Team-BHP - Scorpio VLX - First drive in the rains with new found love :-)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/)
-   -   Scorpio VLX - First drive in the rains with new found love :-) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/66796-scorpio-vlx-first-drive-rains-new-found-love.html)

First things first - I am not a poetic person. I am an engineer and try to find logic behind everything. So why then the poetic title to this thread. The credit goes to new found liking (would soon become love) - so I decided to dedicate a new thread to it.

Today it was (still is) raining cats and dogs in Pune. By 1700 it became dark, as I watched out of my office window it started raining heavily. Again, I am not the kind of person who wants to get drenched in every rain - some of my friends are. They ride bikes with spare set of cloths in water proof backpack, enjoy getting drenched - come to office - get changed and look forward to getting drenched again on the commute back home. I am not that. I did enjoy bike rides with my then GF and now wife but that's all. Never enjoyed riding/driving alone. I do enjoy getting wet in the first rain and then enjoy the rain from the clean -dry surroundings of my office or home or hotel for the rest of the mosoon :-). Never did I think that I would enjoy the rain in a car.

Enter my new possesion SCORPIO (Java Brown VLX), this beast changed all that. As it started raining I could not resist the urge to drive in the rains, I just had to do it - kind of moment. So packed my stuff and left the office - much earlier.

I never used to look forward to the driving in rain in my 10 year old M800. Although the good old maruti never failed me in such conditions I always wanted to finsih the journey and reach to destination as soon as possible for the fear of breakdown. Had to drive the M800 with exterme caution for the fear of breaks, huge pot holes, weak lights etc so it never was a pleasent experience driving back home in M800 in pouring rains. However hats off to the reliability of the tiny-putter-around, I respect M800 for that. Anyway back to SCORPIO...

So got myslef strapped in the 'TRUCK/TANK', auto headlights - check, auto wiper - check, defogger - check, fog lights - check, USB drive with gazals - check. I was ready for the battle which lay ahead for the next 16 KMs. Was all charged up.

On the road then - the visibility was really poor, could only see few hundread feets ahead, streams of water everywhere, no sign of the huge potholes hidden underneath. Most of the traffic was off-road. All the small cars were driving or had come to almost halt by the roadside with their fog lights on (smiled as I remembered by time in M800). Trucks on the left crawling along. Bikers took shelter where ever they could. And there I was in my SCORP. Felt like I was in a safe cocoon - like the safety capsule - like they have on spacecrafts - although ultra low tech version of it to say the least !

The visibility due to fog lights was good. No problems seeing the road ahead and no fear of someone not seeing the brake lights and rear ending me (the fear I used to have in my small car). Auto wipers stuck to their task well - never had to bother changing the speed - the frequency increased as the rain intensity. AC/Defogger kept the screens clear without hassle. Bridgstone were offering the grip I need in such conditions. I felt as if I was in the zone.

Being in the running-in period and genaerlly cautous driver I never went above 80 KMPH but did not want either as I did not want the drive to finsih soon, but my exit came in 3 kms. I was enjoying the drive so much that decided to drive along further along the highway. Drove another 15 kms on the highway took a U turn again for another 15 KMs, as if I was on highway patrol duty.

Every puddle along the road reminded me of my dilemma when in M800 - to drive through or turn around and find alternate road - not knowing how deep the water would be. Today I was looking for the puddles - tackling them head-on rather than avoiding them. Never had to worry about water getting in the engine or hitting the bottom due to deep pot-hole (one of the major reason for deciding on Scorpio).

Felt absolute safe in the knowledge that ABS would stop the beast when needed. Did gentle braking occasionaly to check if there was any brake fade or diminished braking due to water. Never felt unsafe.

The power was on tap for overtaking those long trailers drag racing each other at speed of 50 kmph. Had strong urge to hit the magical ton/100 but decided to wait for the runing in period to be over.

Eventually the 16 km commute back home turned into 50 KM driving pleasure. Misson accomplished, the SCORP has landed.

So now every day the 33 km office commute has become a 60/70 KM driving fun that I eagerly look forward to. Although not being a early morning person I look forward to getting up at very early at 0545 just so that I can start driving again. I take a longer route every time I can so that I can spend more time behind the wheel and still wait anxiously for the next drive - just like the colleage days when we used to wait eagerly for the date with the loved one :-)

I know exactly how you feel. Driving a car in the rain is a pleasure that cannot be decribed in words. And its even better when driving through puddles :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez (Post 1515925)
I know exactly how you feel. Driving a car in the rain is a pleasure that cannot be decribed in words. And its even better when driving through puddles :D

agree: Totally!

Driving in the rains - with adequate precautions ofcourse - is an absolute pleasure. And it gets even better when you are driving a vehicle you really like.

Driving in the rains is definitely as joyous ride, but think of cleaning those dirt and muds on the car will be a tiresome practise especially those dirty things accumulated in the mud flops etc (it took 1 hour to clean my car after a long drive -say 500kms in 2 days).
All such painful efforts may think twice prior taking the car again in the rain - otherwise it is nice to drive, cautiously, in the rain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nairrk (Post 1516671)
Driving in the rains is definitely as joyous ride, but think of cleaning those dirt and muds on the car will be a tiresome practise especially those dirty things accumulated in the mud flops etc (it took 1 hour to clean my car after a long drive -say 500kms in 2 days).
All such painful efforts may think twice prior taking the car again in the rain - otherwise it is nice to drive, cautiously, in the rain.

