06.
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:17   #65
BHPian

Quote:
She held my hand tight and said " Not this please" with a pleading look, the one that I hardly get from her.
you took me few years back, after marriage it rarely happens, all the best for 'dream car' search.
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:22   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshvin View Post
you took me few years back, after marriage it rarely happens
Now its more like, "This" or "Not This". No pleading, no please

Sorry for the OT Rajesh.

Last edited by unni.ak : 23rd October 2009 at 15:23.
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:52   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Two things put me off in Verna, absence of air bags, and absence of EBD. Verna have ABS but it doesnt comes with EBD, and from my little technical knowledge (thanks T-Bhp) I found EBD plays important role while braking, as it help in sensing distribution of weight in Car, definately Verna have four wheel disk brakes, but I think they have discontinued for rear wheels in latest production (I may be wrong).
Spot on. Absense of EBD is one of the main reasons why I am contemplating Fiesta. I have heard from some owners that Verna might skid even at 100 while braking. But still there are other owners who found braking as good as in any other car. I myself tried to hard brake it at 100, but not on a wet surface. It did handle well .
Also the new variants post Aug 2009 comes with rear drum. I checked with different showrooms to get model prior to Aug 2009, but was hapless
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:56   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spot on. Absense of EBD is one of the main reasons why I am contemplating Fiesta. I have heard from some owners that Verna might skid even at 100 while braking. But still there are other owners who found braking as good as in any other car. I myself tried to hard brake it at 100, but not on a wet surface. It did handle well .
Also the new variants post Aug 2009 comes with rear drum. I checked with different showrooms to get model prior to Aug 2009, but was hapless
Verna: Though it has more power but bad in handling,features & absence of Rear disc breaks form the earlier version is a major let down. But has a good A.S.S.

Fiesta: Is good in every aspect,except A.S.S and resale value is where the fiesta fails.

Note: Every car has their if's & but's. Let your lady drive the car & go for the one which she is comfortable off.
Old 23rd October 2009, 22:50   #69
oss
BHPian

Quote:
OSS, are you using your sedan as a mini-van . But, good to know that you didn't have much ground clearance issues. I've done a ~600km trip with 5 adults in the car and did bottom out the rear suspension on some wavy sections of the road.
Was ferrying the extended family to hometown for Diwali. By the way 4 adults including myself, that is.

Quote:
Even I've heard stories of 24-26kmpl. I wonder how some one can manage to achieve such figures. No AC, 100% highways and very sedate driving, I guess.
Yes; i'd rather sacrifice couple of km/l to rip the car

BTW, yesterday i drove to BLR from Chennai and today while returning i filled the tank. Guess what the milege was 20 kmpl.

The load was less, it was only me throughout the drive, but i covered most of the distance in 110-120 km/hr speed. 4hrs 40min - 335 kms - Chennai to E.City - just one short break for 20min - Not bad huh!

Quote:
Well, 130kmph requirement points straight at a Verna. Fiesta does get to 100-120kmph pretty easy, but after that, it doesnt accelerate as fast. I've a friend who almost booked a Fiesta for his wife (she uses a car in city traffic almost everyday), but then changed the last minute to a Verna. He and she are happy with the Verna choice, last I heard!
I didn't face any difficulty in crossing 130. Took some time before it kissed 140.
Old 27th January 2010, 23:18   #70
BHPian

1st Service and 5000 kms update

Sorry guys, logging after long time, was busy and out of town for most of time due to official work.

Yesterday I have completed 5000 kms on Fiesta and thought to share experience till date (also decided to update thread atleast every 5000 kms), will be completing 4 months on 29th January. I was unable to cover more distance in 4 months due to traveling abroad and in other cities for official work.

First Servicing :

Done first service on 25th December at 3000 kms, I recommended service centre to change oil and filter, Total Charge Rs. 1267/-

Personally I feel after oil and filter change, engine is more on smoother side and fuel efficiency have increased.

I have visited service centre 3 times till date, first time to know the mechanics of car, second time to fix the wheel balancing issue (It was due to improper wheel balancing by Tyre Supplier) and third time for first servicing, experience so far is excellent with service centre.

Experience with Fiesta :

Fiesta is fun to drive car both in city and highway, excellent steering feedback, better ride quality, it gives the feel of driving like a bike, loves cornering precisely, to extract more from Fiesta (Diesel) you have to be in right gear acceleration and 1800+ rpm.

