Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 12:45   #91
BHPian

The alloys are neat!
Doesn't the aveo come with side mouldings? or is it sold as an option?
Old 27th January 2010, 12:52   #92
BHPian

BRO, it doesnt come with side mouldings !
Old 27th January 2010, 13:30   #93
BHPian

i dont know why but i feel the 1.4 is more responsive than the 1.6..
Old 27th January 2010, 13:39   #94
BHPian

@Wild. Thats plainly the reason I ruled out 1.6 as I didnt feel it was worth the money ! For me, in the 1.6 categorym there is only the Palio sports. Nothing in the mid-size sedan or hatch segment to beat its power and torque !

During the second service(in march), I shall mostly do the 3M detailing and fit the performance air filter. I shall keep everyone posted on the updates with along a detailed review !
Old 11th March 2010, 10:58   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi s3va,
Third service over? Let us know about the experience as well as the 3M detailing :-)
Old 11th March 2010, 12:13   #96
BHPian

Hi Siva, Me too interested in the part where you fit in the performance filter. I have an aveo which is about 4 years and 42000 km's young. I figured that selling it wouldnt fetch me anything, so might as well make it a bit ricer boy types after it completes its 5th birthday. I dont have any complaints about its performance in city driving , but highways make it feel a bit out of breath.
Old 11th March 2010, 12:55   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hi s3va,
Third service over? Let us know about the experience as well as the 3M detailing :-)
Not really. I am giving my car for the 2nd service next week. A detailed report will follow. I dont use my car much to the office these days. So kms tick only during long drives. The car is awaiting to stretch its legs during 27/28 mar when there is a Tbhp meet at Nagarhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Hi Siva, Me too interested in the part where you fit in the performance filter. I have an aveo which is about 4 years and 42000 km's young. I figured that selling it wouldnt fetch me anything, so might as well make it a bit ricer boy types after it completes its 5th birthday. I dont have any complaints about its performance in city driving , but highways make it feel a bit out of breath.
Surprisingly for me, and from other feedbacks that I have seen, highway driving is always a pleasure. Its only during city the low torque at low rpms is a pain at the rear end. So far my top speed have been 160 kmph with room for more without any stability or vibrational issues. Mid & high range rpms have never disappointed me in terms of the torque rendering.

I am thinking 10 times now about the filter. It feels irritating to think so much even to fit a filter considering the warranty going void. I even wrote to GM and i got a strong NO. But I might take a plunge once i complete the 2nd service by takin a chance and going for the filter. I have almost zeroed in on the all time fav K&N, purely for the reason that it is the only after market filter being sold by a Chevy dealer, other wise I want to go for Green Filters. So in future in case of any issues I think I have atleast an argument on my side that I have fitted the one which is officially marketed by Chevy's own dealer ! I know the performance diff would be very marginal and it wont solve my low rpm power concern, but I dont mind to explore probably due to the petrol head factor !

Some quick updates
  • So far the car's been running fine except for few scratch marks on the bumper due to B2B traffic. I intend to get it painted during 2nd service.
  • Also the left most A/C vent shutter has broken for reasons unknown. Need to get them replaced.( I dont want to blame my poor son though I suspect as he is the one who fiddles a lot when he is at the front)
  • I am personally washing the car off late using a wash mitt, sonax shampoo and finally drying it using a 3M Micro fiber detailing cloth. I use Jopasu duster for periodic dusting.
  • With regard to the noises that I had highlighted in some of my earlier posts, I will try to seek again an explanation from the dealer during my second service. Mainly for the noise when i release my clutch(with or without gears) and a boom noise from hood at about 1800 rpm.
  • The drums have started to show slight signs of rust probably due to the hard water at our apt. Need to check. Nevertheless I have planned to paint the brake disc and drums, probably a red color
  • Will do the 3M detailing, that gives 6-8 months of paint protection defenitely this time.
  • I am dying for the car to complete atleast 10k so that I can shift to Synth oil.
  • Some other upgrades i am contemplating for which I need to save Vit M are :
    • My wife and self have already got sick of the car seat covers. Since it was offered to me free by the dealer the fit and finish has been dislied right from day one. So might explore Stanley or Ovion as I want to remove stockseat covers and then cover with leather. need to save money for it.
    • Front Component speakers upgrade - I didnt want to cut doors when I fitted the ICE as soon I got the car, But now I want more at the front. So will go for a 6" comps by modifying the door.
    • Damping of the car to reduce body vibrations due to heavy bass from the Subs.
    • Cabin LED lightings
    • Bulb upgrade - suggestions pls
Old 11th March 2010, 13:09   #98
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Not really. I am giving my car for the 2nd service next week. A detailed report will follow. I dont use my car much to the office these days. So kms tick only during long drives. The car is awaiting to stretch its legs during 27/28 mar when there is a Tbhp meet at Nagarhole !