That is true, the car has become very dirty, asked the cleaner as to how much charges to clean the car every day - his answer was 300 for a month - then I showed my car - immediate reply was 'ssab isko to 600 lagega, bahot bada gaadi hai' :)

Pictures speak a thousand words, Scorpwarp! C'mon, show us your diesel beast!

Nice writeup though. I like the Scorpio as a work truck. Great reliability (though small niggles are common), excellent engine, light & easy to drive in the city and robust construction (pretty much all Mahindras). The only two significant downsides are the interior space, really not much for such a large SUV, and the high speed dynamics. Still, a great buy for the price, especially when your driving includes city & highway runs both.

Drive safe, will ya.

well put GTO. Thats exactly how I would sum up my needs. The Scorp is a perfect work truck. Now if only the roads of Mumbai would improve enough for me to even dream about getting an Audi TT (I know loads of people already do , but I dont have the heart to see the abuse meted out to her). The Scorp on the other hand would be abusing the roads and not the other way round, which is just perfect.

Scorpwarp - could you shed some light on the notorious problem of Scorpios that I keep hearing about ? Its about the water that the Scorp splashes on its own windscreen when going through puddles and thus blinding the driver for a few moments. Have you faced it? Apparently Mahindra claimed that they had fixed the problem with the latest iteration of the beast but I am told its still very much there.

Nice way with words. Congratulations on your new Scorpio. You seem to be enjoying the advantages of owning an SUV. Kepp the updates flowing in regularly and the thread is definately not complete without pictures.

Drive safe :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 1518375)
Pictures speak a thousand words, Scorpwarp! C'mon, show us your diesel beast!

Nice writeup though. I like the Scorpio as a work truck. Great reliability (though small niggles are common), excellent engine, light & easy to drive in the city and robust construction (pretty much all Mahindras). The only two significant downsides are the interior space, really not much for such a large SUV, and the high speed dynamics. Still, a great buy for the price, especially when your driving includes city & highway runs both.

Drive safe, will ya.

GTO: very true, for the size of the truck the interior is astonishingly cramped, mahindra designers must have taken special efforts for it I guess.. I can not access the map pockets when doors are closed and I do miss the cubby holes in my M800 dash board. In the M800 wifey could very easily seat in the front passenger seat with my kid on her lap, in scorpio it's not just possible due to the grab handle and less space, must be a safety feature I guess :Shockked:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takumi-san (Post 1519116)
well put GTO. Thats exactly how I would sum up my needs. The Scorp is a perfect work truck. Now if only the roads of Mumbai would improve enough for me to even dream about getting an Audi TT (I know loads of people already do , but I dont have the heart to see the abuse meted out to her). The Scorp on the other hand would be abusing the roads and not the other way round, which is just perfect.

Scorpwarp - could you shed some light on the notorious problem of Scorpios that I keep hearing about ? Its about the water that the Scorp splashes on its own windscreen when going through puddles and thus blinding the driver for a few moments. Have you faced it? Apparently Mahindra claimed that they had fixed the problem with the latest iteration of the beast but I am told its still very much there.

I just love the high GC, not a single bother about bad roads.

I did not notice the splash problem when driving through puddles, I will keep this in mind if it rains again and I get a chance to test and keep you updated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dippy (Post 1519129)
Nice way with words. Congratulations on your new Scorpio. You seem to be enjoying the advantages of owning an SUV. Kepp the updates flowing in regularly and the thread is definately not complete without pictures.

Drive safe :)

here are a couple of pics, loads more on the pictures thread.

Congrats scorpwarp,
Fantastic colour. Amazing how young Scorpio looks inspite of being on the road for a number of years now. Ageless beauty.

Congrats Scorpwrap, you have made a wonderful choice. I know how would you feel now -can not be described in words. Drive it safely, handle it like a baby. :-)

Any accessories or modifications made?

(Off topic: I do not see the pictures within the thread, but links to click, any reason?)

Dear ScorpWarp - thank you for your wonderful comments. This makes us feel very humbled and at the same time also extremely happy that this result is achieved and recognized. Which dealer did you buy it from? SJM or Bora Auto. Please do send me your contact details by a PM. I'll call you.

Please accept my best personal regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Congratulations Scorpwarp,
The beast looks amazing in that shade, have seen very less of the color. I also have a 2006 Scorpio SLX which has completed over 50000 kms now and is still running beautifully. No rattles and no problems, engine runs like a gem.

The biggest problem for earlier Scorps was braking but you have now ABS which will help a lot.
Be careful about too deep water, some people have faced problems with ABS sensors if they go through too deep water. Sometimes the sensors dry up but for a few it may result in a trip to ASC.
Waterlogged roads are nothing for Scorpio though, i also take the left lanes in my city wherever roads are blocked as noone dares to go in deeo water barring Scorpio:D

Congrats ScorpWarp for the new car.
It was wonderful to read your experience with the Scorp and rain. Just about 2 facelifts back, it was a bad combo!!:D

after so many days. i get to hear about the scorpy!!

nice writeup! and congrats on your bichu :p