Driven in City, Ghats, Highway, Express Highway (Pune - Mumbai) and it was always driving pleasure, honour and pride to be owner of Fiesta, Initially I was skeptical of 68 bhp but to be true I never felt while driving any lack of power on any terrain and at any speed upto 140 kmph.

Maximum speed touched : 160 kmph ( On Pune - Mumbai Express Highway)
Minimum Fuel Efficiency : 15.6 kmpl, 633 kms, 40.57 litres ( 100% city driving)
Maximum Fuel Efficiency : 22.77 kmpl, 488 kms, 21.42 litres (10% city, 90% four lane highway @ speed 80 - 120 kmph)
Maximum DTE Reading : 878 kms (after filling the full tank)

Accessories :

Got the 5th Alloy Wheel, Dealer charged Rs. 4550/- for single Alloy Wheel.

Issues faced so far :

None, except sometimes slight thud noise from underbody on very bad road, will ask to rectify during 2nd service.

Till date I am one of happy owner of Fiesta, always need excuse to drive Fiesta and best part it is more economical on pocket ( fill it, shut it, forget it).
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - SXI Premium - Journey Begins-250120101535.jpg  

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi - SXI Premium - Journey Begins-270120101536.jpg  

Old 27th January 2010, 23:25   #71
BHPian

Congrats rajeshvin !! Wish you many happy miles of motoring.

Being a very new Fiesta owner (bought Petrol SXi only 5 days back), I just feel more confident after hearing zero issues with your car.

I hope that my car too will live up to my expectation.

Not to mention, I just envy your first DTE reading.
Old 27th January 2010, 23:41   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh View Post
Congrats rajeshvin !! Wish you many happy miles of motoring.

Being a very new Fiesta owner (bought Petrol SXi only 5 days back), I just feel more confident after hearing zero issues with your car.

I hope that my car too will live up to my expectation.

Not to mention, I just envy your first DTE reading.
Mayukh, Congrats for your 'Go Fida' Fiesta, you will be happy and proud to be owner of Fiesta, I personally found Fiesta is fun to drive and trouble free car, plus you have 1.6L Petrol Rocket.
Old 28th January 2010, 08:30   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First Servicing :

Done first service on 25th December at 3000 kms, I recommended service centre to change oil and filter, Total Charge Rs. 1267/-

Personally I feel after oil and filter change, engine is more on smoother side and fuel efficiency have increased.

I have visited service centre 3 times till date, first time to know the mechanics of car, second time to fix the wheel balancing issue (It was due to improper wheel balancing by Tyre Supplier) and third time for first servicing, experience so far is excellent with service centre.
@rajeshvin Congrats on reaching the 5K mark on the odo.
Can you elaborate why you went for the oil and filter change. Is it mentioned in the service manual or you took a call on your own, any particular reason. My petrol Fiesta is due for first service in second week of Feb, hence the question.
Also was it OK to have delayed the wheel balancing issue till the first service coz in my case also I feel the vehicle slightly steers towards left and was planning to bring it to the service guys notice during the first service. I had brought it to the dealer's notice earlier immediately after 5 dyas of purchase and the dealer had got the wheel alignment and balancing done by a third party and had confirmed everything was OK. Even I had a chat with the 3rd party guy and he also said the same. But somehow I was not convinced and had tried a coupe of times on highway and had found the drift.

I would definitley not argue with you regarding the Fiesta performance coz I am Fiestian too.
Old 28th January 2010, 10:18   #74
Senior - BHPian

Welcome back after a break !

878 DTE - its a magic number. I dont think anyone so far reported such numbers.
The maximum I got in the recent fuelling was 598.4 !
Old 28th January 2010, 10:37   #75
Senior - BHPian

Wow, it's good to see 878 on the DTE. I have a petrol and I have never gotten more than 450. But my car has never been on a proper highway drive till now. 100% city only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
But somehow I was not convinced and had tried a coupe of times on highway and had found the drift.
I took my Fiesta on a short highway drive just to test the handling. I too felt the car was drifting a bit to the left, but I have never felt it in city driving. I took my 800 on the same road and that was drifting a bit to the left as well. I am 100% sure the 800 does not have alignment issues, so I am attributing the drift to road alignment which must be gently sloped to the left to allow rain water to run to the gutter on the side. I plan to check to check the Fiesta's alignment during the first service anyway.

Most Viewed