Quote:
Surprisingly for me, and from other feedbacks that I have seen, highway driving is always a pleasure. Its only during city the low torque at low rpms is a pain at the rear end. So far my top speed have been 160 kmph with room for more without any stability or vibrational issues. Mid & high range rpms have never disappointed me in terms of the torque rendering.
You know what Siva, I was talking about it getting out of breath on highways because of the regular breaking behind trucks to get a side and then overtaking by downshifting. In city ,at least in Ludhiana, i find the performance ok coz i dont have roads or traffic which allow me to push the car beyond 3rd or 4th gear. At off peak hours (after 9p.m.) i usually do not wanna rush it.
Coming to think about it, the sole purpose of this car is defined by it's this characteristic. It's not a car for auto enthusiasts, but one for whom looks,exclusivity,highway stability,interior quality matters the most.

Last edited by isldhn : 11th March 2010 at 13:12.
Old 11th March 2010, 13:47   #99
BHPian

[quote=isldhn;1777121]
Quote:
You know what Siva, I was talking about it getting out of breath on highways because of the regular breaking behind trucks to get a side and then overtaking by downshifting. In city ,at least in Ludhiana, i find the performance ok coz i dont have roads or traffic which allow me to push the car beyond 3rd or 4th gear. At off peak hours (after 9p.m.) i usually do not wanna rush it.
Coming to think about it, the sole purpose of this car is defined by it's this characteristic. It's not a car for auto enthusiasts, but one for whom looks,exclusivity,highway stability,interior quality matters the most.
Right said. I second your thought there ! Ultimately its low end torque coming to your help when you downshift and accelerate, which is kind of not so great in this car ! Ironically, those positive factors that you have mentioned about the AVEO, makes it stand out & doesnt get noticed quite easily by all !
Old 11th March 2010, 14:01   #100
BHPian

Shiva, how about your FE figure? Is it improved from 8-9 you were telling sometime back?
Old 11th March 2010, 15:33   #101
BHPian

@Kavu75, Frankly speaking I havent checked. I will do it this week so that i can report the figures duringmy second service. But at the outset, looking at the fuel gauge behaviour, I dont think there has been any improvement during city rides.
Old 17th March 2010, 15:59   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

s3va,

My 2 bits as follows:

1. Booming noise - same in my Aveo around 2000 rpm. Purely the resonance at that particular engine rpm range. Has reduced a lot in my Aveo now that I have out in 19k km.

2. Seat covers: Unsure if you've checked out Karlsson in Indiranagar as I haven't looked through those threads for quite some time.

3. Bulbs - I disliked my OEM 55/60w so upgraded to Philips Xtreme +80% bulbs. Spent nearly 1.5k as I got them directly from the UK. Am ambivalent about the effects. Certainly better than the stock bulbs but recommended at that price? Not sure! However, you can source them for much lower nowadays.

4. Slightly OT, what is the offset for your alloys?
Old 17th March 2010, 23:07   #103
BHPian

itwasntme, 14x5.5J are the specs for the alloys, so 5.5J !

Karlsson, Stanley look stunning, but completely out of my budget, min 30k as they are pure leathers ! I have shortlisted Marvin/Cerrali/Gsports. Now I am Saving Vit M for the same !

I hope the booming noise fades out as the car ticks more kms.
Old 17th March 2010, 23:30   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Siva, your alloys are 14x6j. Offset isnt 6j. I dont remember the offset of the top of my head, but I will let you know tomorrow.

The rim width is 6j. Offset would be embossed on the inside of the alloy wheel.
Old 18th March 2010, 10:04   #105
BHPian

Nikhil. You are right., Apologies, my gallery itself had the wrong info and I copied the above from there. Yes its 14x6J. I shall try to find the offset today.

I didnt find it on the website here
Stamford Sport Wheels
Closed Thread

Most Viewed